The great post count debate!

MythandLore

First Post
graydoom said:

If I have over 100/day, does that mean I'm spending too much time here?

:rolleyes:
Total Posts: 243 (112.85 posts per day)
Wicht said:

Most certainly - especially as I was forced to be away from the boards for almost a whole three hours today and you shot way up there :D
Total Posts: 187 (116.65 posts per day)

omedon

First Post
This topic is both valid and respectable but somehow it has deteriorated into a shameless excuse for racking up post count totals. If that is all anybody here wants to do then why doesn't somebody just start a topic called bump?

I myself like post counts but it is these kind of shennanigans that wrecks them for everybody. If it is possible I wouldn't mind if the post counter was changed so that it only counted posts that have more than 100 characters in them, or some other limit, that way people are less likely to spam all over the place just to drive up their totals.

It might be really good for the forums because then the people who strive to get high totals will be motivated to make larger posts in order to do so. This would add a lot more substance to the messageboards and eliminate some of the fluff making them even more fun and intersting then they already are.

MythandLore

First Post
omedon said:
This topic is both valid and respectable but somehow it has deteriorated into a shameless excuse for racking up post count totals. If that is all anybody here wants to do then why doesn't somebody just start a topic called bump?
God :):):):) it! Don't give them ideas.

omedon said:
I myself like post counts but it is these kind of shennanigans that wrecks them for everybody. If it is possible I wouldn't mind if the post counter was changed so that it only counted posts that have more than 100 characters in them, or some other limit, that way people are less likely to spam all over the place just to drive up their totals.

It might be really good for the forums because then the people who strive to get high totals will be motivated to make larger posts in order to do so. This would add a lot more substance to the messageboards and eliminate some of the fluff making them even more fun and intersting then they already are.
I really like the idea.
Is it possible?
I think it would be really great to have a Top 10 "Real Posts"
But...
By quoting you I just gave my post more words then you posted.
Also, there are people playing "You Bastard" (along with -ahem- chess *I wonder who this is*) in Fight Club, this makes their current totals go up fast .
I think the best thing to do right now is just ignore super high post counts.

Last edited:

Tiefling

First Post
omedon said:

BUMP. ;)

Wicht

Hero
sotmh said:
I think this thread is rather successfully illustrating my point.

Thank guys! :D

sotmh

No problem - glad to help out a fellow board member.

As for spamming - the quirky posts on this thread represent a minority faction of my posts which are usually fairly intelligent and almost always informative. :p

The post I make in the fight club as a judge or as a player are legitimate posts and while I will admit that chess bumps up the post count by 20-30 per game, its not like we play chess everyday - I have only played 1 game on this board and 1 on the other board.

graydoom

First Post
Jarval said:
Chess? You are kidding arn't you?
No, he isn't.

And if you don't care for post counts... just ignore them. Personally, I think they can be a fun little diversion without really meaning all that much, but hey, what do I know?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases