Greeks? Egyptians?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Greeks? Egyptians?

It's nice that the D&Dg is including three pantheons, but there's one problem: Who here thinks bronze age cultures like Greece and Egypt can survive against even iron age cultures, much less medieval cultures? The technology difference (about 2000 years, in our own world) is just too great.

So, would you keep the Tech Levels the same? Or would you try to advance civilization to a comparable level?
    Last edited by Kwalish Apostate on 03-31-2002 at 11:21 PM

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Geron Raveneye

Hmm...

...Id say the question is if rather "Do you want them side by side?"
    If yes, theres always a way of equalling the technological gap. You can make the area where your Bronze Age culture settles in pretty hard to reach for outside kingdoms, or at least for larger groups of travelers...or you adapt a bit, making it like a meeting between early-days Rome and the late Egyptian empire. Give one a distinct advantage that makes it difficult for the technologically improved to wipe them out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piratecat
    Meanwhile, a challenged for everyone: think about what you write. Are you repeating the same old message you always say? If so, then maybe it's not needed. Be courteous of others, and always try to improve the signal-to-noise ratio here instead of decreasing it. Try not to take comments personally, and keep a sense of humor!
    I've put this in my sig to remind me of it every time I see one of my posts. It helps.

Don't squabble over details in the rules, or over differences in backgrounds! Just play the game the way you enjoy it, and think of all the good it has brought you! There is no better way to honour those who have created these games for us, and those who still do so.

Mod Squad
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Blog Entries

Ignore Umbran
    I haven't seen anything form Deities & Demigods, but I think perhaps there's one simple way to avoid this problem...

Simply making the tech levels even is the simplest route. I see no reason not to have greek gods and cultural facets in a steel-making society.

However, tech is not the end-all be-all of culture. Being of higher tech does not mean you automatically take over the world. Being of higher tech doesn't even mean you reach outside your own borders much. Only aggressive high-tech countries cause problems for lower-tech people.
    Last edited by Umbran; Friday, 12th April, 2002 at 07:10 AM.

Scout (Lvl 6)

Ignore William Ronald
    There are religions on Earth that are thousands of years old. Technology and rituals could have changed over time. So, it is entirely possible to have a medieval or renaissance culture worshipping deities from any epoch on Earth. Certain deities might gain new parts of their portfolio over time. For example, Ptah might be viewed as a god of technology in some settings. Or Athena might take a similar role, as a goddess of wisdom.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Geron Raveneye
    Yeah, just imagine a psychoanalyst reverently touching a figurine of Athena before entering a session with a patient
    Quote Originally Posted by Piratecat
    Meanwhile, a challenged for everyone: think about what you write. Are you repeating the same old message you always say? If so, then maybe it's not needed. Be courteous of others, and always try to improve the signal-to-noise ratio here instead of decreasing it. Try not to take comments personally, and keep a sense of humor!
    I've put this in my sig to remind me of it every time I see one of my posts. It helps.

Don't squabble over details in the rules, or over differences in backgrounds! Just play the game the way you enjoy it, and think of all the good it has brought you! There is no better way to honour those who have created these games for us, and those who still do so.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Black Omega

Re: Greeks? Egyptians?

Originally posted by Heretic Apostate
    It's nice that the D&Dg is including three pantheons, but there's one problem: Who here thinks bronze age cultures like Greece and Egypt can survive against even iron age cultures, much less medieval cultures? The technology difference (about 2000 years, in our own world) is just too great.

So, would you keep the Tech Levels the same? Or would you try to advance civilization to a comparable level?
    Well, the Greeks definitely hit Iron age before being finally conqured by the Roman. But Bronze age cultures would need some other edge, magical or geographical, to hold on against even iron age cultures, except in the short term.
    Black Omega
    -----------
    "On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Check out my Rokugan Storyhour (Updated 12/13/03)

Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Blog Entries

Ignore Mouseferatu
    Why would a bronze age culture have to survive "against" a medieval one? If I'm going to use the Greek pantheon, I'll probably set it in a bronze-age world.

Sure, you could set the cultures beside one another. I've done that sort of thing, in a few campaigns. You just have to make sure the bronze-age has other advantages (more magic, or a lot more manpower). But overall, on average, I don't think they were intended to be used together.

(Of course, it would be cool to see a three-way rumble between high priests of Thor, Hercules, and Kord...)
    Ari Marmell
    aka
    Mouseferatu
    --Rodent of the Dark

My new novel: The Conqueror's Shadow

www.mouseferatu.com

Twitter

Facebook

Originally posted by Geron Raveneye
    Yeah, just imagine a psychoanalyst reverently touching a figurine of Athena
    That's the WORST pickup line I've ever heard.

before entering a session with a patient
    ... and this doesn't make it any better.

Hong "IYKWIM, AITYD" Ooi

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore Eben
    Two points:

1.There are many examples of great empires being overrun by technically less advanced cultures (Sea People, Huns, Germans, ...)

2.Two cultures living side by side would adopt customs. This could happen on a technological level (mostly through commerce) and on a cultural level (take the large spread of the (Egyptian) Isis cult in the later Roman empire for example.)

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Blog Entries

Ignore Mustrum_Ridcully
    Be aware that, if you compare the different pantheons, you will find many similarities. (The reason why the DragonStar "Unification Church" might exist)

Roman adapted the greak gods, they just changed some names.

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast