PC design help please, feats / skills ???

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
Hi all, I need some help with choosing feats. I am making a PC who is modeled (roughly) after Li Mu Bai (from Crouching tiger, hidden dragon) with bits of Samurai Jack and maybe even Dak’kon (from Planescape Torment).

I want a guy whose mind is always focused and whose fighting style is always controlled, never wild. So, I have really fallen in love with the idea of a Paladin 5 / Kensei X.

So, this guy is 1st level, human, and 32 point buy. Here is what I’m thinking…

Sir Bherad the pure, Human Paladin 1,
Str 15
Dex 14
Con 14
Int 14
Wis 10
Cha 12

Skills (4 ranks each) Concentration, Diplomacy, Heal, Ride, Sense Motive
Hp = 12, AC = 16 (scale mail)
Feats = Weapon Focus Greatsword, Combat expertise

Ok, so the feats are bothering me. I just can’t find anything I like. I need weapon focus and combat expertise for Kensei, but that leaves me with one more before I take Kensei.

At 6th level, I’ll probably take Leadership, and maybe improved critical at 9th. But, then again, I can just make a keep weapon as a kensei. In total, I am planning to play this guy up to about 12th level or so (I’m moving in two years). That is a total of 6 feats.

Also, that is 7 levels of Kensei, so what kind of enchantments should I make? I’m thinking Holy or Lawful would be good.

Finally, skills, Ride will go to 5 ranks at 2nd level and stay there, so will Heal. So what should I put these ranks into (I’ll have two extras each level).

So, I need some help. I’m not looking for power here, I’m looking for something to match the flavor of the PC. That of a very lawful, controlled, no sense of humor type of warrior who is appalled at the injustice he sees in the world and has set out to do as much good as possible.

Thanks for the help in advance

-Tatsu

P.S> Allowed sources are the PHB, DMG, and Complete Warrior with DM approval (He already approved Kensei)

hero4hire

Explorer
Why the low cha? Most paladin abilities are derived from a high cha. Some really nice feats are cha based are good for paladins as well.

That being said "Ancestral Weapon" might be a nice feat for such a character to take. Like Samurai Jack.

Getting the feat "Wild Talent" so you can take psionic feats like "Up the Walls" and "Mental Leap" could go with that Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon feel.

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
Where is Wild talent? I, and my DM, are leary of Psionics in geneal, but I'll take a look at it.

The low CHA is because I don't plan on going past 5th level with Paladan, and don't care about the spells (I will use a wand once in a while, but don't have the points for wisdom).

The only thing a CHA of 12 would get me is the lay on hands (5 points a day), and +1 to saves, I can live without those.

Last edited:

hero4hire

Explorer
Expanded Psionics Handbook. It essentially allows your character to be latently Psionic and take those nifty Psionic Feats I mentioned that are in the same book.

Leary of Psionics? Thats ok...Think of it as Ki or Chi. ;) Your character wouldnt be reading minds or psi-blasting people but could end up doing some neat "Matrix-like" effects.

Tatsukun

Danjin Masutaa
Oh, well the only books allowed are the PHB, DMG, and Complete Warrior with DM approval.

Thanks for the idea though

-T

Spatula

Explorer
Wild Talent is from (surprise!) the Expanded Psionics Handbook. It wouldn't do much for your character, except allow him to take psionic feats. Psionic feats could be used to enhance your weapon damage, give you bonuses to Jump checks, increase your speed, allow you to spend part of your movement on a vertical surface, charge in a jagged line, and some other stuff. However, your character is looking pretty feat-poor, so taking a feat that only qualifies you for other feats may not be very useful.

Skills: tumble and/or jump, diplomacy, bluff (for feinting in combat), sense motive, spot, listen.

hero4hire

Explorer
Tatsukun said:
Oh, well the only books allowed are the PHB, DMG, and Complete Warrior with DM approval.

Thanks for the idea though

-T

Bah...DMs are a cowardly suspicious lot...
But they are also subject to cajoling, nagging, badgering, flattery and of course bribery! ;)

You never know what you can "get away with" once you get a good concept and present it well.

noeuphoria

First Post
That's cool, but when I think of Li Mui Bai, I would gravitate more towards Fighter 1/Monk X/Kensai X. Monk because he uses no armor, moves gracefully, and is good in hand to hand combat. Monks also use 'ki' a lot. Fighter obviously because he can use any weapon well.

Darklone

Duelist. Swashbuckler. Monk. Then Kensai. That's how I would do it.

And get a bastard sword/katana. Later Exotic Weapon Master :D

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Darklone said:
And get a bastard sword/katana. Later Exotic Weapon Master :D
I'm not sure how relevant this is to the PC in question, but the Green Destiny was no bastard sword or katana. It was a longsword.

I patterned a PC after Li Mu Bai myself. I went with PsyWar, picking feats such as Speed of Thought and Up The Walls. That, combined with Inertial Armor, worked like a charm. That was 3.0 though. I'm not sure how well the 3.5 Psionic rules would work.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases