Constructs revisited (Mongoose's Constructs supplement)

Devon

First Post
I received a copy of "Constructs" yesterday, and it's been quite a nice sourcebook.

There is an option for Extra Limbs which includes wings, although anything other than a Simulacrum (ex:
homunculus) with flight gets Poor maneuverability, so I am going to have to figure out an enhanced version
of flight for those quicker, bird-like automatons.

Also, giving extra intelligence to constructs isn't really addressed. You can give one Speech, which gives it
+3 to Int, or an 8 Int, whichever is higher, but making more intelligent golems and automata isn't addressed.
Only simulacra, which are based upon actual creatures, seem to have the capacity for above-average
intelligence.

The whole thing is set up with a base Cost Rating, which is increased as you add more features. You get
more base abilities depending on which type you go for: Golem (few abilities, very tough), Automata (weaker
than golems, but capable of possessing more abilities), and Simulacra (which is more like a template applied
to a base creature, like Erica's Flesh Golem template), adding Cost Rating.

When you're done adding abilities, you multiply to get the body cost, total cost, and xp cost.

There's a system for determining the DC for creating each type. They have a base set of HD-related stats
for various golem types: bone, wood, gold, adamantium, etc., as well as for automata. Simulacra, as before,
are treated as templates.

Overall, it looks like a nice system, but I still need to playtest it. I'll be changing the creation requirements
on a couple of my golems, but some abilities (like the Chain Golem's Flurry ability) will need to be spliced into
their system for balance purposes.

I may have to add Extra Intelligence and Quick Flight as additional abilities, with their own Construction
costs and requirements. If anyone who has the Constructs book is interested, I can post them, or we can
perhyaps workshop these abilities.

- Devon

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases