Thumbnail

Rating: +1
Favourites: 0

Report File

The Dreaming Heralds [Level 1; Temple]

File Information

Files   

Laugh Jay Sanzin laughed with this post
A wandering farm boy falls foul of an ancient trap and is plunged into a death-like sleep. The cure lies in a temple hidden in the green gloom of Merthington Woods, but to find it, the adventurers must brave a set of terrible traps laid by a forgotten sect of priests...

A D&D Next adventure for 1st level characters
By Michael Button
  1. seankreynolds
    The criteria I'm looking for are:
    (A) encounters that play up various party roles (martial, skill, magic, etc.)
    (B) whether the adventure sites have a reasonable ecology (what, no bathrooms?)
    (C) the narrative flow of the overall adventure.

I like the background story of the cultist-turned-undead, and how he used his powers to turn his victims into undead servants.

The visual impact of the reanimated cultists is cool and evocative.

There's some confusing language is some places, like area 9, which says "Alas the preservation magic placed upstairs does cover this area, so none of the stored items have rotted or rusted, and are of no value" ... which sounds like the author switched the intent and didn't update all the text (if the spell works, and none of the stored items are ruined, why are they of no value?).

I like that the author introduced various plot hooks that a GM can use to plan followup adventures.

(A) This adventure gives a skill character things to do, such as tracking, dealing with traps, identifying the poison, and so on. There are creatures for martial and magical characters to defeat.

(B) Although it is filled with undead, the author included details that made the place feel like it was a place where people lived, such as the magically-preserved food awaiting the awakening priests, the water cistern and plumbing, the use of magical light to feed the plants, and so on.

(C) This adventure is mainly passive traps and undead waiting for the PCs, so it's more of a dungeon-exploration adventure than anything with a narrative flow. The adventure works as it is, but the static nature of the dangers means it lacks urgency (especially as there's nothing to indicate the farmboy is at risk of dying any time soon) and the PCs can explore it at their own pace.
  2. OakenMonk
    Running this campaign as an introduction to the game for my friends. It's simple and interesting enough to get them hooked! I've added a few little tweaks myself to tailor it to my friends' likes and dislikes OOC.

Good campaign, easy to alter and scale to different numbers of players. Interesting plot
  3. Angel Joseph Piscola
    A level 1 paladin could cure this with 5 points of lay on hands, no?
  4. caddy
    Nice module with an interesting plot/backstory. There are a number of typos, but nothing major. I used it for our group to take a break from a months-long campaign, they created new characters to use in a series of single-session mini-adventures that we'll do every so often with others who can't play on a regular basis.

Some changes I made:

• I redid the maps to make the building larger and the rooms a bit more spacious and also rearranged a bit, I felt the building's floors didn't really fit together well in a logical way.
    • The herald at the top of the stair didn't run away, but stood his ground and fought. I didn't want the top-room heralds coming down, instead opting for a final climactic battle. It also gave the players a chance to discover how to prevent the reanimation, which they did. Although before deducing it, they tried re-slitting his throat and plucking out his eyes. Gross and funny stuff.
    • Coincidentally, the party included no humans. I decided to make the Lesser Hierophant's blood unsuitable for the antidote since it was tainted with the potion. The party ended up carrying him to the farm and reviving him there. It was quite poignant, with several party members feeling quite sad at his story.

My only major issue was the lack of detail (AC, HP, etc) on the snake, rats, and zombies, it would have been helpful to have those details right in the module instead of having to dig it all up.

Overall, a worthwhile mini-adventure that was fun. Although not perfect, it was well thought out. The detailed but not overly complex backstory gave lots of material for me to ad-lib bits and pieces during gameplay that really added to the party's enjoyment.
  5. Raskullockfoot
    Hi There

This looks like a great introduction to 5th ed module. would you mind if I use it as such at a small convention I'n organizing here in South Africa?

Kind regards

Richard van den Heever

Report File

Reason

Report Comment

Reason

Report Link

Reason