Wulf's Collected Story Hour -- FINAL UPDATE 12/25

Thorntangle

First Post
Bravo, Aasimar! Finally, the last of the troop shows up in the storyhour.

I wouldn't feel too badly about any comments made here. Remember, any publicity is good publicity. In your own unique way, you have become one of the most well known story hour personalities and Wulf's story would not have been the same without you.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Korak1010 said:
And yes we all know wulf/the player playing wulf just does not like the paladin or the person playing the paladin.

I seem to be able to manage one or the other at different times, but it has been a while since I've liked both at the same time. At any rate you shouldn't confuse the person with the character (and I will try to do the same).

It's obviously not true that 'no matter what you play it will be suspect.' I think I've done right by Karak in the story hour, I've never made him out to be anything other than brave and helpful, and that's how you play him in the game. I say again, back in Nightfang Spire, we got along pretty good.

But after you got some money in your hands (and the ability to teleport off on a whim to Bob's Bargain Bin of 20th Level Paladin Scrolls), you completely twinked out your character. It's extremely annoying.

It's not so much annoying to me in and of itself, but it clearly frustrates the DM, and when the DM is not having any fun, WE ALL SUFFER.

Wulf

Korak1010

First Post
Where as in retospect I agree with that comment, in reagrds to the particular spells chosen, The DM, not that the DM is to blame, has the right to say no at any point. Futher more Sacred Journey yes is broken, but not even I had expected what happened last session with the one spell, I honestly figured two or three people at the most. As far as me buying spells from the church of Tyr, I understand where you are coming from, but I dont see the difference between me buying certain spells and say Kheldas scribing his own as a backup or getting a few spells on a scroll that he does not have in his spell book or Dorn or Alliane if they chose to do that.

Marauder

First Post
Apologies

Apologies to Korak - I extrapolated the discussion to a false conclusion.

As I said, I think your Paladin was a great character, from my perception as given on this board. He did some pretty heroic stuff, and unlike the peck, seemed to always be right in the thick of it all the time.

I hope you guys do adjust your stats to 28-point buy or something similar. You can still give the DM a run for his money in the challenge dept even with the average treasure as defined in the DMG - mine do (the bastards). They're not overly twinky, but their characters are made with combat in mind, and they ecel (plus they've had lots of practice now). Also, I just stick to the core WotC supplements. It can be pretty frustrating when your group of players blaze through difficult battles with hardly a scratch (although there hasn't seemed to have been much evidence of that in the latest installments).

At the end of the day, it takes all types and we, the readers, have had much enjoyment reading the results of your party's interactions and exploits (is it ever going to get a name?).

I for one would like to read how you guys fare at the end of the series, and watch the final credits roll...

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Kheldas isn't running off to "the head of his order" and buying 20th level scrolls, now is he? If he were to suddenly show up with scrolls of Wish and Meteor Swarm and Time Stop it would be pretty obvious what the problem was.

Furthermore scribing scrolls is something his character is SUPPOSED to do, and it doesn't allow him to do anything that he can't NORMALLY do.

On the other hand:

(a) You don't have Scribe Scroll and

(b) Even if you did, you couldn't cast and/or scribe 20th level spells.

There's the difference. I don't know how it could be clearer.

In my mind there are only two appropriate ways to get magic items in a game: Either make them yourself, or you find them.

You should NEVER NEVER NEVER have the option of running out and buying stuff that is more powerful than the party can create, or more powerful than anything the Adventure Path would be handing out as part of the treasure.

And yes, the DM has the right to say no before he approves anything, but he also has the right to say YES and let you try it for a little while, then change his mind. He should be able retroactively change anything that isn't working out and not have to put up with a lot of pissing and moaning about it.

Wulf

Korak1010

First Post
I agree 110% the DM should be able to whatever he wants with out a lot of pissing and moaning. I just did not think removing the book entirely was the best answer. Also they are not 20th lvl spells they are 4th scribed at 20th lvl. Paladin spell caster levels are halved as you know. Furthermore nedless to say I wont be doing that anymore. Realize that it does not mean a whole lot now. Just bear in mind that I have one scroll left to use and its not from Sword and Sorcery. Its from FR I think. My problem is not wheather anything Karak did was right, wrong or whatever is not the point. He( the player/character) always had the best of intentions this time around. Its apparent that the methods were not the best used, but again It was not done with malice to destroy game play at all. Furhter more It Karak duty to at least report in to the head of his order every now and again, when the chance presents itself. What I am getting at here is If I had appeared with a bunch of Cure Moderate Wounds spells for example, we would not be having this discussion.

Immort

First Post
All I gots ta say is that wuz just cold. Okay seein' as how there is words followin' them first words I guess technically I got more ta say. I too am curious ta see whut the current pc play roster is lookin' like. I wuz guessin' that maybe Halma is either away from the table or playin' the bat dude.

Anyhows, sorry ter see ya go Karak. I'm obviously a fan of well built characters and have a soft spot fer paladins ta boot. In fact I got one playin' a leadin' role in my own poor story hour. Course only my dice jockeys read it, but they seemed ter like it well enough.

Keep yer blades up and yer heads down,

-Immort

Rowan Thornglen

First Post
Other side of the mirror

Korak:

Good to hear from one of the other players, you in particular. I'm intrigued that the Paladin fights on, and look forward to discovering how this is.

I never found the "Peck" especially endearing, but from all accounts in reading this storyhour, you've done a bangup job role playing a standup, decent Paladin. No doubt that alone would enough to create character conflict with some of the more chaotic and unsavory types! I am referring to in game characters here of course. No implication or offence meant against all the real world people involved.

I find the back and forth between what appears to be two very different players very interesting, and it was good to see it remained a civil debate, versus ad hominem brawling. It is unfortunate that for whatever reason or reasons you and Wulf have trouble seeing eye to eye. In the long run, I hope both of you are able to enjoy the gaming sessions. There's not much point in playing if there's no fun to be had. That's what work is for, and at least there you get paid for the unpleasantness.

Rowan Thornglen
(hoping for coherence despite a one week old at home)

maddman75

First Post
Hey Korak, don't get the wrong idea.

I for one love the characters you've played. Makes Wulf's story hour part of what it is.

It wouldn't have been the same without Wulf butting heads with first the scheming peck, then the rigid assmar - though not as much, certainly.

Keep on posting - We like to hear from the other players, even if it does occasionally twist Wulf's beard in a knot :p

Korak1010

First Post
Look guys lets let this rest shall we? The intent from the start was to build an effective character, maybe somewhere along the way it got perverted into something else somehow. To a certain extent the Character was min/maxed. I wont go as far to say that I know the rules so well, that everything was intentional, but there were a few things that stuck out with me from the get go. Yes have magic items or aquire magic items that help said character out; in this case it was a cloak of Charisma +4 which is what he started with and a peript of wisdom +4. It was only later that the cloak +4 was upgraded to a +6. in the case of the Halfling every time he leveled to where he would add another point to his attributes, it went to dex. He also had a ring of Dex as well(+2 if memory serves). The Intent there was to upgrade the ring as well. Combine that with weapons finesse dagger and you have what the halfing was. Alignment not wth-standing of course. Furthermore to say that the buck stops with the DM is not really a fair thing to say. Sure, the DM has final authority over what is done etc... but Wulfs is right, Dinkledog's sked is so busy that he does not have the time to watch over us all. Based with everything that has transpired from day one, in retrospect I would have to agree with Wulf that the player(s) bear some responsibilty in making thier character balanced. What Wulf and a lot of people forget is this series of modules were designed to help us learn the rules and find out what works and what does not. Wulf I know what you are going to say "We have had enough time" or something to that effect. Remember not all of us are as adept as Wulf is with rule interpetations or applications for that matter. In reading ALL of the previous posts, were there some judgement errors on my part? Sure. I also understand that if Wulf and I were in another game together, that no matter what I did or how I play it, that itwould be suspect in his eyes. Thats just something we are all going to have to accept and deal with.
Also doc one must remember that Wulf(the character and hell maybe the person too.) has a unique outlook on things. Tomolock was not the 1st halfing that was called a peck by Wulf nor will it be the last. Shorty and loyal get their share of it too. Also for a correlation to be drawn between a halfling being called a peck is the same as calling him a "nigger" is just a bit to harsh in my eye. So I guess what I saying is Lets quit going at it like a bunch of 14yr old girls on the cheerleading team and not beat a dead Aasimar to death any further. Whats done is done, and its over with, lets just get back to playing the game and enjoying the story hour. I am sure that something else in the rules will come up as supsect sooner later, if not by me then by some one else. You guys can have the soapbox back now.

Last edited:

Remove ads