Free Fantasy Architecture II (New Stuff 5/3/2005)

KnidVermicious

First Post
Check out Free Fantasy Architecture part I

So, after being away for a year, I find myself drawn back into doing fantasy architecture projects. Here is the wizards college in Ambergate, part of KidCharlemagne's Crystalmarch campaign.

Attachments

• clocktower-court.jpg
    clocktower-court.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 555
  • church1.jpg
    church1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,922
  • clocktower-face.jpg
    clocktower-face.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 434
  • clocktower-front.jpg
    clocktower-front.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 405
  • clocktower-rooves.jpg
    clocktower-rooves.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 406
  • overhead-color.jpg
    overhead-color.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 710
Last edited:

Eosin the Red

First Post
Hello Knid,

I was just looking over your old cyberstreet thread the other day wondering if married life had gotten the better of you....like it sometimes does to me.

I have a request if you are taking them? If not enjoy the description that follows.

The Pit of Gorgos
Sages have speculated on the cause of Gorgos Pit for as long as they have known of its existence. Located near the Trollstone Mountains and just east of the border to Middea, the Gorge (the physical pit) is rarely ever seen by the eyes of commoners.

The gorge takes just under a day to circumnavigate, if one walks along the top of the Shining Walls. The walk is not for the faint of heart - the walls are themselves over 300 feet tall. The walls were built by one of the Elder races long before men settled the region but were abandoned during the great conflicts that destroyed them. Most common folk avoid the area, believing it to be haunted, and many cry out in dismay when they approach for the first time. The Shining Wall has two exterior walls; the inner wall is made from subtly different shades of pale stone. Standing only a single pace from the inner wall is the outer lattice. This is an intricate weave of stone meant to provide many open spaces for the life like statues that seem to be struggling to break free. Jutting from the back wall these statues protrude through the lattice giving them a semblance of motion and depth. Use of shading and multi-hued stone is extremely frightening, especially to one uneducated or unprepared. Many scholars and artists have devoted their lives to rendering and cataloguing various aspects of the wall.

From the heights of the Shining Wall you can look into the heart of the abyss, a wound so deep it could not have been made by any known force. The pit has the appearance of a penetrating wound, as if something plunged into or out of our world. It is irregular, and the edges are jagged, although they have softened with time. You cannot fathom the bottom, even from such a great height as the walls, but it is possible to make out a stairway cut into the rough stone that begins near the northern tower. Before the stair has navigated half the gorge it is lost into the depths.

The Shining Walls are manned by some of the most elite fighting men in the world. They protect it from those who would plumb its depths. The warriors are selected from the great knightly orders on the continent of Relestia, and if rumor is believed some come from beyond our lands. All who serve on the Shining Walls are given gold cloaks that mark them for as long as they care to wear it.

It is said that the journey to the bottom takes more than a full day. Few other than the Muldegians Wizards who come every five years are allowed into the depths, so the truth remains unknown. The eldritch order always leaves a few of their kind behind to assist the knights in their endeavors. When the wizards come it is always during the holy nights when both moons are full. They bring with them infants and toddlers, each man and woman carrying one into the deeps. It is widely believed that these children are born with a Talent for sorcery and whatever occurs in the Gorge that is related to their powers. The children that are carried in, will walk out within a week or they will not walk out. It has been noted by several disreputable sources and by the Synod that the numbers going in are always more than those returning.

A town has sprung up around the base of the Shining Walls. It normally works the other way – the town builds a wall around them, rather than building the town around the wall. Most of the people dwelling in the town are families of those who guard the walls. Some are former guardians.

The whole thing is way to big to map. I was thinking about the single gatehouse on the top of the wall with a small section of both the inner and outer wall visible.

Anyway, here is to dreaming :) It is nice to see your return.

KnidVermicious

First Post
Eosin the Red-Yeah, I'm still taking requests but I don't have nearly as much time as I used to, so things will take longer for me to finish. The wizard's college took about a month and a half.

A couple of questions about the Pit of Gorgos:

-The strange parts of the walls face outwards, right?
-Are the figures medium size? Humanoid? Are they at different heights or all at the bottom of the wall?
-When you say "lattice" do you mean a regular, symmetric lattice or a bunch of weird holes?
-Is the gatehouse part of the original structure or did humans build it later? It is on top of the wall rather than through the wall? How do people get to the top? ladders, stairs?

I think the structures should be fairly easy. I'll have to think about how to do the figures, though. AutoCAD isn't really useful for doing organic/living things.

Eosin the Red

First Post
The strange parts go outwards.
The figures are probably pretty large - maybe double or triple human size.
The latice is regularly irregular - a pattern to it but hard to see.
The gate house is part of the structure and the people ascend a stair. Never thought about how they got up there :)

I understand the little time thing - I got a gaggle of kids and work like a dog. I have enjoyed oogling your stuff, if you never get around to the shining walls I will still have that enjoyment. Not to mention that, you pointed out that I did not have a way up :)

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
KnidVermicious said:
The wizard's college took about a month and a half.

Of course, most of that was trying to get me to adequately articulate what I wanted... !

I'd like to publicly thank you again, Knid. Great work. The college will see lots of use in current and future campaigns.

Eosin the Red

First Post
Kid Charlemagne said:
Of course, most of that was trying to get me to adequately articulate what I wanted... !

I'd like to publicly thank you again, Knid. Great work. The college will see lots of use in current and future campaigns.

Heck, it will see use in my campaign! :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases