FADING SUNS: d20 Space-Fantasy RPG

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Just got this game today and must say this is a meaty book with lots of crunchy bits one can mine for more normal D&D settings like FR, or to compliment space games like SW or Dragonstar. The Social Feats are perhaps the single best example of d20 innovation to be found within this 192 page, $25 softcover from Holistic Design. Social feats are doled out in addition to regular feats and free up your regular feats for combat feats and other necessities. The social feats take care of skills, relationships, affiliations, memberships, knighthoods, etc. I like them a lot!

The setting material is pretty DUNE-ish and well done, kind of like the Dark Ages in space, with magic and technology used side by side. There are new magic systems for psionics and theurgy, new core classes, alien races, new weapons/armor/equipment/vehicles, new skills, new feats (not just social ones), GMing tips, character sheet and more!

The book was definitely worth the time and trouble it took to track down. Thumbs up!

Last edited:

FullTinCan

First Post
Doh...

My local gaming store had a used copy of this for $12. I thought about it, but I decided that Spycraft was too good to pass up, and then got distracted by CoC and El Grande Expansions (boardgame). But it sounds like $12 would have been well worth the cost.

Maybe next time, although FFG Spells & Spellcraft (or whatever it is called) is going to trump the purchase of that book as well.

(OT - Thank you for convincing me, via your rabid applause of Spycraft, to purchase Spycraft. It is amazing! More importantly I am thinking about how the combat system will probably work well in Dragonstar. I also have dreams about making a ShadowRun-esque campaign, where magic is present.)

gustavef

First Post
I have the Original Fading Suns, and this versions has all its good and bad points.

World and History : Excelent. Sure its Dune-ish, but they added their own falvors and changes to make it unique.

Socail Feats : Excellent. Like the backgrounds in the original versions. These are the items that realy define a character. There are so many Socail Feats, that everyone will do someting different.

Psi/Teurguy: Average. Like the original, it has a lot of cool ideas including Hubris and Urge. (As you gain more power, you may start have wierd to dangerous affects) But the mechanics are "different"

Combat: Holistic has never realy had good "mechanical Rules" people. And combat/equipement has some issues. Auto Fire just doesn't make any scense.

The Classes are interesting. But I think they tryed too hard to make one of each PHB Class. The Beastmaster, Starwolf, and Living Weapon were not in the 1st Edition.

Currently I am tinkering with changes to Fading Suns. Currently Stealing heavily from Spycraft, but will be looking as CoC and some of the Polyhedron games.

It has a lots of yummy crunchy bits, but some grisel as well that needs to be trimed and fixed.

-gustavef

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Well, I wrote a long review for this sites of this. But as someone how had the original version of Fading Suns, I was hugely impressed by the d20 version.

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Yes, I'm sure there is gristle between the crunchy bits. But even so, and even if you never wanted to use the setting, you've got all those yummy crunchy bits to swipe and transplant into your d20 game of choice.

My main complaint with Fading Suns d20 is the cheap-o binding they used. I just got the damn thing yesterday and the bottom part of the spine is already coming loose! Not sure how to fix it, or even if it's possible.

FullTinCan: You should've bought FS for $12 when you had the chance, though Spycraft is a sound investment as well. Depends on what you want to do. Having both is an even better answer.

Trance: I read your review and that was one of the things that motivated me to buy FS.

BTW: When I compared it to DUNE, I wasn't complaining! :)

Ranger REG

Explorer
I think that Fading Sun d20 is probably one of the good sci-fi d20-based RPG product that have been overlooked and under the radar.

Here's hoping they invest in hardcover version in the near future.

nsruf

First Post
I bought FS d20 a while ago to compare to the original game in terms of rules, and was a little disappointed at the many odd rules (explosive decompression doing 4d6 damage per round, a Ref save to resist certain psionic touch attacks, etc.) and unconvincing technology (measly firearms damage, no powered armor as in the original, etc.).

But it is probably a step up from the original game, which is often unclear or confusing in terms of game mechanics (and gives average people awfully low chances to succeed at average tasks). And there is still a lot of good stuff to loot in the d20 version;)

For those interested in actually plaing d20 FS, it is more of a customization guide, which requires a lot of tweaking, IMO.

DiamondB

Explorer
I've eyed Fading Suns since it came out and never bought it as my current group isn't big on trying different systems. "If it ain't Shadowrun or D&D it ain't worth playin'." I was looking forward to the d20 version as I knew I could "cut and paste" with much less difficulty. I was seriously disappointed in the fact that they went with the paperback option instead of hardcover and as such I have yet to purchase it. I am really hoping that a hardcover does come out, I'll purchase that without a second thought.

Florin

First Post
I'd be VERY surprised if they made a hardcover edition of it. I know that the 1st edition of Fading Suns was done softcover, because I own it. I never looked at the 2nd edition. I wouldn't hold my breath for a hardcover, so find some other reason to buy it. :D

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases