New base class needs comments and better name

brehobit

Explorer
Hi folks, I've got a new base class I'm currently calling a Priest-mage (pdf file). I'd appreciate any feedback. My basic goal was to make a cleric-type who was not a secondary fighter, but rather more of a pure spell caster.

I think the class is a bit weak, especially at lower levels. I'm thinking of adding turning, or maybe something else to the class. I think it is quite powerful at higher levels, maybe too powerful.

And finally, it really needs a better name. A much better name.

brehobit said:
Hi folks, I've got a new base class I'm currently calling a Priest-mage (pdf file). I'd appreciate any feedback. My basic goal was to make a cleric-type who was not a secondary fighter, but rather more of a pure spell caster.

I think the class is a bit weak, especially at lower levels. I'm thinking of adding turning, or maybe something else to the class. I think it is quite powerful at higher levels, maybe too powerful.

And finally, it really needs a better name. A much better name.
How about friar.

Arkhandus

First Post
Innate Metamagic and Improved Metamagic confuse me. The descriptions are meager and inadequate, to where I can't really tell what they're supposed to do.

The class may be a bit weaker than the core Cleric, but it's certainly more powerful than the core Wizard. Don't know why it suffers arcane spell failure though. Divine casters in D&D are more powerful than arcane casters because of their lack of spell failure from armor/shields, and because they tend to have more power in general anyway; the only thing making the core Cleric balanced against the core Wizard is that the core Cleric has few destructive spells, even fewer efficient destructive spells, and a lack of versatility in their spells (they're limited to mostly divinatory, buffing, healing, defense, undead-oriented, and alignment-oriented spells, with a few spells of smiting and such). So, basically, I think your variant is fine by comparison as long as you clarify Innate Metamagic and Improved Metamagic, and as long as those aren't overpowered then.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I'm not sure how dedicated you are to making a homebrew class, but there is an "official" class that is similar. Comlete Divine & the Miniatures Handbook has the Favored Soul as a 'core' class. You might want to thumb through these books at your FLGS before purchasing.

Last edited:

mr_outsidevoice

First Post
I think innate metamagic is unweildly.

Instead of innate metamagic, how about spell secrets like the 3.0 Wu-Gen ability. You choose one spell of a level you are able to cast and apply one 1 level adjusting metamagic feat for free on that spell, like at 1st level, adding one every 3 levels after that(4th,7th,etc.) At 10th, the feat can be a 2-level adjustment and a 3 level at 16th. You don't have to know the feat and you can apply the secret to the same spell or different spell if you choose.

The Spell failure for armor is needless as he is not proficient in any armor or shields.

Spontaneous domain casting could be helpful, especially at lower levels.

apieros

Explorer
mr_outsidevoice said:
The Spell failure for armor is needless as he is not proficient in any armor or shields.

Um...what?

That's like saying that "The Spell failure for armor is needless as wizards and sorcerers are not proficient in any armor or shields." Spell failure has nothing to do with the class having armor and shield proficiency.

There's multiclassing and feats and other ways to get them.

If I missed the point of this line, please let me know.

Merlion

First Post
First, you might want to have a peek at my Mystic

Next, it needs a lot of clarification. You dont state what spell list it uses, although I assume Cleric.

The Innate Metamagic thing is unclear to the point of total uselessness. Especially, there is no mention of what the difference is between Innate Metamagic 1, Innate Metamagic 2 etc.

You also seem to be having some issues with the arcane/divine stuff. There is no reason for them to have arcane spell failure, per standard rules (I happen to believe spell failure for armor should be done away with, altered, and certainly made to apply to all casters, but in standard rules a Divine spellcaster does not suffer it).
Also, the "arcane spell" ability. They are not gaining an Arcane spell. Any spell they learn or cast is Divine. They are gaining access to a spell from the Sorcerer/wizard list.

Also, I think 2 domain spells at any level is overkill.

And 2 domain spells, innate metamagic, bonus feats and "arcane spell" all together, is a bit of overkill to perhaps.

Now the big question is...what is your real goal with this? Is it supposed to be a priest, as in a servant of a higher power that gains its spells thereby?

Or are you looking for a healing/defense caster who isnt also a warrior like the Cleric?

Either way, I dont really see the point in letting them choose the occasional Mage spell.

If what you want is a "priest" thats going to be hard as priest of each religion are going to be vastly different.

If you want a "white mage" caster who focuses on healing and defense, just write it its own spell list, and give it some fitting class abilities, then give it primarily wizard like stats (BAB etc). That is basically what my Mystic class is.

Remove ads