An idea for limiting the Cleric's access to spells

Grayhawk

First Post
While I'm mostly just using the core books, I can see it being a problem that every new book with divine spells broaden the Cleric's spell repertoire.

Looking over the Cleric's spell list in PHB, I came up with a pretty simple mechanic:

A Cleric can learn a number of spells of each level = 20 - spell level.

So he'll know 19 1st level spells, 18 2nd level spells, etc.

Thus, you can choose spells from other sources, but they'll come out of your total allotment for that level. You wouldn't even have to choose all your spells of a certain level right away.

And you'll still be able to cast all 11 9th level spells from the PHB.

Just thought I'd share it with those into that kinda thing...

Liquidsabre

Explorer
I keep it very, very simple. The cleric has the core spell list, that's it. If they want to use other spells from new books all they have to do is subtract one of their core spells and then add the new one. :D

Chun-tzu

First Post
Liquidsabre said:
I keep it very, very simple. The cleric has the core spell list, that's it. If they want to use other spells from new books all they have to do is subtract one of their core spells and then add the new one. :D

A step up from that is to only allow new spells that fit the deity's portfolio. So all clerics have access to core spells, and a handful of extras, depending on how many books you're using.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Chun-tzu said:
A step up from that is to only allow new spells that fit the deity's portfolio. So all clerics have access to core spells, and a handful of extras, depending on how many books you're using.

Keep in mind that if the celric is good or evil there are already several spells (with the evil or good descriptor respectively) they can't use anyhow and are easily switched out for new spells they can use, to a point.

kirinke

First Post
Generally speaking, when I make spell-casters of any sort, I look at the character/personality/deity/code of honor/etc and base my spell selections on that. So a cleric of Pelor is unlikely to choose darkness 15ft radius or something similar. I just use common sense. :)

Aaron2

Explorer
Grayhawk said:
Just thought I'd share it with those into that kinda thing...

I make Clerics use a spellbook called a prayerbook. It functions as a wizard's but has no scribing costs and most spells take less than a full page. Each church has its own spell lists (which I was already doing anyway) and give newbie clerics a starter prayerbook. If the player wants a new spell (such as one from a splatbook) his character has to go through the efforts of finding it or researching it. For me, this is a versimilitude rule. Because there are no scribing restrictions (no costs or rolls, etc), a cleric can have many copies of his prayers so losing one isn't a big deal.

I make druids, rangers and paladins do the same thing.

Aaron

Last edited:

mr_outsidevoice

First Post
I am planning on using the Initiate of X feats from Frealms Players Guide as a start for non-core spells. I also figure the spells can be developed by different sects w/in a single faith. Maybe even use some spells if appropriate to substitute from the standard lists in the Domains.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases