Psionic vs Arcane: Build me some characters.

Nail

First Post
Thanee said:
Well, it seems to be, since they did not errata it ..
I'm clearly behind the times on the XPH.....when was the latest errata posted/updated?

Surely a supplement is errata'd slower/less often? Dunno.

Majere

First Post
Maybe the people who want us to believe psions are balanced are hoping if they keep quiet this thread will just go away if they dont put up a sorcerer or mage ;)

Majere

Psion

Adventurer
Majere said:
Maybe the people who want us to believe psions are balanced are hoping if they keep quiet this thread will just go away if they dont put up a sorcerer or mage

"Maybe the people who want us to believe psions aren't balanced are hoping if they keep quiet this thread will just go away if they dont put up a sorcerer or mage". This can work two ways.

I'll worry about putting up a sorcerer when someone who doesn't have a foregone conclusion/invested interest/chip on their shoulder expresses interest. Until then, the only NPCs I'll be making up are for my game. (And probably even then...)

Maybe you can dig a sorcerer or wizard build up from the d20 character optimization forum:
http://boards1.wizards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=339

(I do find it interesting/telling that the board FAQ has this to say about sorcerers: "There is not much as bad as taking Sorcerer straight.", and the only sample build they offer dips into not one, not two, but THREE prestige classes. See here)

Unfortunately, search and many links seem not too have fared well since the move to vb3, so it might take a little hand searching to find some decent builds, if there are any.

Thanee

First Post
Yeah, that seems to be a build to exploit several (not just one ;)) rather bad rules from 3.0, it doesn't work in 3.5 anymore.

Bye
Thanee

Psion

Adventurer
Thanee said:
Well, it seems to be, since they did not errata it

Well, I can't really presume to oppose you on the thought that as that is written, energy missile is abusive, because, well, I beleive it is.

I just beleive that it will or should be errata'd, as it clearly betrays an existing convention for save DCs, and I have no reason to presume that by the power's capabilities that it deserves any special compensation in this department (quite the contrary).

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
Thanee said:
Yeah, that seems to be a build to exploit several (not just one ;)) rather bad rules from 3.0, it doesn't work in 3.5 anymore.

So maybe it's good that some of those links don't work anymore.

I still think his point stands, though. ;)

Korak

First Post
Hi Psion.

Relatively neutral observer here. Imostly build melee characters and priests. Arcane arts and psionics are two areas I don't dabble much in.

Thanee has made the effort to explore what a psion can do. Pony up the same for sorcerors (or wizards) and show me the other side of the coin.

Majere

First Post
Psion said:
I'll worry about putting up a sorcerer when someone who doesn't have a foregone conclusion/invested interest/chip on their shoulder expresses interest. Until then, the only NPCs I'll be making up are for my game. (And probably even then...)

Actually I dont have any forgone conclusion.
From what I have read I feel that psions at the moment outpower the other casters. I am however fully aware that what looks good on paper and what works in a game are two different things.If I REALLY had already made up my mind I wouldnt have started this thread.
The point of the thread is to pit real character against real creatures in a fairly realistic way. In most combats the psi/mage/sorcerer will sit behind the front line and bomb creatures. This is the comparrisson I wish to draw.
If you can post a sorcerer of mage which significantly outperforms the character posted by Thanee, or even just manages to match Thaness offer it would satisfy me that in terms of spell power psis and arcane casters are better balanced than they appear on paper.

I know Thanee is a supporter of the sorcerer, but Id hate to hassle him to producing two character to one thread ;)

As for the comment, it is fair. In the other thread you have argued strongly of the balance of the classess, here is your chance to support your argument with hard facts. Im suprised you havent jumped at the chance to prove some of your points.

Majere

Last edited:

Remove ads