What's left from the Fiend Folio (1981).

Which do you want to see converted in the Creature Catalog? (vote for more than 1)

• Assassin bug

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Enveloper

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Giant, mountain

• Gorbel

• Gremlin (also galltrit, mite)

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Lizard king

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Nonafel

• Terithran

• Trilloch

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Umpleby

Votes: 3 23.1%

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
These are the final remaining creatures, yet to be converted from the Fiend Folio (1981 version). Take your time, and let us know what you want to see here! :)

I have already done conversions of the booka, mountain giant, gryph, and stunjelly, but vote for them anyway if you want to see them in the Creature Catalog. :)

Since there are only 10 spots open on a poll, I had to leave the following creatures out, so if you want to see them, respond to this post:

Aleax
Astral searcher
Blood hawk
Bloodworm
Booka
Denzelian
Doombat
Eye killer
Garbug
Goldbug
Gryph
Guardian familiar
Hornet, giant
Imorph
Kelpie
Mantari
Pernicon
Poltergeist
Protein polymorph
Stunjelly
Sussurus
Symbiotic jelly
Thork
Throat leech
Tiger fly
Troll (giant, spirit)
Urchin
Vision
Whipweed
Whitherweed

Grazzt

Demon Lord
I did the mountain giant the other day; should be posted today/tonite.

I dont really see a point in converting the Lizard King (just my opinion though) as it is really nothing more (or less) than an advanced Lizard Man.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Guardian Familiar is done as well (for an upcoming Necro book). I'll scrounger up the conversion I did and post it.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Grazzt said:
I did the mountain giant the other day; should be posted today/tonite.

aww, so you're not going to use mine? ;)

did this one back in august or september... like most of the stuff i did before i joined the CC, the text is mostly copied from the source.

Mountain Giant
Large Giant
Hit Dice: 15d8+75 (142 hp)
Initiative: +1 (Dex)
Speed: 30 ft.
AC: 18 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +8 natural)
Attacks: Huge club +20/+15/+10 melee; or rock +12/+7/+2 ranged
Damage: Huge club 4d10 +15; or rock 2d10+10
Face/Reach: 5 ft. by 5 ft./10 ft
Special Attacks: Rock throwing
Special Qualities: Rock catching, summon giants
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +6, Will +5
Abilities: Str 31, Dex 12, Con 20, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 11
Skills: Climb +12, Hide +6, Jump +13, Listen +8, Spot +8
Feats: Alertness, Cleave, Point Blank Shot, Power Attack

Climate/Terrain: Any mountains
Organization: Solitary, pair, family (1-4 plus 35% noncombatants plus 1 1st-level adept, plus 1-8 ogres, 1-4 trolls, or 1-2 hill giants), tribe (3-6 families plus 1 3rd-level adept per family)
Challenge Rating: 11
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic neutral
Advancement: By character class

Mountain giants are huge humanoids that live in remote mountain caverns.
Standing 14 feet tall and weighing 2,000 pounds, mountain giants are impressive foes. They greatly resemble hill giants. Their skin color is a light tan to reddish brown with straight black hair. The males have heavy beards but no mustaches, and they have large pot bellies. They are typically clothed in rough hides or skins and carry huge clubs as weapons. The stale reek of a mountain giant can be detected several hundred feet downwind.
Mountain giants speak Giant.

COMBAT
Mountain giants always attack in a straight-forward manner, not by ambush or deceit. They love to get into a high, unassailable spot with lots of boulders. When in such a position, mountain giants rarely take cover, but stand in the open to fling boulders down on their opponents.
In melee they use huge clubs that are usually just large tree limbs or logs. They usually keep several such weapons around.
(For descriptions of rock throwing and rock catching, see the Monster Manual.)
Summon Giants (Su): A mountain giant can summon and control other monsters. This summoning takes an hour to perform and 1d6 hours pass before the creatures appear. A summoning results in either 1d10+5 ogres (70%), 1d6+3 trolls (20%), or 1d4 hill giants (10%), although the giant has no idea in advance of what he will get. The control is very loose, not absolute domination. The mountain giant can give a broadly defined command and the monsters obey as they see fit. The summoned monsters stay with and fight for the mountain giant, but they value their own lives over that of the giant. The summoned creatures stay with the mountain giant until killed, sent away, or another summoning is made.
Skills: A mountain giant receives a +4 to Climb and Hide checks in mountainous regions.

SOCIETY
The home of a family of mountain giants is often in a large rock cavern in a mountain. Frequently there are unexplored passages leading out of the giants' home. They rarely have any interest in anything beyond their cavern. There is a strong likelihood of summoned creatures acting as guards and underlings in the cavern.
The females and young are rarely seen, since they stick close to the cavern. Mountain giants are polygamous, usually one female living with several males. Three quarters of the young are male, which accounts for their low population.
There is a chance that one of the giants in a family is an adept of 1st or 2nd level. This adept has access to the domains of Animal, Chaos, Healing, and Trickery. He has an innate ability to find caves and cavern entrances within half a mile, unless these are magically hidden.
While only one family is found in a given lair, several families make up a loose tribe scattered over a mountain or range. Each tribe has a 3rd-level shaman as its leader. He presides over the extremely rare gatherings of the tribe and counsels those willing to travel to talk to him. The shaman always lives with a group of summoned monsters, but never with other mountain giants.
Mountain giants are foragers and hunters. Their favorite food is mountain sheep. They also eat nuts, tubers, and other edible mountain plants. Nothing hunts mountain giants, but sometimes they pick the wrong cave in which to set up housekeeping. Since they tend not to fully explore all the back tunnels, nasty things from underground have been known to attack and devour sleeping giants.
Since these giants are neither good nor evil, it is possible to set up peaceful relations with them. However, they are suspicious of and reluctant to deal with outsiders.

The mountain giant first appeared in the Fiend Folio (1981). The mountain giant subsequently appeared in the second Forgotten Realms Monstrous Compendium MC11, and the 2nd edition Monstrous Manual.

Last edited:

Krishnath

First Post
hmm, Guardian Familiar, Poltergeist and the trolls would be nice, I don't know what the other creatures are though, so... And from the vote, I'd love to have a conversion of the gorble.... :D

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Boz-man I had completely forgotten about the one you did in the forum. I just posted my version. I'll take em and combine them. I saw some things you did that work better.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
no problem. :) that's why i'm hoping for the old boards to be up soon so we can grab stuff off of there. a number of my conversions were inspired by ones done by other people. it always helps to have someone else's perspective on the way something works.

Remove ads