Night Below

4 out of 5 rating for Night Below

This was one of the first large scale adventures I ever played. I can only comment on the latter half of the game, as I joined the group after the campaign had already begun. However, I found it engaging and challenging despite the experience of the other players. You'll never want to see another Aboleth again, that I can tell you.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
4 out of 5 rating for Night Below

One of the classics. I have fond memories of this boxed set. It has its flaws - the middle section can drag a little - but the opening sandboxy county leading to the epic dungeon crawl are superb. I'd love to see this updated for later editions.

werecorpse

Adventurer
5 out of 5 rating for Night Below

Night Below is 2e, but is useful for any edition, it is D&D at its best. It is an exceptionally evocative adventure path and more. The Underdark isn't some place with human like cities. It is full of alien creatures, weird encounters and things man was not meant to have to deal with. Lots of tentacles, acid and slime. Unlike many adventure paths it has a lot of sandbox elements. The party is meant to not just pursue a mission but explore this alien realm. It is divided into three books. The first details the surface world and the path that will lead adventurers into the Underdark. The second allows adventurers to interact with various elements of the Underdark including various clusters of intelligent monsters, potentially friendly races and mindless threats. This culminates in battling an Underdark city. The third book involves dealing with high level threats and weird places ending up fighting aboleth in an aboleth city in the sunless sea. It still has the potential for interaction with potential allies and the like.Because it was such a good adventure when 3e came out Despite being 2e I converted it and ran it between 2000-2006 on a roughly fortnightly basis as our first 3e adventure. I converted it to finish at 20th level. We probably played more than 120 4-5 hour sessions and really got to experience all aspects of 3e and have a great game along the way. The highlight was probably the final battle in book 2, partly because it ended up having one PC survivor and the bad guys wiped out ( the PC brought everyone back) but largely because this occurred around level 13 and after that 3e becomes grindy. This campaign gets talked about a lot in my group, and we have gamed together since the early - mid 80's . By the end of 6-7 years real time ( and about 3 years game time) the party had spent so long game time in the Underdark the characters started to the suffer from a game version of PTSD and refer to the surface as the overlight. Sometimes you can never go home. Seriously what more can you ask of a prefab campaign?I recommend this as a campaign. If I hadn't already run it I would be converting it to 5e and running a 1-20 level 5e Night Below campaign. I still might do that - I just need a new group.

JLant

First Post
5 out of 5 rating for Night Below

This is a sequel/spiritual successor to Descent Into the Depths of the Earth/The Vault of the Drow. Great atmosphere and sandboxy adventure; plays well with the Dungeon magazine adventure "Kingdom of the Ghouls" by Wolfgang Baur.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases