Computer Help -- svchost.exe is eating up my computer

Hmm. I've got a sudden urge to rewatch 2010, and re-experience the fear of Jupiter turning black, while Dave Bowman assures us that what we are seeing is "something wonderful."

Here's hoping my computer is just trying to evolve into the next level of Pokemon.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
RangerWickett said:
Hmm. I've got a sudden urge to rewatch 2010, and re-experience the fear of Jupiter turning black, while Dave Bowman assures us that what we are seeing is "something wonderful."

Here's hoping my computer is just trying to evolve into the next level of Pokemon.
Hey RW, I am online, on AOL IM, if you want any more help.

I deleted a ton of files, defragged my hard drive, and I'm about to restart and see if my hunch is correct that the computer is just trying to do something, and that it didn't have the space to finish doing what it needed to.

My current problem, though, is that I can't get my computer to copy files to CD. I drag files to the D: drive, they show up as ready to copy, and I click Write to CD, but the computer insists there's no disk in the drive, when both I and my friend watched as we put the disk in and closed the drive. Unless I've got a portable hole in there, something's fishy.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
RangerWickett said:
I deleted a ton of files, defragged my hard drive, and I'm about to restart and see if my hunch is correct that the computer is just trying to do something, and that it didn't have the space to finish doing what it needed to.

My current problem, though, is that I can't get my computer to copy files to CD. I drag files to the D: drive, they show up as ready to copy, and I click Write to CD, but the computer insists there's no disk in the drive, when both I and my friend watched as we put the disk in and closed the drive. Unless I've got a portable hole in there, something's fishy.
Okay, let us know the results...nite, nite.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
RangerWickett said:
I did a search for files modified in the last day. I turned up one 110 MB file, called:

WindowsXP-SP2-x86fre-USA-2180-psf.blob

Does anyone know what that is? It's in
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\S-1-5-18\8b5e9cdb91dddbb342695fbdc36fe0e4\download

Definitely sounds like WinXP service Pack 2.

It sounds as if you have "Windows Update" set for automatic background downloading of fixes. If you can see the windows update icon in your taskbar (a little world with the windows flag superimposed), click that to show the list of things it thinks you need to download and then look for the link right at the bottome of the dialog that says "Change automatic update settings".

What does it say there? If you are on either of the first two (automatic or download but let me choose when to install them) then that is your problem. Select one of the bottom two (I suggest the third one - 'notify') and the magical growing file should cease to be a problem.

Cheers

Well, after deleting all my music and AMVs so that I had 900 MB of free space, I restarted and let the computer do its thing. Eventually, yes, it installed Service Pack 2, but now I'm left with only 300 MB free. Not really a victory in my eyes, unless perhaps when I restart the computer will clear out its memory cache or something.

Still, at least the computer's not busticated.

driver8

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Well, after deleting all my music and AMVs so that I had 900 MB of free space, I restarted and let the computer do its thing. Eventually, yes, it installed Service Pack 2, but now I'm left with only 300 MB free. Not really a victory in my eyes, unless perhaps when I restart the computer will clear out its memory cache or something.

Still, at least the computer's not busticated.

300 MB? Wouldnt your life be easier if you just got a new HD?

Keep us posted please. I want to hear how you make out. Good Luck.

You wanna pay for my new hard drive? I've got no job, and E.N. Publishing ain't exactly paying the bills. If you can get me a job, sure I'll buy a new hard drive, but right now I'm having to ration my tomato sauce and just eat pasta with salt.

Sorry for snapping. I'm going to get to work.

redhawk

First Post
Hate to say it, but if SVCHOST.EXE is crashing your machine, then you've got one of the Sasser variants. Update your anti-viral medicine and do a full scan.

If it's just bloating, then you've got spyware. Ad-Aware and Spybot will clear that right up for you.

Redhawk

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
RangerWickett said:
You wanna pay for my new hard drive? I've got no job, and E.N. Publishing ain't exactly paying the bills. If you can get me a job, sure I'll buy a new hard drive, but right now I'm having to ration my tomato sauce and just eat pasta with salt.

Sorry for snapping. I'm going to get to work.
RW, if getting a new drive will help the problem, then it is your's, but there is catch, your current PC's specs I would have to know, reason, the make and model, the bios and motherboard. The last two are important, because the bios is what runs the machine, and dictate how big of a hard drive you can have.

If you have a 6gig, I hope then it can take a 20 at least...I hope, let me know what you want to do.

Peace.

Remove ads