[OT]Boycott Disney!

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Dinkledog, I think you have nailed it.

The same demographic that fears D&D has been anti-Disney for several years now. AFAIK the reasons range from the Disney company's employee benefits policy to the fact that some of their movies are perceived by detractors to encourage children to talk back to their parents. This might be Disney's attempt to bring those disaffected former consumers back into the fold.

There. Did I explain it without delving into politics or religion?

(edit-spelling)

Last edited:

Dragongirl

First Post
Come on Dinkeldog and Buttercup you can say it!! Disney is pro fairie and anti pirate!

Personally I don't think this is worth boycotting Disney for me. D&D as anything can become an obsession for certain people and it can get out of hand. It could have been done better if they only portrayed one person in the gaming group being this way instead of the entire group.

Aeolius

Adventurer
CTD said:
That's your daily moment of empowerment. :)

I have written a few of those letters, myself. Most recently to Nike, for a shoe ad that belittled the disabled, and to Politically Incorrect, when Bill Maher likened the disabled to dogs. Nike apologized and dropped the ad. Bill Maher’s show is gone.

I win.

Yesterday, I sent a letter off to BP Oil, who’s local station allows delivery trucks to unload in the handicap-designated spaces . I may take that a step further, and lobby my local politicians for a measure which would temporarily revoke the CDL license of any delivery driver who parks in handicap-designated spaces.

That may be less personal than knocking over a motorcycle parked in the striped zone of a handicap parking space (which I did last month, albeit to a moped), but it’s a start.

kenjib

First Post
I agree with this so deeply. It's a real shame how they take advantage of childrens' lack of critical faculties in order to fabricate false demand in the marketplace. It's not even just the commercials. Half of the programming is just 30/60/120 minute long infomercial in disguise.

Moxie said:
I think it’s the height of hypocrisy for Disney to slam anyone or anything for being addictive and cultish. Look at the way Disney programs children with their marketing. Every movie has to have a big fast food tie-in with toys and more toys to buy in the story. Disney is quite effective in programming children to be good little cooperative conspicuous consumers.

NLP

First Post
So what if Disney did use stereotypes? Have you been to Gen Con lately? 75% of us are geeks! Probably 90% of us are overweight to some degree. And as for girls, I have been gaming for 20 years and have never had a woman in one of my games; and considering that everyone in my gaming group is married that says a lot.

Our life is dictated by stereotypes. Some are good, some are not so good. But everything in life cannot be so PC that we cannot take a look at ourselves and get a chuckle out of it. Making fun of each other is what we do best. :)

Last edited:

Pyske

Explorer
I remember a conversation about this too. In fact, as I recall, someone later in the thread posted that it was actually pro-D&D when at the end of the episode the missing "cool kid" is revealed to be one of the gamers who decided that he liked it better gaming that playing sports. Do I misrecall?

. . . . . . . -- Eric

jollyninja

First Post
disney owns abc and espn. you are asking me to cut my nfl watching in half? sorry. also they own a hockey team that the oilers play on tv frequently.

oh yes, spongebob does in fact rule!

Moe Ronalds

First Post
I have nothing against the geek stereotype you mentioned (I'm into star wars, D&D, I spend WAY too much time on the computer and I have a chest that would make Pamela Anderson bow down in reverence :eek: ) although I do know that would offend some (once again I appoligize for the fact that my mere existance promotes stereotypes). I don't, however, like hearing about how it mentioned the kid's grades dropping and him stealing to buy stuff.

Okay, poor grammar hour done now. :D

Remove ads