Thumbnail

Rating: 0
Favourites: 2

Report File

The Golden Bones of Lightwatch Tower [Levels 1-2; Old Tower]

File Information

Files   

Mirrors

The Golden Bones of Lightwatch Tower is a starting adventure plunging players into a chaotic and horrible situation which they need to navigate with care, or find themselves part of the title.
  1. seankreynolds
    Golden Bones of Lightwatch Tower

The criteria I'm looking for are:
    (A) encounters that play up various party roles (martial, skill, magic, etc.)
    (B) whether the adventure sites have a reasonable ecology (what, no bathrooms?)
    (C) the narrative flow of the overall adventure.

I know a lot about the Realms gods, and I don't think (neutral good) Lathander would give one of his paladins the choice of "use this divine power to revive your dead husband (secretly at the cost of your own life), or to kill your demon-devil baby who's already murdered a member of my religion." That's just not something a good deity would do.

Some of the introduction/overview sections drop names of people creatures who haven't been described yet (Kestrel on page 3, Yazol on page 3, Delb/Deyb on page 4), which is a little confusing.

There are some obvious typos in the document ("recons create" instead of "reconsecrate" on page 3, inconsistency in naming the innkeeper "Deyb" or "Delb," and so on, "piece of mind", "mounts" instead of "mouths" when describing the evil baby on page 12, ).

I like the concept of the giltbone skeletons.

Kudos for including a gay couple. Unkudos for having one of them killed off as part of the adventure backstory.

In the description of Area 10 there's a nonsequitur paragraph about training winged vipers; I assume that's an error because the words "snake" and "viper" don't appear anywhere else in the document.

(A) There are plenty of combat encounters for martial characters, a reasonable number of skill challenges for skill-oriented characters, and some magical stuff to do as well.

(B) As this is a mostly-sealed temple inhabited by undead and scavengers (and because the dead were recently reanimated), there's not much need of an active ecology here. The hag is a gross creature and wouldn't need a bathroom, she'd just make a mess in a room she wasn't using. The adventure makes a point of stating that the hag eats flying spider eggs, so that covers the "where does she get food from?" question.

(C) Much of the narrative flow is setting up the backstory so the GM understands the interactions of all the NPCs. Once the PCs arrive, they are free to wander about the area, and the adventure is structured with a lot of variability in terms of what they'll encounter, when, and how many. Experienced GMs may find this refreshed, newer GMs may need more structure.

Report File

Reason

Report Comment

Reason

Report Link

Reason