Masters of the Wild: First Impressions

Psion

Adventurer
Joshua Dyal said:

Oh, and Wayne Reynolds seems to have disappeared from the splatbook scene, much to its detriment.

He has some pics in here... like the Tamer of Beasts and the Geomancer (wasted a good pic on the book's lamest PrC... BID). So he's in there. but yes, I would agree there is way too much Cramer artwork in recent books for my happiness.

Henry

Autoexreginated
AAAAHHH!

I want my book! :mad:

Didn't help, but it sure felt better.

Can anyone tell me if there is any space devoted to the role of Druids in Different Demi-human cultures (elven druids versus human druids, etc.)?

Last edited:

Enkhidu

Explorer
I've seen both sides of this issue, and was wondering if anyone has asked the sage about it...

MotW has the expanded Toughness feats (Dwarf's Giant's and Dragon's) with the PreReqs of Minimum saving throws. Now, logic would seem (to me at least) that that is meant to be base saves, but the text does not specifically state that. So, does it mean base saves (like BAB is a PreReq for so many other things), or is it total (including ability mods, etc)?

Seule

Explorer
Wolfspider said:

Hmmm...I haven't heard anybody disallow two PrCs either.

In my game, one character is taking 4 Prestige Classes in 4 levels: 7th Arcane Archer, 1st Deepwood Sniper, 1st Templar, 1st Order of the Bow Initiate. However, that'll get her to 17th level overall. As you can see, I have no problem with multiple Prestige Classes, as long as they all fit the concept (in this case, cleric of an Elven god of Archery, with levels of Ranger).

To bring this back on topic, I think the book is the best splatbook out yet. As imaginative as Tome and Blood, as useable and solid as Song and Silence, and (as far as I can tell so far) no real errors unlike Sword and Fist and Defenders of the Faith.

--Seule

Vanye

Explorer
Enkhidu said:
MotW has the expanded Toughness feats (Dwarf's Giant's and Dragon's) with the PreReqs of Minimum saving throws. Now, logic would seem (to me at least) that that is meant to be base saves, but the text does not specifically state that. So, does it mean base saves (like BAB is a PreReq for so many other things), or is it total (including ability mods, etc)?

Uhm...

Dragons Toughness
MotW, p 22
"You are incredibly tough"
Prerequisite: Base Fort save bonus +11.

The dwarf and giant one also say base. You might want to check your copy again...

Christian

Explorer
Re: Insight on release date

Ulver said:
This was an experiment from Wizards on staggering the release dates.

Hobby Stores got the book today, Bookstores get the book on March 6th.

HOLD THE PRESSES! Amazon now claims my book is in the mail-er, the UPS truck. And lest I fall into the trap of believing their unadorned word once again, I confirmed with UPS that they're telling the truth! Or, at least they shipped me something, I guess I'll find out for certain what when it gets here.

Damn, I'm getting cynical. Anyway, my book is supposedly winging its way to me even as I type. :) :) :)

Claude Raines

First Post
Re: Re: Insight on release date

Christian said:

HOLD THE PRESSES! Amazon now claims my book is in the mail-er, the UPS truck. And lest I fall into the trap of believing their unadorned word once again, I confirmed with UPS that they're telling the truth! Or, at least they shipped me something, I guess I'll find out for certain what when it gets here.

I also ordered from Amazon. They're telling me to expect it to be shipped either Feb. 12th or 13th (yes, last week), but that it hasn't been shipped yet. :( I wish I was as lucky as you.

Enkhidu

Explorer
Vanye said:

Uhm...

Dragons Toughness
MotW, p 22
"You are incredibly tough"
Prerequisite: Base Fort save bonus +11.

The dwarf and giant one also say base. You might want to check your copy again...

I have only one thing to say to that...

D'oh!

Chalk one up for "ye of little brain."

psionotic

Favorite Class Book yet

I think that this is the best classbook yet, and I'm not even a huge fan of the classes it was written for. The new Wildshape description finally makes sense, and I think that the prestige class list is miles ahead of the ones in S&S and DotF. Mostly cool feats. A couple of points:

-I like the fact that the new toughness feats are tied to base fort save. This was a novel way to include these without making them prereqs for eachother or allowing a 10th level elven wizard to nearly double their hp by taking 1 feat.

-How evil are the Bane of Infidels and the Hexer? I want to match a party up against one of these guys, and soon!

-The Exotic Weapon Master is the only lame PrC. Its third level ability of proficiency with all exotic weapons makes the 3 exotic weapon feats you spent to get in a complete waste..

-New animal companion rules and items are cool. The Legendary Animals are neat, although it would have been nice to have been provided a template showing how to make any animal into a dire or legendary animal.

-I actually kinda like the Geomancer. Different and weird, but no more so that the oozemaster.

-Far less errata than some previous books, although I have found two instances so far: The Deepwood Sniper gets Keen Arrows at first level according to the chart and description. But the chart also shows 'keen edge' as a 6th level ability that isn't referenced in the class description.

Also, the Snakelord (animal lord) gets the Resist Poison feat as their first totem, but the same feat is listed as a requirement for the class. (I'm guessing that one or the other was supposed to be Great Fortitude?)

Remove ads