How powerful is the geas/quest?

Bluemail

First Post
I have a player who was geased, then killed, and soon after reincarnated. Is the geas (and blimey it´s a bad one) still in effect?:confused:

Magus_Jerel

First Post
What was the wording of the origional geas?

I have seen this spell abused way too many times.

Odds are - death has removed the geas... but... you never know.

Bluemail

First Post
Well, it says: the geased creature must follow the given instructions until the geas is completed, no matter how long it takes.

Most transmutation spells end when the recipent is killed as in polymorph, on the other hand, some evocation spells: contingency spells and more do not.

Chronosome

First Post
This is actually a big point that's come up in my campaign
recently. Our interpretation is death does nothing to stop a
spell's duration, though its effect may not be doing a thing. If you
cast mage armor on a companion who dies, he's still mage armored
until the spell wears off.

If you cast charm person on someone, and they die, the charm
is still active--though corpses really don't make the best friends.

:)

Is there any official word as to whether this is true?

Henrix

Explorer
Raise Dead specifically mentions that "magical diseases and curses are not undone".

And since nothing else is mentioned in Reincarnate, Resurrection nor True Resurrection I suppose that must still be valid for all of them.

And Geas must qualify for magical curse if I ever saw one!

EOL

First Post
I'd still like to see the wording of the original geas. I too have seen abuses of this spell, and I think, like wish, the DM has to be fairly flexible in terms of how it's handled. Especially when you consider that geas doesn't even give a saving throw.

strongbow

First Post
It takes a Remove Curse spell to remove Geas, and even then from a caster 2 levels higher than the caster of the Geas. It is reasonable to interpret Geas as a magical curse, and therefore exempt from being dispelled upon death.

Looking at it this way bridges the gap: Normal spells are dispelled upon the death of the character who has the spell effect on them, except for magical curses and for spells like Contigency (Most people I have talked to allow Contigency to take upon upon death as a trigger. Ex: If I die, then cast a Raise Dead [upon my corpse])

Charm Person is not a curse in my view, and would be dispelled upon death.

I do not like Geas that much, especially since I am playing a character that has been Geased for about 5 levels!

A side issue of Geas is whether the Geas ends if the caster of the Geas dies. If it does, that sure is a good way to get rid of the Geas (he he)

If you really want to get rid of Geas, then find a Bead of Karma (+4 Caster Level) and alignment permitting, cast Death Knell on some hapless captives. The +1 caster level stacks, because it is an unnamed bonus. With enough effort and captives, a determined individual can get enough caster levels to remove almost any Geas. I haven't had the chance to do this yet myself, but it would work.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases