new spell - please comment

Dark Dragon

Explorer
Hi folks,

here's a spell a player in my group has invented. I think it's a little underpowered and I'd be glad about any comment.

Kelton's Knife

Evocation (Force), Sor / Wiz 5

Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft. / level)
Components: V, S, M
Duration: 1 round / 3 levels
Target: 1 creature
Spell Resistance: Yes
Saving Throw: None

The spell creates five glowing, sharp shurikens of pure energy. The shurikens whirl around the choosen target and strike it randomly, dealing altogether 5d4 points of continual damage. A shield-spell does not block the shurikens. Once a target is chosen, the spell can't be redirected to another. The shurikens stay close to the victim, even if it moves out of range, becomes invisible or incorporal. Successful teleportation spells (like blink, dimension door, teleport) free the target and the shurikens vanish. The spells ends also when the target is killed or the duration expires.
Arcane material component: A shuriken and a diamond (50 GP worth at least).

What do you think?

trentonjoe

Explorer
3 rounds of 5d4 damage with no save? It'll be a mage killer or atleast a mage stopper.

As a 5th level spell it seems okay to me. Seems on par with cone of cold damage wise (15d4 no save vs one - 9d6 vs a group).

Seeing that there are no damage spells at 5th level I think I would allow it. If it turns out to be outa whack just adjusted it later.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
On 9th level, this spell deals on average 37.5 damage to a single target over 3 rounds. Cone of cold deals 31.5/15.75 damage to a group in one round. As long as there are at least 2 people, cone of cold is better.

I think it could use some extra perks. Any ideas?

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
For those of you who think it's a little underpowered don't forget that (Force) spells have a couple of nice (but subtle) extras - for one thing, they'll affect intangible creatures, plus most creatures don't have immunities to them.

If it's still underpowered, you might consider upping the duration. At 1 round/2 levels, this spell would inflict 12.5 hp/round for a total of 37.5 at 9th level or 50 hp total at 10th.

You could also consider upping the range to Long, or Line-of-sight.

Upping the die size is probably too much (5d6 = 17.5/rnd, 5d8 = 22.5/rnd), as is increasing the number of dice (6d4 = 15/rnd, 7d4 = 17.5/rnd, 8d4 = 20/rnd).

As a higher level variant you might even consider Kelton's Whirling Blades of Doom (or some such) - basically the same spell, with level-scaling damage dice that can be assigned to independent targets.

But honestly, I think it's just about bang on - more than a 4th and less than a 6th. "Kelton" did a good job.

Dark Dragon

Explorer
Thanx a lot for the comments. It seems that there is not much to change, but the spell has to be tested in the game... ;)

GuardianLurker said:
For those of you who think it's a little underpowered don't forget that (Force) spells have a couple of nice (but subtle) extras - for one thing, they'll affect intangible creatures, plus most creatures don't have immunities to them.

Right. That's why the spell should target only one creature. A Cone of Cold can be resisted by Protection from Elements
and similar spells, and Evasion and Improved Evasion would help against a CoC, too. As an area or multi-target-spell, the Knife it would be too powerful, IMO.

GuardianLurker said:
If it's still underpowered, you might consider upping the duration. At 1 round/2 levels, this spell would inflict 12.5 hp/round for a total of 37.5 at 9th level or 50 hp total at 10th. You could also consider upping the range to Long, or Line-of-sight.

Hmmm, have to consider this. It would be closer to the CoC-damage.

GuardianLurker said:
Upping the die size is probably too much (5d6 = 17.5/rnd, 5d8 = 22.5/rnd), as is increasing the number of dice (6d4 = 15/rnd, 7d4 = 17.5/rnd, 8d4 = 20/rnd).

Yap, the number and type of die is ok, IMHO. Changing the duration seems to be an option.

GuardianLurker said:
As a higher level variant you might even consider Kelton's Whirling Blades of Doom (or some such) - basically the same spell, with level-scaling damage dice that can be assigned to independent targets.

:D Good idea, just thinking of it...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases