RPG Mood Music

praetorian

First Post
Something I have been very interested in for a long time is the kind of music that people play in the background when roleplaying, to set the mood or other reasons.

Personally, I use a lot of power/progressive metal since a lot of the albums have a fantasy theme, such as Blind Guardian's Nightfall in Middle Earth, or Rhapsody's Symhony of Enchanted Lands. The music is very varied and in my mind does a great job of capturing all the emotions that adventuring contains.

But enough about what I use, what do the rest of you like to have playing when you are RPing?

Jarval

Explorer
Well, Enya is always good in my book. Other than that, some clasical, some soundtracks, my Sci-Fi themes CD :), the odd bit of RnB/Hip Hop.

Chaldfont

First Post
Soundtracks, soundtracks, soundtracks

You can't beat soundtracks. If you have a computer, you can queue up a zillion mp3s ripped from your favorite CDs. My favorite new toy for gaming is this device from http://www.x10.com that hooks up to your soundcard and broadcasts to your stereo. There is even a remote control so you can change tracks.

Anyway here are some good ones.

Soundtracks:
Conan the Barbarian
Legend
Star Wars
Indiana Jones
Bram Stoker's Dracula
Braveheart
The Godfather
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
Farscape
Other CDs:
Carmina Burana
Yes: Topographic Oceans (the first track is this great chanting incantation)
Enya

Bass Puppet

First Post
I am recently using Lord Of The Rings soundtrack. From time to time, I will put on an Intelligent Drum and Bass Mix by one of my boys. We have tried Metal, Classical, Rap, and I feel that the players have a better reaction to soundtracks. Bram Stoker's Dracula soundtracks is AWSOME.

On another note, I produce, and have produce several LONG loops of Atmosphere ranging from Villages to Dungeons to Forests. I even put in some world Instruments (sitar, congas, etc.) and composed a couple of simple tunes to highlight the Atmosphere.

mattcolville

Adventurer
We generally have some Rush or Zepplin in the background, not to listen to as much as white noise.

I made a D&D Soundtrack at one point to see if music would make a difference. It was great mood music but the problem is, there was no time to listen to it. I describe what's going on, people want to react and reply, they don't want to listen to the music. So it went back to being white noise.

Dundragon

First Post
Monte Cook has a good list of CDs that work well for different kinds of atmospheres, I will try most of them when I get around to it. Our group uses the Braveheart and LoTR soundtracks at the moment.
http://www.montecook.com/arch_dmonly6.html
He also includes links to Amazon.com so you can listen in to the CDs, and buy them if you like them.

When we do use music, it really depends on what we're trying to do. I fully plan to make use of the LOTR soundtrack that I just got. The Realm of Shadows CDs are WONDERFUL I only have one, but I really want to get more. I've got a CD of sound effects--The Game Masters collection volume 2: monsters--and other than that, I just find stuff online and rip it onto cds as needed. So far, i haven't made any cds, but i do have quite a few mp3s of various stuff that I COULD use. From what I've heard from my brothers CDs, I could stand to pick up some Rush music for background. Lately, I've been grooving to a Helloween song, i think it's called keeper of the 7 keys--is any of their other stuff good? Nightwish--Dead Boy's poem and most of the Blind Guardian stuff that I've heard are also pretty good.

For SciFi games, i think the sountrack to the movie Pi would be great (not to mention, it's just a damn good techno cd)

I'm thinkin' that I'm all out of ideas for the moment.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases