ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

ForgedAnvil D&D 5E Character Generator

XP Jiroa, Beleriphon, Morrus, Shadowmage, Moomintroll and 64 others gave XP for this post

1. brooksgbanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ForgedAnvil View Post
    Cool, thanks for the feedback - I'll look into for v1.60 (note the Languages stuff is fixed now)

UPDATE: These issues are now fixed in v1.60

The example character Zenith gives some examples for Minotaur and Warforged as well as an example of how to show spells gained at certain levels (Race 3) as you need a formula in this case to show spells correctly in the details (as per Dark Elf, Aasimar, Tiefling etc.)
    NP. Glad to help out. The issues are merely cosmetic, to my mind, so it's no rush. This char gen is an amazing piece of work.
  2. ForgedAnvil
    Here's a first look at the Adventurers Log - initial design concept (to be updated)

Formulas already implemented, only requires data for the first row Starting and Earned values then only Earned values are required - the tool calculates the rest

Feedback welcomed!

Attachment 70937
  3. Mergon
    Heya ForgedAnvil:

First off my usual "please, please, please come up with a way to add custom classes.

Second, is there any way to add a conditional 2nd page to Character sheet II? What I am talking about is something similar to Character sheet III where if you have too many spells for one sheet, it adds a second sheet. When playing multi class characters, one sheet fills up quickly, so it would be nice for it to continue on to a 2nd or even a 3rd sheet if necessary. By the way, I am talking about the information displayed on the right hand side of the page.
    In addition, you might consider adding two columns on the left hand side (or even just one), but each column would be a single merged cell. This would allow for the copy/pasting of text data without having to split it on a line to line basis. It would make life much easier for copy/pasting things like magic item descriptions.

Third, concerning the Character Summary page I have two requests:
    1) Concerning the spell list, would it be possible to either underline or make bold the spell names in the list. It would make finding spells in the list much easier. If you make the spell names both bold and underlined even better;
    2) Like my second request above, you conditionally expand at least a 2nd page? Multi-classing takes up a lot of space.
  4. dunstvangeet
    Looks awesome...
  5. tukuiPat
    Hello Forged, me and my friends do a lot of homebrewing and I ended up being the one that maintains our small groups sheets, your character generator has been an amazing tool and very easy to use.

So I'm not that amazing with Excel, but with the Additional Details cell, is there any way to format it so I can do a list easier.
  6. Talon378
    First, allow me to say what an amazing utility this is for the RPG community! That said, I have four suggestions for future releases that I think could make it even better:

1) While I was able to figure out how to do it manually, it would be extremely helpful for those that might not be quite as proficient in "excel-fu" to have a button that would export the sheet in .pdf for the user. Having to figure out which pages to include on the pdf options page was a little hit and miss, and if that were automated, that would be great.

2) I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE what you have done with including the wild shapes on the spellcasting page. Easily one of the best upgrades that you have done in a while. Being able to reference that sheet rather than having to do all of that work every time is extremely helpful. There is one thing that I would love to see added to this though and that is the ability to add in "plusses" for the stats of the wild shapes, specifically for AC in my situation. I am playing a Druid/Monk, and my DM has ruled that his ability to add his Wisdom carries over to my wild shape. The ability to factor that into the sheet would be helpful.

3) It would be helpful if some basic stat blocks for the wild shapes could be added to the character summary sheet. That would allow me to upload that single sheet to my tablet for use as quick reference during my games. The ideal place, just looking at that sheet, looks to be on the right under all of the race and class special abilities.

4) Lastly, the spells on the character summary sheet would be much easier to read if there were either reading lines added to them, or if some sort of space were added in there to break up what is currently a very large block of text. Even if those spaces were only between the different levels, that would break things up enough to make them more usable than they are currently.

Once again, thanks for doing the work to put this together for the community. I genuinely hope that these small opportunities for improvement will not come off as me being picky or overly critical. I use your sheet exactly the way it is every week when I game, and I am very happy to tell everyone I can about your amazing work!

Dallas
  7. ForgedAnvil
    Download here - ForgedAnvil 5E Character Generator and take a moment and rate thisif you like it, thank you!

Updates in this release:
    - Fixed issues with custom races not show languages and tools correctly in the details section of Start, CSII, Summary
    - Added Rogue Archetype > Mastermind
    - Added Cantrip > Greenflame Blade (note you will need to type this into your spell list as there is currently no classes assigned to this cantrip)
    - Added Background > Urban Bounty Hunter
    - NEW FEATURE Added the Adventurers Log sheet. Enter initial XP, Gold, Downtime, Renown, Magic Items and each game enter Earned only and the sheet does the rest!
    - Various bug fixes, spelling corrections and tool enhancements

Use the ForgedAnvil Character Transfer Tool to transfer your current Character to the new version
    For translations, the translation file has also been updated to include new text fields

Let me know if you find issues, enjoy!
  8. ForgedAnvil
    Quote Originally Posted by Talon378 View Post
    First, allow me to say what an amazing utility this is for the RPG community! That said, I have four suggestions for future releases that I think could make it even better:

1) While I was able to figure out how to do it manually, it would be extremely helpful for those that might not be quite as proficient in "excel-fu" to have a button that would export the sheet in .pdf for the user. Having to figure out which pages to include on the pdf options page was a little hit and miss, and if that were automated, that would be great.

2) I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE what you have done with including the wild shapes on the spellcasting page. Easily one of the best upgrades that you have done in a while. Being able to reference that sheet rather than having to do all of that work every time is extremely helpful. There is one thing that I would love to see added to this though and that is the ability to add in "plusses" for the stats of the wild shapes, specifically for AC in my situation. I am playing a Druid/Monk, and my DM has ruled that his ability to add his Wisdom carries over to my wild shape. The ability to factor that into the sheet would be helpful.

3) It would be helpful if some basic stat blocks for the wild shapes could be added to the character summary sheet. That would allow me to upload that single sheet to my tablet for use as quick reference during my games. The ideal place, just looking at that sheet, looks to be on the right under all of the race and class special abilities.

4) Lastly, the spells on the character summary sheet would be much easier to read if there were either reading lines added to them, or if some sort of space were added in there to break up what is currently a very large block of text. Even if those spaces were only between the different levels, that would break things up enough to make them more usable than they are currently.

Once again, thanks for doing the work to put this together for the community. I genuinely hope that these small opportunities for improvement will not come off as me being picky or overly critical. I use your sheet exactly the way it is every week when I game, and I am very happy to tell everyone I can about your amazing work!

Dallas
    Thanks for the feedback!

1. The easiest way to do this is hold down CTRL and select the sheets you want to print, then to print select your PDF printer and print.
    2. There will be overrides on the Spellcasting sheet under Wildshape for AC, HP, STR, DEX, CON SIZE values, I just haven't implemented them
    3. This is easier than it sounds, recommend to use only the WildShape sheet stats separate to the Character Summary. You could use the Additional Details section in the Start sheet to summarize the details also. You should also note that the Character Generator also works on iOS (iPhone and iPad) and Android, you only need to install the Mobile version of Excel for FREE. Works extremely well with touch
    4. I've got some ideas here but will require a bit of work to get this up and running. Maybe in the next version you'll see something
  9. ForgedAnvil
    Quote Originally Posted by tukuiPat View Post
    Hello Forged, me and my friends do a lot of homebrewing and I ended up being the one that maintains our small groups sheets, your character generator has been an amazing tool and very easy to use.

So I'm not that amazing with Excel, but with the Additional Details cell, is there any way to format it so I can do a list easier.
    At the moment I just use ALT+Enter to go to the next line when editing a cell. You can use a simple "-" to create bullet points or a fancier one if you like. I could split that section up into several cells where each cell would have a specific bullet point automatically added
  10. ForgedAnvil
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergon View Post
    Heya ForgedAnvil:

First off my usual "please, please, please come up with a way to add custom classes.

Second, is there any way to add a conditional 2nd page to Character sheet II? What I am talking about is something similar to Character sheet III where if you have too many spells for one sheet, it adds a second sheet. When playing multi class characters, one sheet fills up quickly, so it would be nice for it to continue on to a 2nd or even a 3rd sheet if necessary. By the way, I am talking about the information displayed on the right hand side of the page.
    In addition, you might consider adding two columns on the left hand side (or even just one), but each column would be a single merged cell. This would allow for the copy/pasting of text data without having to split it on a line to line basis. It would make life much easier for copy/pasting things like magic item descriptions.

Third, concerning the Character Summary page I have two requests:
    1) Concerning the spell list, would it be possible to either underline or make bold the spell names in the list. It would make finding spells in the list much easier. If you make the spell names both bold and underlined even better;
    2) Like my second request above, you conditionally expand at least a 2nd page? Multi-classing takes up a lot of space.
    Thanks for the feedback

1st Custom classes would be awesome I agree, but I don't have the resources to implement it!
    2nd You can show and hide elements of the Race, Background, Class & Feats detail in the Start Sheet. For example you could hide Feats detail, then add your own sheet and use the formula =CharacterFeatDetails to show your feats in a separate area. I've avoided using too many merged cells for free text entry as the sheet is also designed for pen and paper.
    3rd I've got some ideas on this, possibly implement in the next version but requires a bit of work. For expanding the summary page recommend using the show / hide options to minimize details that you need to focus on (like remove your Race and Background then use the Additional Detail section to make some comments to summarize these or just leave them off)
  11. tukuiPat
    At the moment I just use ALT+Enter to go to the next line when editing a cell. You can use a simple "-" to create bullet points or a fancier one if you like. I could split that section up into several cells where each cell would have a specific bullet point automatically added
    thanks for the tip, will make things a lot easier to do.
  12. dunstvangeet
    One bug report. On the Adventurer's Sheet, the Adventure Notes / Downtime Activity is protected, and not writable (or is this imported from somewhere else?
  13. Mergon
    Thanks for the feedback

1st Custom classes would be awesome I agree, but I don't have the resources to implement it!
    2nd You can show and hide elements of the Race, Background, Class & Feats detail in the Start Sheet. For example you could hide Feats detail, then add your own sheet and use the formula =CharacterFeatDetails to show your feats in a separate area. I've avoided using too many merged cells for free text entry as the sheet is also designed for pen and paper.
    3rd I've got some ideas on this, possibly implement in the next version but requires a bit of work. For expanding the summary page recommend using the show / hide options to minimize details that you need to focus on (like remove your Race and Background then use the Additional Detail section to make some comments to summarize these or just leave them off)
    2nd: The problem with that is the players want all the data you say can be hidden. Most of them don't play off a laptop like I and a few others do, so they want to print out all the details concerning their character. If it can be added as another page below Character Sheet II that only appears if needed (for print purposes I mean) I'd greatly appreciate it, other users in this forum would also probably appreciate it and, unfortunately, the biggest, smelliest, fattest male player in my group would probably want to have your love child <barf>. . . [He has 3 classes . . .]
  14. ForgedAnvil
    Quote Originally Posted by dunstvangeet View Post
    One bug report. On the Adventurer's Sheet, the Adventure Notes / Downtime Activity is protected, and not writable (or is this imported from somewhere else?
    Good feedback. Bug, will fix and release again but no version change

UPDATE: New upload is now live, same version
  15. flwad
    As usual, you amaze with your effort. Small point. I was loading out my Horse in the Possession Not on Person section and the location list does not include Horse. I would suggest listing as 'Mount' to allow for other types. Also, you may want to include "Familiar" as a location. As always, thanks for your attention, and please know that while the masses remain silent, they are basking in your awesomeness. But seriously, my group includes some IT professionals who have been playing for a long time, and I started with three little pamphlets. We all appreciate your work, and although I am the only one commenting, they are all impressed with your work and use it. Have a beer on us.
  16. Kiax
    Awesome work!
    Thank you for the adventures league log tab. It works well. However the transfer tool is not copying this information.
  17. ForgedAnvil
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiax View Post
    Awesome work!
    Thank you for the adventures league log tab. It works well. However the transfer tool is not copying this information.
    Thanks for the awesome note. Yes, no transfer yet. planned for next version! (wasn't designed to transfer from 1.60 to 1.60)
  18. ForgedAnvil
    Quote Originally Posted by flwad View Post
    As usual, you amaze with your effort. Small point. I was loading out my Horse in the Possession Not on Person section and the location list does not include Horse. I would suggest listing as 'Mount' to allow for other types. Also, you may want to include "Familiar" as a location. As always, thanks for your attention, and please know that while the masses remain silent, they are basking in your awesomeness. But seriously, my group includes some IT professionals who have been playing for a long time, and I started with three little pamphlets. We all appreciate your work, and although I am the only one commenting, they are all impressed with your work and use it. Have a beer on us.
    Hey flwad, thanks for the great comments from you and your group, it is fantastic to hear that you guys are having loads of fun and enjoying playing the game with the character generator.

No problem to add the mount and familiar in the drop down list in the next version, though it doesn't stop you to type any location into a cell today. the list is there to allow a selection of the most common things but if there is a location that's not in the list you can type any free text in.

Thanks for the beer, indeed good timing for the weekend - here's cheers!
  19. ForgedAnvil
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergon View Post
    2nd: The problem with that is the players want all the data you say can be hidden. Most of them don't play off a laptop like I and a few others do, so they want to print out all the details concerning their character. If it can be added as another page below Character Sheet II that only appears if needed (for print purposes I mean) I'd greatly appreciate it, other users in this forum would also probably appreciate it and, unfortunately, the biggest, smelliest, fattest male player in my group would probably want to have your love child <barf>. . . [He has 3 classes . . .]
    Hey Mergon, thanks for the feedback - love children are certainly not a convincing argument to implement features!

Just to clarify, what combinations of classes (including levels) are causing issues with space limitations on CSII? I'd like to have a look into more detail. I understand the info is needed, but the suggestion offered doesn't reduce the information but moves that detail to another sheet created by the user. The feats example achieves moving that detail from CSII (only focusing on Race, Background and Class(es). Feats detail would be detailed on a new sheet designed by the player (by adding a new sheet and typing in a cell =CharacterFeatDetail - merge the cells as required and design it as you like
  20. stackout
    - NEW FEATURE Added the Adventurers Log sheet. Enter initial XP, Gold, Downtime, Renown, Magic Items and each game enter Earned only and the sheet does the rest!
    Thank you so much for making this awesome tool!

How does the Magic Items field function? It looks like a blank text field. How does on express downtime - units in days?

Report File

Reason

Report Comment

Reason

Report Link

Reason