game ideas I am working on - BUGhunters

Karl Green

First Post
See below as I made a new post to bump this thread. Below are some of my first thoughts, but I still want to talk a bit about Bughunters...

OK I have two (well three) game ideas that I am going to work on while I am off visiting the in-laws. I have about a month to work on these so I might have some good ones. Anyway one of these I will start up when I get back (unless something else gets a bug in my and I change my mind 100%). The ideas that I have right now are…

1. D20Modern/Future: Bughunters pretty straight forward based on the old Amazing Engines game system and update with D20F. Players will all be Synthic Clone Humans ("synners"), start at 2nd level and be from one of the following MSO branches: NCO, Rifleman, Field Medic, Electronic/Communications Expert, Demolitions/Heavy Weapon Experts, and Sniper/Scout. 1st level will be from the clone/donor background with your base Occupation. The MSO are basically separate Occupations. All will include basic Armor and Weapon Proficiencies. Weapons will be advanced 'charge' caseless firearms with some early lasers (mostly found in sniper weapons or Zero-G combat situations). Anyway still working it out, but the basic background will be that the group is a newly formed UT Force that is being set out with a colony ship to a new terra like planet, to protect the 'norms' in cryo-sleep and to help them set up their colony when the get there (there are about 50,000 colonist on the ship plus about 1,000 on site that were sent to start setting up habitation etc). There have been some early reports of problems, but nothing the group should not be able to handle. The characters squad (8 marine synners, plus four aerospace sinner ship personal and one NPC human lieutenant) is pretty much the only military group on planet and reinforcements are months away. I have the character stuff pretty well figure out, just have to design the campaign story and work out some of the 'aliens' and other problems that will be encountered.

2. D20Modern/DragonStar/Eberron/Stargate freaky mixed up game. While I like the idea of Stargate a lot I want to totally change the idea…instead of the System lords' stuff with tech that looks like magic, I want magic. Also I like the ideas of the Dragon being the big bad. So there has been one group so far that has gone through the Stargate to a planet, fought a minor Black Dragon lord and his minions, and destroyed him. The thought was that the gate was to just one other planet, and with the gate destroyed on that side they figure that was the end of the project, so they mothballed it and closed up shop. There was still a base on top of course, mostly R&D and military planning now though. Also they notices something 'strange' happening around the base and with some of the personal; somehow opening the gate allowed some 'magical' energy to escape back to Earth (mostly with some of the magical feats from Urban Arcane like Divine or Magical Heritage, etc. I might also allow someone to take a level or two in Occultism). Then a short while ago, the gate was opened again and a starkly beautiful, yet very pale woman dressed in chain like armor opened the gate. With her minions (who looked like polar bear men, carrying huge crossbows and axes) they raided throughout the base, someone passing through doors and between floors as if teleporting or something between the areas. The woman coldly killed a number of personal (freezing some in place where they stood) and captured others. They then returned through the Stargate. The characters all start out as Humans working for a newly (emergency) formed SGC group from all branches of the service (Air Force is in command but other branches can contribute; from the various Special Forces). One of the scientist (who has a touch of the magic) has figured out how to open the Stargate to other planet where the raiders came from, and SGC wants to send a rescue mission to see if they can find those personal kidnapped by the 'lady in white'. If anyone wants to play a non-human, I may allow one, but they will have to start later; joining the group after they arrive through the gate. Not to give to much away about what the world like on the other side is, but I am thinking of a strange twist between the DragonStar campaign stuff AND Eberron (I really like the ideas of the Warforged instead of the SoulMech, and a mix of the astriocorps and DragonMark merchant houses. Also, while the Dragons have not formed an empire as such, they control different parts of space and form their own smaller empires that have a shaky peace between them). Instead of tech, most everything is magical based. Some primitive firearms have formed, but the are magically based weapons (mostly some ideas out of Arsenal from Perpetrated Press. I am not using all of those guns but some of them, slightly modified). Spellware and other magic will also exist. Starships, etc may or may not exist. Anyway, still working on this one, but a couple other things are sure…while I have Stargate SG1 RPG, I am not overly happy with it, so I am going to use D20 Modern. Now I might use the DR for AC like Unearthed Arcana talked about, but that might be my only rule change (just cause I like that idea more). Character classes will be from D20Modern though. For the one person who comes from 'off-world' I might allow some Feats from Eberron (like the DragonMark, etc). I liked the idea that I saw for the other Stargate game that started here a while back; giving different points for Attributes based on the level of the character. Something between 2nd and 6th level characters. The higher the character level, the lower the attribute points. Of course, if someone was to play a non-human with a higher EL, that would affect these points also (not 100% yet what I am going to set the levels at). One character should be the commander, at level 5th level, with a level or two in Soldier. One character might also be a Scientist type, going along for research and to make sure the team can get back. The rest will be a mix of military types, designed however the characters what to do it.

3. Eberron campaign. But I am running a lot of fantasy right now so unless it is the strange mix that I talked about above I am not so sure about this one, but I do really like this world.

Anyway just some random thoughts on my part. As I flesh it out I will post more. I will not be running any of them until next month mind you. Just wonder if there is any interest, random thoughts, curses, etc

Last edited:

Karl Green

First Post
:) no problem I will be starting up both my Freeport and Greyhawk games when I get back, already have ideas where they are going... I also just want to do something more Modern ;)

ferretguy

First Post
Hey Karl, looking forward to playing in a freeport game. Seems that any d20 modern I get into falls apart. (along with a Conan game that started off with a bang...drat)

Karl Green

First Post
Ya I was sorry the Conan game died, it was cool. Anyway I will start up for the Freeport game next month when I get back to the States (I am in the Philippines right now).

I have been working on all my games. I am really serious about getting the Freeport and Greyhawk games going again AND I will be ready to start both the D20Modern/D&D2.5: Stargate/Dragonstar and D20Future: Bughunters games going. Got lots of ideas. Next week I will post the character creation rules for both games here ;)

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Karl Green said:
AND I will be ready to start both the D20Modern/D&D2.5: Stargate/Dragonstar and D20Future: Bughunters games going. Got lots of ideas. Next week I will post the character creation rules for both games here ;)

I'm interested in the Modern/stargate game, and kinda interested in the B.P.R.D. game, but I'm guessing that one is mothballed? :)

Keia

Karl Green

First Post
I still might run the BPRD game again... I have been thinking about it some while here. It is on my list :) just to many things I am super interested in... BUT I will try and start that one up again also as I thought it was pretty fun

Karl Green

First Post
OK so it looks like I am going to run the Stargate/Dragonstar game. Now my last game idea... BUGHUNTERS.

I have been working out a lot of different stuff for this, playing around with D20 Future etc. and then I got a weird idea the other day "what if I used some upgraded Moreau's instead of Synthic Cloned humans?"

So I was wondering first off if anyone might be interested in either. I still have a lot of work to do, playing around with the setting BUT I really like the setting for the Bughunters, and I think it could be pretty fun.

If anyone would be interested in this, would you be more interested in it with Super-Soldier Human Clones or Moreau's? Any interest at all? Just wondering ;)

Remove ads