Blackdirge's CR 10 and under thread. (Updated 3/02/05) Flumph O' Doom!!!

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Hi all,

For as long as I have been making monsters on these boards I have traditionally created creatures that were very powerful if not epic in proportions. My current column allows me to indulge this power-mongery as most of the requests are for the BBEG for an entire campaign. I know that that a lot of you have requested monsters with lower CRs to use in your low to mid level games, so, as I aim to please, this thread is for you. All monsters in this thread will be CR 10 and below, although a CR 11 or 12 might sneak in there from time to time. :)

Dirge

Last edited:

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
Ok, first update.

_________________________________________________________________​

Spawn of Juiblex

Advanced Corrupted Gray Ooze
Large Aberration
Hit Dice: 9d10+72 (140 hp)
Initiative: -5 (Dex)
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
AC: 12 (-5 Dex, +7 natural), touch 5, flatfooted 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+18
Attack: Slam +14 melee (3d6+10 plus 1d8 acid plus 4 vile)
Full Attack: Slam +14 melee (3d6+10 plus 1d8 acid plus 4 vile)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Acid, constrict 2d6+10 plus 1d8 acid plus 4 vile, disruptive attack, improved grab
Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft., damage reduction 10/good, fast healing 4, immunity to acid, cold and fire, ooze traits, transparent
Saves: Fort +11, Ref -2, Will +1
Abilities: Str 24, Dex 1, Con 27, Int 03, Wis 04, Cha 06
Skills: Hide +11, Move Silently +11
Feats: Improved Natural Attack (slam), Stealthy, Weapon Focus (slam)
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 9
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Acid (Ex): A Spawn of Juiblex secretes a digestive acid that quickly dissolves organic material and metal, but not stone. Any melee hit or constrict attack deals acid damage. Armor or clothing dissolves and becomes useless immediately unless it succeeds on a DC 26 Reflex save. A metal or wooden weapon that strikes a Spawn of Juiblex also dissolves immediately unless it succeeds on a DC 26 Reflex save. The ooze’s acidic touch deals 22 points of damage per round to wooden or metal objects, but the ooze must remain in contact with the object for 1 full round to deal this damage.

Blindsight (Ex): A Spawn of Juiblex’s entire body is a primitive sensory organ that can ascertain prey by scent and vibration within 60 feet.

Constrict (Ex): A Spawn of Juiblex deals automatic slam, acid and vile damage with a successful grapple check. The opponent’s clothing and armor take a –4 penalty on Reflex saves against the acid.

Disruptive Attack (Su): A Spawn of Juiblex inflicts an additional 4 points of vile damage with every successful melee attack.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a Spawn of Juiblex must hit with its slam attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

Skills: A Spawn of Juiblex has a +8 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks.

Transparent (Ex): A Spawn of Juiblex is hard to identify, even under ideal conditions, and it takes a DC 15 Spot check to notice one. Creatures who fail to notice a Spawn of Juiblex and walk into it are automatically hit with a melee attack for slam and acid damage.

History

The motivations of the slime lord Juiblex are incomprehensible to mortals and even the other demon lords with which he shares the abyss. What is even harder to understand are the few deranged cultists who worship this loathsome creature, propitiating it with the most vile rituals and sacrifices. It is unknown what could possibly garner the attention of Juiblex or what his servants might do to please it, but what is known is that the demon lord does occasionally bestow a very mixed blessing upon its faithful.

Worshipers of Juiblex, who are faithful to its cause, spreading disease and chaos wherever they go, may be rewarded with one of Juiblex’s spawn. The spawn are always oozes, but are possessed with a limited intellect and a desire for destruction and evil. The most common spawn are a mutated from of gray ooze, larger than most and imbued with a terrible disruptive touch that leaves wounds resistant to even magical healing. The most notorious spawn of Juiblex is the one that inhabits the temple of Na’Gruul, a blighted and terrible place in the heart of the Chult jungle. The temple was once dedicated to Juiblex and its priests were particularly fervent in the pursuit of pleasing their patron. Juiblex rewarded his faithful with one of his spawn, which proceeded to devour each and every one of the resident priests, emptying the temple of human life in a matter of hours.

The temple of Na’Gruul now sits abandoned, shunned by the natives of Chult and is considered a place of great evil. Of course these dark rumors are all that is needed to attract adventurers in droves, seeking treasure and fame. To date no one has recovered anything from the temple but death and misery, and those that have escaped describe the interior of Na’Gruul as a sanity-warping nightmare complete with the spawn of Juiblex as the central harbinger of destruction. Despite these dire failures, adventurers still seek out the temple of Na’Gruul, hoping to best the challenges within and recover some great treasure hidden by the long dead priests.

Appearance

A vast pool of steaming malevolence, the spawn of Juiblex is a stale transparent green in color, making it very hard to notice against the stone hallways of Na’Gruul. It can stretch out its mass to cover a 10-foot by 10-foot area or squeeze its fluid body through the tiniest keyhole. When encountered, the spawn of Juiblex will often have the remains of its last meal floating ghoulishly within its protoplasmic mass, a horrifying reminder of the dire fate that awaits intruders in Na’Gruul.

Tactics

The spawn of Juiblex is not the mindless eating machine that most oozes are, and can utilize simple tactics in combat. It typically operates as an ambush predator, hiding against a stone surface and waiting for a potential meal to blunder into it. If this is ineffective it will silently stalk its quarry through the halls of Na’Gruul, picking them off one at a time. It attacks with a lashing pseudopod attempting to grab and constrict its opponents. The spawn of Juiblex will crush a grappled enemy relentlessly until it stops moving, then casting it aside for later consumption, moving to deal with additional foes if necessary.

The spawn of Juiblex is nigh indestructible, as weapons of steel and wood dissolve on contact with its caustic body. Even weapons resistant to such corrosion must be blessed with the powers of good and light to harm the spawn, as its very body is bastion of evil and corruption. Spell also are of little use against it for the spawn of Juiblex is immune to most forms of energy and to all mind influencing glamours and charms. The only weakness the spawn of Juiblex exhibits is a vulnerability to electrical attacks, which disrupt its protoplasm and cause it great harm. Opponents using lightning or electricity will be singled out and attacked immediately; failing this the spawn of Juiblex will flee to fight another day.

Hey Blackdirge,

It's nice to see this thread. I love your big bad guys (and look forward to using a few once my new game starts up) and I can't wait to use some of these small nasties to help spice things up.

Just wanted to say thanks.

Also, two questions:

Are you still taking requests for this thread and, if so, should we e-mail them to you?

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Originally posted by The Amazing Dingo
Come on...we know BLACKDIRGE's MO...he's letting the anticipation build.

I think when it's been this long, it has less to deal with that and more to do with he's too busy or he forgot.

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Damn! Following ConnorSB thread of low level monsters, it was suggested we start a new one...and I did...only to find out today there is this thread..mmm

Should we combine the lot of them. It would be great to have one thread with all the low level critters. I would be happy to combine the new thread created with this one at the least. I love Blackdirge's stuff, but I don't want to step on any toes either. Maybe he wants this thread for himself.

Ideas? Responses?

Good to see a lot of interest in low CR creatures ;)

Connors

Remove ads