Tantras - Forgotten Realms Campaign

How do you rate the journal?

• It's so boring I'd rather watch paint dry.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I always read it when I can't sleep.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • It's ok, but nothing special.

• I like it.

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • I'll buy the book the minute it is published.

Corran

Explorer
The following is an 'in character' journal of a new Forgotten Realms Campaign we have just begun.

The journal can also be read (and downloaded) at the Forgotten Realms Campaigns website. The website also has the character sheets for all the characters and some other extra's.

Houserules:

• Magic Item creation limited in the following fashion: cost of magic items with more than one function will be increased. Two functions: all costs quadrupled. Three functions: cost multiplied by 9, etc. Some items seem to be far too cheap. Before getting into magic item creation, discuss what you want to do with DM first.
  • All characters gain the Cosmopolitan feat once for a skill of their choice.
  • Some spells have been removed: Improved Invisibility, Raise Dead, Resurrection, True Resurrection, Harm, Teleport, Teleport without Error.
  • Raising the dead is only possible with these 2 spells: Wish (cost 5000 XP) and Miracle (no XP cost).
  • For spells having a material component which costs money, the amount must be deducted from your treasury.
  • Duration of the Spikes spell (from Defenders of the Faith) has been reduced to 1 minute per level.
  • XP bonuses for heroism and bright ideas.
  • When you die you lose 300 XP per level (for your new or raised character).

I'll try to get the other players to post some stuff too, but don't hold your breath. ;-)

The Characters:

Borric Warhammer - 56 year old 1st level Shield Dwarf Fighter from Citadel Felbarr.

Cadrach Ivar Tallendar - 26 year old 1st level Human Cleric of Waukeen from Selgaunt, Sembia.

Calim Russale - 21 year old 1st level Human Ranger (Monte Cook version) from Shadowdale, born in Calimshan and formerly from Zhentil Keep.

Celedor Ganascient - 120 year old 1st level Sun Elf Wizard from Silverymoon.

Finn Margaster - 24 year old 1st level Human Rogue from Waterdeep.

Varsk Mandrake - 17 year old 1st level Human Uthgardt Barbarian (Great Worm Tribe).

Last edited:

Corran

Explorer
Posted on previous message board by Broccli_Head

Don't know if I agree with you restrictions. I think raising has its own inherrent penalty of losing a level by the already establised rules. Players don't like falling behind; so even with raises, I have seen players retire and start with a new character introduced at level (but barely).

Magic item creation also has its drawbacks. Plus, I am finding out that there are some errors. For example, the cost of boots of striding and springing is too low. I guess my view is that if its in the game its legit. However, I do have a nasty house rule that makes it easier for 'stuff' to get destroyed. You can also give the bad guys goodies AND not let the players get their hands on them by keying the items to alignment (which is in the rules!)

Why did you remove ImpInvis and Teleports? What about portals?

I do like the material component rule.

Corran

Explorer
Posted on previous message board by Dante

Since I'm the DM of this particular game, I'll try to answer your questions. First, for the cost of being raised by a wish, perhaps you misunderstood. The 5000 XP cost is for the person casting the wish, as per the usual XP cost of the spell. There is no additional cost for the person being raised.

As for magic items, this is just a guideline so my players know roughly what to expect. I agree with you the costs of boots of striding and springing are too low, I deal with this aspect of magic item creation as it happens. The houserule is just a reminder to players to talk to me before getting magic item creation feats and building their own stuff.

I don't want to use the alignment-restricted items, I think they are not a sportsmanlike way to deal with the situation. Only in exceptional cases with really evil and powerful NPC's with items which have 'evil' abilities do I use aligned items. This is just a personal choice on my part.

I removed Improved Invisibility and Teleport mainly because in the end I expect a better game because of it. A second reason is that there would be no reason for evil NPC's not to use the same method, and PC's are very vulnerable to this type of attack. Since I don't want to use it on the PC's because it is no fun, I think removing it from the PC's repertoire as well would be fair.

I do allow portals, but they don't cause the same problems as PC's (or NPC's) zapping around all the time. I don't think most of my players mind, because I do tend to let NPC's make good use of teleport to escape them. Now their possibilities for fleeing are much more limited, gicing the PC's better odds in intercepting them.

regards,

Dante

Corran

Explorer
Character History

Margaster Family Tree deleted, doesn't look too good outside of Word. It's in the Word file on the website.

Finn was born on 5 Tarsakh in The Year of the Spur (1348), in the Margaster family villa. He has lived his entire live in Waterdeep, either in the family villa or his father’s townhouse in the Southern Ward. Most of his formative years were spent in the family villa, surrounded by his brother, sister and nieces and nephews. Life was good in the villa in the North Ward. The villa is circled by Shattercrock Alley and Stabbed Sailor Alley, which in turn are located at the crossing of Vhezoar Street and Tarnath Street. Many were the days that Finn spent lazing under the trees in the courtyard or playing with the other Margaster children in the alleys surrounding the villa. The alleys are, in spite of their names, safe enough, the North Ward is patrolled intensively.

Finn was a source of frustration for the family teachers as he could imitate them quite well, to the amusement of the other children. He was not a bad student, but he had a short attention span and the annoying tendency to jump to any topic he liked at any time. Because he had a lot of interest the lesson would follow some strange courses, handling with Margaster family history one minute and Mulhorandi culture the next. He did not mind reading books, as long as they were short, but he much preferred a more interactive way of learning. When he was 10 years old he broke his leg while playing godswar, he played Cyric of course, overacting with a funny accent. Since that time he favours his right leg, even though the wound has healed completely.

His younger sister Tannyth is very special to Finn. He has always been very protective of her, she would probably say over protective. Much of this might have to do with an incident when Tannyth was four years old. She was playing in the garden and the servant who was supposed to look after her had gone inside to get something to drink. At that moment a wild dog jumps on the wall and into the garden. Tannyth screamed and Finn, who was playing somewhere in the alley, heard the scream. He instinctively new where exactly in the garden his sister was, he rushed to the wall, climbed it, and jumped into the garden. The dog meanwhile was circling his terrified sister. The adrenaline won from Finn’s fear and he ran to the dog and clobbered it on the nose. The dog shrank back and at that moment house guards and servants ran into the garden. Their presence must have scared the dog; he jumped up and over the wall. Since then Finn has been trying to protect her from everything. He usually knows where to find her, and on numerous occasions he has checked on her in the late hours. Tannyth finds Finn’s protectiveness a bit stifling but she is also very protective of him.

Finn was, and is, interested in the family business, but only in the broad sense. He has no patience for the details and the administrative side; he just likes the way trade works and meeting foreign merchants. With no chance of ever having to lead the family business, he decided early on he would do whatever interested him. This is not uncommon for Waterdhavian nobles, and unlike the most, he did more than just loaf around. When he was 14 he accompanied his uncle Thentias on a trip to Silverymoon. This took all of Finn’s persuasion power, but it gave his confidence a great boost when his uncle at last agreed to take him along. Silverymoon was quite an eye-opener for Finn who had never been to another city. The city was so different from Waterdeep and Finn was quite disappointed that he could not visit everywhere in the tenday they were staying. He did visit the palace with his uncle and sat in on some trade negotiations (unavoidable, as ‘business experience’ was one of the ‘arguments’ that had helped him to get along in the first place). He did surprise his uncle with his ability to detect when a merchant was being economical with the truth.

Back in Waterdeep Finn decided he wanted to be a wizard; three months later he decided he wouldn’t be a wizard after all. His hormones set in not long after and he spent the next years visiting any revel and party in the city. He wooed noble girls and barmaids in equal measure and with remarkable efficiency. He likes the good looking, quiet and shy girls, although he carries a torch for his aunt Circe and the lady mage of Waterdeep, Laeral Silverhand. It was in the many taverns of Waterdeep where Finn got his love of gambling. Fortunately he became good enough at it, to not lose any money, usually. His favourite games are elemental empires, poker and talison. His favourite inns and taverns are: The Raging Lion, Gondalim’s, The Singing Sword, The Jade Jug and The Spouting Fish. His favourite drinks: guldathen nectar and raspberry beer (the latter is sold almost nowhere to Finn’s infinite regret).

During these years he started acting in some of the stage plays being organised in the city, to the abhorrence of the more conservative members of his family. He is not a bad actor, but the infrequency of his appearances drove most theatre companies wild. His best work to date was in the play Lord Alurmal’s Double-Edged Revenge. This got him a remarkably positive mention in a review by One-Eyed Jack in the Waterdeep Watch broadsheet. He was also invited by Regnet Amcathra to join the Deep Delvers. However during his first foray into Undermountain he quickly found out he didn’t particularly enjoy narrow, dark spaces. In the second room the noise of some rats was enough to make him flee back to the lift to the Yawning Portal. He got ribbed about this by the Deep Delvers, but he managed to get a spin on it, so the truth never got out to the general public.

