new spell - alter spell signature

Pigeon

First Post
Every week I set a challenge for my players in order to get them to write backgrounds, think about their characters philosophys ect. One weeks challenge was to create a 0 level spell and one of my players came up with this.
------------------

Alter Spell Signature
Universal
Level: Cleric 0, Druid 0, Wizard 0, Sorcerer 0, Bard 0
Components: V
Casting time: 1 round
Range: affected spell.
Area: affected spell.
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: no (harmless)
Spell Resistance: no

This spell allows the caster can alter existing sensory effects of a spell. Many magic users use this spell to hide unique effects of their spells. For example, the Fireball spell creates a ball of flame (usually yellow/orange in colour) that creates a blast of noise as it hits. It has no taste, no smell (the burning smell is the after effect of a fireball not the actual spell) and its tactile quality is heat (it burns). Using Alter Spell Signature the caster can change the colour of the fireball (to green, pink, blue etc), change the sound (to moans, screams etc) but not the smell (as that isn't the actual spell as stated above) nor could it add taste or its tactile properties as this would result in a change of the actual spell.

The caster must specify the spell they wish to be affected and the results they wish to produce at the same time as they cast Alter Spell Signature. The affected spell must be cast within the duration of Alter Spell Signature or the effects are lost.

Note: This spell cannot add effects or alter effects that would alter the spell (such as changing heat to cold) and all the effects are cosmetic only and can have no real useful effect. As always the DM as final call on what this spell can change.

Last edited:

Magus_Jerel

First Post
1. It's transmutation - not universal.

2. The target would have to be the spell - and thus this is not useable on an instantaneous spell - such as fireball.

Pigeon

First Post
Magus_Jerel said:
1. It's transmutation - not universal.

Mmm...yes you're probably right

Magus_Jerel said:
2. The target would have to be the spell - and thus this is not useable on an instantaneous spell - such as fireball. [/B]

I would disagree, you could specify that "the next fireball I cast will look like this...." and as long as you cast the fireball within the spell durationit would appear like you designated.

Perhaps this could be made clearer in the description.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll pass them on to my player.

Steven McRownt

First Post
I suggest you to make it a feat. The gaming consequences could be a +2 in spellcraft checks to show the diffuclt to understand thae real spell.
Perhaps the prereq could be a 15+ in the relevant ability... and of course able to cast arcane or divine spells!!!!

Steven McRownt

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases