Campaigns in a nutshell. Adventures in a sentence.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The first 4 adventures from my defunct HERO 4Ed/Space: 1889 "supers" campaign. (Note: some of the terms used below may be offensive, but they were the terms of common usage for the time period. No offense is intended, its just for flavor.)

The Man with the Golden Sun

A state-of-the-art Babbage Machine (a.k.a. Difference Engine) has been stolen from the British military. The guards who were present at the raid described assailants who defy imagination- a man who multiplied into a squadron before their eyes; a man in a suit of armor with steam-powered-pistons on the arms and legs, and nozzles that shot fire; and a "pair of Oriental bastards"- one whose dragon tattoo sprang to life, and another dressed like an Emperor who seemed to be the leader, shouting orders and seeming to cast spells.

Scant weeks later, a mirror-making factory gets hit- by the same group of miscreants. Thousands of their best mirrors are stolen, and little else.

Then, later that same year, ships start dissapearing off of the coast of China. Survivors report being approached by a small band of unarmed pirates, who, when the captains of their vessels laughed off the threats, signaled with a flag. Seconds later, a burning light flashes out from a nearby island, igniting the ship and sending it to the bottom in mere minutes.

The PCs have been approached by the British government to go to the China seas to find out more, and if they can, defeat this upstart pirate Dr. Chun, the so-called Son of the Dragon.

The Opium War on Mars

The God Mars is back to rule his eponymous planet...

Someone has smuggled opium to Mars and the High Martians have developed a taste for it. Unlike humans, opium acts as a highly addictive stimulant to High Martians, increasing their strength and endurance but with horrible withdrawal symptoms. Some of the packets of opium are wrapped in paper bearing Chinese characters meaning "Dragon."

The addicts do hard labor for their fix, cutting down acres of their liftwood to be smuggled to Earth when they get what they crave, disrupting the official business of Earth's protectorates on Mars when they do not.

The flow of opium must be stanched, and the British Government feels the PCs are right for the job. It seems that a few of Dr. Chun's minions have been spotted at a High Martian temple near the epicenter of most of the unrest.

Claws of the Dragon

Unknown operatives of Dr. Chun's organization are raiding Fort Knox, the installation where his and his consort's corpses were being studied, and where his captured minions are being held.

The PCs, coincidentally, had been invited to inspect the base and talk to researchers about their experiences with the villains when the attack occurs.

Things are going just fine, when Chun and his consort rise up from their slabs to tip the balance!

Warlord of the Air

The Oriental Lich, Dr. Chun, has escaped into a base in the Himalayas, from whence he issued a challenge to the world- submit to his rule or be destroyed!

Refusing to bow to such a ridiculous demand, airships of 6 nations decend over his base- the British Aerial Ironclad Boudicca carrying the PCs as luminaries...and potential combatants, should ground forces be needed.

As the warships rumble into striking distance, the weather becomes heavily clouded...

Just as the warships fire their first cannon shots, thousands of tiny one-man "sky-sleds" of Martian liftwood dive out of the cloud cover, dropping incendiary bombs upon the ponderous European airships...many of them scudding from the aerial battlefield without a mark (the cowards!), others plunging from the heavens like damned fallen angels.

Even the Boudicca is driven from the sky. Now, the ground forces must join in mortal combat for the fate of the world, but only the PCs have the ability to stand toe-to-toe with Dr. Chun and his minions!

The Green Adam

First Post
I love this - Excellent thread. See my recent thread on Weirdest Campaigns for other ideas. What? Ah oh, I'm on...

The Justice Guild of Galinar
Who can protect the world of Galinar from the forces of evil, dark magic and tyranny? None other then the Justice Guild! Imagine a medieval superhero team, not much different from most adventure parties except that their are few other adventurers. Those that are would also be considered superbeings. In addition, villains are not slain as often. I've run this format a few times with different variations and the results always rock. Plan to play D&D, but read alot of team comic books and watch Justice League Unlimited to get the feel right.

Blast City Blues
In high school and college my buddies and I actually made a comic book based on this campaign. The idea is 25 years ago or so, an alien spacefleet arrives in Earth orbit with a frightening message. They are being chased by terrible, world-conquering alien lizard-bugs. It has been determined that a new weapon for use against the baddies is only usable by Humans. The weapon is a special process that will give people Superpowers. Then, when the superhumans and their high tech alien allies are ready...nothing happens. The enemy never shows. Fast forward to the present and the sons and daugthers of the supers and the aliens are hanging out at the malls, going to the prom and battling each other. Inspired by Teenagers from Outer Space and the anime that spawned it, this campaign had moments of serious character play, epic battles and then when no ones ready...the villains finally show.