Finn also needed his skills when sore losers tried to get physical after a game of chance. He was often able to either talk, bluff or intimidate his way out of trouble, but not always. After being beaten mercilessly one time, he decided that running away might not be such a bad option, fortunately no scars remain. Afterwards he decided to always carry two daggers, as a deterrent only, one should never draw steel in a fight unless one intends to use it, Finn doesn’t, can’t. Although he did get weapon training just like everyone in the family, he is no swordmaster. Cudann taught him the typical Waterdeep sword and dagger style, with longsword, shortsword, epee, rapier and dagger as primary weapons. Dagger throwing comes easy to Finn, and he also above average with the long- and shortbow. There are however enough better marksmen out there. His biggest achievement to date is bringing down a deer with one arrow. That he and his friends twice had to flee from an annoyed black bear is something they’d rather not talk about. Finn is not a big hunter but he likes being away from Waterdeep from time to time. The hunting lodges and inns have much to offer. There are also some nice secluded glades in most forests, perfect for any liaison.

Religion has Finn’s interest, the many gods of the pantheon are so diverse and many of them have something that draws Finn’s attention. He has no patron deity, but he visits the temples of the gods he likes. Since he makes sizeable donations and has a sincere interest in the gods, he is well liked by the priests. Although some religions think his attitude is to carefree, one should firmly praise one god above all others in their beliefs. Finn is interested in / intrigued by the following gods (listed alphabetically): Deneir, Eilistraee, Eldath, Gond, Illmater (amazement mostly), Isis, Lliira, Mielikki, Milil, Mystra, Oghma, Shaundakul, Shiallia, Siamorphe, Sune, Thoth, Tymora, and Waukeen.

As mentioned previously, Finn has an interested in other races and cultures. He has learned to speak Elven and Dwarven, if he had the time he would learn all the other languages there are too. He has quite a collection of bric a brac from places far away. He is most fond of his bronze Mulhorandi kopesh and the book of poetry written in an obscure elven dialect. His interest in foreign cultures means that he always knows some obscure piece of trivia about one thing or another. For example: the mating habits of foxes in Damara or the fertility rites of ancient Mulhorandi.

In 1366, New Olam Bard’s College was opened in Waterdeep. Finn enrolled immediately, only to find out that he is no gifted musician. He spent over seven months in the college and when he finally left, he was just about proficient on the songhorn and the yarting. A couple of years later Finn had the unique opportunity to visit to Candlekeep. Knowing that this was a once in a lifetime chance he took it with both hands. In the month he was allowed to stay he read a lot of dusty old books and found out that some of those monks are a lot better at gambling than you would think. After reading and talking about all those other lands out there, Finn decide it was time to go and take a look.

Back in Waterdeep he decided to go east, as he could go with one of the family’s caravans to Suzail in Cormyr and from there by ship further east. In Candlekeep he met a wizard from Halruaa, named Aresi, whom he promised to visit if he could. So after travelling east for a spell, his plan is to go south. After getting some useful and not so useful tips from his friends and family and after lengthy send off party, Finn left for Suzail.

His friends:

Erin Amcathra (she’s a childhood friend; they’ve never been romantically involved).

Dalene Estelmer (old girlfriend, her brother is also called Finn, quite confusing some times).

Jynnia (old girlfriend, works at The Singing Sword).

Citta Emmarask (yet another old girlfriend).

Brenton Eirontalar (hunting buddy, sometime protector and all around good guy).

Koris Helmfast (drinking buddy, fellow reveller).

Nimor Thorp (childhood friend, scoundrel, he gets them in trouble all the time).

Morus ‘Silvertongue’ (bard and sometime gambler).

Corran

Explorer
Before the first session.

3 Nightal, Year of the Unstrung Harp (1371)

Well, I’ve decided to keep a journal; life on a ship can be quite boring. Perhaps it’s best to recap first. On the first day of Eleint I left Waterdeep with our Suzail caravan. The night before we had a nice party and I managed to say goodbye to just about everyone I wanted to. My uncle and my father gave me some pocket money and some papers for the captain of the Cresting Wave, whom I’m to meet in Suzail. Apparently, the captain is a nephew of aunt Naryel, I wonder if he’s anything like her. I said goodbye to Tannyth and told her to be careful, now that I’m no longer around to look after her. She told me to be careful too, now that she’s no longer there to protect me, she always makes me laugh. I asked Aidan to look after her. Erin gave me a beautiful rapier, according to her it’s one of only few ever made by her family. She’s always so thoughtful; I have to make sure I get something really interesting and beautiful to give to her when I get back.

The journey to Cormyr was quite uneventful, and very dusty. We were not once attacked; this is because we guard our caravans quite well, as opposed to say the Seven Suns Trading Coster. I can’t understand why people still use them, their cargo has as big a chance to arrive or not. Uktar 19th we arrived in Suzail. We were just in time as the Cresting Wave was leaving port the next day. If I had arrived a day later I might have had to wait up to two months for it to return. I gave captain Wavesilver the papers and I got a cabin on the ship. The Cresting Wave is a 120 foot long schooner, one of the largest ships to sail the Sea of Fallen Stars according to the first mate.

The next day we left for Selgaunt. I got seasick real quick and according to the captain the waves were as calm as they can be. Seasickness is something I wouldn’t want to wish on my worst enemy. The first days you feel like you are going to die, after that you just wish you were dead, to end the agony. After about seven days I finally overcame the seasickness. The next two days I just sat on the deck, too weak to do anything else. After that I tried to help around the ship, but I soon learned how it is to be sailor, you’ve got to be as strong as a bear just to keep on your feet. The next day was the Feast of the Moon and we arrived in Selgaunt.

I went to some of the inns and taverns to see some of the city life and I wasn’t impressed. While the buildings in the good parts of the city are on par with those in the North Ward of Waterdeep, most of the people here are incredibly arrogant. They sneer at anyone, and make derisive comments about everything. I guess the money must have gone to their heads. Suffice to say, I was back at the inn quite early. Captain Wavesilver must have had some good contacts, because the loading and unloading was done on the Feast of the Moon and we sailed just after dusk the following day.

The next port of call on the journey is the city of Tantras; the ship will then sail back to Selgaunt and Suzail. I think I will stay in Tantras and see where to go from there.

Yesterday I got in on a game of knucklebones and I lost a couple of gold pieces, I guess I’m better at card games. These sailors are quite nice guys, not at all the grumpy ogres one would expect. Those guys have quite the stories to tell, although I think the veracity of the tales is often somewhat suspect. It’s certainly quite amusing, if nothing else.

6 Nightal

I saw an enormous whale! Around highsun a whale suddenly appeared of the starboard bow. It was the biggest creature I’ve ever seen. The leviathan must have been over ninety feet at least. I think whales must be the most majestic creatures of Faerûn; even dragons don’t look that regal. According to the sailors, a lot more whales are seen in the Sea of Fallen Stars since the Sahuagin attacks two years ago.

11 Nightal

We arrived in Tantras today; it’s quite a bizarre experience sailing into this harbour. All along the harbour there are these large, skeletal, wooden constructions. After some closer scrutiny, they appeared to be cranes. One of the sailors told me the cranes were installed by the temple of Gond. I’m certainly going to visit that temple in the next couple of days.

On the advice of captain Wavesilver, I’ve rented a room in The Lazy Moon Inn. It’s a nice, bustling kind of establishment on Shendle Street, not far from the harbour. Today I’ll just stay in and try to get my ‘land legs’ back.

21 Nightal

What a week, I’ve been all over the city and I met this girl. I went and played tourist of course. I visited The Temple of Torm’s Coming after morningfeast on the first day. The temple is a big sprawling complex filled with priests and acolytes. This is the largest temple of Torm in all of the realms. Not really a surprise as Torm himself lived here during the Godswar. Not only that, but he died here too, fighting with Bane. Both gods were destroyed and as a result a large area of the city and its surrounding is now magically dead. The temple is an island in this magic dead zone. I’ve heard that many people on the run from the Red Wizards, the Zentharim and other organisations flee to this dead magic area. That seems a bit short sighted, I’m sure those organisations can pay some mercenaries to go and collect those they seek.

Afterwards I went to The House of Skilled Hands, the temple of Gond. It’s a fascinating building; there are cogs and gears all over the place. I talked with one of the priests about the cranes in the harbour. He told me they have also installed those cranes in Scardale and in Baldur’s Gate! I couldn’t believe my ears, so close to Waterdeep. I asked him why they hadn’t approached Waterdeep with their services. According to him they had, but the port authorities were not interested. I’m going to ask some questions about this when I get back.

The next day I met Jela. We had a wild time and we did a lot of things I can’t even remember. I do remember some nights spent at the House of Twilight and the Silly Satyr. Unfortunately she had to go back to Raven’s Bluff today. So I said my goodbyes at the gate and I promised to visit her if I am ever in the city. Now I’m going to get some sleep.

1 Hammer, Year of Wild Magic (1372)

So, today is the first day of a new year. I wonder why Augathra named it the year of Wild Magic, if I was living next to a wizard, I might start thinking about moving. I really hope this does not predict another chaos like the one during the Godswar. Although you never know what Augathra meant anyway, last year I suspected something to happen to the bards, nothing happened.

Last night, End Year’s Eve, was wild, I think I’ll just sit a bit at the fireplace today.

Corran

Explorer
Session 1 – Wednesday, September 26, 2001.

2 Hammer

Today I met some new people. A priest of Waukeen from Selgaunt named Cadrach Ivar Tallendar. He seems to be a nice guy, better than those I met in Selgaunt anyway. He was accompanied by two others, a scarred warrior named Calim Russale and a redheaded giant of a man named Varsk Mandrake. I heard Cadrach asking for men to work as guards on a merchant mission to Scardale Town. My curiosity got the better of me and I approached him. The story is that a merchant friend of Cadrach’s family is sailing for Scardale Town soon and he is short a number of guards. Why these guards are so necessary he couldn’t tell me.

I invited him and his friends to have dinner with me and we talked about some other things. I learned that Cadrach is scion of the Tallendar family. I knew of the family of course, they deal in jewellery, antiques and furniture. They are not very big and they do most of their business in Amn, Tethyr and Calimshan. Cadrach is looking to start out on his own, but he needs the capital to start his business. Therefore he has plans to attract some adventurers and sponsor them and to go on adventures with them. I’m not so sure if there is much money in that, but he has already found two men willing to go with him. I suggested that we might work together and start a company as partners. He was not very receptive to the idea, which I guess is not very strange.

I changed subjects after that and asked him why he had become a priest of Waukeen. With the goddess having returned for only a year or so, I wouldn’t think people are flocking to her faith. What he told me was this: it is common in his family for one member in each generation to join the clergy of Waukeen. Also, with the return of the goddess there was quite a demand for priests and he was made an offer he couldn’t refuse.

I also learned some things about his companions. Calim hails from Shadowdale and he is proficient with a bow, he was, I think, being modest here. I’m curious to see how good he really is. I didn’t ask him about the scars in his face, but they are many, and they appear to be old. Varsk is from The North, as far as I can tell he is an Uthgardt barbarian. He told me he was a member of the Great Worm tribe, I think they live somewhere to the north of Silverymoon. In parting I told Cadrach that I would think about this guard work and get back to him.

3 Hammer

I did some checking and I found out some things about the guard job. I went to the merchant who is looking for the guards. This man, who is also the captain of the ship, called Anrod Naskurl told me that he is indeed looking for guards. He says he needs the guards because of the pirates that sometimes sail the Dragon Reach and because of the tense situation in divided Scardale Town. He does not think the chances of getting into a fight are great, but going without guards is asking for trouble. I asked him about the Shaking Plague that has decimated the town. According to him the plague has run it’s course and no one has contracted it the last three months. I’m not so sure about that, but Anrod thinks so anyway. I gathered some additional information about the plague and it seems it has gone away. I am getting pretty bored here, and it does give me a chance to visit Scardale and get paid for it as well. We should be back in about a tenday at most. I’ll go and tell Cadrach I’m in.

4 Hammer

Today we sailed for Scardale Town, the ship is a schooner called the Blue Dolphin. Cadrach managed to find two more people to accompany us on the journey. One is an Elf wizard from Silverymoon called Celedor Ganascient. I asked him about this year being the Year of Wild Magic and his thoughts on the matter. He said: 'I know something of wild magic, but my interests are purely of a scientific nature. I travel the world to learn about the manifestations of magic and am interested in studying them all. At the University we emphasised control over our powers, and to this I subscribe.' I didn't quite know what to make of that so I left it there. The other adventure is a dwarf who introduced himself as Forgelord Borric Warhammer. He tells me he is the last of the clan Warhammer, although I can’t say I’ve ever come across that name before.

Anrod has set up three guard shifts in a rotating schedule. Cadrach, Calim, Varsk, Celedor, Borric and I got the first watch. This guard duty only means we should be on deck, there are no further rules. I took the opportunity to get to know the rest of the guards and crew. There are twenty guards, besides us six, there is one elf and one halfling, the rest are humans. Only three of the guards have bows, I would think having missile weapons on a ship is mandatory for most everyone. Under the other guards there is one priest of Tyr, the others are warriors, mostly from The Vast and the Dalelands. Three of the guards, one woman and two men are Rashemi. The woman is in charge of their little group and she is called Shevarra, I wonder if the name has the same meaning as that of the elven god Shevarash. I asked her if she and her two companions were perhaps on a dejemma but they aren’t. I spent the rest of the day sitting on the deck talking to some of the guards and crew. Most of my companions got a short bout of seasickness, which passed quickly fortunately.

5 Hammer

Today two ships were spotted on the horizon. Immediately captain Anrod had ballistae placed and the ship made ready for combat, before the two ships could even be identified. The man is taking no chances what so ever. The ships turned out to be Sembian wargalleys. One came along side and requested to search the ship for weapons once they found out we were headed for Scardale Town. Anrod acceded and a small contingent of Sembians disappeared below deck. The Sembians are of course one of the parties presently holding Scardale Town (along with the Zhents and others) and they wouldn’t want them to be equipped with arms. This is at least what I was told by various people. It seems a bit strange to me, I don’t think you can stop this anyway. What would they do if a Cormyrian ship tried to sail into the harbour, attack it? I don’t think Sembia wants a war with Cormyr, even if Cormyr has enough troubles as it is at the moment. As for the Zhents, if I was them, I would ship the weapons to Harrowdale and bring them to Scardale Town via the Reach Road. In any event, the Sembians didn’t find any weapons on our ship; we are carrying grain and boxes with other trade goods. The Sembian search party disembarked and the two ships sailed south.

6 Hammer

We arrived at Scardale Town today. Unloading started almost immediately, there were more than enough people who wanted a job unloading grain. We will keep the watch schedule going while we are in the harbour. That’s a smart idea, because the town looks like a god picked it up and smashed it down again. There is a lot of hunger, poverty and crime here. Anrod got us lodgings in a dilapidated inn called The Warrior’s Rest. When we are not on guard duty we can eat and sleep in the inn, but the amenities are hardly better than the ship. Oh, Varsk and I both lost a gold piece in a game of cards to Bren, another guard. Tymora certainly was with him this night.

7 Hammer

When we were relieved from guard duty today, we noticed that four of the replacements looked quite the worse for wear. They said it was because of the fact that they have to sleep during the daytime, but I’m not convinced. What if the Shaking Plague has reared its ugly head again? Some of my companions think something else entirely is the reason. I’ve volunteered, together with Calim, to observe the four and see if we can find out what’s wrong with them. The guards were relieved by the third guard shift at midnight, nothing happened. But, among the new guards there are another four who look like they’ve been in the Nine Hells for a night. There was nothing more we could do, so I went back to the inn. I locked my door and I’m going to sleep.

8 Hammer

According to Borric, one of the guards, a half-elf girl named Iase has been walking around the docks last night. There also was a scuffle with some ruffians before sunrise, it sounds as if they were trying to rob the ship. When they found out the ship was guarded they left. It’s good to know we aren’t standing guard for nothing. Anrod has told us he can’t find any good merchandise for the return trip here in Scardale Town. He wants to take a barge up the River Ashaba to Feather Falls to see if he can find any merchandise there. How he is going to get that merchandise back to Scardale Town I do not know. We, the first guard shift, are going with him.

In the afternoon Cadrach and I decide to see if would could learn anything about Iase’s little nocturnal journey. He has a spell to read her mind or something, so I asked her some questions to make her think of last night. It didn’t really work; the only thing Cadrach found out was that she is a smart girl. This night we had more luck. Calim managed to follow a group of four, consisting of the halfling Kunle, Iase, Tima and the Rashemi woman Shevarra, to the ruins of a building. According to him they climbed on the roof and proceeded to observe the Thayan compound to the north. This is bad news; a fight with the Red Wizards is not something I want.

9 Hammer

We told Anrod about last night’s observations. He went to talk to Shevarra, and he says he has talked things over and the problem has been solved. I can only hope he is right. We left early in the morning on our trip to Feather Falls. We hired a barge and we travelled at amazing speed up the river. At night we moored the barge and made camp.

10 Hammer

This morning we continued our journey. Somewhere after highsun, we suddenly heard a snap and a tree right in front of us fell over the river. At the same time a number of halflings appeared on the north bank and they started to shoot at us! Arrows and javelins were flying all over the place, one javelin landed right at my feet! Two crossbow bolts with ropes attached were shot into the side of the barge, and we were being reeled in. Cadrach reacted quickly and he conjured up a fog that reduced vision to about five feet. I dived for cover and found out that the boat was making water. I communicated the fact and Calim severed one of the ropes attached to the barge.

We quickly moved the boat to the south bank and got off. Being outside the fog cloud we see a number of halflings move along the tree to the south bank. Calim grabbed his bow and promptly shot two of them. While I am very impressed with his marksmanship, I cannot understand how he could just shoot them in cold blood. I too had my weapons drawn, but I was going to try and see if we could not come to some kind of understanding. Celedor used a spell to knock out another few halflings and after that the will for battle had left our opponents. At that moment I had a lot of second thoughts about this whole business. I hadn’t counted on getting into a real fight and I don’t like the experience one bit. I certainly hope there won’t be any more fights; this can’t be good for the heart.

From the other bank came the request for negotiations, which we accepted. Another halfling started to climb over the tree to our bank. When he arrived he told us his story. This halfling, Murr, and his associates, had been working for a Sembian merchant named Darvak, gathering herbs. When the Sembian came to collect the herbs, he took the wagon containing the herbs, without paying the halflings. When this happened Murr declared war on all humans and decided to go into banditry. We were the first ones he was going to rob. Seeing that none of us got hurt and feeling sorry for the halflings we killed, I suggested that they might find employ with us. He asked what they had to do and he almost at once mentioned smuggling. That was not quite what I had in mind. Together with Cadrach and Calim, we appraised the value of the stolen herbs at around a thousand gold pieces. And the Sembian had agreed to pay twenty five gold pieces! I can’t begin to imagine why he would even begrudge the halflings this paltry sum, seeing what kind of profit he was going to make! We learned from Murr that the halflings might be able to harvest another wagonload of herbs from the forest. We agreed that we would meet again in Scardale Town once we got back.

Murr had one other disturbing thing to tell. He said that they had seen drow, four day marches to the North West! According to him they were on the surface, under the heavy foliage of Cormanthor. I can hardly believe it, drow, so close by, and even on the surface. I do not know what it means but it can’t be good. I’ll inform the authorities in Feather Falls, Chandler’s Cross and Scardale Town as soon as I can.

Corran

Explorer
Session 2 – Wednesday, October 10, 2001.

We repaired the barge and an hour before midnight we arrived in Feather Falls. To my great surprise there was an inn in this thorp. We took three rooms in the White Salmon Inn and went straight to bed. Cadrach was unpleasantly surprised to learn that there was only a single one-person room, which Anrod, as our employer, was of course entitled to. I’d say that part of the charm of travelling the realms is roughing it, and three-person rooms are still quite luxurious compared to some of the cheaper inns in most cities.

11 Hammer

At breakfast Calim pointed out three men in black leathers sitting a few tables away. Calim thinks they are quite suspicious, I don’t really see why this should be so. Granted, they are the only ones, apart from us, who are well armed and armoured. One of them has decidedly orcish looks and when I mentioned this Borric immediately turned to scrutinise this fellow. It’s a good thing the three were involved in their own conversation or we would have gotten some strange looks.

Anrod decided that he would look around town for some merchandise and he sent Cadrach, Calim and me to the local farms to procure any possible produce. Celedor, Varsk and Borric accompanied Anrod, Borric only after we managed to pry him away from the table where he still sat observing the half-orc. At two of the four farms we visited we found some reasonably priced foodstuffs, Anrod had less success in the village I gathered.

During dinner the three in black were back. Calim started speculating what or who they were and what they were doing. After dinner he even followed them outside. What he found out is hardly shocking; they went to a carpenter and a leatherworker. That they stayed over half an hour at both establishments is somewhat intriguing. Borric overheard them when they came back talking about ‘going to the stonemason and another blacksmith.’ I still don’t see what all the fuss is about. So when Calim asked me if I wanted to check out what they had been up to, I told him I could find no good reason to go and ask prying questions at two local craftsmen.

12 Hammer

Some of us were woken before night’s end by a scream. When I finally was woken I learned that some small humanoids had stolen Anrod’s money chest! I rushed down the stairs and out of the door. At the same moment, Anrod and Calim were shooting from the windows. When I arrived outside something came crashing down not to far from me. I later learned this was Borric who had done something quite stupendous. He had taken the feather mattress from a Anrod’s bed and had tried to jump out of the window with it. He nearly succeeded but then got stuck, gravity helped and in the end he and the ground renewed their acquaintance.

On the grounds in front of the inn I found a sparsely dressed Varsk guarding two peacefully snoring goblins. Celedor had done it again; his spell had taken out half of the burglars. When everybody had arrived, and Varsk was given some items of clothing, we spread out and started looking for either the thieves or the chest. We found some tracks of the chest being dragged along, but these disappeared quickly. I took the time to ask Anrod what exactly was inside the chest, and he told me it was five hundred gold pieces worth of trade bars.

I later learned that during our search Borric and Varsk had taken the two sleeping goblins to the stable. Borric then apparently beat one of them merciless to get information about the stolen gold. I certainly don’t agree with his course of action and I have told him so in no uncertain terms. He just mumbled something in his beard about ‘it being a goblin’ and walked away. I don’t see how he can defend what he did, torturing the poor creature just to find back some money, it’s horrible.
Fortunately, the constable found Borric and the others before long and he stopped Borric from further hurting the creature. He then took them to his office where he talked to goblin, who promptly spilled the beans. According to Varsk he then took both goblins outside and executed them. That seems to be a harsh penalty, but in rural regions theft can be as bad as murder, particularly in winter when food is scarce. I can understand the town folks point of view, but I keep wondering what they would have done if the thieves had been humans.

Calim uncovered a tunnel and he came back to report on the fact. When we all got back together the constable told us he knew of the goblins as they live in a warren near the city, but that they usually stick to stealing some food or grain from the outlying farms. He has tried to flush them from their warren but he lost two of the local militia in the process. He warned us that the goblins have some kind of ‘pet’ that has attacked his forces. Anrod wanted his money back of course so he ordered us to go into the tunnels and get it back. The constable and his militia did not want to go in with us, but we did get them to guard all the know entrances to the warren. The constable was only aware of two entrances, one in an old warehouse and one in the town’s garbage pit. He did not know of the tunnel Calim discovered. We have decided that the six of us will go into the new tunnel and try to follow any tracks that might be there.

I am really not happy about the proposed plan, I do not particularly like dark tunnels and these are very small, two, three feet wide and high at most. Unfortunately I also can’t see how I can avoid entering the tunnels. I could of course quit the guard job, here and now, but I don’t like doing that. I also think that I owe the guys; we have already been in a fight together. It’s with a heavy mind that I enter the tunnels, I just hope I won’t get spooked by some noise and flee straight for the exit. Cadrach has cast some kind of spell on his mace so that it lights up, we will have something to see by. I just hope the spell won’t fail; my hands are sweating just thinking about being in those dark tunnels. I will give this journal to Anrod and ask him to try and get it back to family should I not return. I will enter the tunnels on my own volition, there is no one to blame for anything that might happen but me.

We made it! What we have been through is incredible, but we all survived and that’s what’s important. My hands are still shaking, just thinking about everything that has happened; I hope these lines will stay legible. I’m not quite sure how much I’ll correctly remember, but I’ll start at the beginning. A lot of the following is also from what the others remembered, I couldn’t see much of what happened, especially in the beginning of our foray.

We enter the tunnel just as dawn approaches. The tunnel is exceedingly small but it grows somewhat bigger after the first forty feet, even so we still have to hunch over to be able to walk. We come to an intersection but we continue onwards. Then Borric, who is walking in front, halts and he whispers that he can hear goblins talking. Thinking they might be able to use a spell, Borric and Celedor sneak forward. However, the goblins detect them and attack. Two goblins thrust their spears at Borric but both fail to hit the stocky dwarf. A third goblin runs away and Borric swings at one of the goblins. He hits them several times and in the end the goblins lie dead on the floor and Borric is still unscathed. We enter the tunnel the fleeing goblin went in to. Suddenly the dirt floor gives way under Borric’s feet and he falls into a more than twenty feet deep pit. [This is where Calim’s player says to Borric’s player: ‘Don’t you wish you had burrowing +5 now?’]

We use a rope to get Borric out of the pit, but the way in front of us is blocked now. Jumping the pit is impossible; the ceiling is still only about 5 feet high. Cadrach invokes the power of Waukeen to somewhat heal the dwarf’s wounds he sustained in the fall. We reverse direction and go into another tunnel. Here Varsk, who’s walking up front now, spots a very thin rope stretched across the tunnel close to the floor. There is some discussion whether we should disarm this trap or just step over it. In the end we leave it be and mark its position with a torch. The tunnel ends in the warehouse and one the militia stationed there almost skewers Varsk’s head when he comes out of the tunnel. We go back in the tunnel and we try another junction, here Varsk fails to see another rope crossing the tunnel and he trips over it. My heart misses a couple of beats when I see him fall down, but luckily the only result is that we hear some bells tolling in the distance. The ropes are a warning device, not some kind of lethal trap.

The tunnel ends in a room where Varsk spots two goblins. He charges one of the creatures, but when he enters the room he finds there are more of them and one hits him with his javelin. They can’t stop his charge and he brings one down with his handaxe. Calim then fires an arrow at a goblin and hits, another goblin goes down. Borric charges in and with a mighty swing of his warhammer he crushes the skull of a third goblin. The way in front of me is empty then and there are still two comrades behind me. I have no choice but to enter the room, I move next to Varsk who is fighting another goblin. I try to hit the creature, but at that moment I forget everything I was ever taught about swordsmanship. Fighting someone who wants to kill you is not the same as practice against a swordmaster. Fear is a powerful force, and I am fully in its power at that moment. Not surprisingly, my thrust goes wide of the goblin. A javelin then hits the wall next to me and the goblin I am trying to hit; it seems his colleague behind us is also not aiming very well. Celedor and Cadrach then enter the room. They both fail to hit a goblin, Calim and Borric are more successful and manage to kill on goblin each. There is only one goblin left then, the one Varsk and I are fighting. We both try to hit it, but once again I fail miserably, Varsk to this time. Cadrach then joins the fray and now we have the critter completely surrounded. However, Cadrach’s light emitting mace is no more successful than my rapier or Varsk’s handaxe. Then Varsk and I are roughly jostled away, as Borric pushes through our line and crushes the poor goblin’s skull.

Varsk and I start shouting at Borric; it’s very irresponsive and dangerous what he just did! He could have pushed either one of us in the path of the goblin’s thrusts thereby killing or severely wounding us. Borric does exactly what I’ve come to expect of him lately; he mumbles something about him killing goblins and he walks away into one of the tunnels. He might call himself Borric the Unstoppable, but I think Borric the Irresponsive is closer to the mark. We quickly decide that Calim and Celedor should follow Borric; and Cadrach, Varsk and I will search the dead goblins and the room. The three report back a short time later, they have heard some kind of growling in the tunnel. Suspecting this might be the ‘pet’ the constable spoke of, we decide to enter another tunnel and leave this ‘pet’ well alone.

We walk down another tunnel and all of a sudden Celedor tells us to halt. He feels along the wall and he opens a hidden door! No one had seen anything to suggest a door might be there, but Celedor found it straight away. I wonder what kind of spell he used, not one I have ever heard of. We go through the door and up the corridor behind it. Borric triggers another rope trap and again we hear a bell ringing in the distance. Even though it is the second time for this to happen, my heart misses another couple of beats. We then get to a curtain hanging in the corridor. Celedor then cast’s a Mage Hand spell and pushes the curtains aside from a safe distance. There is nothing dangerous behind the curtains as far as we can tell so we move on. Before we move I tell Borric to pay attention to the floor just behind the curtain. The obstinate dwarf does not heed my advice, and what I feared happens.

Another tripwire is sprung and almost at once, three crossbow bolts come flying out of the darkness. Two harmlessly strike the wall, but one lodges itself in Borric’s shoulder with an audible ‘thump.’ [Cadrach’s player then says to Borric’s player: ‘Let me help you, does it hurt when I do this?’ And he mimics wrenching the bolt around.] Calim goes to front and leads us towards where the bolts came from. We then hear excited talking in Goblin. Varsk charges at the source of the sounds and in the dark he gets hit by a goblin spear. Another nearby goblin also attacks but misses. Walking closer to Varsk, I see the two goblins he’s fighting. I snap my left hand wrist and the dagger I was holding squarely hits one of the goblins in the chest! It’s an amazing throw, made purely by luck and not by skill, I am afraid to say. The others move closer but they have no chance to hit any of the goblins. Celedor then casts some Dancing Lights into the corridor so we can finally see what’s happening. There is one goblin standing close by, the one I hit with my dagger. I move up to him and this time calm comes over me. I drive my rapier through the goblin’s throat and I stand there watching the life drain from his beady little eyes.

At that moment I had no time to think about it, but now that I’m writing it down, it comes back with such clarity. That haunting look of, what? Regret, sorrow, a final peace perhaps? I can’t say, but I know I killed an intelligent creature today and I feel terrible about it. I know that it was kill or be killed, but taking a life is not something done lightly. I know that when I’m the same position I will do it again, but I won’t like it any better. I think it might not be such a bad idea to go back to Waterdeep and go and work for my uncle. I will think (and dream I’m sure) more about this.

Returning to the story. We move closer and we see a wooden construction holding what appear to be heavy crossbows. One goblin jumps of the construction and Varsk charges him. He just manages to reach the goblin, his swing is on target and he opens up the goblin from crown to crotch. It’s another image I’m afraid will haunt my dreams for some time to come. We then hear one of the goblins say something and Varsk shouts: ‘Down!’ Varsk drops to the floor, but before I have a chance to react crossbow bolts are whizzing past me. Tymora must have been with me, none of the bolts strike home. Celedor moves closer and he casts another of his now famous Sleep spells. Three of the four remaining goblins fall in a deep stupor and the fourth runs away. Varsk runs after him, but in the dark the goblin is a lot faster then the brave barbarian.

I start to inspect the wooden construction and when I turn around I see that Calim has killed the three sleeping goblins. I start to speak but he gives me a look that makes me swallow my words. I guess this is a goblin’s faith. Calim later told me I might not quite appreciate the damage these creatures do to villages all over Faerûn. Having lived in Waterdeep all my live gives me quite another look on life than the Dale folk might have, I think. It’s too bad I have never learnt much about goblins, orcs I know quite a bit about, but goblins were just never mentioned for some reason.

Back at the intersection Calim mentions that four of the heavy crossbows in the wooden frame look quite new and that they might be worth a tidy sum of money. Most of those present are interested in earning some extra money, so we decide that Borric and Celedor will take the crossbows from the frame and bring them back to the surface. The rest of us are going to explore some more of the tunnel system. I nearly volunteer to help the elf and the dwarf, just to get out of the caves. But I can’t leave the others behind to face possible danger. I won’t leave them like I once left another group.

We find another exit and then we enter a tunnel that slopes down into a cave containing a shallow pool. On the other end of the cave is another tunnel, sloping up again. The tunnel quickly opens up to a big cave and we can hear goblins talking. Inside, about a dozen goblins, mostly women and children are crawling through a partly collapsed tunnel, they can just about squeeze through the rocks blocking the tunnel. Two goblins with shortbows are standing behind towershields and they try to protect the retreat of the others. There are some pillars in the room and using them as cover we run closer. Calim shoots two arrows at the fleeing goblins and hits both, killing them instantly. Cadrach, Varsk and I rush towards the two goblin guards and close in melee. The battle is swift and furious, in the end the goblins are dead and we are not. I killed one of the two goblin guards, and it frightens me to say this, but the second time is easier than the first. I had hoped this would not be the case, but unfortunately it is. How could one get used to something as terrible as killing, I wish I knew.

With the goblins dead we have time to look around the room and it’s quite different from what we have seen so far. This cave is much older and it’s certainly not made by goblins. There are two statues along the wall. After studying them closely I think I can positively identify them as depictions of Chauntea and Uthgar! I’m gob smacked, what is a statue of Uthgar doing over a thousand miles from The North? The writing on the pillars is in a Thorass script, most likely some old form of Illuskan or something related to it. The statue must be very old, because as far as I know the Utgardt worship the animal totem aspects of Uthgar since Oghma knows when. Varsk confirms my theories so far, but the only way I can imagine a (part of a) tribe, coming to the dales in centuries past, is by magic. I know that the Uthgar despise magic making it very unlikely, Varsk dismisses my theory out of hand when I tell him about it.

We decide to leave the theorising for later and move on, there are two very big stone doors at one end of the cave. The doors are barred but the four of us manage to break open the doors after a couple of minutes. Sadly, the room behind the doors is not empty, five goblins, four of them wearing armour are waiting for us. Battle commences and everything seems to move much slower, the battle was very short but it seemed to last an eternity. I can see in my mind’s eye everything so clearly as if it were happening again.

Two of the goblins fire their bows but both miss their targets. One of the goblins is wielding a stone warhammer that is much too big for him, he charges Varsk none the less, but his swing misses accuracy. The one goblin not wearing armour is standing at the back, I throw a dagger at him and at the same time he starts casting a spell. My dagger comes nowhere close to hitting him, his Magic Missile spell however, strikes me squarely in the chest. Ever so slowly the blue dart comes at me and when it strikes pain burns through my body and I nearly lose my balance. Cadrach swings his mace at the hammer wielding goblin but his strike goes just wide. Varsk charges one of the goblin archers and he too fails to hit, the confidence that I had is now quickly leaving my body. Calim has a clear shot and he fires at the wizard; an arrow slams into the goblin, but the wizard does not go down. One of the goblin archers then hits Calim. I hit ‘Warhammer’ in his side with my rapier, but he doesn’t even seem to notice. He swings the warhammer at Calim but once again he can not connect. Cadrach tries to hit ‘Warhammer’ again, and again his mace bounces harmlessly of the goblin’s armour. Varsk now charges the goblin spellcaster, but at the same time the wizard casts another Magic Missile, this one at Varsk! The barbarian chops the mage down, but the Magic Missile is already in the air and it strikes home! The unthinkable happens, Varsk slumps to the floor! But the battle rages on, there is no time to rescue him. One goblin panics and runs away through the doors we came in through. Calim shoots another two arrows at ‘Warhammer,’ one arrow hits the feisty goblin in the chest and he is now severely wounded. My training is coming back to me and I see an opening in the goblin’s defence; I pierce him straight through the eye, ‘Warhammer’ falls. What I didn’t see was that the two remaining archers had been covering their leader, the moment I killed him they both snarled with rage and fired at me. One arrow lodges itself in my side, and I am pushed backwards by the force. I am now severely wounded; I am what one would call at death’s door. Cadrach now charges one of the archers but Besheba must have put a curse on him, he misses again. Calim no fires two arrows, one at each goblin and both arrows fly wide. Things are looking grim. Its decision time and I have two choices. I can charge the archers and hope I take one down, one more enemy arrow and I myself am dead. Or, I can go to Varsk’s body and see if he’s still alive and try to rescue him, although I have no healing skills whatsoever. I don’t know why I do what I do, but I run towards Varsk and somehow I stabilise his condition! Tymora be favoured, I owe the Lady Luck more than a debt of gratitude today. Our Smiling Lady is now firmly on our side; Cadrach hits one of the goblins and an arrow from Calim finishes him off.

The last goblin does the smart thing and he surrenders. In broken common he talks to Cadrach: ‘I live?’ ‘You no breed?’ asks Cadrach and the goblin looks unhappily at him. After he tells where the stolen money is, Cadrach releases him. The goblin kisses Cadrach’s hands profusely, much to the dismay of the Sembian cleric, before running off. I ask Cadrach to take a look at our felled barbarian and he tells me he has no healing spells left!

The treasure should be under the chief’s bed according to the just released goblin. The bed however is an old sarcophagus with a straw mattress on top. We manage to move the lid and inside lie two ancient skeletons. Next to them is the money chest we came all this way for. Also in the sarcophagus are some crude silver jewellery, a pouch containing about 30 gold pieces worth of money and an ancient necklace. Calim puts forward the theory that the chest we found might not be THE chest, and since we are allowed to keep spoils of war… The others quickly assure him that, no, in fact this is the correct chest. Calim is somewhat disappointed and he asks Cadrach for an appraisal of the jewellery and the necklace. The cleric merchant thinks the jewellery might be sold for around eighty gold pieces. The necklace might be worth about seven hundred and fifty gold pieces if correctly treated! However, I point out, to a collector it might be worth a lot more, Cadrach agrees. We move everything, including one unconscious barbarian, back to the surface and I kiss the ground, happy to be back outside. Tomorrow we might go back inside to explore the tunnels we haven’t been in yet. Most of us need to get healed first and I’m not jumping to go back in to the darkness, but we’ll see, I am curious about that ‘pet.’

Corran

Explorer
Sundry questions asked by Broccli_Head and cezmail and answered by your faithful scribe.

How did Varsk get to Tantras?

The player gave me some basic info and asked me to invent the rest, so here goes:

Varsk had a dream about himself fighting in surroundings quite unlike The North. The next day he left his tribe and walked to Silverymoon. Here he met a glib little man named Vil Damath. Vil bought Varsk a lot of beers and they got very merry. When Vil subsequently asked if Varsk wouldn't help him with some problems with his wagon, the inebriated barbarian agreed.

He woke up half a day later on board of a wagon in a Merchant's League caravan. His money was gone of course, but Varsk just shrugged and got himself a job as a caravan guard.

Varsk managed to get guard jobs at some of the best trading costers in Faerûn and he slowly made his way east. The caravans he travelled with didn't get attacked much, but Varsk didn't care one way or the other. He'd spend all his money in the next tavern whatever happened.

Finally Varsk arrived in Harrowdale, here he took a ship to Tantras and there he met Cadrach Ivar Tallendar, and the rest is history...

Isn't ship travel on the Sea of Fallen Stars dangerous during the winter? You know, storms and all that....

I've looked it up, the only thing I can find is something about spring storms in the eastern part of the Sea of Fallen Stars. And hugging the coast is usually quite save.

Does Finn know the answer to his own question, Although you never know what Augathra meant anyway, last year I suspected something to happen to the bards, nothing happened.? Maybe he'll find out!

Finn doesn't know the answer. I'm guessing the Realms designers used Year of the Unstrung Harp to signify the trouble in the Harper organisation. However, I would say that few people in the realms know of the problems the Harpers have been having lately.

Whose Finn's Karmic Twin?

His sister Tannyth.

The Education feat fits. Glad that you have taken it instead of a feat that will help you in battle, like most heroes!

That feat is a freebie. ;-) In my campaign all players get the Cosmopolitan feat for free. The DM in this campaign has also adopted this approach. I asked him if I could take educated instead of Cosmopolitan, he said yes.

It's evident from the skill selection Finn is no combat hero. However after the 2nd session he has learned that fighting is sometimes unavoidable and he has asked Calim to give him some pointers.

I took a level of Ranger. ;-)
A cop out, I know. I'll go back to the rogue with people skills after this one level ranger.
But I need some fighting power, just for this character to survive.

Corran, Really enjoying Finn's journal.
Borric the Irresponsive ... LOL!

If you are using the Monte Cook ranger var. how are you getting ambidex and 2-wpn for free? I thought that they only get tracking. IIRC you can choose those feats with your bonus feats that you get, but they are not free.

I knew people were going to ask that. ;-) The DM allowed this when the Ranger player asked for it. The DM doesn't find it unbalancing.

Now that Finn has been in combat, will he allow himself to wear some armor, even just leather? Will he continue to just fight with rapier and dagger or will he allow himself to geta bow of some kind? why dagger finesse and not rapier? I know , I am a bit of a metagamer. ;-)

Armour would be smart, it won't really interfere with his skills. However, roleplaying wise he might not be convinced yet. After the next combat he might well be. There's also not much to be gotten in Feather Falls I would guess (the DM's Feather Falls at least).

Same goes for a bow, he's going to ask Calim to train him, this is not yet in the journal because it is yet to happen, I did already tell Calim's player. One problem; Calim has a Mighty Bow +2, so I can't practice with it.
*Update:* I just read this in another thread: Note that due to a recent sage advice ruling, you can use a mighty bow even if your strength doesn't currently match the mighty bonus on the bow.

Why Weapon Finesse: dagger? Because he is going to fight with two daggers in the future. This is the only concession I will make towards making him better for combat. After this level I'm going back to rogue and put everything in Bluff, Diplomacy, etc.

Metagame: fighting with two daggers and getting sneak attacks makes him the most effective. If I can stay out melee and use a bow I will certainly do that.

Corran

Explorer
Calim's Journal.

The player sent me the journal he made and it's post it verbatim below.

Journal of Calim Russale of Shadowdale, warrior, episode 1

In the last days of 1371 we found ourselves in Tantras, where we stayed with Tallindar’s relatives. That is to say, Tallindar stayed with the family upstairs, and I stayed with the servants, downstairs. I believe I had the better deal though, because everything that went upstairs was first “sampled” by the “downtrodden”. Our opinionated friend Varsk chose to stay in an inn I believe, for I did not see him throughout the new year-celebrations.

Our party, through Tallindar, was offered positions as guards in a mercantile expedition to Scardale Town. We recruited up our numbers, to a full half dozen souls. We recruited a dwarf, a bit of a loudmouth but he looks the part of a capable mercenary, an elven (sunelven, can you believe it) wizard, who did not say or do much of anything, so he is a bit of a enigma to me, and a very “talky” gambler from Waterdeep. Beggars can’t be choosers, I guess, but I’ll watch the last two carefully: their usefulness is not too clear to me yet. But Tallindar selected them, so maybe he has a plan of sorts.

A full twenty guards were on the ship, a large sailing vessel called the Blue Dolphin. We stood guard for all hours, in three shifts. The journey was uneventful, except for a brief inspection by a pair of Sembian war-galleys. We arrived in Scardale Town after a journey of two days I believe, on the sixth day of the New Year.

Scardale Town has been through a lot, and it shows. Hardly any building is without damage, and our load of grain was easily sold. It was not so easy to pick up a new cargo though, and we were forced to wait in the city for several days. We stood watch on the ships, and while doing so some of our number seemed to sleeping less than they should. They didn’t make much of it when asked, but it was clear that something was going on.

Boric, our dwarven companion, noticed some sneaking about late at night, and so it was decided that the next night I would try to follow the sneaky, to see what they were up to, for we could not allow the mission to be jeopardized by any stupid or unauthorized actions.

I waited outside the inn we were all staying in, and sure enough I noticed two people leave the inn through a window. I followed them through the deserted streets, and Tallindar followed the follower. It soon became apparent that not two but four people had left the inn, and they moved to a lookout position near the Thayan compound, were they took notes.

We informed our captain of this the next day, as Tallindar thought we had to. I wasn’t so sure, but he insisted. Our captain spoke with the curious, and informed us that all was well. He furthermore told us he could not get suitable cargo in Scardale Town, and that he was taking a small boat upriver, with our party as guards. We left that morning, with two local boatmen.

During the afternoon we were ambushed. A large tree was dropped across the river, blocking our progress upstream, two bolt with ropes attached were shot into the gunwale of our boat, and we were pulled towards the riverbank the tree was dropped from. Tallindar conjured up a dense fog, and under cover of the fog Varsk (I think) and I cut the ropes, and Boric and Tallindar pushed us towards the other bank, where we ran aground.

The ambushers, a group of halflings as it turned out, started to cross the river towards our ship using the tree as a bridge. Varsk and Boric blocked their access to the bank while we subjected our foes to a barrage of spells and projectiles. We killed one, severely injured a second, and incapacitated two more (the wizard was useful) in a few seconds, prompting the rest to retreat. They requested a parlay, and during that parlay they explained a sembian merchant robbed them, and that they had decided to rob the first sembian merchant they saw to get even. Tallindar gave them the 25 goldpieces they were robbed of, and he and Finn (the gambler) entered in negotiations to employ them. Nothing much came of it I think.

So there you have it, the start of the first journey of 1372. So far it hasn’t been too bad or dangerous, and the money is good.

Journal of Calim Russale of Shadowdale, warrior, episode 2

We found ourselves in Featherfalls that evening, and we took rooms in an inn. Tallendar still tries to live like a grand lord, and so he was very dismayed when he found out he had to share a room with his fellow adventurers. For a priest he is not so wise I think, he would be better of lowering his expectations, so they might be met more often.

Our captain took the one single room, and we took two other rooms, so we were three to a room. There were about twenty travellers in the inn, three of whom were heavily armed and armoured. They kept to themselves, and especially the half-orc in their midst attracted the attention from Borric. Borric, I guess, hates orcs and their ilk. It may be wise to keep that in mind for the future, it may be dangerous or useful.

The three armed travellers visited a carpenter and a leatherworker the evening of the next day, and stayed quite a while in their respective shops, I learned from following them. When I paid particular attention to their conversation in the inn following their outing I learned they planned to visit “another” blacksmith and a stonemason the next day. They are up to something big, that much is obvious. I mentioned them and their plans to my fellow adventurers, but they weren’t too interested. Fine by me, I’ll check them out myself.

Later that night, long after we all had gone to sleep (no guards were posted, a mistake as it turned out) a group of goblins stole the money-chest from our employer. We were awakened by his shouts, and arrived just in time in his quarters to see the last of the goblins running away into the night. Celedor the wizard took two of them out with a well-placed sleep-spell, but two more escaped. I followed their tracks (thank Mielikki for snow) to a hole underneath some bushes, while our intrepid friend Forge Lord Borric the Unstoppable tried to cushion his fall (he might call it a jump) from a first-floor window with a matrass, but succeeded mostly in making it really difficult to fall out in the first place, because the matrass was rather large. It becomes more and more obvious there is indeed room for personal growth in Borric.

Early in the morning we entered the goblin warren that was located near the town. The locals guarded known exits, while we went in to retrieve the money-chest that was stolen. Borric took the lead at first. A few goblins tried to ambush us, but they were dealt with soon enough. Borric fell into a trap, a deep pit, and after we hauled him out he refused to walk I front anymore. He lent his shield to Varsk, and Varsk took the lead instead. I found out I hate tunnels, it’s almost impossible to use my bow and it’s almost impossible to see more than a few feet ahead. I let the difficult environment get to me: I got frustrated and angry. That is not good. I must work on that, if I do not, it will get me killed.

After Celedor knocked out a few goblins with another sleep-spell I quickly killed them. Finn looked like he wanted to say something, probably about it being unsporting to kill a sleeping enemy. He kept quiet though. He is smart enough, that much is obvious. I hope he learns soon that the most important part of “sleeping enemy” is enemy, and sleeping is just a bonus. Life is not at all fair and especially a gambler should understand that.

When we found the lair of the goblin-chief, after we attacked their main living-quarters, it turned out to be in an old burial chamber. We broke the stone doors and engaged the last few goblins that offered active resistance. One of them was a sorcerer or a wizard, and even after I firmly put an arrow in him he did not drop. So Varsk took him down, but in doing so our barbarian friend, who had impressed me during our underground journey with his daring and fearlessness, got taken down in turn. Luckily Finn managed to stop his bleeding, and after the fight he was carried to the surface. His prospects for survival are excellent.

In the end, I was pleased with all members of our party. None showed too much fear, and all were quite effective. Celedor, in quickly disabling multiple foes, was invaluable, and Borric wreaked havoc amongst all who dared engage him in close combat. Varsk more than held his own intrepid self, and Tallendar and Finn closed with the enemy, even though that is something they should avoid if at all possible. I think I made a good choice joining up with Tallendar’s party.

Corran

Explorer
Session 3 – Thursday, November 8, 2001.

When we get out of the tunnels and tell the people what has happened, the villagers are very pleased with our results. They set out to collapse all the tunnel entrances. Calim and Varsk want to go back into the tunnels tomorrow, so we block one entrance in such a way that we can get back in again. We give Anrod his money chest and he confirms that everything is still in there. I ask Calim if he can help me with my archery skills. He can and he will, we go to the store to buy some arrows. It got dark soon after but we managed to shoot some arrows, I did better than I expected. Tonight we are not taking any chances, one of us will be on guard in our employer’s room at all times.

13 Hammer

We went back into the tunnel system again. This time I was still hesitant to go back in. I knew they didn’t really need me, but it didn’t feel right, just abandoning them. Then Anrod told us he needed at least one of us to finish up his business around town. I nearly volunteered but in the end we drew straws and Borric got the shortest. Eventually five of us went back in, here’s what happened.

We first went back to the corridor where we heard the growling coming from. Quietly we approached the tunnel. Because of his superior sight in the dark, Celedor peaks around the corner. He sees two cages both containing enormous weasels, more importantly, there is also a goblin feeding the beasts. Celedor tries another of his now famous sleep spells but only one weasel succumbs to the arcane incantation. Our wizard is then seen by the goblin and without a second thought Celedor rushes the dreadfully surprised goblin. He slams the goblin into the cage with the, now very agitated, weasel. The weasel manages to get his snout through the bars and he bites the poor goblin! The goblin cries out in pain and losses the will to fight; he surrenders. The two dire weasels are then quickly killed and then I step into the cave. I felt no need at all to busy myself with killing those terrifying weasels, they gave me the creeps.

Now we interrogate our new prisoner. Fortunately Varsk speaks the little guy’s language as the goblin’s command of Common is very limited. Apparently the goblin was the weasel’s caretaker and he had come back to feed the animals. We manage to convey that we want to scour the entire complex and that he should lead the way. There is some discussion amongst ourselves about what to do with the little runt afterwards. Calim and some of the others want to give him to the constable but that’s a death sentence and they know it. In the end the question is not resolved and we decide to continue the debate after we’ve been through the tunnels.

Calim ties a rope in noose around the poor goblin’s neck and ties his hands. Calim takes hold of the other side of the rope and in this fashion the goblin is to walk in front of us. We first check out the two tunnels we hadn’t been in yet. Then we get to hidden trapdoor in the floor of one of the tunnels. Below the trapdoor is another tunnel running in both directions as far as we can see. We go in one direction first and we come to an exit in the forest. According to Calim there are some old goblin tracks here, but nothing recent. We go back the way we came and eventually we hear the roar of water. We end up in a large cave with a quick flowing stream dividing the grotto. A rackety bridge spans the stream. The water is really wild with small white waves tumbling over each other, Calim calls it ‘white water.’ It’s clear that swimming the stream is just about impossible, only the best swimmer wouldn’t be carried away by the tow.

The bridge is a pretty ramshackle affair but according the goblin it’s the way to the ‘big chief.’ The goblin indicates that we should follow exactly in his steps, some of the boards seem to be trapped. The little guy asks Calim for some slack in the rope and he jumps over the second and third board. He moves further and after indicating that he needs some more slack he jumps again. This time he lands on a board and he crashes right through it! The little runt fooled us all and tries to make good his escape. The moment he goes through the bridge I react instinctively and I snap the dagger I had in my left hand at the rope to pin it to the bridge. I guess instinct isn’t what it’s cracked up to be. What was I thinking? The throw I tried was impossible even when thrown right handed. It’s no big surprise then that the dagger disappears into the water. Calim pulls the rope but it doesn’t move. On the second try something happens that was totally unexpected; Calim pulls one of the bridge legs out from under the bridge! The bridge sways once to the left and once to the right and then it collapses. Varsk, who was on the bridge, falls in the water, fortunately he manages to get hold of the rope and we pull him out.

We haven’t seen the goblin since, I’m not sure if he survived. He was very smart in getting the rope around the bridge leg, but he might have been caught in the subsequent collapse. I hope the little runt made it to safety, the plucky fellow deserves to live after the brave stunt he pulled. You should have seen the perplexed look on Calim’s face when he stood there with the bridge leg dangling from his rope, if Varsk hadn’t fallen into the stream I wouldn’t have been able to stop laughing. Afterwards we manage to get over the stream and we follow the tunnel to it’s end, the Uthgar temple. Having been through the entire complex we go back to village, after stopping at the weasel cages; according to Calim the pelts might be worth something. He was right, we managed to sell the two animals for thirty gold pieces.

After telling the constable that the warrens are now goblin free, we return to the inn. On the way we notice that the blacksmith that was visited by the three black clad figures a day earlier is now empty. Calim is shocked and he runs to the other businesses the three visited; the carpenter and the stoneworker are also gone. The leatherworker, Nerus, is the only one who hasn’t left. We ask him to expound on the visit of the three. He is non-committal in his answers and we leave without learning anything new.

On the way back to the inn Calim tells us that his dad was sold as a slave because of debts he could not pay. Calim expects that the same thing might be going on here to. I asked him where his family was sold to, I’m not sure if the answer was a surprise to me; Zhentil Keep. The look of Calim’s face told me that just talking about it brought up a host of painful memories so I did not inquire any further.

Back in the inn we find that the three have returned. Cadrach and Varsk go and talk to them on a request from Calim. The three have little to say except that we are to stay out of their business. Calim however, makes use of the fact that he knows the three won’t leave the table soon and he goes up to their room. He manages to get into the room and he searches it quickly. He finds nothing out of the ordinary, but then he notices that the backpacks are made by a leatherworker in Zhentil Keep. When he comes back down to the common room he walks up to my table and tells me what he’s found. I am not too happy that he has just broken into the room, but it’s too late to worry about that. I tell Calim that the fact that their backpacks are from Zhentil Keep doesn’t mean that the three are Zhents, and more importantly, it does not mean that they have done anything untoward. Calim isn’t easily swayed however and he goes of to the stables. There he finds that the saddles of the three are also made by the same leatherworker in Zhentil Keep. The conversation between Cadrach, Varsk and the three comes to an end and the six of us sit down to talk about what we have learned. Calim tells about his discoveries and Cadrach and Varsk tell that all they’ve learned is that one of the two humans is called Palmin and that the half-orc is called Reshh. Now that we suspect that they might be Zhents we decide to go back to the leatherworker and ask him some more questions.

The others ask me to do the talking with leatherworker but I can’t get him to talk either. He still is silent about the three, even after I tell him that they are most likely Zhents. The conversation breaks down after I tell him I’m going to see the constable about our discoveries. After the leatherworker closes the door on us there is some discussion and we decide to go to the constable. We wake the constable and tell him what we know. He tells us to go back to the inn, he’ll talk to Nerus. Cadrach accompanies the constable to the leatherworker and soon they are back at the inn. They tell us that the three had approached Nerus to come and work in Zhentil Keep, the leatherworker refused but he was paid some gold to keep silent when asked about this. Cadrach proved a true disciple of Waukeen as he paid Nerus some more to tell the story anyhow. With nothing more to do we go to bed after determining the watch schedule.

14 Hammer

After a breakfast at dawn we go back on our rafts and we depart for Scardale Town. The three Zenths are also going in that direction, they are on a raft about half a mile in front of us.

15 Hammer

Today is a Waukeen holy day according to Cadrach, it’s called Cold Counting Comfort. In the evening we arrive at Scardale Town. Calim at once follows the Zhents and finds out they go to the Zhent encampment in town. The harbour has some more of berths filled; a Sembian and a Westgate trading vessel have docked. Just outside the harbour two warships lie at anchor, one is from Sembia the other is a Zhent ship. Before dark Calim and I practice some more archery and then we join the others for dinner.

A few hours after midnight we are all rudely awakened by some loud explosions in the city. The red glow outside is visible even through the closed shutters. We all rush outside and find that the source of the explosions are fireballs being thrown in the vicinity of the Thayan compound. Dark figures come running out of the red glow towards us. We are very surprised to find that they are our shipboard guard colleagues being chased by Thayan soldiers. The persecuted stopped right behind us and are obviously hoping we would stop the Thayans. They are to winded to say anything at that moment. The Thayans stop not far from us and a woman, obviously the highest ranking among them, steps forward. She demands that we deliver the ‘spies’ to them. After what we had discovered a few days earlier I fear that she is using the term correctly. We are saved from making an impossible decision by the arrival of a number of Cormyrian soldiers. A Purple Dragon officer, who has evidently dealt more often with the Thayans, starts to negotiate. The result is that we learn that the Thayans have already killed one spy and captured another. The Purple Dragon won’t give our colleagues to the Thayans and in the end he even manages to have the Thayans return the body of the dead spy. The Thayans won’t agree to releasing the prisoner, the Cormyreans decide to let matters rest until the next morning.

We learn from the others that it is Iase, the half-elf girl, who was killed by the Thayans and that Kunle the halfling is the one who has been captured by them. I approached the Purple Dragon commander to get some more information on the whole affair. The commander of the Cormyreans is Resnar Whiteshield and the wizardess who is in charge of the Thayan compound is Umara Thrul. She is, according to the Purple Dragon, a niece of Aznar Thrul who is a Tharchion of Thay. We help the two Rashemi, Orlak and Shauvik, bury Iase’s body.

16 Hammer

In the morning the Cormyreans send a small detachment to the Thayan compound to negotiate about the halfling prisoner. They learn that Kunle has died, according to the Thayans he drowned in the river Ashaba during an escape attempt. Calim is outraged and he demands that a priest be brought in to determine the veracity of all parties. I try to dissuade him as I fear that Iase, Kunle and the others might very well have been doing exactly what the Thayans say they have been doing. The Thayans want no part of any investigation anyway and that’s the end of the matter. Before noon we board the Blue Dolphin and we start our journey back to Tantras.

17 Hammer

Just before dark we arrive in Tantras. Anrod invites all the guards to dinner at his mansion tonight, we accept the invitation. At the mansion we meet the rest of the Naskurl family, Anrod’s wife and his two year old twin sons, Sedras and Hedras. The dinner is perhaps a bit awkward but nice nonetheless. Around midnight Anrod asks for silence and he starts to speak about the journey. He reveals that it was he that was behind the spying missions on the Thayan compound! He says he regrets the deaths of Iase and Kunle, but according to him the Thayans are so dangerous that they need watching at all cost. When I ask him why they bear watching he says it’s because the Thayans look out for themselves first. I don’t buy that at all, that description fits just about every merchant that I know and a lot of other people as well. I didn’t ask anything else as I didn’t think the time to be appropriate, but I will talk with him about this some more. I really don’t appreciate being lied to by my employer and put in any unnecessary risk. After all this, Anrod told the six of us he’d pay us a hundred and fifty gold pieces per person for all that we had done. This did much to alleviate any grudges any of the others might have had. It seems I’m the only one who feels the matter is unresolved.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases