Brilliant 5-ft. step change! Genius initiative change! Everyone should read!

Players in my game, and one DM I know, think that the 5-ft. step to avoid an attack of opportunity is silly. You hop back 5 ft. and cast a spell, or you hop back 5 ft. and shoot three arrows, or whatever. So in my game, we're house ruling it this way:

Five-Foot Step: As a move action, you can move 5 ft. across clear terrain without incurring any attacks of opportunity.

Pretty simple, but less silly. No more archers stepping back and beating on people. Slightly less of mages hopping away and casting safely.

Now, for initiative. Two things, one for ease of play, one for drama's sake.

Initiative: At the beginning of each session, players should seat themselves in a loose ring in order of their initiative modifier, from highest to lowest. Whenever combat begins, one player rolls initiative for the party, and every player character determines their initiative from that roll. The NPCs likewise get one roll, or possibly more if there are very distinct groups of NPCs (henchmen and main villain, or two different opposing groups). The DM then determines where that initiative count would come in the ring of players, and initiative progresses from highest to lowest, going around the circle. This avoids the DM having to hop around the room in initiative order, because order progresses in a nice ring.

Reactions: A character may at any time interrupt a current action by spending an action point. The character can take a partial action immediately, and then gives up his or her entire action in the next round. The character must be aware of the action to interrupt it, and can only use this option once per round.

If you try to react to an attack roll, that attack roll is going to apply to someone. If you try to flee in reaction to an attack, you can't get clear fast enough. However, you could use your action to try to yank a foe into your place and let him get hit, or an ally could run in and take the hit for you.

This action is typically used for catching allies who fall off cliffs, for jumping in the way of attacks, counterspelling, and making daring attacks just before your foe crushes you.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
I've seated people in initiative order before, and I might again if I felt the need. Usually, especially when people are playing multiple characters (cohorts, monsters, allies, etc.) it's not really any better. When everyone's just playing a single character, though, it's pretty nice.

I don't like the 5-foot step change. It makes melee harder when fighting multiple creatures; adjusting position during a fight makes sense, and wasting a full attack to attack the mob next to your ally strikes me as silly.

I can't comment on the last change as I don't use action points.

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
I like the way they suggest you handle initiative in Paranoia. Arrange the players around the table, in reverse order, based on their initiative bonus (which in Paranoia is based on a mental attribute to represent quick thinking). Then, when a combat starts, you ask the first guy (with the lowest bonus) what he wants to do. He tells you. Then you ask the second guy what he wants to do. He tells you. Repeat.

At the end, you ask the guy with the best bonus what he wants to do, which allows him to decide his action given that he knows what everyone else is doing. So he can change his course of action to react to less quick or quick-witted characters. Then you carry out the actions in order from highest to lowest. Nobody can change their actions after they state them, and mayhem ensues as they try to perform actions based on conditions that have changed because quicker characters have already reacted to them...or blown something up, changing the whole playing field.

Aaron2

Explorer
RangerWickett said:
Initiative: At the beginning of each session, players should seat themselves in a loose ring in order of their initiative modifier, from highest to lowest.
What if some of the characters delay or ready.

Reactions: A character may at any time interrupt a current action by spending an action point. The character can take a partial action immediately, and then gives up his or her entire action in the next round. The character must be aware of the action to interrupt it, and can only use this option once per round.
Since I don't use Action Points (ick), I was thinking of having the characters make a Reflex save to act out of turn. A fairly low save for free actions (quickdrawing a weapon or dropping prone) and a high one for move actions (jumping out of the way etc). They would still lose their next action.

Aaron

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I don't understand how the modification to the 5-foot step prevents mages from stepping back and casting. Most spells are a standard action to cast, and so the expenditure of a ME doesn't affect them.

Grayhawk

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
I don't understand how the modification to the 5-foot step prevents mages from stepping back and casting. Most spells are a standard action to cast, and so the expenditure of a ME doesn't affect them.
Exactly. And since you cannot take a 5 foot step and a move in the same round, the 'stepping back 'n casting' will remain largely unchanged.

Regarding the seating-by-initiative, I like the way it'll streamline combat rounds, but I'm afraid that players might find it too restrictive to be locked into the same initiative order all the time.

Iuz

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Initiative: At the beginning of each session, players should seat themselves in a loose ring in order of their initiative modifier, from highest to lowest. Whenever combat begins, one player rolls initiative for the party, and every player character determines their initiative from that roll. The NPCs likewise get one roll, or possibly more if there are very distinct groups of NPCs (henchmen and main villain, or two different opposing groups). The DM then determines where that initiative count would come in the ring of players, and initiative progresses from highest to lowest, going around the circle. This avoids the DM having to hop around the room in initiative order, because order progresses in a nice ring.

We do something similar. People sit where they want. When combat starts everyone rolls initiative. We start with whoever wins and go clockwise from there. (ie. all that matters is who won; everyone else including the DM just go in the order they are sitting)

Its not very realistic, and with another group it might be exploited, but it works for us.

Gort

Explorer
Cheiromancer said:

You have a very good point there. It does mean that archers can't full attack after stepping back, however.

Perhaps a better way would be to rule that five foot steps happen at the END of your turn, thus meaning that full-attacking fighters can still circle each other while fighting, but that any casting mages have to cast their spell THEN step back, ditto archers.

That seems better to me than increasing them to move actions.

Last edited:

Aaron2

Explorer
Gort said:
Perhaps a better way would be to rule that five foot steps happen at the END of your turn, thus meaning that full-attacking fighters can still circle each other while fighting, but that any casting mages have to cast their spell THEN step back, ditto archers.

The problem I see with this is if two fighters are fighting, the first character can full-attack and then 5' step back but the second character can't step up until the end of his turn unless he burns a 5' move in which case he doesn't get his full-attack (and suffers an AoO if the first character has reach).

Aaron

Thanee

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Five-Foot Step: As a move action, you can move 5 ft. across clear terrain without incurring any attacks of opportunity.

And what about the sorcerer?

Wizard... effectively unhindered.
Sorcerer... cannot use Metamagic with a 5'-step anymore.

If you want to make a more "realistic" rule, then how about this?

Attacks of Opportunity: If you have not moved at all during the round and an opponent starts an action, which normally provokes an AoO just 5' outside your threatened area, then you can make your 5'-step right before AoO are checked for.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads