Middle earth D20 Conversion

tompetruc

First Post
I worked on some different Me d20 conversion since 2002 and the last one seems good (it's not ended, anyway). Excuse my grammar if it isn't good (I'm Italian and young).
My conversion is much based one the ones found in this site (mainly Wolfspider's one). I did the races: Elves (silvan, sindar and falathrim, noldor), dwarves, men (common, dunedain and wild) and hobbits.
MEN

Common men
Common men racial traits:
• Medium
• Man base land speed is 30 feet.
• 1 extra feat at 1st level.
• 4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.
• Culture bonus (optional).
• Automatic Language: Westron and possibly a culture language.

Dunedain
Dunedain racial traits:
• +2 Charisma.
• Medium
• 4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.
• Automatic Language: Adunaic and Westron.

Wild men (Druedain and Lossoth)
Wild men racial traits:
• +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma.
• Medium
• Low-Light Vision
• Primitive: wild men never start with the feat Martial Weapon Proficiency (except in bows) and Armor Proficiency (light, medium and heavy). Wild men always suffer armor check penalties to attack rolls and skills which require movement. The penalties are doubled if they don’t have the feat.
• Scent.
• Druedain have a +2 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks.
• Lossoth receive the Endurance bonus feat.
• Automatic Language: Westron and possibly a culture language.

ELVES
Noldor
Noldor racial traits:
• +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom, +4 Charisma.
• Medium
• Elves base land speed is 30 feet.
• Immunity to sleep effects and fear created by undead.
• Low-Light Vision
• Light of Aman: Noldor can see and interact with creatures of the Spirit World (ethereal plane).
• +2 racial bonus on saving throws against bad weather.
• +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search and Spot.
• +2 racial bonus on Handle Animal and Ride checks.
• +4 racial bonus on three skills chosen among Knowledge (any one), Craft (any one) or Appraise.
• Automatic Languages: Quenya, Sindarin and Westron.
• Level Adjustment: +3.

Sindar and Falathrim
Sindar and Falathrim racial traits:
• +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom, +2 Charisma.
• Medium
• Low-Light Vision
• Sindar receive a +4 racial bonus on Perform (sing) and Knowledge (nature) checks and +2 bonus on Survival checks.
• Falathrim receive a +4 racial bonus on Craft (shipwright) and Profession (mariner) checks and +2 bonus on Swim checks.
• Automatic Languages: Silvan, Sindarin and Westron.
• Level Adjustment: +2.

Silvan elves
Silvan elves racial traits:
• +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom.
• Medium
• Low-Light Vision
• +2 racial bonus on Survival, Knowledge (nature) and Perform (sing) checks.
• Automatic Languages: Silvan, Sindarin and Westron.
• Level Adjustment: +1.

DWARVES
Dwarven racial traits:
• +2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma.
• Medium
• Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
• Stonecunning: This ability grants a dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
• Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves may treat dwarven waraxes as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.
• Stability: A dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
• +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
• +2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects.
• +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against orcs.
• +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to stone or metal items.
• +2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or metal.
• -2 racial bonus on Handle Animal and Ride checks.
• Bonus feat: Endurance.
• Automatic Languages: Khuzdul and Westron.
• Level Adjustment: +1.

HOBBIT
Hobbit racial traits:
• +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, –2 Strength.
• Small: As a Small creature, a hobbit gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
• Hobbit base land speed is 20 feet.
• +2 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks.
• +1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
• +1 racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons and slings.
• +2 racial bonus on Listen checks.
• Automatic Languages: Westron.

Culture bonus: culture skills are always class skills and if they are also because of 1st level class, you receive a +1 culture bonus. Dunedain have Knowledge and Heal, Beornings Survival and Handle Animal and so on.

The classes are: fighter, rogue and barbarian (PHB), loremaster, magician, conjurer, noble (new), maybe bard (but changed) and scout/woodman.
The conjurer can be of any race, the magician only Dunedain or Elf, but it's more powerful. I would give Lore (as bardic knowledge) to this two, as to the loremaster (who will also receive skill focus, skill mastery and a bonus to some skills' max ranks).
I'm working on the scout/woodman, but I don't have Wheel of Time. Has somebody got some ideas on how to make that class?
And also on some "talents" as in Arcana Unhearted, some feats which represent innate abilities and which must be taken at 1st level? I would like to have a list of them.

tompetruc

First Post
Here is the Noble class I've made.

Noble
Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d8.
Class Skills: The noble’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (all skills taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language, Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Survival (Wis). See Chapter 4: Skills for skill descriptions.
Skill Points at 1st Level: (6 + Int modifier) x4. Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier.
Lvl BAB Fort Refl Will Special
1 +0 +0 +0 +2 Bonus class skill
2 +1 +0 +0 +3 Inspire confidence (1/day)
3 +2 +1 +1 +3
4 +3 +1 +1 +4 Leadership bonus feat
5 +3 +1 +1 +4 Inspire confidence (2/day)
6 +4 +2 +2 +5
7 +5 +2 +2 +5
8 +6/+1 +2 +2 +6 Leadership score bonus
9 +6/+1 +3 +3 +6 Inspire confidence (3/day), Inspire greatness (1 ally)
10 +7/+2 +3 +3 +7 Landlord
11 +8/+3 +3 +3 +7
12 +9/+4 +4 +4 +8 Leadership score bonus, Inspire greatness (2 allies)
13 +9/+4 +4 +4 +8 Inspire confidence (4/day)
14 +10/+5 +4 +4 +9
15 +11/+6 /+1 +5 +5 +9 Inspire greatness (3 allies)
16 +12/+7 /+2 +5 +5 +10 Leadership score bonus
17 +12/+7 /+2 +5 +5 +10 Inspire confidence (5day)
18 +13/+8 /+3 +6 +6 +11 Inspire greatness (4 allies)
19 +14/+9 /+4 +6 +6 +11
20 +15/+10/+5 +6 +6 +12 Leadership score bonus

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the noble.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Nobles are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all types of armor (light, medium, and heavy), and with shields (except tower shields).
Bonus class skill: At 1st level, a noble may designate any one cross-class skill as a class skill.
Inspire Confidence: Beginning at 2nd level a noble can inspire confidence in allies. The ally must listen to and observe the noble for a full round for the inspiration to take hold. The effects last for 5 rounds. The noble can inspire a number of allies, equal to half his noble levels, rounded up. An ally inspired with confidence gains a +2 morale bonus on saving throws and a +1 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls. The noble can’t inspire confidence in himself. The ability only aids his allies.
Leadership bonus feat: At 4th level the noble gets Leadership as a bonus feat. If he has it already he has a +1 bonus on his Leadership score.
Leadership score bonus: Beginning at 8th level, everytime the noble takes this ability he has +1 to his leadership score.
Inspire Greatness: Beginning at 9th level, a noble can inspire greatness in an ally, granting extra fighting capability. This works similar to inspire confidence, excepts it affects but a single ally. An ally inspired with greatness gains +2d6 temporary hit points, a +2 competence bonus on attacks, and a +2 moral bonus on saving throws. The effect lasts for 5 rounds. The noble can inspire greatness once per day. For every three levels beyond 11th, the noble can inspire greatness in one additional ally. The noble can’t inspire greatness in himself. The ability only aids his allies.
Landlord: at 10th level or later the noble receives some lands, or funds to build a castle or stronghold (at DM’s discreption).

And this is my version of the loremaster.

Loremaster
Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d6.
Class Skills: any 10 chosen at 1st level, plus Decipher Script (Int) and Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int).See Chapter 4: Skills for skill descriptions.
Skill Points at 1st Level: (8 + Int modifier) x4. Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 8 + Int modifier.
Lvl BAB Fort Refl Will Special
1 +0 +0 +0 +2 Lore
2 +1 +0 +0 +3 Skill Focus
3 +1 +1 +1 +3 Expert Skill +1
4 +2 +1 +1 +4
5 +2 +1 +1 +4 Skill Mastery
6 +3 +2 +2 +5
7 +3 +2 +2 +5
8 +4 +2 +2 +6 Expert Skill +2
9 +4 +3 +3 +6 Skill Focus
10 +5 +3 +3 +7
11 +5 +3 +3 +7
12 +6/+1 +4 +4 +8 Skill Mastery
13 +6/+1 +4 +4 +8 Expert Skill +3
14 +7/+2 +4 +4 +9
15 +7/+2 +5 +5 +9
16 +8/+3 +5 +5 +10 Skill Focus
17 +8/+3 +5 +5 +10
18 +9/+4 +6 +6 +11 Expert Skill +4
19 +9/+4 +6 +6 +11 Skill Mastery
20 +10/+5 +6 +6 +12

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the loremaster.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Loremasters are proficient with all simple weapons. They are not proficient with any type of armor or shield.
Lore: A loremaster may make a special lore check with a bonus equal to his loremaster level + his Intelligence modifier to see whether he knows some relevant information about local notable people, legendary items, or noteworthy places. (If the loremaster has 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (history), he gains a +2 bonus on this check.)
A successful lore check will not reveal the powers of a magic item but may give a hint as to its general function. A loremaster may not take 10 or take 20 on this check; this sort of knowledge is essentially random.

DC Type of Knowledge
10 Common, known by at least a substantial minority drinking; common legends of the local population.
20 Uncommon but available, known by only a few people legends.
25 Obscure, known by few, hard to come by.
30 Extremely obscure, known by very few, possibly forgotten by most who once knew it, possibly known only by those who don’t understand the significance of the knowledge.

Skill Focus: The loremaster gains the Skill Focus bonus feat in one of his class skills.
Expert Skill: when the loremaster gaines this ability he chooses a number of skills equal to his Intelligence modifier. His maximum number of ranks in those skills is 1 rank higer than normal, or more (+2, +3 or +4) at higer levels.
Skill Mastery: The loremaster becomes so certain in the use of certain skills that she can use them reliably even under adverse conditions.
Everytime she gaines this ability, she selects two skills. When making a skill check with one of these skills, she may take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent her from doing so.

Turanil

First Post
I have worked with someone (forgot the name) on a ME d20 conversion on this same forum a few months ago.

My work was about classes, based on the idea there is no magic-users PCs in ME (after all, Gandalf is an exceptionnal character, a Maiar, not anybody, and doesn't cast typical D&D spells such as fireball or teleport). Hence I made a conversion of the d20 Modern classes and added a bunch of prestige classes (including archer, ranger, etc.). This work is not finished, especially when it comes to fluff text. The d20 modern classes will probably be replaced by those of Grim Tales.

Anyway, if you are interested in getting a look, tell me.

Baronovan

First Post
I've done a lot so far

Hey everyone.

I've gotten a lot of work done insofar as translating the characters from both The Silmarillion as well as Lord of the Rings.

I'm not sure how many people visit Dicefreaks, but that's where I've posted all my work.

Currently, I'm just now finishing my work on the Fellowship. I've gotten everyone statted out save Gandalf himself. Aragorn has levels in a PrC I've written but haven't published "on board", so to speak. As of right now, I have plans to finish the work before releasing any more of it. This is primarily because, every once in a while, I find an error or an inconsistency and I dislike having to make edits to well nigh over 40 builds. I'd rather edit htings on MSWord at home than have to go page for page on a bulleting board thread somwhere.

I could post a few of the things I've gotten done here, but I woulnd't want to flood the site. ;)

Well, if I get any feedback, I'll be sure to post some material. If not, I can always try at that d20 Conversion page...

Last edited:

ecliptic

First Post
My work was about classes, based on the idea there is no magic-users PCs in ME (after all, Gandalf is an exceptionnal character, a Maiar, not anybody, and doesn't cast typical D&D spells such as fireball or teleport). Hence I made a conversion of the d20 Modern classes and added a bunch of prestige classes (including archer, ranger, etc.). This work is not finished, especially when it comes to fluff text. The d20 modern classes will probably be replaced by those of Grim Tales.

Well there are normal humans and elves that use magic in Middle Earth.

Baronovan

First Post
Well, I've already finalized all the work on the races. This was a necessity in getting to the next installments in this grand expenditure of my free time. :)

Anyway, here's the New Races.
The second section (detailing adventuring in Middle-earth) is projected for a week or two from now. I have to make all the example PrCs and solidify a few more feats, then it's on to the actual Lords of the Eldar.
As I said on the site and on Dicefreaks, any comments or critiques or editorial proposals are more than welcome. Being a side-project and being the only one really working on thi, it can be easy to miss mistakes and such. So, lemme know what you think.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases