Magic Bazaar Blues

fourthmensch

First Post
D&D is an extremely equipment-intensive game. Magic items are not simply a luxury or an enhancement, they are necessities, especially as one progresses to higher levels. Many monsters have very high ACs, damage reduction, or other special powers that virtually necessitate a fair stock of magical items. The DMG acknowledges this with the NPC tables, in which each class has a level breakdown for the appropriate arsenal of equipment that any given NPC should be expected to have.

After a while, this starts to bother me on several levels.

1. Every NPC has a +2 stat booster, a ring of protection, an amulet of natural armor, and magical weapons. I have tried to work around this by giving NPCs a more diverse arsenal, which is 1) time consuming for me, and 2) it unquestionably leads to NPC opponents who are less effective and therefore less threatening. Without the standard magical items, they are too easy to hit, have too few hp, have spell DCs that are too low, etc.

2. It is extraordinarily difficult for me to preserve the mystique of magical items. Because of #1, my players have gotten used to assuming most rings are of protection, most amulets are of natural armor, etc.--and even then, when they find more exotic items, the mystery is only an analyze dweomer away from being revealed. This seems far too mechanical for my tastes; however, I see no easy solution.

3. This prevalence of magical equipment leads ineluctably to the Magic Bazaar effect. Because the PCs naturally harvest the equipment from their fallen enemies and then eventually want to sell it. I cannot for the life of me find a satisfying way of handling these transactions of massive amounts of magical items. If they are difficult to sell (I make NPCs unwilling to buy, for example, or try to prevent them from visiting areas with enough liquid assets to afford to buy, etc), then the players become frustrated--and justifiably so, since they earned that treasure with their sweat and blood, and they deserve the rewards. If I try to retain some measure of versimilitude--forcing the PCs to visit various vendors, who only purchase items of interest to them--then this is not only frustrating to them, but time-wasting as well, since I am forcing everyone (including me!) to go around like merchants instead of adventuring. If, on the other hand, I make the process too easy, then it gets the game back to the action, but with weird and awkward transactions with people who, for no particular reason, say, "sure, I'll buy everything in your three bags of holding."

4. Somehow the thought of these mercantile side-trips occurring at all irks me, since it strikes me as so incongruous. Heroic adventurers racing against time should not be making all these forays here and there in order to sell every last knickknack that they scavenge, like battlefield opportunists, off of every fallen enemy. And yet, I know that they have to in order to afford the items that will help them survive the next round of heroic adventuring.

I don't really have a point to all this... its kind of a little frustrated rant, I guess. What I would like, ideally, is to lessen the importance of equipment, so that the PCs (and players, more importantly) have no problem felling a dozen foes and then racing on to the scene of the next action without picking them clean, feeling very heroic all the while. But it seems to be a fundamental assumption of the D&D system.

Any thoughts? Do others find they have the same experience, and the same reaction? Has anyone altered anything about they way that they play, or handle treasure, or anything else, that helps to ameliorate this problem? I would love to hear any suggestions, because I am plumb out of ideas.

Turanil

First Post
Sorry, but this stuff of "I am OBLIGED to give PCs/NPCs lots of magical items" appears to me of being a myth of DnD 3.5. It's simple: if monsters are too powerful for characters without magic items, just use less powerful monsters. In any case, the CR stuff is poorly done in 3.0/3.5, so there is no need to be slave of the CR stuff.

XO

First Post
Whether or not they FIND the items, they can, if they so wish (unless house rules dictate alternate mechanics) CRAFT their own items. The only brake applicable is a complete lack of downtime, thus disallowing such crafting.

The "wealth per level" does not take into account the cumulative effects of crafting, and the PCs are in fact quite likely to accumulate significant magic thereof.

Steverooo

First Post
Well, what is THE PROBLEM? Is it magic items, or money, or what? Determine the problem, first, and then find a way around it...

Is the problem disposing of lesser MIs (Magic Items) in order to get cash for greater ones? If so, introduce an old Bard into the campaign, who has become a "Dealer in Esoterica". As such, he has a ready base of customers, as well as several friendly Wizards, etc., who are willing to buy some things, and make others for the PCs... He overhears the PCs' problem, and offers to aid them, for a small fee... He gives them a triangle/hoop/box, whatever, that they can put things into, which he can then dispose of. Once done, he can pass money back through the item from the other side. He can also take orders (and money) in advance, and pass the completed items through some time later (when they're ready). He has expenses, so say he charges 20%...

If money is the problem, then introduce a Sponsor, who will fund the PCs X GP/Month for their services. If they let him know what they need, ahead of time (Animal Messenger, etc.), he can have a bank account set up anywhere on the continent by the time they get there. Hence, no more need to worry about selling gear in order to stay solvent. From tine to time (at the GM's discretion), he could also send special items to the PCs, as well.

By the time PCs get to 10th level, or so, they are becoming famous. People start becoming willing to do things for the "famous folks", just to hang around them... (Hey, if Halley Berry asked you to run across the street and bring her a coke, wouldn't you do it?)

Last edited:

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
I'm with Stevaroo! Put in someone who'll buy their items, no questions asked and without a trip involved. Personally, I'd make it really fantastical.

A planar angle: Perhaps they get contacted by an outsider who works for a merchant in sigil (or some equivalent). Takes items away in exchange for a pile of gems/platinum/whatever.

Make it very easy to start with... later you could always build some adventures round it. Perhaps the messenger gets waylaid with a particularly juicy bunch of stuff - the merchant will want to know what happened. Who is the merchant - are they really in Sigil - it's a Yugoloth? What happens to all those Unholy Axiomatic swords they sold... after all, that merchant would flog them to just about anyone.

Another option is to find some way to keep the same powers, without having the items around. Innate powers is one way to go. There have been quite a few threads about this before - in the house rules section, I think. Getting the mechanics right might be a little tricky. It also might feel like a game of D20 Superheros - which is sort of how regular magic/high level games feel to me anyway.

One way to curb the need for magical items on every NPC you have to generate is to (and I don't know how impossible this might be in your campaign world) have the PCs fight more exotic and magical creatures. Notice how a balor really doesn't need any magical items. Why not? All of the magical items are built right into his body and abilities...hence, nothing for the PCs to loot and no further problem with needing to do up all of those magic items.

....of course, trying to stat out a balor to make him a little unique or special comes into play, but I think that time is much better spent to make a truly interesting and unique villian.

But of course, not every enemy is a magical creature and perhaps your world is predominately human based. In that case, I offer two suggestions.

First, and this might be the harder of the two since the campaign seems fairly well established, cut back on the magical items. Sure! As mentioned, you can change the stats on creatures, why not cut the wealth of each player in half? This makes those magic items they do find all the more special and it would involve a lot less need on your part to constantly create them.

The second suggest I would offer is to make it so that they are put into a position to kill less humans. At higher levels, to keep campaigns interesting, they usually shift more into politics. Sure, the mayor might be evil or Dominated by some evil creature, but just going out there and killing him or trying to cure him could have some very long and very lasting effects...gotta do it some other way then hacking through his 5 bodyguards (and getting their treasure). Of course this might very well be in play in your game and adventurers always need something to kill sooner or later, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

As for selling the magical items, don't make it an adventure unless it is something special. If they run off to Sigil to sell it, then I would definately RP their first few trips in some detail (and make sure they run into some trouble elsewhere...WizarDru's Story Hour does a nice job of this). Otherwise, don't make it a hassle to sell. Give the PCs the 50% of the items' value and be on with it...it is a waste of both your time and their time. You can just say "after some travelling and some haggling you manage to walk away with X gold." It makes it easier on everyone.

Good Luck!

Last edited:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I feel the common items are the one the commers would have, adventures are a niche in a fantasy world, the items they have and hunt for would be different from those of the common commoner. Yes, there could be a overlap but not much of one.

Think home body, creature comforts, items around the house items; things like hot plates, cold plates, fans, inside tolets, lights, self cleaning items, the lazy boy magic finger rocker, the bed of a thousand pleasures, the magic mirror that allows you to talk with everyone on your list, the ring of male enhancement, the ring of hidden baldness, the boots of height, the cream of anti-aging, the shampoo of golden locks, the bard in a box (think iPod), and so-on. These are the items the common man would have.

Last edited:

Matafuego

Explorer
Regarding the looting of corpses often time (too pressed in time to stop and loot a corpse), Religion (Osiris does not let their followers take what belongs to the dead and may even punish infidels) and/or Law (you kill him, you took his stuff, thats murder AND theft) may prevent that from happening.

You should've seen the look on the face of one of my players when, in a Theocratic society, four armed Priests came from the temple asking why he had killed a well known Diviner and took his magical things (he was wearing one of the amulets). His only explanation was "I killed him I get to keep his stuff", not to say he ended doing time in prison...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases