Good Hope vs. Inspire Courage

Darklone

Could someone tell me what's so great about that level 3 bard only spell? At level 8, the bardic Inspire Courage ability is superior IMHO, at least for short combats (up to 5 rounds).

Nightchill

Explorer
Not that much that I can think of. Good Hope affects Ability/Skill Checks and all saving throws (not just fear and enchantment). The duration on Good Hope is also very hefty (1min/level).

Certainly though, a Bard could probably find better use for a 3rd level spell slot. Especially when you factor in Lingering Song (sing for 5 rounds and Inspire Courage will last for 20) and the like :)

The Souljourner

First Post
Yeah, I had a bard, and I shunned this spell. Since you only get so many that you know, it's definitely not worth it to take a spell that your bardic abilities almost completely duplicate. The only thing of value to the spell is the bonus against all saves, and really, that's not worth blowing a spell slot on.

Lingering song is the BOMB. It's a must-take bard feat, in my opinion.

BTW - Nightchill, inspire courage just lasts 5 rounds after you stop singing, so with lingering song, it's 10 rounds after you stop singing. The time it lingers is independant of the time you've spent singing.

That being said, just spending a standard action to start up inspire courage and then letting it ride for 10 rounds while you cast spells and do whatever else you want is pretty awesome. I was very effective as a bard... haste, inspire courage, inspire greatness.... the party would just rip through opponents with all that buffing.

-The Souljourner

Jeremy

Explorer
As is mine. I have newfound respect for the bard class. And with Words of Creation and a natural horn it's going to get even more interesting.

I didn't even want to play a bard.

But Admah kind of got thrust on me.

*nudge wink to Banewarren's veterans*

Last edited:

Darklone

Well... In my looong career as bard multiclass, I would have enjoyed the benefits of Lingering Song only once. No other combat lasted long enough (or was not silenced).

Save bonuses: Take Heroism instead, it's a level 2 spell with a longer duration. ;)
Okok, they stack.

The Souljourner

First Post
Dude, Words of Creation make bards absolutely *sick*! Taking what, 1d4 subdual or some crap like that for doubling the effectiveness of your best bardic ability? Hell yeah! What does a natural horn do again? I forget.

I definitely wanted to play a bard... they are *so* much fun to roleplay, and are almost always useful. My bard was designed to be good at fighting, simply because I think bards should be able to get down and dirty sometimes. They get the second best BAB progression *and* can wear armor, plus get several very good defensive spells - put them to good use!

I think too many people try to dump everything into charisma and forget about fighting, and they end up wasting a lot of the bard's potential. Bards are one of the best classes for having mediocre ability scores across the board.

I used lingering song on many occasions. Maybe our fights were out of the ordinary, but longer than 5 rounds wasn't uncommon. Personally, I think that if fights all end in 3-4 rounds, they're too easy (or too hard). Most likely it means the party's damage potential is just too high.

-The Souljourner

Last edited:

Jeremy

Explorer
1d4 per minimum rank of the ability. So inspire courage is 3 ranks in perform, 3d4 subdual a round.

Natural horns for their inspirational qualities double this again, or triple by D&D 3.x math, at the cost of the bonus to saves.

So I imagine it's something like running up the hill, sounding the charge, then speaking in Words that make the sky brighten, sorta the opposite of Gandalf's speaking of the language of Mordor in the extended Fellowship of the Ring.

CHARGE!!

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Inspire courage only helps attack, damage and saves against charm and fear effects. It only gets to +2 at 8th level.

Good Hope, on the other hand, gives the +2 bonus to ALL saving throws, skill checks and ability checks.

It is only at 14th level bard does inspire competence become preferable to Good Hope IMO.

two

First Post
It's nice for a bard to take a feat that "quickens" bardic music abilities, i.e. makes them a free action.

Quickened Inspire Courage plus a hum-drum 3rd level spell like Haste is a very effective combination. Lots of bonuses across the board. In fact, so many it's hard to keep them straight.

Bone horn I know about and use -- but -- what is WORDS OF CREATION???

Last edited:

Remove ads