Looking for an 'Alien' esque OGC monster

Cergorach

The Laughing One
I'm looking for an 'Alien' esque monster that is OGC and that i can reuse under the OGL. It wouldn't take a lot of work to create one myself, but i prefer to not reinvent the wheel every time i need something...

Masada

First Post
These will be included in the next issue of MODERNIZED due out this week.

Bug (Alien, Hostile)
Large Outsider
Hit Dice: 5d8+20 (42 hp)
Initiative: +7 (+3 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 60 ft., climb 60 ft., swim 40 ft.
Defense: 21 (+3 Dex, -1 size, +9 natural)
Attacks: Bite +8 melee, 2 claws +10 melee, tail+8 melee
Damage: Bite 1d8+3, claw 1d6+6, tail slap 1d8+3 and stun
Face/Reach: 5 ft by 5 ft or 10 ft (tail attack)
Special Attacks: Acid blood, frightful presence, improved grab, pounce, stun, trip
Special Qualities: climb, energy resistance (cold 5, electricity 5), hive mind, immune to energy (acid, gas), immune to vacuum, immune to mind-altering effects, DR 5/fire, fast healing 1, blindsight (30’), scent (30’), tremorsense (60’)
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +4
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 5
Skills: Balance +3, Climb +14, Escape Artist +3, Hide +15, Intimidate +9, Jump +8, Listen +0, Move Silently +15, Search –1, Spot +2
Feats: Improved Initiative, Multiattack
Challenge Rating: 8-9

Bugs don’t talk. They don’t negotiate. They don’t care about your mama. They aren’t intimidated by your silly guns. You are just a piece of tasty meat for the hive—that is, if you’re lucky. If you’re unlucky, then your nice warm chest cavity looks like a bug nursery.

Bugs hide in the dark and attack suddenly without mercy. The typical attack will start with a tail slap followed by claws and bites. Foes knocked senseless will be dragged off where the Bug can finish them off. Bugs can drag off Grappled foes of medium size or smaller without movement penalty up to their weight limitations.

Bugs can drag helpless victims back to the Queen. The Queen then implants an egg in the chest of the still living victim. The Queen will then secure the victim with a hard webbing for 24 hours after which the larva bursts forth from the victim killing him or her instantly. With ample food sources a larva Bug can grow to full size in 24 hours. Full grown bugs will provide food for newborns. Even without food sources a Bug can grow to full size in 72 hours. Bugs can eat virtually anything organic. They can also hibernate indefinitely with only a small energy source such has a geothermal heat source or an electrical source (power core or generator).

In Bug Hunt, the Bugs will utilize they underground tunnels which they will likely have the only access to. They use the tunnels expertly to out maneuver the PC’s once the Queen is awake.

Acidic Blood (Ex): The Bug has acidic blood. Each time it takes damage, it deals acid damage to all adjacent creatures and objects as it splatters its blood on them. The amount of damage equals 1d6 per 3 Hit Dice of the creature (2d6 for Bug), to a maximum of 5d6 points. A successful Reflex save (DC 15) halves the damage.

Frightful Presence (Ex): As the feat of the same name except using the following save DC. Will save DC = 10 + ½ Bug’s HD + 1 per Bug visible (max 5).

Improved Grab (Ex): When making a successful melee attack, a Bug can initiate a Grapple attack as a free action without incurring an Attack of Opportunity.

Pounce (Ex): A Bug may make a full attack as part of a charge attack.

Stun (Ex): A successful tail slap will stun a target that fails a DC 14 Fortitude save for 1d4 rounds. A tail slap has 10’ reach.

Trip (Ex): A Bug making a successful tail attack can initiate a trip as a free action without incurring an Attack of Opportunity.

Climb (Ex): Bugs can always “take 10” when making climb checks.

Hive Mind (Su): As long as the Queen is alive, all Bugs share a hive mind. What one Bug sees, all Bugs see.

Fast Healing 1 (Ex): A Bug heals from damage very quickly; recovering 1 HP a round. Bugs can not heal from below -10 HP.

Blindsight (Ex): Bugs can sense objects within 30’ regardless of visibility conditions. They do not need to make Spot checks to pinpoint concealed or invisible objects.

Scent (Ex): Bugs can identify individuals by smell as well as human can by sight. This ability functions out to 30’. Range doubled if the target is upwind and halved if the target is downwind. A Bug can only use this ability to pinpoint a target if it is within 5’.

Tremorsense (Ex): Bugs are sensitive to surface vibrations and can sense any creature in contact with the ground out to a 60’ radius.

Queen Bug (Alien, Hostile)
Huge Outsider
Hit Dice: 15d8+45 (105 hp)
Initiative: +9 (+5 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 60 ft., climb 60 ft., swim 40 ft.
Defense: 27 (+5 Dex, -2 size, +14 natural)
Attacks: Bite +11 melee, 2 claws +13 melee, tail+8 melee
Damage: Bite 2d8+5, claw 1d10+6, tail slap 3d8+5 and stun
Face/Reach: 15 ft by 15 ft or 10’ Reach claws, 15’ Reach tail attack
Special Attacks: Acid blood, frightful presence, improved grab, pounce, stun, trip
Special Qualities: climb, energy resistance (cold 20, electricity 20), hive mind, immune to energy (acid, gas), immune to vacuum, immune to mind-altering effects, DR 20/fire, fast healing 5, blindsight (60’), scent (30’), telepathy, tremorsense (90’)
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +10, Will +10
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 20, Con 18, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 5
Skills: Balance +5, Climb +14, Escape Artist +5, Hide +15, Intimidate +15, Jump +12, Listen +0, Move Silently +15, Search –1, Spot +8
Feats: Improved Initiative, Multiattack
Challenge Rating: 12

The Queen rules the hive. The Queen implants hosts and maintains the hive. Her driving instinct is to expand and devour.

All Bugs follow her mental command. She can control her Bugs directly for up to 100 miles. She can give instructions to a Bug beyond this range once a day at any distance. This requires her concentration and 10 minutes per Bug she wishes to instruct. She is highly intelligent and can communicate with any creature that has a language within 120’ mentally.

The Queen will be protected by 5 Bugs at all times. Often these 5 will be more powerful than the standard Bug. Queens can vary in size and abilities. Queens take 72 hours to “hatch” from a host and at least a week to fully mature. “Sisters” ally with the mother to form a Brood. Broods can cooperate through the coordination of the Queens, but only those Bugs born directly from a Queen share a hive mind.

Acidic Blood (Ex): The Queen has acidic blood. Each time it takes damage, it deals acid damage to all adjacent creatures and objects as it splatters its blood on them. The amount of damage equals 1d6 per 3 Hit Dice of the creature (5d6 for Queen), to a maximum of 5d6 points. A successful Reflex save (DC 15) halves the damage.

Frightful Presence (Ex): As the feat of the same name except using the following save DC. Will save DC = 10 + ½ Bug’s HD + 1 per Bug visible (max 10).

Improved Grab (Ex): When making a successful melee attack, a Bug can initiate a Grapple attack as a free action without incurring an Attack of Opportunity.

Pounce (Ex): A Bug may make a full attack as part of a charge attack.

Stun (Ex): A successful tail slap will stun a target that fails a DC 18 Fortitude save for 2d4 rounds. A tail slap has 15’ reach.

Trip (Ex): A Bug making a successful tail attack can initiate a trip as a free action without incurring an Attack of Opportunity.

Climb (Ex): Bugs can always “take 10” when making climb checks.

Hive Mind (Su): As long as the Queen is alive, all Bugs share a hive mind. What one Bug sees, all Bugs see.

Fast Healing 5 (Ex): A Bug heals from damage very quickly; recovering 5 HP a round. Bugs can not heal from below -10 HP.

Blindsight (Ex): Queen Bugs can sense objects within 60’ regardless of visibility conditions. They do not need to make Spot checks to pinpoint concealed or invisible objects.

Scent (Ex): Bugs can identify individuals by smell as well as human can by sight. This ability functions out to 30’. Range doubled if the target is upwind and halved if the target is downwind. A Bug can only use this ability to pinpoint a target if it is within 5’.

Telepathy (Su): The Queen can communicate mentally with any creature that possesses a language in a 120’ radius.

Tremorsense (Ex): Queen Bugs are sensitive to surface vibrations and can sense any creature in contact with the ground out to a 90’ radius.

**Originally inspired by the works of Michael Tresca and Dan McAllister

Wraith Form

Explorer
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE.

Great job--!

Too bad the "first attack = tail slap" thing can't be changed to utilize the barb at the end of their tail.....hint hint.

Wycen

Explorer
Cergorach said:
I'm looking for an 'Alien' esque monster that is OGC and that i can reuse under the OGL. It wouldn't take a lot of work to create one myself, but i prefer to not reinvent the wheel every time i need something...

From the Monster Manual I could reccommend ankheg, purple worm, bulette, grick and probably any other reptilian or insectoid creature without magic powers.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
@Masada:
I was actually looking for somthing that fits with the standards SRD, but with a little modding this could work well.

@Wycen:
The MM doesn't contain OGC, most of the other monsters you quated are in the SRD, that's the first place i looked, but not Alien esque enough for me.

@Frukathka:
It might look OGL, i'm not even touching that stuff, the IP is used without consent of the owner. Thanks though.

C. Baize

First Post
As long as you're only using it in your home game, you have nothing to worry about. You obviously can't use copyrighted material in a "for sale" product without proper consents given.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
C. Baize said:
As long as you're only using it in your home game, you have nothing to worry about. You obviously can't use copyrighted material in a "for sale" product without proper consents given.
If i only needed it for a home game i would have used the D&D Khytons. Also for a "not for sale" 'product' you would be wise to not use an obviously unofficial source.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases