Wizardru's Story Hour (updated 11/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zad

First Post
The Heart of Nightfang Spire - Chapter 4

Dravot’s Journal -Heart of Nightfang Spire III

I write this awaiting the dawn, when Scorch will teleport myself and Kayleigh’s body back to Greyhawk, along with himself. Gelban has made arrangements with my temple to raise Kayleigh from the dead. I can only hope that she wishes to return.

Nightfang Spire continues to test our wills and is our greatest challenge to date. Even Chavram doesn’t seem as difficult as this accursed place.

When Jozan and I recovered from our encounter with the specters, we headed back into the spire. We had a plan to deal with them, and it seemed reasonable. We would do our utmost to provide Kayleigh with the best armor our majicks could provide. With her superior dexterity, she would be the most resistant to the draining touch of the specters. She would be the rabbit to draw out the foxes so that we could hunt them down.

As my father always said, no plan survives contact with the enemy…and this was no exception to that rule.

We found that the first level was re-inhabited by a few vampire spawn and specters. We made quick work of them, and followed them back into the same room with the stone coffins and then destroyed them permanently. I plan on removing those coffins the next time we go back in there.

We then moved up to the stairway and the scene of our hasty retreat from the spire the day before. We set up our final few spells. I cast negative energy protection upon myself, and Scorch cast haste upon me as well. I needed to be able to toss down extra spells and turnings quickly, and we needed me to survive any specter touches, else we would have to retreat yet again.

Kayleigh moved down the stairs and into the room. Nothing. She opened the door, not trying to make noise, but not avoiding either. Nothing. She moved back to the stairs and chaos erupted all about her, in the form of 6 shadow mastiffs, which surrounded her completely.

We quickly moved in to aid her. Scorch was in bug form and flew down into the room out of the way. The daylight spell he had cast earlier would prove invaluable, as it would keep the mastiffs from using their shadow defenses. Rackhir moved down the stairs and lept deftly into the corner where he planned to wreak havoc upon the beasts. Valanthe climbed down the wall and started in on them as well. Jozan and I moved down the stairs, and Jozan attacked the beast upon the stairs.

The battle started out some what predictably…we took our lumps as we moved in, finding our rhythm and then we set about to destroy the beasts. Then, one by one, they erupted in a horrible baying howl that chilled me to the bone. I wanted to flee, run in terror, but managed to get control of myself and stay to fight. Others in the party experienced the same inner conflict of fight or flight. Rackhir succumbed to the terror and fled out the door and off into other rooms. I had no idea where he went, but feared for his safety.
A few seconds later, Valanthe decided that she could take no more and climbed up the wall and back to the first floor. I was concerned for her, but since we had cleared out that level, I figured that she’d be safe for a bit.

Scorch then unleashed a cone of frost upon 3 of the hounds, destroying them. This gave Kayleigh room to move back and unleash some arrows into one of them, and Jozan and I hacked upon another. We quickly dispatched of them all.

We established that Rackhir and Valanthe were safe, and decided to press on. We had only so much time before these spells wore off, and needed to make use of that time. Hindsight is the clearest, and now I wish we had gathered our comrades before pressing on. I detected undead to the right (Rackhir turned to the left), so Kayleigh moved up and opened the door and right into the room, just like the plan.

In retrospect, the plan had some gaping holes. We didn’t take into account the despair that could fall upon people in the presence of a mummy. We didn’t plan on Kayleigh being so far ahead of us before we could get to her and assist her with anything. We didn’t anticipate what the mummy would do if it had an isolated victim.

I could only stand there and watch as the mummy, Aotek moved up to her and killed her in an instant. It felt like time was at a standstill and I could do nothing else to help her. I am sure that I will be haunted by those images tonight and in my dreams for weeks to come. We plan on bringing her back from the Afterlife tomorrow (if she is amenable), but that is little comfort tonight.

As her body fell to the ground, I knew what I had to do. We needed to recover her body as fast as possible, and we needed to destroy this evil villain permanently. I consecrated the area and then invoked the powers of Pelor to destroy 2 specters outright and Jozan dragged Kayleigh’s corpse to safety. Another specter moved up and tried to drain me of life energy, but could not. He was burned by my fireshield in the process and I smirked a bit at him.

The mummy performed some bizarre tumbling action and wound up behind me, in the corridor. I wanted to strike at him as he passed, but his speed and agility proved to be too much for me to handle. He struck at me with a stunning blow, but my armor shrugged off the shot, and he was also injured by the fireshield.

Jozan moved back into combat, and engaged the mummy, exchanging blows with it. Scorch fired some magic missiles at the remaining specters at the same time. At this point, Rackhir came running back around the hallway, expecting to help out, but caught sight of the mummy and found himself paralyzed with fear. One of the specters went to him and drained him of life force.

At this point, the remaining specters were far apart from each other, and my turnings had little effect upon the mummy. Unsure of what to do, I turned the nearby specter, forcing him to flee, I then turned around and attempted to injure the mummy with the searing light of Pelor, but the mummy was too fast and I missed.

Valanthe appeared out of the shadows next to me and attacked the nearby specter, but missed. I invoked a greater turning from Pelor and destroyed the specter that was threatening Rackhir. After seeing Kayleigh collapse, I was in no mood to see any of the rest of my companions in a similar state.

Jozan and Scorch finished off the mummy with sword blows and lightning bolts, and I used searing light upon the last remaining specter. We searched the rooms and the mummy’s corpse quickly, gathering the loot and retreated from the spire yet again.

Dravot’s Journal – Nightfang Spire III (back in Greyhawk)

Kayleigh is once again alive, and I praise Pelor for his help in this. Gelban made arrangements with the temple for raising her from the dead. I was prepared to call in whatever favors I had (admittedly few at the moment, given my recent behavior) or even return my greater holy symbol, but ultimately did not need to do so.

She is weak and somewhat disoriented, which is understandable. I have taken care of her wounds and healed her back up. At this point, I think, the greatest wound remaining is to her pride, but I cannot heal that for her…only she can do it.

Gelban says that he’ll understand if we don’t want to go back to the Spire. Kayleigh seems reticent, which makes sense under the circumstances. I hope that she returns, but I will go back with or without her, as I refuse to let the Spire get the best of me. Gulthias will fall.

Scorch is taking some time to identify some of the items that we have found recently, so I spent much of the afternoon and evening running errands, picking up supplies, putting Jasmine upon a new task for the house, and I plan on speaking with my superiors at the Temple shortly. I will tell them of my decisions and recent actions, and fill them in on the details of Rackhir and Chavram, and to hand them the brand which I was prepared to use upon my arm.

In the meantime, I will go to the temple hospital and help heal and tend to the sick. If I have time, I will pray for us all.

Zad

First Post
A letter

The acolyte entered, dressed in simple brown robes, the finely crafted leather belt and amulet about his neck the only embellishments he wore. He walked silently, as dictated by the code, and kneeled before the elderly figure sitting at the small writing table. The old elf, dressed in a similar fashion, seemed to look even plainer, if it could be said to be possible. His brow furrowed at the sight of the young elf that knelt before him.
"Javril...get off the floor. If I've told you once, I've told you a dozen score that we are equals. The people of the Testing are equal in their past, as likes their future. Enough with this nonsense."

"As you say, sir", he replied. Even this had an air of deference, and in truth, the whole scene repeated many times each day. It had almost become a ritual, though the old elf found it tiresome and wished it had not. As he spoke, the younger elf rose and offered forth a scroll of fine vellum, a wax seal plain upon it. The elder had not doubt as to whom it was from.

"There's a good lad," replied the elder, taking the scroll. "Off with you now. We need less rest than humans, but we need it still. It was time you were abed."

"As you say, master...but I will wait in the chamber without all the same. The messenger felt it might be necessary to send a return message with some haste."

Knowing he could do little to dissuade young Javril, the elder dismissed him to his duty, promising to summon him shortly if a message was needed, or to send him away if he was sure not to. The elder waited patiently until he was alone to examine the scroll.

The wax seal bore a golden dragon taking flight. From Gelban, then. The Gilden indulged in few vanities or pleasures, but this was one. The elder's eyes could see the wards placed upon the paper. Any but he to open it and the message gone, and probably far worse. Gelban truly hated spies, it was true. He broke the seal and began to read the scroll.

It read:

Silvering,

Kayleigh is dead.

The Spire, which you assured me was not beyond their ken, has surely proved a difficult task for them, and now one of them has fallen. I know you find my distress at the plight of our servants an indulgence, and think me soft-hearted or overly-sensitive. But I cannot and will not willingly send them into death. Danger, yes, but not certain suicide.

I have made arrangements with church of Pelor. They have no great love for merchants, but Kayleigh was an elf of good repute, and my donations [from my own hoard, you'll note] have certainly made them more receptive to the idea. Would that I could have convinced them for a True Resurrection, but they quietly put my messengers off that idea. I would go in person to plead my case, but you know the enchantments that guard the Temple do not make judgements as to your attitude...our kind are kept away as a rule.

Dravot and Scorch have returned with her body, and set about making the arrangments. The others have remained behind in Fallen Tenh, to await the outcome and decide their next course of action. Gulthias be damned. Were there not wards, I would see this done ourselves. But Ashardalon saw to that, as he saw to so much. Damn him, and the rest of the Spectral. We have much unfinished business with them.

Kayleigh is awakened, now. Her manner is most distressing to me. She is lost to herself. I worry that I may needs to keep her from returning to the spire, lest she do more harm than good. I still owe her father a debt, and the Celenian would scarce appreciate the loss of a champion.

I worry what power Gulthias has awoken, and if it was you theorized in your last letter. Is such a thing possible? And what does it mean for the supplicants who follow him?

The Mark has been moved from Dravot to Rackhir. I find this news disturbing, not comforting. I never approved of the northman's inclusion in the ranks of our servants, and now he is distressingly close to embracing one of our enemies. Your assurances that he will serve his part are cold comfort to me.

Of even more concern is the news that the upstart, Chavram, believed the mark to have been altered or tampered with. By whom? And when? Dravot has no recollection of such a thing...and Chavram mentioned the name of Fraz'Urb'Luu. Could the Society be on the rise again? If so, what are we to do about it?

See me at your earliest convienence.

The Gilden

The Silvering stared at the paper for some minutes. He sighed an ancient great sigh, as only the oldest of all living dragons could. Would his penance never end?

He summoned Javril back to the study, and issued a letter to Gelban. Javril waited quietly, and when the time was ready, took the message and teleported away.

After he left, The Silvering sighed, again. If only he had been more diligent with the elves...if only he had prevented the discovery of the keys when he had the chance...then none of this, none of it, would have happened.

Attachments

• --Challenger Picture-- - Copy.jpg
    --Challenger Picture-- - Copy.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 590

Zad

First Post
DM Observations

Originally posted by Wizardru
-------------------------------------

The DM's Perspective

So what happened, you may ask?

A few different things.

First, the players had a plan. It was a good one. Boffo. And but for a few will saves, it would have worked flawlessly. Kayleigh, I found out, was intended to attact the spectres, and then a whammy was to be laid down. The problem? The spectres were waiting for an attack, and were told to hold their position.

So when Kayleigh arrived in the stairwell room where they'd been ambushed last time, she was expecting another one. It didn't happen. Dravot, who had an extended haste, was waiting to run in and use a consecrate and follow it up with Greater Turning. What Dravot's journal fails to mention is that Kayleigh nearly began doing a jig on the Gulthis tree symbol...and that caused the mastiffs to appear.

Scorch flew in, and with his daylight spell, the mastiffs stopped being a threat. Except that room was still limited, but they weren't hitting at all. However they started baying, and first Rackhir and then Valanthe both succumbed to Panic. This screwed up the Plan something terrible.

Not wanting to waste the spells, Kayleigh rushed into the room with the Mummy, and ran smack dab into a failed will save against Aotek's Despair ability. He Coup-de-Graced her with the kama, and she went down like a piece of meat.

Rackhir ran through half the level, always managing to run through safe rooms. Valanthe, meanwhile, decided to roll the dice again, and this time called upon (as a mental action) Ralishaz the Unsought for help to save the group. Initially she hoped to exchange her life for Kayleigh's...but that's out of Ralishaz's domain. He did remove the panic from Rackhir and Valanthe, Shadow Jumped Val back into the fight, and gave both of them signifcant temporary bonuses. Which, in Rackhir's case, backfired when he still managed to fail the despair save against the mummy. Luckily, the Spectre who targeted him chose merely to drain him...as is their wont.

It could have gone bloodier, but it also could have gone much smoother.

At this point, I'm reviewing the module. I'm beginning to think that CR10 is a little low for this module, which seems to have some killer encounters in it. I only added one spectre to scale the encounter up for the party. In truth, even if Aotek hadn't coup-de-grace'd Kayleigh, she'd have been cut to ribbons and drained simlutaneously. And I wasn't even running this as nasty as I could have.

I may increase the x.p. awards, after checking the x.p. calculations. My biggest problem is the encounter is EL Variable, which is functionally useless for determining x.p. awards. Come on Bruce Cordell, gimme some guidance.

Hiatus week coming, and some discussion amongst the party. Kayleigh's been having a heck of a time lately. Time for the Paladin and Cleric to get cracking with the mad skillz.

Zad

First Post
--------------------------------------

Somewhere, very far away, an old thing rouses from it's sleep. It looks lazily around, still not awake, and realizes that it remains trapped within the belly of something even more ancient than itself. Something so ancient, even the parasites who use it do not know it's name.
It cannot awaken...is not allowed to awaken. But there are other ways, other beings that can aid it. A debt is owed...a debt shall be paid.

The bones shall roll.

Zad

First Post
From Dravot's Journal

Dravot’s Journal – Nightfang Spire III (still in Greyhawk)

Just a quick note before I go to meet with Scorch.

Jasmine has done wonders with the new house. She has hired a full staff and is arranging for 2 libraries for me. Our encounter with Aotek made me realize that while I have learned much about the Undead, there is still much I do not know. To my shame and embarrassment, Verilunda has made me realize this as well. I will endeavor to track down and make the best library of legend and lore about the undead that I can. If we stay here longer, I will start tomorrow by combing through bookstores and making contact with various agents in town.

I met with Prestwick, the head of the Temple to hand over the brand. I mentioned to Cunegunda in passing about my decision, and she seemed quite pleased. I cannot begin to imagine the worry that I have put people through here in Greyhawk.

Prestwick’s office chambers were the same as I remember it from the last time I was there. I have only been in the rooms once before, when I first came to Greyhawk. I told him briefly about our last trip into the spire, explaining why I was back so soon. He knew why, but let me speak in my own words.

I told him about my encounter with the Tabharin, and what Zara told me, but that I had already decided not to go through with the branding.

"As well, young one. We feared that you had turned too far into shadow to serve, and were in danger of falling from the path. We shall keep the brand...as a reminder of your wisdom and of Pelor's grace."

He reached to take the brand, but was suddenly surrounded by a powerful aura of yellow light, and the golden symbol was repelled from his touch, and was knocked from my hand. It began to glow with an awful red fire the color of blood, marring the symbol of Pelor into....something hideous. The fire then disappeared from whence it came, leaving the stamp half-melted. Prestwick and I stared at it in disbelief and horror. Other members of the church arrived, and verified that we were both alright, and that we were free from any taint. I shuddered. "Something must have tainted the brand. I wonder what would have happened if I had gone through with it." Truth be told, I don’t want to know the answer.

Prestwick agreed. "I shudder to think. But I am concerned with the origin of it. The blessings of Pelor protect me, or I might never have noticed it's taint. I fear for what may have been wrought with it, and how it was made. I will need to know of whoever you commissioned to fashion the thing, and we must learn more of it. Perhaps this is linked to what Chavram found....or someone who wished you ill, perhaps. Fear not, the truth shall be learned."

I told him about McGilivray, who ran the smithy for the temple. McGilivray refused to help but recommended a smith named Brontal in the Leadenhall Market who agreed to help me. Brontal was a devout follower of Pelor and was willing to help out a priest from the temple.

We shared words about Rackhir, expressing concern for him now that he has the Mark upon himself. I am unsure if one as weak-willed as he can resist Chavram when even I had such difficulty. Prestwick nodded in agreement.

Just then, I remembered something else that occurred when Chavram invaded our camp.

"Oh! I almost forgot! Someone has tampered with the Mark! Chavram was most distressed by this, and wanted to know what I did to it. I do not know if it was any of my actions though. We must examine this more closely though, and see if I did affect it."

"Chavram wondered aloud if it wasn't some demon prince though...Fraz, someone or other."

Prestwick looked alarmed. "The Demon Prince of Deception? This is ill news. But what interest would
he have in this affair? I must consult our tomes, and see to learn more. At least we can take comfort that he is not in league with Chavram. But what is on about? You bring me little comfort and much vexing, young Dravot. I should be well and truly cross with you. Have some tea, nonetheless."

We drank our tea and spoke of more pleasant matters and then I bid him good day. I left the slagged remains of the brand with him for further examination.

I must go find Scorch now. If we delay our return trip, I may go find Brontal and have a brief chat with him. I am unsure if Prestwick will investigate as well, but I started this, it is my responsibility.

Zad

First Post
From Valanthe's Journal

Valanthe’s Journal – Heart of Night Fang Spire, part 3

Let the bones roll…

Some time after Scorch and Dravot take Kayleigh's body back to be
raised. Rackhir approaches me, obviously with something on his mind.

"Twice now, I have heard the sounds of giant dice rolling and you have done
things that shouldn't be possible for you. Once when you injured that Thing,
outside Nightfang spire with your dagger and a second time when the fear the
hounds induced in us was wiped away. What are you meddling in Valanthe? For
I know all too well such favors are not granted without price. I do not know
why no one else seems to have noticed this, perhaps they were too
preoccupied with Veralunda or Dravot's actions. But it has not escaped my
notice. I took no sides when Dravot imprisoned Veralunda and you threatened
him in return, because I knew there was no real danger of blood being spilt
and it did not involve me. While I am grateful for your actions that caused
the fear to be wiped away, when you did so, you involved me in what you were
doing and I do not take that lightly."

I had to bite my tongue before I said something unwise to him. I don’t know if it occurred to him how ironic he was. I only keep things between my self and whomever I chose to do business with. And for me that does not include Chavram.

"While I understand your concern to some point, the business is between me and another. I have made only gambles and chances with my life and no one else's. Out of all of us in the group, I have the least to lose. And in fact had I not realized too late what was about to happen with Kayleigh, I would have been the one laying dead, not she. It pains me that I couldn't do anything, that I just had to listen to her die. At least Gelban was able to make arrangements to raise her, but dying has seem to put a damper on the Kayleigh we know. I hope that she shakes it off.”

“I will not go into detail more, for you may forget the fact that you have just eagerly jumped into bed with Chavram, a fact that troubles all of us in the group. And I do not know how I can say anything of importance near you lest Chavram hears all.”

“And I warn you, do not try to involve yourself in my personal affairs. You should know by now, upon seeing my actions, that I would easily take crazy chances or even offer my life for one of the group if it would help. But I do so on a personal level, and it is my business alone. I do not involve any of you, the payment when asked of me is made by me and me alone."

I turned to leave and left him to stew in his own thoughts. I have some “errands” to look into that require a bit of concentration so it’s best I’m not too angered or I might appear in the wrong place, and that would be bad…

Zad

First Post
From Rackhir's Journal

Rackhir's Journal - Heart of Nightfang Spire Pt.1

I understand that Aran'gel has said that I wield my bow like a hammer. Implying no doubt that my use of the bow is one of sheer brute force. If
that is so, it only demonstrates his ignorance of the craft of forging
weapons. For there are few things more subtle and skillful than a smith
wielding a hammer in the shaping of metal into weapons and armor. But the
elves have ever been prone to contempt for the achievements of other races.

In truth I find his comment to be ironic since, I achieve my feats with the
bow through nothing other than skill and practice, which grants me a
flexibility and range of abilities the vaunted elvish champions cannot
match. For it is magic from which they draw their ability to lay
enchantments on their arrows and that represents power, not skill in the use
of the bow.

Though, it is indeed a handy power to have and one which I envy, for
enchanted arrows cost dearly and persuading Scorch to lay such magics on my
arrows at the cost of one of his fireballs, can be like pulling teeth at
times. The lack of such an ability is an increasingly serious problem for me
for more and more creatures we encounter cannot be slain without such
arrows. I have a good solid Dwarven War Ax that can deal with such things if
necessary, but my effectiveness is greatly diminished when using it and I am
loath to do so unless given no other choice. The bow is what I have bent my
life to the use of and I intend to reap the full rewards of that investment.