My Star Trek adventures would be a thread onto themselves considering how often I used to run that game. I'll save that for another time. ;)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That is such an awesomely worked out Vernesian/Wellsian setting! I have something like 2 copies of the base book (hardcover) and some softcovers. I will ALWAYS have a copy of it on my shelves.

Well, assuming I have shelves...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Beverly Hills 90210 AD

In a far flung future, a band of teenagers must cope with day-to-day issues about growing up atomic mutant humans in a Ch.xx.rlw dominated world.

Along the way, they must do things like defend their school's honor from attacks by the crosstown Invader HS (with Ch.xx.rlw kids), being (literally) 2 faced, and Hydrochloricaholism.

The Green Adam

First Post
In one of my earliest AD&D campaigns, my friend played a warrior-wizard who literally fell out of the sky. A Dwarven cleric rescued him from the burning crater he was in and the two became fast friends. The starfallen Mage-Knight never removed his armor as his body was horribly scarred by his arrival. Later in the campaign, it is discovered that our mysterious hero is a robot who crash to the world in an escape pod when his starcruiser was destroyed by enemy forces. When a band of goblin-like creatures with powerful magic weapons and their human leader arrived looking for him, the robotic hero's memory returns and he and his allies defeat the villains and located and destroy their ship. While this strands the robot on the D&D world, the party did manage to snag some high-tech armor, weapons and gear.

More to come...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
(Inspired by the movies Monster House and The Bridge)

The Hungry Bridge

Two thousand years ago, 2 warring kingdoms signed a peace treaty, and in honor of it, they built a bridge across the sound to link their nations in peace. It was an architectural and engineering triumph.

However, despite its beauty, it has been the scene of many a tragedy. On average, 2 people a month die on it or fall from it to their deaths. A scholar of some note who has been researching Peacearch Bridge, in honor of its latest anniversary is now the latest victim.

And 2 days after his burial, a package arrives, addressed to __________ personally.

"Dear _______, my most beloved and talented student,

I hardly know where to start, so I'll be brief- I believe the Peacearch Bridge is not just a site for tragedies, I believe it is haunted and is actually causing the deaths to occur! Please, meet me at its Western base this weekend- we must do something!"

The courier who delivered it said he was to deliver this letter after the old man's death.

The party, intrigued by this mystery, goes to the Western shore of the bay, and at Midnight, they witness the scholoar's spectre!

"Thank the Gods you're here!..."

Dead Hobbit Storage

A so-called honest merchant with some allegedly shady ties has hired the PCs to hide his accountant from the Necromancer King's undead taxman for a while.

The Halfling bookkeeper, one N'ron Hubbard, knows a lot, and if he were taken into custody the merchant's economic empire would crumble. The Imperial Revenant Service specialize in making people talk- even the dead- as long as the corpse hasn't been dead for too long.

So, the party and Hubbard are spirited away in the night in a pair of carriages...but are attacked by the merchant's rivals, hoping to kidnap the halfling and turn him into the IRS. Hubbard is caught in the crossfire and killed.

They must find a place to store the dead hobbit long enough to save their boss, and the boss's estate is definitely not dead hobbit storage (as he tells you many times, pointing out the lack of signage to that effect).

Where to go?

(Subplot- the boss is so stunned by their initial incompetence, he has opted for a scortched earth backup plan, and has hired an Embermage Assassin to wipe out the entire party...)

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
The Fourth Age: The land was first colonized by the Dragons, who flew in from on high, bringing their servants: Kobolds, Lizardmen, Troglodytes. They ruled for a millennium, then were deposed by the Earth Spirits, sprouting from the ground, and carving the world by Halfling, Dwarf, and Elf. The land served the Earth Spirits for a thousand years, but was then conquered by Giants, rising from the sea. With them came the empires of Gnomes, Orcs, and Humans. Their empire has survived for ten centuries, and now they face a new threat: Fiends rising from volcanoes, deserts, and infiltrating cities, bringing forth Goblins, Bugbears, and Hobgoblins...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases