M2: The Search for Goblin HQ

orsal

LEW Judge
Nurlan wants a closer look at the remains

Nurlan says, "Why don't two or three of us get a closer look at the stuff down there? The rest can watch for trouble, in all directions."

If anybody else seems ready to follow, he'll head down toward the wagon. If it seems too hard to keep his footing, he'll return to the more comfortable ground.

Steve Jung

Explorer
Charlarn takes a deep breath. "I think any trouble will find us down there. So I'll go. Will anyone else come, too?"

Before they head down to the debris, Charlarn will say, "Lady Phyrah, protect these travelers on their journey." Then he scrambles down the scree with nothing in his hands (Balance [untrained] +1, Climb [untrained] +0).

Patlin

Explorer
"Wait! Wait! Does anyone have any rope? Nurlan or Charlarn, if you have one to tie around your waste, I'll try to anchor you. I don't want you winding up in that river down there."

orsal

LEW Judge
Patlin (Tor) said:
"Wait! Wait! Does anyone have any rope? Nurlan or Charlarn, if you have one to tie around your waste, I'll try to anchor you. I don't want you winding up in that river down there."

"Good idea", says Nurlan. He puts his pack down and takes out a long coil of silk rope. He ties one end around his waist and throws the other end to Tor. "Charlarn, do you want a piece of this? We can cut it in two." He also takes out a grappling hook just in case, and leaves the pack where the party is. (Without it, his load is light.) He is about to leave his weapons too, but after thinking again decides to grab the mace.

Patlin

Explorer
orsal said:
"Good idea", says Nurlan. He puts his pack down and takes out a long coil of silk rope. He ties one end around his waist and throws the other end to Tor. "Charlarn, do you want a piece of this? We can cut it in two." He also takes out a grappling hook just in case, and leaves the pack where the party is. (Without it, his load is light.) He is about to leave his weapons too, but after thinking again decides to grab the mace.

Tor leaves over watching for attackers to the others, and wraps one end of the rope around himself. He takes a broad stance, ready to recieve Nurlan's weight if the bard falls. He looks over the rope, hoping it's long enough to let Nurlan get to where he needs while allowing the other end to remain on firm ground. He looks around for anything to brace against, like a thick treetrunk, in case it becomes necessary.

Knight Otu

First Post
(Whoops, thread took off while I wasn't looking...)

Ashnar looks down the avalanche, worried. "I am not much of a climber, so I'll better stay up here. I'd just be in your way, and while the wagon certainly is important to look at, maybe we can also find some up here?"

(Spells Prepared:
0 <DC13/*14>- flare* [], light* [], ray of frost* [][];
1st <DC 14/*15>- burning hands* [], mage armor [], ray of enfeeblement
[])

Velmont

First Post
Rinaldo listen to Ashnar and nods. "I am not much of a climber, so I'll pass my turn. But I am used to looks over wagon. You must always look at your wagon before leaving, you don't want one in bad condition. Let me check the remaining, I may be able to find something that an unused eyes can't see."

Rinaldo appoach carefully the wagon and start to search around, trying to understand what happen and try to find anything that could be unusual for a wagon.

OOC: Sorry for staying silent, I was away for the week-end and I thought I could watch the board at least once...

Manzanita

First Post
The wagon is mostly buried in the avalanch, and to approach it would require climbing down the rockslide. I'll assume Rinaldo does not do this, unless he posts again before I do.

Nurlan and Charlyn tie the silk rope around their waists and climb out onto the skree. Tor braces himself on the other end of the rope in case they fall. The rest position themselves on the trail and look out for danger. No suspicious sights or sounds present themselves.

The climbers find that going downhill is pretty simple. By going slowly and carefully they are able to reach the wagon without difficulty. The rocks do give quite a bit beneath the feet, and going downhill is almost more like sliding. At one point, the rocks beneath Charlyn's right foot completely give out, but by sitting down, he merely slides slowly downwards a few feet. They get the impression going uphill would be more difficult.

When at the wagon, the climbers can see that the remains are indeed from a wagon. It looks like it once carried barrels and sacks. Broken glass and pottery shards indicate it once may have carried food and wine. There is also a sword hilt protruding from the rocks near the front.

Before the bard and cleric and investigate further, the familiar ringing again sounds through the clear air. The rapid tolling of a 'dinner bell'. An instant later, two white figures begin rising from the stones around the wagon, where they were hidden by planks of wood and larger rocks. Charlyn recognizes them as ghouls.

Manzanita

First Post
Initiative:
23-Irene
21-Charlyn
18-Nurlan
16-Tor
15-Somac
14- Telebryn
10-ghouls
6-Ashnar
3-Rinaldo

On the map, the contour lines indicate an altitude increase of 10 feet. The hill rises to the north

Attachments

• ghoul encounter.JPG
    ghoul encounter.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 213

orsal

LEW Judge
Nurlan cries "Help!" in case the people at the top can't see the ghostly creatures. He then lifts his mace, readying an attack at the first ghoul to come within arms' length. He decides not to move toward them, fearing that he'll lose his balance. Recalling what Charlarn had said earlier, he is hoping the cleric will be able to turn the undead.

Remove ads