While our last expedition to the Index of the Binders proved not very
profitable, Lord Gelban more than compensated for that. He does continue to
surprise me, for one who is both a merchant and a dragon, he is remarkably
un-stingy. I have known merchants who would cheat their own mother out of a
copper piece, never mind the legendary greed which is supposed to afflict
even the good dragons.

Twelve days after our return from the battle with the lesser Gulthias, we
set out for Nightfang Spire. Alas the time permitted us to stay in Greyhawk,
was far to short for me to finish the new bow I have been crafting out of
Nightscale's ribs. My current bow is an excellent weapon that has served me
far better than I could have expected, but I would prefer something with a
stronger pull. Also if I am to place my fate in the hands of a weapon I
would wish it to be one I have crafted with my own hands. Unfortunately,
crafting such a bow takes many long months of work, even for one as skilled
as I and with rushing from one crisis to another on different sides of the
continent, there has been little time to work on it. If I have my way it
will be a weapon of surpassing power when enchanted and thus I must be at
great pains to be sure it is of the highest quality.

I have also been doing some checking into procuring an exotic steed to
travel on. We have been traveling the length and breadth of the continent.
The road ahead is not likely to be an easy one and a mount as formidable as
Jozan's Crescent would be a substantial asset. The question is though should
I look for one with combat in mind or mobility and speed of travel.

We once again took the portal that the Dragons had constructed to the grove
where the Index of the Binders was located. While it was not our final
destination it did put us a substantial amount of the distance towards our
target. Though we would still be traveling a considerable distance through
Iuz's accursed lands. After several days travel, we spotted a considerable
amount of dust in the air ahead of us. Scant hours later, we were able to
determine it as the advance guard of an army.

To my surprise it was not one of Iuz's, but they marched under the banner
of Chavram, Dravot's Grandfather. They must have formed some kind of an
alliance, since I can not picture the Old One permitting such an army in his
territory otherwise and as powerful as an Animus is, Chavram could not be a
match for the Old One. Still hatred urged me to attack anyway, but a quick
check of my quivers told me that I would likely run out of arrows long
before the 30,000 strong army ran out of gnolls and ogres. Sometimes it
seems I am ever doomed to come near to the objects of my revenge without
being able deliver them to the fates they so richly deserve.

I do find myself somewhat disappointed that Ravenna has not chosen to
attack us yet. Given the frequency with which we've been assaulted by
Gulthias horrors, I had thought we would have encountered her at least once
so far. Perhaps her first death has taught her some caution or she is
seeking other means to pay me back. We do know that she is involved in
seeking the binders, but it is unclear exactly what her role in all of this
is. Her attacks on first the village and then on Aran'gel's men do not make
any sense in that context. I had thought her to be seeking plunder or to be
causing general chaos, but if she is acting at Iuz's behest in searching for
the Binders, why risk attracting the attention of one as powerful as
Aran'gel was? For she seemed to deliberately attract his attention. It is
possible she was used to clear Aran'gel out of the way and get him to chase
her, but did not fully engage him until reinforced by the Bebbilith. I am
suspect that she may also be an Animus, given the prevalence of them among
our enemies. If she is an animus, it would explain how she was able to drain
Aran'gel of his "mark", as an animus is a form of undead, frequently with
strange and unique powers. I shall have to question Scorch and Dravot more
closely as to how they may be destroyed, for as I understand things they are
impervious to most normal forms of harm.

To evade the army we took refuge in the nearby forest, however Kayleigh
failed to hide her self sufficiently well to evade the notice of the scouts
and they sent a few crossbow bolts her way. Fortunately nothing more than
that came of it, perhaps they chose not to waste time pursuing a lone elf
through the woods. It is amusing though that for all her elven pride she was
the only one to fail to escape notice in her native territory, something
even the citified Scorch was able to do successfully.

After a few hours traveling through the forest, we were set upon by some
wild elves who's territory we were passing through. Even less hospitable
than their more civilized cousins, they were reluctant to let us pass,
though Valenthe was able to persuade them to permit us to continue on our
way. Though we ate cold rations and shivered in the cold nights, as they
forbade us to light fires in their forests. The lack of hot meals not being
worth a running battle and ambushes when we have more pressing tasks.

Eventually, we emerged from the forest and resumed our trek to Nightfang
Spire. We passed through steadily deepening gorges till the walls of the
canyon stretched some thousand feet high. I was having unpleasant memories
of the goblin ambush as we passed through it, but nothing attacked us as we
did so. Eventually we reached our goal. Tall as Nightfang Spire was, it was
still dwarfed by the canyon walls, though far uglier. Whomever designed the
structure was clearly told to make it look menacing and evil and they took
to their task with a will.

One oddity that we noticed as we approached, was a small ramshackle hut
stuck up against the side. What it was doing there and why I don't know, but
we soon discovered that it was no accident. The sky had been darkening as we
conducted our preliminary scouting of the Spire, I curse myself for not
having noticed it earlier, especially given my history, but the reason had
not yet made its self known. Valenthe's sharp eyes noticed some silvery
vines around the base of the Spire as we circled the tower. It was some sort
of magical plant, which charmed it's victims into a trance and then ate
them. Initial attempts at manually clearing them away proved too slow and
risky, so I pulled out two of the blast arrows I had rigged from the
crystals and liquid we retrieved from the scarlet brotherhood boat. Having
proved too slow and clumsy for ready use in combat, I figured that wiping
out a sufficient section of the vines to permit us access to the Spire would
be a good use.

Shortly after I did that, the darkening skies revealed their source when a
blast of lightning struck Scorch. Dammed druids, should have known. Scorch
badly injured and living up to his name, we quickly fled for the cover of
the shack and discovered that we had not been the only ones to reach the
same conclusion, it was packed with bodies. No doubt those who had been
forced to seek shelter from the lightning and had fallen prey to the vines.
One was a Grugach, possibly from the tribe of wild elves we had encountered
earlier in our trip. The elf had some arrows clearly of great quality that
Kayleigh quickly determined to be magical as was the cloak the elf had.
After a brief argument between Scorch and Dravot (I didn't catch all of it,
but it had something to do with potions), Dravot healed nearly all of
Scorch's damage. That "nearly" almost proved fatal for Scorch.

Meanwhile Valenthe had gone to explore the tower trying to find a way in.
The lower "windows" proved to be nothing but recessed alcoves, the only
entrance was the spiked maw at the top. As she did so her extraordinarily
acute senses detected something. There was some kind of creature guarding
the entrance. Through the dragon scale link we could sense the crawling
revulsion the creature evoked in her. There was something unnatural about
the creature. We have faced demons, devils, dragons, undead and the living,
but this thing... was something else entirely, some sort of octipoid-winged
monstrosity. Even demons and the undead in a weird way are part of the
natural order, however horrible and perverted they may be, but this thing
was simply OTHER.

A few moments observation convinced her to move with extreme caution, the
monstrosity clearly had horribly acute senses. It was also casting spells on
it's self... Probably the source of the lightning then, not good. Nightscale
had nearly managed to kill us all, in large part due to it's spell casting
abilities and she was at best a low level mage. This thing was far larger
than even Nightscale and was casting spells much more powerful than she ever
had. After a quick discussion and examination of the shack we determined
that it would be unlikely to hold up under a sustained lightning attack and
decided to take our chances outside. Persuading Kayleigh to surrender the
elf's cloak I decided to sneak outside to see if I could prepare an ambush,
but despite the cloak's camouflaging properties and my own skills at hiding,
Valenthe told me I had been spotted the moment I stepped outside. Again not
good. Stealth was out, flight not an option given the narrow confines of the
canyon, that was left to us was a strong arm and courage.

We all scattered out of the shack and at that, the thing flew out from the
top of Nightfang Spire. I quickly snapped off a shot, but the arrow simply
bounced off it's hide, causing me to grimace and curse. Scorch had not seen
fit to enchant my arrows that day, deciding to use the spell for some other
purpose and I would have to depend on my limited stock of permanently
enchanted arrows. It was rapidly turning into bloody Nightscale all over
again, only worse. Kayleigh did little better, whether the sight of the
monster had shaken her or it was something else, she missed her shots. The
rest of the party prepared as they thought best, Scorch transformed himself
into an umber hulk, Jozan protected himself with a spell and Dravot laid a
blessing upon the group.

Drawing some of my precious magic arrows, I managed to land two arrows into
it, but the creature plummeted towards us at an incredible speed and they
did far less damage than usual as I had trouble tracking the creature while
it descended. Amazingly as the monstrosity dove towards us, Valenthe came
diving out of the sky, landing on top of the monster and plunging her sword
into it's back. She is one thoroughly crazy woman, Avalanche. Fortunately she
has the skills and talents to survive her stunts. Kayleigh seeing to her own
protection, used her sorcery to throw up a magical shield and everyone else
but Scorch simply waited for the monster's arrival. Scorch burrowed into the
ground, not a bad move on his part since this thing would tear him to pieces
if he ever came within tentacle's reach of it.

As the monster drew near the ground, Kayleigh scurried safely out of reach
and snapped off a shot. The rational thing to do, but I couldn't help
thinking of the previous battle against the Gulthian's when she was the first
to abandon the room almost before combat started. Since she's taken up with
Aran'gel, she does seem to have lost a certain spark or fire for combat. I'm
not sure she would charge through caltrops to jump a wall and strand herself
in the middle of goblin warriors anymore, as she did in the early days when
we had just been hired by Lord Gelban. Perhaps having someone to live for
has made her afraid to die. Only a fool dies without need, but it is a poor
warrior who lives in fear of death.

Now that the creature was hovering at point blank range I was able to land
three solid shots that wreaked fearful damage on it. Screaming in my mind
the monstrosity lashed out with it's tentacles, tearing my flesh and
crushing the breath from me as they wrapped round my body. By the gods it
was fearsomely strong. At that point I couldn't see much of what else was
going on, half convinced I was going to die I felt the rage boiling in my
blood that was my mother's only legacy to me. Fortunately in the
monstrosity's attempts to defend its self, the coils loosened enough that my
rage enabled me to break free of its grasp and I fell to the ground, and
managed to roll and come up on my feet.

Shortly after I fell to the ground Scorch burst out of it. Still in his
umber hulk form, he loosed a volley of magic missile that tore into the
creature. To his woe that attracted the attention of the monstrosity, which
lashed out with all of its tentacles, several landing crushing brutal blows,
followed by the tentacles constricting around his limp shattered body.

The damm fool mage, he hadn't put himself in that much peril since he
decided to go hand to hand with an orc warrior back in Drugeddon's Forge.
He's not much of one, but he's the closest thing I have to a friend among
these people. If nothing else he's the only one who's motivations I can
understand. I wouldn't trust him with if presented with a choice between
power and us, but at least I understand him well enough to know not to put
him in that position. Besides, I'm going to get an enchanted bow out of him,
one way or another and I can't collect if he's dead.

As I picked myself up and wondered how to stop this think in the scant
seconds before it reduced Scorch to a pulp, Kayleigh let loose with a volley
of arrows that tore into it. Following suit, I used some of the Arrows of
Terror, I had received from the Brazen. Though their fear effect would
probably be wasted against such a beast, they were the most powerfully
enchanted arrows I had and if Scorch had any prayer of living, I needed
every edge I could get in harming this thing. All of them landed solid hits,
but it seemed little affected though we had done enough damage to kill a
fair sized dragon. As our arrows hurtled through the air, I notice Dravot
ducking under the beast's flailing tentacles to touch Scorch and bring him
some healing. He wouldn't last more than a few seconds in this thing's
clutches but he was safe from dying for the moment.

Then something truly odd happened, things seemed to freeze for a moment and
you could almost hear the sounds of giant dice being rolled. Out of the
corner of my eye I could see Valenthe still on top of the monstrosity,
plunge her dagger into it's back. And it screamed in our heads, screamed in
agony the likes of which I have never heard. I know the dagger she carries,
it has certain useful enchantments and can be quite dangerous against the
proper creatures, but against something of this size and power, it should
have had about as much effect as a snowball against a giant. Some how she
had hurt it in a way she never should have been able to.

As it screamed the tentacles released Scorch and flailed wildly trying to
crush Valenthe the way they had crushed Scorch and I earlier, but it was to
little avail. She was simply too nimble for it and was able to quickly slip
out of it's grips. Taking heart, Kayleigh and I once again loosed a volley
from our bows in answer to it's screams.

Now there is a place that every good archer seeks, where the act of using
the bow ceases to be something one does and becomes something one is. A
place where there is no separation between the act and oneself, you become
the act of drawing the bow, notching the arrow, leading the target and
releasing the arrow. For a brief moment you become perfection. In our battle
with that monstrosity outside Nightfang Spire, I touched that place twice
briefly and my arrows gave testament to the results of doing so. At that
moment I felt as close to peace as I have since Ravenna betrayed me and
those last two arrows ripped through that thing like it was a paper practice
target, finally bringing it down.

Even as it crashed down upon the unfortunate Jozan and Dravot, it's dying curse rang in our minds. For we had defeated only Nightfang Spire's guardian, not its master who still awaited us within. Valenthe ever eager to stick her head in the noose, decided to explore the roof of the tower and quickly discovered the corpse of a black dragon that had smashed through the roof. No doubt it had perished in battle with that Thing we had faced outside. Meanwhile we were being ferried up one at a time by Scorch in his copper dragon form. He does seem entirely too enamored of his new shape changing spell, I wouldn't be surprised if one day he forgot what his original form was.

Fortunately, when Valenthe discovered some undead poking through a pile of coins on the ruined roof, she retained enough sense to wait for Dravot to arrive. Once we had all gathered on the roof of the tower, Dravot called upon the power of his god and blasted the wights into dust. He's good at his job, but one does wish he would spend less time haranguing us about the glories of Pelor. Dravot's god is not a very suitable deity for one such as I. Vengeance has too strong a hold on my heart for me to serve one such as he. Hexor or Erythnul would fit me better if they weren't given to such, crude brutality or pointless slaughter. Slaughtering the weak or the helpless is distasteful to me and there is no glory or honor to be had in such actions. It is only in pitting oneself against those who can threaten you on equal terms, that the warrior finds his purpose. For there is nothing so glorious as to face a superior foe and triumph through skill and valor, riding on the knife's edge between life and death. It often seems that my comrades in arms do not grasp this essential truth, though Scorch seems to understand something of it in his driving lust for power.

Initial obstacles now cleared, there was some debate among us as to the wisdom of proceeding. As severe as the damage that Thing... had inflicted on us, Dravot's magics had largely restored us to health and Scorch had not lasted long enough in our previous battle to use up many of his spells. So we pressed on.

Valenthe as always lead the way into the tower. The battle between the dragon and that thing... had apparently ripped a hole in the roof which we used to gain entry. She initially sighted nothing and we commenced infiltrating into the tower. While the rest of us managed to enter silently, Dravot who is not noted for his grace and elegance managed to make enough noise to wake the dead. Who promptly attacked us as a result.

In moments we were surrounded as vampire spawn coalesced out of the mists that suddenly filled the rooms of the tower. Others came at us crawling along the ceiling like some demented cockroaches. Fortunately, they did not take us by surprise and we swung into action. Arrows sprang from mine and Kayleigh's bows, wreaking terrible damage on the spawn and forcing several back into their mist forms. Calling upon his god once again, Dravot attempted to destroy several of the spawn, but he achieved little else other than to force them to retreat. The tower was clearly protected against the energies he was channeling. At this point we had beaten off their initial rush and the remaining spawn had retreated to a nearby room. Preparing to assault the room, we split into two teams Scorch and I at one end where the wall had been crumbled and Kayleigh, Jozan and Dravot at the other. Scorch moved in to hurl a fireball into the room, which wreaked havoc on the spawn and shadow mastiffs they had summoned to aid them, it did not however kill all of them. More quickly than I could believe, one of the hounds came tearing out of the room charging straight for Scorch, even as the door blew out on the other side. Trailing fire and lunging for Scorch's throat, the shadow mastiff came up just short of ripping it out. I guess the gods didn't feel it was fair to nearly kill him twice in one day, as his mage armor had saved his neck almost literally. The bite of my arrows soon showed it the folly of exposing its self. The second group also moved into the room clearing the remaining shadow mastiff and vampire spawn.

Knowing we would have to destroy their resting places, lest the spawn continue to plague us. Dravot commenced his rituals to lay them permanently to rest. Unfortunately, he would accept no help save Jozan's, so the rest of us slouched around, jumping at shadows. Finally, hours later he finished his rituals and we cautiously proceeded into the next room. The stench of death hung heavy in that room, the floor was covered in bodies. We had stumbled into the food larder of the vampire spawn. I had not seen such a sight since Ravenna betrayed my family's castle to Iuz. To all of our surprise, there was one living being in that pile of corpses.

We had been told that there was a member of the silent brotherhood who was observing the Spire, but that contact had been lost with the observer several days before we left Greyhawk,. Somehow, she had survived weeks in captivity of the Vampire spawn, though she was very near death and would not survive much longer without the aid of magic to restore at least some of what she had lost. Having no immediate means of restoring her lost vitality, we decided to retreat to a location against the walls of the gorge. some two miles or so from the tower. Hopefully, far enough to discourage attack, though I had little hope that an even longer distance would suffice. There was little in the way of cover and less in the way of firewood. So Scorch summoned a fire elemental to melt a rock and provide some heat through the night.

That was about when the entertainment started. Dravot suddenly cast a spell, that imprisoned Verilunda. It had been obvious for sometime that Dravot was unhappy about Valenthe's shadow companion and that the mark his grandfather had placed upon him weighed heavily on his mind, but I didn't figure he'd do anything quite this stupid. Much as Valenthe had enjoyed teasing him, by flaunting her companion it was obvious she was no threat,. If Jozan couldn't detect any evil in her and someone like Valenthe had summoned her, she was unlikely to be a wolf in sheep's clothing. On the other hand, Verilunda had not earned her bones the way Meepo had. In the early days, I would have applauded anything that rid us of the little toe-rag. But at Drugeddon's forge, Meepo put his neck on the chopping block to try and rescue Scorch from the wolves, when he could easily have run away. One can ask no more of one's comrades in arms.

Needless to say Valenthe did not take to having her companion imprisoned very well. While Dravot debated hotly with Kayleigh about the merits of his actions, Valenthe acted. She disappeared into the shadows, reappearing behind Dravot with her knife in his back. I think it was at this point that it occurred to him that perhaps he had not chosen the wisest course of action. Having been on the receiving end of more than one dour lecture from him about morality and the light of Pelor, it was immensely gratifying to watch him put himself into an indefensible position. Unfortunately, as the entertainment was just getting rolling there was an interruption and self preservation trumped petty squabbleswhile everyone quickly readied themselves for battle.

We could hear a rhythmic ringing sound moving closer to us. Since our enemies were not typically in the habit of announcing their arrival, I figured that it was unlikely to be hostile. As the evening's entertainment had been ,canceled I decided to go greet our visitor. He turned out to be another of Dravot's order in the Church of Pelor, an even more dour and humorless one than Dravot. Fortunately, he decided to upbraid Dravot for his actions, rather than plague us with more preaching on the glories of Pelor. He had been sent by others of his church in Greyhawk who had been concerned over what he might do to rid himself of the mark, which tainted him with a touch of the undead. It was especially entertaining to watch the look on Dravot's face when Zara struck up a conversation with Verilunda after she initially surprised him. The look of shock as he watched a Shadowed of Pelor have a conversation with an undead Shadow was priceless.

Zad

First Post
The Heart of Nightfang Spire - Chapter 5 and 6

Chapter 5 - Some people never learn

Only with some good work, quick thinking, and luck did we not get turned into paste.

OOC Notes:

Experience this session is 3362 each. Loot proceeds are 2386 gp each, (this includes the deduction for the reduce scrolls and potions). The +2 bracers of armor are still to be dealt with.

This Week’s Adventure:

Scorch and Dravot arrived, also apparently invited for tea and we talked a bit while we waited to be shown in. Dravot of course had to fuss over my physical health. We discussed briefly the return to the Spire. I let them know that I was not ready to return, if I was to return, and requested them to wait another day. They both seemed to have tasks of their own to deal with and agreed to wait until the next day before debating a return.

Scorch was curiously holding and clucking over a new pendant around his neck with a small, dull, rather common stone. I surmised it had something to do with membership in the guild – seems he bought his way in and was quite pleased. Dravot also handed over two scrolls to Scorch – arcane versions of two enhancement spells. Scorch was of course suspicious as to why. Dravot said that by Scorch having them, the group was the better for it. Scorch was not quite satisfied at that answer but it made perfect sense to Dravot, and to me.

The maid came and escorted us into the garden. There we found Ariadne, near a table made of natural unworked stone. There were piles of similar unworked rock that served as chairs, and the whole scene had a natural feel I found comforting. The table was set with fine china from Verbobonk with tea and assorted light refreshments.

[OOC: At this point I had to wonder why you would call it “china” in a world where there was never a “china”. Perhaps they called it “Verbobonk” but found the name too clumsy.]

Ariadne was looking well, dressed in a white gown. She dismissed the maid, and locked the door to the garden behind her. Ariadne said “Father insists that I maintain appearances in front of the servants.” With that, she shifted her shape, producing small horns, and a set of wings from her back. Her skin had the golden shimmer of scales. After changing she seemed relieved, commenting that maintaining human form is some effort for her.

With that we sat and talked. Scorch, oddly enough, waited until both Ariadne and I were seated before sitting. A strange display of manners from him. This however was not a formal occasion and we served ourselves with little fuss. I took my saucer from my cup and placed some milk in it for Rasha, who welcomed the treat.

Ariadne of course asked if I was well. She commented how difficult it can be after dying and it was clear from her statements that she had died and been raised herself. She was particularly concerned with the fear and said that it was difficult for her after coming back. For myself I did not so much consider it fear as perhaps despair, but she was close enough to strike a chord.

She wanted to give me something, but insisted I not tell her father. He would be cross with her, if he learned. She handed me a small silken pouch. Inside was a silver chain with a bright blue gem. She said “This periapt will grant you bravery in combat and protect you from fear.” She said it was given to her after her return for the same purpose and it was of great help, but that she no longer needs it as much as she did.

I thanked her for the gift, and for the thought behind it. I was concerned that she would put herself in a bad position with her father, but she smiled the smile only a daughter can, and said she could handle her father. He would just be a bit cross if he learned too soon. I told her I would be discreet and accepted the gift.

The rest of the tea passed quietly with idle conversation. Dravot and I had the good sense not to head into grizzly topics but Scorch had to get the eye once or twice to be reminded of what an appropriate topic was. Hardly surprising though. Rasha was generally well behaved, except wanting to slip off and chase the birds in the garden. I let him go since I’d kept him cooped up too long. I told him he could chase them but not actually hurt any of them, and let him go play.

After the tea, we finalized our arrangements between ourselves and went our separate ways. I returned to the moon tower, and got lost in my thoughts again. I was not looking forward to Aran’gel’s arrival – I hardly had enough time to adjust to this myself, and I had no idea how he would react. After a while, I fell back to sleep, with Rasha warm and purring on my lap. His concerns seemed to be easing which was good. Certainly my death, however temporary, couldn’t have been good on him either.

As I woke up, I was aware someone was already in the room. Whoever it was couldn’t have come in without Rasha noticing, and if they were dangerous, I’d already have known. I turned to see Aran’gel, sitting in a chair. Not moving, just watching me.

At this point, I wondered why I bothered trying to lock my door.

I had no idea what to say to him. All at once I was ashamed of myself for getting killed, ashamed of my empty words to him in his time of need (when I could not possibly have understood as I do now), ashamed as a student, and still feeling very lonely and afraid. I sat there, looking at him. And he stared back at me, nothing showing on his face. I had no idea if he was relieved or angry with me.

After some time in silence, I had enough, and spoke, trying to cover my fears. “Warden, do you make it a habit to slip into the rooms of sleeping ladies and watch them as they rest?”

He was about to answer that then stopped for a moment and thought. Then he said “Actually, yes a bit in my youth. But not as much any more.” Then he stopped again with that look of having said something he shouldn’t have.

I saw his sheepish look and suddenly started laughing. And he smiled as if it were the most wonderful thing he had ever heard.

After I stopped giggling he said “I was worried about you.” And saddened all I could answer with was “It seems you were right to be.” He asked if I was well, and when I said “I suppose I’m better than I was, and yet less than I was,” he just nodded.

“And!” I added with sudden memory “I had just figured out that cursed spell of yours, after weeks of working on it, thank you very much. But now the words won’t come and the magic won’t flow…”

And I slowly, by inches, lost myself. It started with a single tear and then a sob and then I was crying like a twenty year old. Before the first tear hit my blouse, he stood and had his arms around me. He more than most, didn’t just know what I was going through, but he understood. He may not have been dead, but he was near enough to it, and had the same loss for it.

And he sat me back down, and I cried.

And cried. And cried. He didn’t say a word, he just held me and let me sob into his shoulder. I had been trying to avoid this but I suppose I needed it. And while I would rather not have him see me like this, better him than most.

And after some time crying, I finally started to slow down. And still he just held me and let me feel safe.

Finally I sat back up, and got a handkerchief (not that I hadn’t cried plenty over his poor shirt). He looked at me and said “Do you want to tell me what happened?”

I thought about it and said “No. I’ve been repeating it to myself too much as it is. I can tell you this though – seems that I’m not a very good Champion after all.”

He gave me an unamused look. “I too made my mistakes, and paid for them dearly. And had I said that I was a poor champion, I know someone who would have taken me to task on it. And I’ll do no less here. Perhaps you made a mistake, as I did. Perhaps you were just unlucky. But you are here to tell the tale, and while you may be worse off for the experience, you are no less a Champion than you were before you sparked.”

“Pfft. I failed. There’s little more to it than that. I failed myself, my friends, my patron. I failed the Champions. I failed Celene. I failed my father. I failed you….”

And then I started crying all over again. And he held me again and let me cry.

After I sat up this time, I didn’t say a word. I had nothing else I could say, and I was worried I’d just start crying again.

He said “Yes, you’re a failure. Just like I am. I failed the Champions, I failed Highfolk, I failed my men.”

With a deep sigh, I gave him an exasperated look. We didn’t even need to follow the thread of that bit of logic. “Yes yes, I know. If you think I haven’t heard my own words to you over and over in my head, you’re quite mistaken. All the words I said to you after I rescued you are still quite clear to me, as is the irony of having them now apply to me.”

“Excellent! Then hopefully you won’t be wallowing in self pity as long as I was?”

I started smiling in spite of myself. “Oh no I should hope not. That would be wretched of me wouldn’t it?”

His reply came with a mock sneer “Very funny.” Which it was.

After a moment he asked “So what happens now?”

I shrugged. “There isn’t much choice really. As I told you those weeks ago – either I can hide from life and the world, or I can go on. If I choose to hide, then I may nearly as well have remained dead, as I would still be lost to those who knew me. But saying it and doing it are different matters.”

He nodded, all too aware of it. I decided to take us a different direction “So how are matters in Highfolk?”

He proceeded to tell me of the small matters there, and I was glad to be distracted with something other than my own troubles. I ordered some dinner while we talked and we chatted this way for some time.

I could tell he wanted to ask me more about the Spire, but did not. I think he was still worried for me, but not in a bad way. Actually it was sort of cute.

After dinner we shared a bottle of wine and continued to talk. He told me that his troops had discovered more saplings planted but now that they know what they are looking for, they have been very effective at finding and destroying them. I wonder what will happen to the gulthias horrors once Gulthias himself is destroyed… He also mentioned that a band of dwarves have moved north and, with permission, into the Glitterhame and are reconditioning it for active use. Apparently the Duregar have all left, as did the troglodytes. According to the dwarves, the orcs never returned.

Once the bottle was done and the fire dying, he said that he had to return this evening. Once he said it, it was apparent that he had already stayed with me longer than he should have. I didn’t realize until writing this that it never occurred to me to ask how he had gotten here so quickly, or how he was returning. We said our goodbyes and he went off into the night. I stood at the window watching the stars for a time after that. Only then did I realize I had never asked how he found out what had happened, or how he had gotten here so quickly. I went to bed and whether through the blessings of the Lady, or the blessings of the wine, I slept like a rock.

The good cry and the night’s rest had me feeling slightly better in the morning. The amulet from Ariadne also helped take much of the edge off my uneasiness, though I was careful to conceal it from Lord Gelban. The next morning Scorch and Dravot returned. I was dressed, prepared to return, if not exactly anxious.

Lord Gelban had additional resources for us to help with the Spire: Four scrolls of lesser restoration, a wand of cure light wounds (21 charges), something in a small pouch for Valanthe, and 20 enchanted arrows to split between myself and Rackhir. [+2 arrows] Scorch had also acquired several reduce potions and scrolls, as per my request. I had convinced them that we needed a change of strategy on the Spire, and that these would be essential for a different entry.

The problem was that we had entered the spire the same way for three days straight. Gulthias may think we had left, but I wasn’t counting on that. Surely he would have fortified that entryway. Therefore I wanted to enter through some other means. Scorch could dimension door into the tower but the weight was restricted. Therefore the shrinking action was needed to move the entire party at once. Of course, we knew the tower would prevent dimension door into “The Core” but didn’t know where exactly that covered. Therefore we would take a chance and hope. Rackhir was grousing about being so small but he was easily the heaviest among us and therefore the first person that needed to be reduced. The reduction would only last a few minutes anyway so I failed to see the worry.

We teleported back to the ruined city without incident, and returned to the canyon. Rather than assault the tower in the morning, we waited til just after noon. Again, we had been too predictable, and the vampire spawn were hardly limited by the time of day in this dark place. With a prayer for luck, we shrank Valanthe, Rackhir and Dravot, and Scorch attempted to dimension door us back into the room where I met my death. Nothing prevented it and we arrived safely.

Perhaps “safely” is too strong a term though. We did land amidst four wailing spectres. That would not be considered “safe” by most standards. However we were expecting trouble and moved quickly. I fired at one but the arrow passed through it. Scorch fired his missiles, while Dravot destroyed two of them outright. Rackhir’s arrow found purchase in the same one Scorch and I fired at, and Jozan stepped up and destroyed it.

[End surprise round]

I fired at the single remaining spectre, with only one arrow finding him. He decided however that fighting was not wise, and fled through the wall. The party quickly focused on a nearby door to pursue him, and after Valanthe quickly scanned the door, Rackhir charged in. Unfortunately beyond the door was a pit trap. Rackhir tumbled down the pit, past several sharp razors, and emerged outside the Spire. Fortunately these were the chutes we had spotted and tied ropes across, and Rackhir managed to catch his still shrunken self on the rope before plummeting hundreds of feet. Scorch changed into a large bird and flew down the chute to retrieve him.

I entered the room to watch for the returning spectre. However that was little worry. The spectre must have expected all of this, and emerged through the wall looking for Rackhir. Fortunately Scorch was able to grab Rackhir and bring him back up before the spectre could find them. But coming past the razors again injured Rackhir even further. The spectre pursued them up the chute into the waiting arms of the rest of the party, and we made short work of him.

We waited patiently while Valanthe disabled the trap, propping it open so we could perhaps re-enter the tower later this way (assuming nobody discovered our work). Then she carefully checked the doors in this hallway, expertly finding an electrical trap on one of them.

One door was most disturbing, covered in grotesque carvings and inscribed in draconic “Oggunn Sathaar is interred here – only fools pass this threshold”. We held that one for last and checked the other rooms, finding only empty rooms covered in debris. One had an altar inscribed with a gulthias shape on it like the floor tile but we didn’t investigate further. One room turned up a rather interesting dagger – a white iron blade in a crystal hilt, inscribed with the words “Pale Piercer”. Based on experience, we surmised that it was a weapon that would be effected against partially ethereal creatures like the spectres.

This left only the crypt of Oggunun Sathaar. Deciding that we were indeed fools, we opened the door. Inside were walls covered in rotted tapestries, and a floor covered in cracked yellow tiles. In the back, a five foot diameter iron pipe stood from the floor, sealed in a metallic valve that was carved like the outer door. None of us were of a mind to open that pipe and explore what might be inside, and we left it be.

We proceeded to search the rest of the floor. We found a variety of empty rooms, one holding stairs to the next level. We found a large tapestry depicting a red dragon attacking a city on the plane of fire – it seemed valuable but it was too big to bother with now. Valanthe also dug out a gold ring (non magical) from one pile of funerary wrappings.

Since there was nothing more on this level, we moved downward. In the room the stairs emerged we found nothing, to our relief. We could detect evil to the left and right, several sources, as well as an undead presence ahead to the right. We elected to move to the left, and then we could press forward from there. This turned out to be the most important decision of the day, and one which could have easily cost us our lives if we had chosen otherwise.

The next room was certainly a stone carving room. Broken pieces of stone and half formed statues lay about the room. Stone dust covered the area, and a workbench with common tools was on the back wall. Not that any of this was what first drew your eye.

The first thing one tended to notice would have been the two large, hairy, four-armed apes that were inside. Certainly they would notice you, as they did us. And they attacked, filling the doorway immediately.

Outside this chamber it was cramped and difficult to fight. However the room they were in was large and much better suited to our needs. Rackhir tried to charge into the room past them, and one of them bashed him for the effort, but Rackhir was now inside and had distracted them. I followed Rackhir’s lead and got myself into the room also, encouraging the rest to come too. Dravot cast a recitation while Scorch dropped a lightning bolt on one. Jozan attacked the injured one and killed it. The remaining beast bashed at Jozan and hurt him severly, but fortunately the first one was dead, and this one would soon follow.

Of course, that is unless his five friends show up. From behind the party, five more beasts came charging through the door. This was not good. The party began withdrawing into the stone room while Rackhir and I killed the one that remained inside with us. Dravot entered first, then Scorch. Valanthe and Jozan placed themselves on either side of the doorway to attack the beasts as they entered. As the first one entered, it ran right into Jozan and Valanthe’s blades, and was injured badly.

Rackhir finished that one off, while Dravot healed some of Rackhir’s fairly severe wounds. As another moved in, I fired three arrows into it, and it fell dead to.

The next one entered and smashed into Jozan. It nearly tore his arm out of the socket. How Jozan remained standing was a wonder. Scorch fired magic missiles into it, nearly killing it. Jozan started a swing that took him through the first one and into the next one stepping in. This one also tore at Jozan and hurt him even further.

Our killing pocket was working well but Jozan was at the point where one more attack could kill him. If we didn’t win soon, we wouldn’t be winning at all. Rackhir fired, and Dravot moved up and healed Jozan. This probably saved Jozan’s life. The one before us was larger, wearing a strange mask – we guessed later it was the alpha male. I fired and put one arrow in the chest, one in the throat, and one in the eye, and it fell over dead.

This left one more beast who plowed into the room heedless of the bodies of his fallen fellows. But he had little chance and quickly met the fate of the others. We looked at each other in shock and terror, amazed we had all survived. Dravot saw to the groups wounds lest more of these things appear. These were the source of the evil we had detected and there seemed to be no more on this level, just the single undead element we were detecting.

While Dravot tended to people, we looked at the wreckage in this room, and the one the other beasts came from. We found various rotted furniture and tapestries there too. Hidden away was a dirty pile of gold (430gp) a set of eight blue quartz gems (10gp ea) an empty sack, and a potion bottle. Scorch said the potion was one of Aid. The bag turned out to be a rust colored bag of tricks.

Once we had recovered our wits, we moved towards the undead presence. Inside a room were two huge metal cauldrons that filled much of the floor. The near one was empty but the far one had some type of swirling liquid that was the source of the undead aura. We weren’t sure if this was something like the seepage we had encountered upstairs. Dravot tried to turn it but the only effect was for something to rise out of the vat. It was some kind of hideous misshapen human, the flesh falling away from its body and a long probing tongue searching the air.

I stepped into the room and fired a shot. The beast moved up to the doorway with frightening speed. Jozan stepped up and let his full fury loose on this creature, and Shatterspike cut deep into it. Rackhir finished the job and the thing fell over dead.

It seemed that the liquid was only tanning fluid and that this beast was the source of the undead Dravot detected. We looked with disgust at the preserved organs in jars lining the wall, but found little else here. Indeed this entire floor held nothing else of interest, and we then looked to the issue of moving even lower in this wretched place.

EDIT

Ok I screwed up reposting the story and lost a chapter or two. So I'll add in chapter 6 here

Chapter 6

OOC Notes:

Experience was 8130 each. Um, ok that’s staggering.

Wizardru can you give us an idea if we’ll have a long or short downtime after this run (assuming we live through it)? We’re going to have a LOT of issues to settle.

Notes for Next Time:

Apparently we’ve graduated from “minor annoyance”. At least we rate enough to send someone after us in the night. This raises all kinds of questions, such as “How did they know where we were?” and so on. But it also means that we might need to assume that he can find us at will. And that we might not have any more quiet nights, although I don’t think we ever really counted on those.

This Week’s Adventure:

We took a quick look at our resources remaining and decided to press on, though carefully. We came down the stairs and into a room layered with dust, but still having seen much traffic. Against one wall was a large statue of a dragon in red marble. There was one door leading out of the room, and beyond Valanthe could hear grunts and screeches of what we thought were more of the gorilla beasts. Soon though their tone changed and they had clearly heard us. We braced for the assault, and didn’t have to wait long.

One beast smashed the door in and Jozan moved up to keep it from moving further in. Our hope was to create the same defensible position we had in the floor above. Scorch was unsure how many, beasts were lined up beyond the one we could see (it was so massive there was no seeing around it) but let a lightning bolt fly as our opening volley. Valanthe and Jozan both had taken small chunks out of this beast, and the lightning left it scarcely alive.

[New round]
I used one arrow to finish off the creature, who dropped still in the doorway. That left me a clear line of fire to one behind it and I opened fire on him. From the other side of the doorway, the alpha male charged into our room. No dumb beast this – it clearly wanted to get among us and was trying to dodge past our front lines to do so. It suffered the attacks from Jozan and Valanthe and towered over Rackhir ready to strike.

Rackhir was unfazed and let three easy arrows loose into the beast in front of him. The alpha felt the last one tear at his throat and also fell over dead.

This opened up Scorch’s line of fire, and in this case it was literal. He dropped a fireball down the open path into the room. Two of the remaining beasts died and a third one was badly burned. Jozan stepped in and finished it, as much for mercy as anything.

[OOC Note: these guys had a plan. They were on all out defense and trying to get right amongst us, and it almost worked. However even on total defense they were still not too hard to hit, and we managed to get them killed before we were overrun.]

The room of course was a giant mess due to the fireball. There were melted tools and body parts of what were likely humans. Nothing of value really but this was some other kind of bizarre workshop.

Out the door was a hallway and some doors. While Valanthe was scouting, some wights noticed her and burst out of one of the doors. We were surprised by this but shook it off quickly. I knew it was a useless effort but I fired at one wight and killed it before it. Rackhir maimed one, and Jozan killed another before the inevitable happened – Dravot had finally recovered his wits. He invoked Pelor’s light with enough force to turn the wights into nothing more than dust, and that was that.

[OOC Note: Basically we were all just killing time, and wights, until Dravot’s initiative came around, and then we knew it was going to be over. And it was.]

The room they came from had more glass jars with body parts in it. The spire grows more macabre floor by floor. There was some gold hidden in one jar that Valanthe uncovered.

We were being very diligent with our detection of evil and undead – it had saved our lives in the floor above and we felt it would continue to be important. There was a significant source of non-undead evil in one room, and I could detect strong magic in that room, and beyond. Behind one of the hallway doors a voice cried out in draconic “Is someone there? Free me!” Valanthe chose to answer it “Why should we free you?”

The reply came “Trapped I am by the wretched Gulthias. For a long time he abandoned me. I can tell you things of Gulthias. Surely you crave knowledge. Free me and I shall tell you all.”

The door itself was enchanted but not nearly so strong as that which was beyond – some type of trap no doubt. Valanthe set off the trap and after a few minor preparations, we open the door.

Dust obscured the designs of the cracked purple mosaic tiles that covered the room. In the center was a magic circle containing a horribly gaunt humanoid thing with a head more like a vulture’s with spiked feathers on the back of it’s head, and hands twisted into claws.

It said “Ah…you have come to talk to Rhuanad.” It was clearly an outsider but Scorch was unsure what type.

Scorch converses with the beast for some time. It’s some kind of demon, imprisoned here by Gulthias many years ago – before Gulthias died. It claims that if we free it, it will tell us what it knows of Gulthias, and then return to the abyss. Naturally this claim is met with some skepticism. However some of us were convinced that it would do as it said, even though it was an evil and untrustworthy being. The actions seemed enough in its best interest that it would likely follow through. We had a long discussion about whether to release it via the scales. Of course Jozan and Dravot were not in favor of releasing this monster, however Dravot was more tentative than Jozan. I was against it. While it claimed to know a great deal, I did not believe it would tell us very much of value, and the risk for releasing it was far too high for such minimal gain.

However the entire effort was soon rendered moot. Had we discussed it, and the majority felt the risk was worthwhile despite my objection, I would have acceded to that. But while we were still discussing it, Valanthe took it upon herself to release this evil thing.

I was in complete shock that she would do this on her own. Here, not days before, I pressed her case, arguing with Dravot for taking actions on his own and violating the trust of the group. And now she turns and does the same thing, acting without consideration for any of us. Valanthe has become more erratic of late – she has generally been willing to take risks without consideration, but lately she is taking risks not just for herself but for all of us. And that does not sit well with me in the least. I was upset at Dravot for his breach of trust, and now Valanthe commits an even bigger breach of trust, and one that could have cost us all our lives. As I sit and write this, I’m more and more troubled by the direction that our group has taken. We have never been particularly close, but we had always in past chosen to work together rather than against each other. But that has changed. Rackhir has allied himself with Chavram out of his hatred for Iuz. Valanthe recklessly pursues whatever she wishes at any given moment. And Dravot’s spirit hangs in a crisis of its own. I’m hopeful that Dravot will find his way from the darkness that clings to his soul, but for the rest, I cannot say. I wonder if we will be able to function as a group any more after this cursed Spire, or if we can even hold ourselves together long enough to complete our task.

In any case, I’ve resolved to hold myself out of any further exchanges between Valanthe and Verulinda, and Dravot. If Valanthe wishes to abandon support, then so be it.

The good side of this was that the demon did as he said – he told us what he knew. Gulthias is a powerful wizard. They slew themselves in a mass ritual to join Ashardalon after his death. But Ashardalon’s heart, harvested from the body after Ashardalon’s death at the hands of Didd, was filled with necromantic power. It brought Gulthias and the other followers back, though even Gulthias did not know this would happen. Once the Spire was a temple to Ashardalon, but now it is a mass tomb. The heart is not sentient but it is power, including the power to bring back the undead after destruction. This explains Gulthias’ seemingly unending stockpile of undead horrors.

The center of the tower – the core – is protected, as we already knew. The heart lies within the core with Gulthias and his followers. To enter the core we will need the four parts of the dragon key. The four parts are hidden in the catacombs below us. (There is one more level below us, then the catacombs.) The other way into the core is via the Gazeway – the carvings of the tree we have found in various areas. It allows Gulthias to see and some creatures can pass to and from the core via these carvings, as we have seen.

The catacombs also have the doorway leading to the core, and at the center will be Gulthias.
The demon also asks if we have encountered Aeoket, and Redbone. Redbone was the chief of the cult’s questioners. He does not know what kind of unlife Redbone has been touched by. There is also Mister Stitches – one of Ashardalon’s children, or what’s left of it.

Gulthias can be killed in the usual ways for a vampire but proximity to the heart gives him extra power. Many here are connected to the black heart, and it gives them more power, including resistance to turning or faster regeneration. Proximity to the heart will be bad for us however. We should be able to destroy the heart through conventional means or a more powerful cleric than we have. (Dravot bristled at this but it was hardly unexpected for an artifact of that power.) We will need to destroy the heart before we can destroy Gulthias.

After telling us all this, the demon cackled, no doubt thinking of the taste of our flesh. But true to its word, it disappeared, presumably back to the plane from whence it came.

We all signed with relief at that – I don’t think any of us were entirely sure it would depart as promised, so seeing it leave without tearing into our flesh was a welcome thing indeed.

As soon as it was gone, Valanthe began reporting on what was in the next room nearby – apparently she had been looking well before the conversation was finished. The room contained three flesh golems, including one with wings and a dragon-like appearance. This must be the magic I sensed earlier and I was glad I had checked – sensing no evil or undead, we had thought the area clear.

As we were placing ourselves to deal with these creatures, they must have heard us and began stirring. I had put myself opposite the door in preparation, and Valanthe opened the door to the room. Across the room I could see the draconic golem that she had told us of – most likely Mister Stitches. I let three arrows fly into it, which all connected easily. These beasts were immune to most magic according to Scorch, but they were not exactly quick.

Scorch began summoning some kind of animal to help in the fight, and Dravot pulled a bear out of the bag of tricks and hurled it on the floor, blocking the doorway and everyone’s line of fire. After a year together, I would have thought we would have known better than this.

However it was Mister Stitches that solved that problem. It moved up towards the door and then inhaled deeply and belched fire through the doorway at us. Most of us ducked aside and were only slightly singed, but the bear was turned into little more than a cinder.

Poor Mister Stitches. That was not the best thing he could have done for himself. The death of the bear meant that Rackhir now had a clear line of fire, and matched my arrows in Stiches’ hide. I suspected that the beast could not take much more of this punishment. One of the other flesh golems charged into the room just then bulling past our defenders.

[OOC Note: next round. Poor Mister Stitches. From the moment that Valanthe opened the door and I saw him across the room, I knew Mister Stitches would be my bitch. After the pounding it got from Rackhir and me, there couldn’t be much life left in him. It will vary with buffs and what not, but on average, Rackhir will do about 50 points if he hits will all three arrows, which he usually will, and for me to do 45ish. Our group is artillery-based.]

Valanthe swung at Mister Stitches but missed. I didn’t want any more fire coming from that beast, and fired at him again – this time the arrows tore even harder into the twisted form, and the beast unraveled before us and fell into pieces. Jozan attacked the golem before him, and Shatterspike ripped into the weak flesh, and that golem too fell apart. Then the animal Scorch was summoning appeared inside the other room and attacked the flesh golem that had yet to emerge. It ignored the beast and came into the room where we waited. Valanthe tore at it, then Jozan, then a single arrow from my bow was enough to put an end to that one also.

The room the golems were in was clearly a golem making laboratory. Some of the workbenches were wrecked but others were clean and neat. Various bits of wire, cable, stitches, bones, belts, preserved arms and legs, and so on were scattered around, and a large slab was in the middle of the room. We took some of the wire and cable in case it should prove useful later. The only object of any interest was a book contained in a locked workbench. It had some instructions on golem making but was incomplete apparently.

Having cleared out this floor, we decided we’d had enough, and departed. This time we exited through the disabled chute trap and again returned to the shattered city to rest.

In the early morning hours, Dravot and Valanthe woke us up. Two spectres were coming. (“Just two?” I thought to myself.) Still I rolled out of my blanket and grabbed my bow and fired an arrow into one. Dravot destroyed them then and we waited, wondering what else was in the darkness.

I just caught the barest trace of some noise nearby and knew we were not alone. With a quick spell I tried to reveal the intruder with dust, but he was not there. Just then a set of claws ripped at Jozan, still unseen. The attack staggered him, and drained some of his life force.

[OOC Note: Whatever this was, it was very very stealthy and probably under improved invisibility. Kayleigh has a very good spot check and barely caught it. The attack on Jozan was a death attack probably from an assassin. He made his saves vs that and the poison so wasn’t too bad off.]

I began searching around for the source of the attack, and then it was black. Darkness covered the area, magical no doubt. I was debating a light spell when Scorch used his Daylight spell to counter it, and normal light returned. There was no sign of the attacker.

I’m sure this was our first visit from Redbone. And I’m just as sure it won’t be the last. But why did he leave?

Last edited:

Zad

First Post
Heart of Nightfang Spire V – Dravot’s Journal

[ooc: I pretty much overglossed events in the spire, as Dravot's point of view wouldn't differ that much from Kayleigh's and I'm lazy that way. ]

We delayed our trip by a half a day in order to let Kayleigh meet with some people. Scorch and I were invited to a morning tea with Kayleigh and the Lady Ariadne. I find that I have spent way too much time in the field with my comrades; my sense of decorum is slipping and my mealtime manners were sadly lacking. I will make a greater effort in the future.

On the way to the tea, I stopped in at the wizard’s guild and picked up some new spells for Scorch. He greeted my gesture with great skepticism, which is hardly surprising. I told him that while I could cast these spells through divine grace, it would be handy for the group if he could cast them as well. This would spread out the workload a bit and allow us to use our resources in other ways. He seemed to accept this.

I was also able to pick up some useful books for my new library on the undead – five of them in all. Topics range from history of undead to facts about various types. I’m quite pleased at the new acquisitions, and I look forward to ferreting out new sources of information in the future.

After the tea, I went off to the Leadenhall Market to find Brontal’s shop. Through the dragon scale, Valanthe told me that she had heard through the grapevine that Brontal’s body showed up in the harbor a few days ago, but the condition of the body showed that he had been dead for some time. I inferred that he was dead before he ever made the brand for my arm. I find this deeply disturbing. I wondered what Prestwick would think when he learned of this turn of events, and whether he’d ever invite me to tea again.

I found the shop, but it was closed. A neighbor said that the guild, which owned the smithy had packed up and sold off Brontal’s belongings and sent the proceeds to his relatives in Verbobonk. I had hoped to find local family to express my condolences, but he had none in Greyhawk. I briefly considered going to the guildhall to find out about the disposition of Brontal’s body, but intuition told me that it would lead to a dead end.

Disheartened, I reported back to Gelban’s estate and we teleported back to the others. There we learned about the fantastic helm that the mummy Aotek had could teleport the user in the same fashion as Scorch’s spells. This explains how Valanthe was able to get information about Brontal for me…I had wondered, but she coyly declined to explain how.

We then headed back into the tower, encountering specters and evil, four armed gorilla creatures that hurt us pretty badly. With the blessings of Pelor, however, we prevailed. We then encountered a new form of undead that I had previously only heard of…a mohrg. We didn’t know what was in the room, just that something was in it, hiding in a vat of foul smelling liquid. I attempted to turn it, but my uncertainty must have been apparent, for all I did was draw it’s attention upon us. It was a fearsome creature, but we were in no mood for challenges from anything, alive or undead, and we dispatched it in seconds.

Zad

First Post
Dravot’s Journal: Heart of Nightfang Spire VI

Finally we are making progress in the Spire. We have found a rhythm and we are moving forward quite well, despite the horrors that Gulthias and the Spire have thrown at us.

Yesterday we encountered more of the foul girallons, wights, a demon, and 3 flesh golems - one of them half dragon! I find Valanthe's actions with the demon to be troubling however, and I told her as much during our watch together.

She was worried about how much time we were taking in deciding things, and she felt that he had answers we needed and that he would keep his part of the bargain. I asked her to tell me the next time she felt antsy like that, and that I’d do what I could to move things along in a way that would keep everyone happy.

Shortly thereafter we were alerted to spectres coming our way. We woke the others and prepared for them. I turned them with Pelor's will, destroying them utterly. I thought that would be it, but we sensed another presence in our midst. We tried to find it, and Kayleigh used a glitterdust arrow to find it, but we were unable to do so. It attacked Jozan, using poison and some sort of death attack while draining him of life essence at the same time. Jozan's will was strong though and he fought off the poison and the attack. I will take care of the draining shortly.

While I was praying and meditating for my spells for the day, I received a vision. For once it was not ominous and forboding. It has been a damp, chill morning, and the sun had not as of yet burned off the cloud cover and the dew. The familiar sounds of the camp rustling about surrounded me, as did the smells of breakfast.

I heard a young girl singing. As this was a ruined town, I was quite surprised. At that moment I realized that it was now bright and warm, and the sounds of the camp had vanished. I looked up and saw that the town was restored...the walls were strong and tall, the doors and shutters were in place, grass grew only in intended areas.

The only noise I could hear though, was the young girl's voice, though. It was as if the town were deserted, except for her and myself. I didn't see the girl, I figured that she must be around the corner. I did a quick sweep, searching for undead, and for evil, but found none. Somehow though, I felt comfortable and at ease.

Then the girl appeared. She was about 9 or 10 years old, and looked somewhat like my little sister, Stephania. I wondered how she was doing, and resolved to contact her and Thora at the next opportune moment. The girl was up on a wall surrounding a courtyard, dancing upon it as she sang, doing cartwheels and hand stands and the like. She had a grace and agility that reminded me of both Valanthe and Kayleigh at the same time.

The song she sang was quite pretty. I didn't know it. It was a ballad about a young lover wandering the forest searching for his sweetheart. I cleared my throat as a way of announcing my presence to the little girl. Unfortunately, I chose a poor time to do it, as she was starting a cartwheel, looked up, lost her balance and fell on the other side of the wall.

I was up and running across the road before she had a chance to cry out. Moving through the gate, I entered an inn courtyard, and I found the girl crumpled on the ground near the wall. She was clearly in pain, but was bearing it admirably. I introduced myself as a cleric of Pelor and asked if I could help her. She sniffled and nodded.

Her leg was broken. It was a clean break and would be easily fixed. I was about to cast a healing spell when I realized that I had no healing spells available. This was odd, as I had some left over from the day before in the Spire.

"I apologize, little one, for I have no healing majicks within me at the moment. I have my healing kit though, and I will set your leg and give you something to ease the pain, and then I will take you home. After that, I will be able to pray and receive the spells needed to help you." I cleared the hair from in front of her eyes. "What's your name?" I asked.

She sniffled again. "Michaela."

"That's a pretty name. I'm Dravot."

She bravely endured my ministrations as I put her leg back in place. The herbs I gave her to dull the pain helped, but her bravery was obvious.

"Where is your home? I will carry you there."

"Down the road near the creek. We live behind the temple of Pelor. My daddy is the grounds keeper."

Her accent had a flat, nasal quality to it, and she pronounced Pelor as 'Payler'. I cautiously scooped her up and carried her out of the courtyard and told her of my little sister.

The town was deserted, except for the two of us. I felt like I should be alarmed, but I was not. After a few minutes, we approached a creek on the outskirts of town. A few hundred yards to the left was a temple of Pelor with a few buildings around it.

We went to the house where she said that she lived, but it was quiet and empty, like the rest of the town. At that moment, I heard singing coming from the temple. It was a familiar song, one that I learned as a novitiate, when we began to learn the healing arts.

We went into the temple. It was small, but tidy and cozy, and seemed appropriate for the town. A woman was praying before an altar. She wore vestments of the priesthood, but the style was unfamiliar to me. She looked up.

Michaela spoke. "Hi Belline!" I almost stumbled when I heard the name.

"Hello, Michaela. What happened to you?" She had a twinkle in her eye, as if she already knew what had happened.

"I fell. This is Dravot. He tried to heal me, but has no spells."

I introduced myself as I gently set Michaela down. "Greetings, sister. I am Dravot d'Chandagnac, from Brindinford. I was about to heal Michaela here when I discovered that I had no healing spells for the day. Can you help?"

She smiled. "I would be glad to. Were you on the walls again, little one?"

Michaela blushed, and then nodded. I waited for Belline to cast a spell, but instead she got up and went to an altar. Upon the altar was a wooden box, not real big. She opened up the box and took out a chalice. It was beautiful. I found myself spellbound by it. She poured some water into the cup.

I managed to find my voice. "Um...are you...the Belline?" The Belline I was thinking of was renowned within church history and lore as a healer of tremendous power.

She smiled. "My name is Belline, yes. The Belline? I don't know. The name is fairly common in this area." She held the chalice in both hands and uttered a single word, 'auroraensis'.

At this point I knew she was being coy. "I always imagined you as being taller."

She smiled again. "Reputation always exceeds one's stature." She handed the chalice to Michaela, who drank down the contents. Within moments her leg was fine.

Belline dismissed her. "Now stay off the walls," she called as Michaela ran out of the temple.

With permission, I reached for the chalice and gazed upon it. It was made of some silver metal. Mithral at a guess. It had the sun of Pelor upon it, with nine rays eminating from the center. Three of the rays were red, three were blue and two were green. The last ray was also green, but dull and dark.

"This is beautiful. I've heard about it, but never seen it. There are a few of them within the church now. Named after you, you know."

"Aye. I am quite proud of it. It took quite a lot of work and investment of myself to make it."

Reluctantly I handed it back to her.

"Would you like one?" she then asked me?

I nearly fell off my seat. One does not just get a Chalice of Belline as a random gift, much less from Belline herself. "I, uh..."

She laughed. "I should have been clearer. Would you like to learn how to make one?"

I nodded. This made more sense. She got back up and went into another room. I expected her to come back with a tome or a scroll or something. She returned instead with a small pitcher of olive oil. She waved her hand over it and said a single word, 'mentasis'. She poured a drop upon her finger and touched it to my forehead. I steadied myself for a shock or a jolt, or to be knocked unconscious, as this is the way with such things. Instead I felt a warmth upon my head, which spread throughout my body. I pictured the chalice within my mind's eye, perfectly.

She saw my reaction and giggled. "Not all transfer magic is painful. You are not yet strong enough to make such an item, but that time is not far off. I have given you the ability to make other items as well. You will need to give up some of your life essence in order to make it. These are powerful majicks, and they come with a price. I know that you will use them wisely."

I wanted to stay and talk with her, but I knew that my time with her was over, and that I had to go. Next thing I knew, I was back in camp, with the rest of my companions, in the desolate ruins of the town.

I told everyone that I'd be back in a bit, and headed down the now familiar streets of the town. At the end of the road was a creek, and a few hundred yards to the left, was the remnants of some buildings.

I went inside the temple building. The dust in the place was fairly thick and undisturbed for centuries. I said a quick prayer and moved up to the altar. The basic layout was the same as in my vision. Upon the altar I found a small, wooden box bearing the symbol of Pelor. Though the altar was covered in dust and debris, but box was clean. It was the box that the chalice was in, from my vision. I opened it to find that it was empty. It was only when I closed it that I saw the symbol of House d'Chandagnac in the lower right hand corner, and the symbol of Belline in the upper right.

I put the box into my pack and reviewed the plans for the chalice as I headed back to others.

I must stop here. We have a busy day today.

Slowly, the cylinder rotated. It was a thing of dark brass and red iron. The curious device's surface was covered with inter-connected layers of metal, hinged and bolted, worked with strange, intricate designs. Clockwork gears could be heard from inside it, turning, turning, turning...

As it rotated, held aloft by some force unseen, the small window that showed it's inhabitant could be seen. Her soft face looked as if sleeping, so peaceful was her expression. Her raven black hair fell about her, some of it held taught in machinery, with little traces of some unknown energy racing up and down. Her eyes were closed.

"It vexes me, you know," came the voice. The pale servants said nothing, as was their way. They might pass for elves, in a poor light, at a distance. If one missed their too-sharp features, perhaps, or their ritual tatooing, or their flint-like skin...but few ever lived that long to see. They were used to the voice, and kept their counsel.

"She should be screaming. Terrified. Something. And yet...she remains calm. Silent. Mocking. It vexes me." The voice stated this periodically. It was of no moment to the servants. There would be more of the human cattle to slaughter soon, or press into work. They knew little of the way of stone or of the crafting. Let the machine have them.

The cylinder rotated, again offering a view of the woman. A series of clangs, clicks and whirrs indicated the arrival of the Cuckoo. It began to play a series of pipes, creating an otherworldly music. The servants listened attentively. The strange song lasted several minutes, changing pitch and pace more than once. When the room fell silent, the voice returned.

"So, this Chavram seeks to place himself in my way, does he? He will find I am not unprepared for such an eventuality. Prepare the cylinder for movement, and dispatch a shul'kar to the Gate of Gears. I will need to travel to Mechanus to enlist....reinforcements. I have made arrangements."

"I went to a great deal of trouble to secure my work...I won't see it jeapordized at this late stage. Double the work shifts for next twelve hours...I want more units produced. Preparation....it all comes down to preparation."

The voice lapsed into silence once more. The pale servants knew their roles, and departed. The Cuckoo remained, but it began to sing a different song, much deeper and more somber, like a funeral dirge.

The voice merely laughed.
--------------------------------------

Just a brief background on Ralishaz...
Ralishaz (Chaotic Neutral)

The Unlooked For, lesser power of chance, ill-luck, and unexpected misfortunes is also the patron Power of gamblers and those who take unusual risks. Most often, Ralishaz will not reward the latter, but if he does, the rewards may be great indeed.

Victims of misfortune may try to placate Ralishaz; gamblers invoke him; those in peril beseech him; those planning speculative, high-risk adventures will make offerings to him.

Most suspect that Ralishaz originated with the Flannae pantheon, but no
group of people wishes to acknowledge kinship with him. He is recognized, if
not worshipped, in most civilized areas, and frequently invoked as a ward
against ill-fortune.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases