To Paladin players, what Feats do you select for your Paladins?

Green Knight

First Post
I'm asking because I'm creating a Paladin, but can't decide what Feats I want for the character. There're 4 groups of Feats that I really like, but there're obviously to many Feats for a Paladin to take. The Feats are:

Power Attack
-Divine Might
-Cleave
--Great Cleave

I want that so I can take out hordes of lesser foes. And the damage bonus from Divine Might is pretty sweet. Combined with the cleave feats, I could do some damage with that power.

Mounted Combat
-Ride-By Attack
--Spirited Charge

The Knight on horseback with his lance.

Improved Shield Bash
-Divine Shield
--Shield Expert

I like bull rush's, so Improved Shield Bash is pretty cool to me, as you get a Shield Bash which is also effectively a Bull Rush. With Divine Shield, you get an attack and AC bonus equal to your Charisma, and Shield Expert allows you to make a Shield Bash without losing the AC bonus.

Dodge
-Mobility
--Spring Attack

I've recently become enamored of Spring Attack, after I did a fight between D20 Conan and Drizzt and Conan kicked Drizzts' ass because of it. Al I need is a suit of Mithral Full Plate and it'd work great.

So those are my choices, and ALL of them appeal to me! But I can't take them all. Nor can I decide which Feats to give up and which to take. So what Feats do you Paladin players out there take for your Paladins'? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Weapon focus: Longsword.

Mainly so I can duel/multi-class into Mithril knight. Plus I get extra turning feat for free. I wish I had the pre-reqs for Silver Knight...but I don't have Secrets and Societies so I cannot say for sure. (Though smiting down lycanthropes AND evil outsiders DOES sound like fun! :) )

Btw, they give you some mithril to forge your sword, so maybe you could ask for Mithril Full Plate (Heck they have Golem! ;) ) Or just go questing for some Armor of Grace.

Last edited:

Leadership

Allows for a high level follower, perfectly fits with the paladin mold, and allows you to command troops in battle. This will probably be a role-playing decision though as the feats you listed are game wise more useful. The mounted combat stuff is cool, but like a Ranger's favored enemy, it will be at the whim of your DM if and how much you can use your cool feats.

Alaxk

SHARK

First Post
Greetings!

Well, Green Knight, it depends in my opinion less on the "power" of a particular feat, or feat chain, and far more on "WHO" your paladin is, as a person, and as a holy templar, annointed to go forth and crush the wicked!

For example, I always have paladins take Leadership. I can't really see a paladin not having this feat. In addition, Education is a very cool feat. It provides class-skill status to ALL KNOWLEDGE FEATS. In my campaign, that means that important, nay, even CRITICAL, ESSENTIAL SKILLS like the following are thereby gained much easier:

(1) Knowledge: War
(2) Knowledge: Nobility
(3) Knowledge: Religion
(4) Knowledge: Law
(5) Knowledge: History
(6) Knowledge: Politics

Obviously, having high ranks in each of these skills can really do so much, you know? I mean, if one is creative, and on top of things, these skills can really just make the character.

Also, other feat selections depend on your vision of the character. Is he more of a mounted warrior, or a footman? Again, though combat is important, I can't stress how many other feats often overlooked by people can be essential, like the following:

(1) Trustworthy
(2) Artist
(3) Expert Tactician
(4) Skill Focus: +3 Wilderness Lore

Wilderness Lore is useful especially if your paladin spends a good deal of time hunting with other nobles, for example. Oftentimes, the judgment of someone's character, as well as important discussions can take place while aristocratic knights go on hunts together. A paladin who can hunt and track well can gain great prestige by being successful, and even impressive in such a situation.

What do you think of these, Green Knight?:)

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK

bret

First Post
I think Blind Fight is almost required. Too many opponents that can go invisible, etheral, etc.

The usefullness of Great Cleave is really game dependent. I wouldn't take it as a Paladin, mostly because I see the paladin as more likely to have to go after big creatures rather than hordes of small ones.

Armies can handle goblins, you want a Paladin for a demon.

jollyninja

First Post
well, like all of my characters, i take ambidexterity and two weapon fighting followed by expertise, dodge, off hand parry, improved two weapon fighting, whatever i feel like after that. i love two weapon fighting, what can i say, also they seldom wear better then a chain shirt (masterwork of course) and i get boots of striding and springing whenever possible.

Green Knight

First Post
Let me take these one post at a time.

Nightfall said:
Weapon focus: Longsword.

Mainly so I can duel/multi-class into Mithril knight. Plus I get extra turning feat for free. I wish I had the pre-reqs for Silver Knight...but I don't have Secrets and Societies so I cannot say for sure. (Though smiting down lycanthropes AND evil outsiders DOES sound like fun! :) )

Btw, they give you some mithril to forge your sword, so maybe you could ask for Mithril Full Plate (Heck they have Golem! ;) ) Or just go questing for some Armor of Grace.

I have no idea what you're talking about. What's a Mithril Knight? A Silver Knight? If that's in a book, then which book is it in?

Green Knight

First Post
Alaxk Knight of Galt said:
Leadership

Allows for a high level follower, perfectly fits with the paladin mold, and allows you to command troops in battle. This will probably be a role-playing decision though as the feats you listed are game wise more useful. The mounted combat stuff is cool, but like a Ranger's favored enemy, it will be at the whim of your DM if and how much you can use your cool feats.

Alaxk

Leadership definitely appeals to me. I'm gonna be playing in Forgotten Realms, and my character will probably be from Silverymoon. So the thought of building a keep to the north of the Silver Marches to watch out for orc tribes definitely looks good in my eyes.

Got a point about the mounted feats. I dunno. I've read "Le Morte D'Arthur" to many times, I guess. But I've been obsessed with the idea of making a master jouster for a long time. A character with amazing skills with a lance.

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
Green Knight said:
I have no idea what you're talking about. What's a Mithril Knight? A Silver Knight? If that's in a book, then which book is it in?

Mithril Knight is a PrC in the S&S City Book: Mithril: City of the Golem, it's for the Scarred Lands setting. IMO it's a pretty cool PrC but IIRC a lot of people thought it was overpowered.

For my SL Paladin- Taerith Steel (Human) I chose Improved Initiative because his Dex is an 11(0) so I wanted to help out his initiative rolls; and Weapon Focus (Longsword) because I plan on taking the Mithril Knight PrC when I'm able.

Last edited:

Green Knight

First Post
SHARK said:
Greetings!

Well, Green Knight, it depends in my opinion less on the "power" of a particular feat, or feat chain, and far more on "WHO" your paladin is, as a person, and as a holy templar, annointed to go forth and crush the wicked!

Well, I'm going for a "Holy Warrior" type of character. That's why I like the Divine Feats a lot. As well as a chivalrous knight. What I'm trying to nail down here, though, is his combat style. I don't want to end up later on regretting a feat choice and not being able to change it (unless I get level drained, in which case I WILL be able to change it :p)

For example, I always have paladins take Leadership. I can't really see a paladin not having this feat. In addition, Education is a very cool feat. It provides class-skill status to ALL KNOWLEDGE FEATS. In my campaign, that means that important, nay, even CRITICAL, ESSENTIAL SKILLS like the following are thereby gained much easier:

(1) Knowledge: War
(2) Knowledge: Nobility
(3) Knowledge: Religion
(4) Knowledge: Law
(5) Knowledge: History
(6) Knowledge: Politics

Yeah, you got a good point on the Education Feat.

Obviously, having high ranks in each of these skills can really do so much, you know? I mean, if one is creative, and on top of things, these skills can really just make the character.

Also, other feat selections depend on your vision of the character. Is he more of a mounted warrior, or a footman? Again, though combat is important, I can't stress how many other feats often overlooked by people can be essential, like the following:

I prefer mounted warrior. Especially in combination with a Paladin's mount. However, my bind is that I don't want to have a character who blows without his horse. Though I'm starting to come around to the notion that maybe my Paladin DOESN'T have to be good at everything. Let the party Fighter take the cleave, great cleave, combat reflexes, etc Feats. Let him hack away at the rank and file. I, on the other hand, will challenge the powerful enemies. And a good lance hit can go a long way towards defeating such an individual. Just doesn't seem as if there're that many feats which help you out in 1-on-1 combat. You got your feats which're great against multiple opponents (cleave, great cleave, combat reflexes, whirlwind attack) but very few for 1-on-1. There's sunder, improved disarm, but they're dependant on your foe being armed.

(1) Trustworthy
(2) Artist
(3) Expert Tactician
(4) Skill Focus: +3 Wilderness Lore

With the exception of Skill Focus, I have never heard of these Feats, before. So where're they from? As for Skill Focus, I don't see a point to it. Besides, I'll be a human with an Int bonus, so I don't need the extra skill points.

Wilderness Lore is useful especially if your paladin spends a good deal of time hunting with other nobles, for example. Oftentimes, the judgment of someone's character, as well as important discussions can take place while aristocratic knights go on hunts together. A paladin who can hunt and track well can gain great prestige by being successful, and even impressive in such a situation.

Yeah, I like Wilderness Lore and frequently take it. To bad it's a cross-class skill. Seems to me it should be a class skill for a Paladin. Ah well.

What do you think of these, Green Knight?:)

Semper Fidelis,

SHARK [/B]

Great ideas all around! :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases