Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Togashi Cho
Male Human Monk 5/Tattooed Monk 1

(Alignment: Lawful Good)
Honor: 2
Glory: 1
Respected Ancestors: Mirumoto Tokeru and Mirumoto Ryudumu (as taken from the Soul of Loyalty feat)
Clan: Dragon

Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 208 lbs.
Hair: Black
Eyes: Dark Brown

Str: 14 (+2) [6 points]
Dex: 15 (+2) [8 points]
Con: 14 (+2) [6 points]
Int: 12 (+1) [4 points]
Wis: 17 (+3) [10 points, +1 level]
Cha: 14 (+2) [6 points]

Class and Racial Abilities:
Bonus ancestor feat at 1st level, Knowledge (history) as class skill, 4 extra skill points at 1st level, 1 extra skill point per level beyond 1st. Unarmed strike, stunning attack, evasion, still mind, slow fall (30 ft.), purity of body (immune to non-magical diseases), Sun tattoo (1/day gives a +2 to a single attack roll, ability check, or skill check if done in full daylight)

Hit Dice: 6d8+12
HP: 40
AC: 17 (+2 Dex, +3 Wis, +1 monk, +1 armor)
Init: +2 (+2 Dex)
Speed: 50 ft.

Saves:
Fort +9 [+6 base, +2 Con, +1 haori]
Ref +9 [+6 base, +2 Dex, +1 haori]
Will +10 [+6 base, +3 Wis, +1 haori] (+2 to saves versus Enchantment [still mind], and +4 to saves versus compulsions [Soul of Loyalty])

BAB: +3
Melee Atk: +5 (1d8+4/x2/B, unarmed attack)
Melee Atk: +6 (1d6+3/x2/B, nunchaku)
Ranged Atk: +5 (3/x2/10 ft. range/P, shuriken)

Skills:
Balance +17 [5 ranks, +2 Dex, +2 synergy, +8 nunchaku]
Climb +5 [3 ranks, +2 Str]
Concentration +4 [2 ranks, +2 Con]
Diplomacy +4 [2 ranks, +2 Cha]
Escape Artist +5 [3 ranks, +2 Dex]
Heal +4 [2cc ranks, +3 Wis]
Hide +6 [4 ranks, +2 Dex]
Jump +10 [6 ranks, +2 Str, +2 synergy]
Knowledge (arcana) +2 [1 rank, +1 Int]
Knowledge (history) +5 [4 ranks, +1 Int]
Knowledge (religion) +5 [4 ranks, +1 Int]
Listen +7 [4 ranks. +3 Wis]
Move Silently +6 [4 ranks, +2 Dex]
Swim +6 [4 ranks, +2 Str]
Tumble +10 [6 ranks, +2 Dex, +2 synergy]

Feats:
Soul of Loyalty (human bonus ancestral feat)
Improved Grapple (1st level)
Choke Hold (monk 2nd level)
Fists of Iron (3rd level)
Falling Star Strike (monk 6th level)
Ki Shout (6th level)

Languages: Rokugani, Spirit Tongue

Advantages

Hands of Stone - Double strength damage with barehanded attacks.

Disadvantages

Compulsion DC 20 - Will accept a quest to further his honor with little thought as to if he can accomplish it. Also will turn just an idle request into a sacred quest.

Haunted (3 times a story) - Cho's visions were the result of one of his ancestors attempting to put him on the correct path. More "corrective" visions may be forthcoming if he does something stupid.

Equipment
Obi of giant’s strength (4,000gp)
Haori of resistance +1 (1,000gp)
Yasuki’s furoshiki sack (2,000gp)
+1 nunchaku of balance (3,582gp)
Bracers of armor +1 (1,000gp)
2 sun draughts (as potions of cure moderate wounds) (600gp)
Potion of scales of the lizard (50gp) - This resembles a small lizard made out of sugar. It must be eaten to get the full effect.
15 shuriken (15gp)
2 Fingers of Jade - These are pieces of light green jade, thick and flat and about two inches long. (200gp)
Straw Mat (5sp)
Bedroll (1sp)
Soap (5sp)
Flint & Steel (1gp)
10 Day's Rations (5gp)
2 Waterskins (2gp)
Incense – Twenty five-inch sticks of sandalwood incense in a green lacquered case with a dragon painted on it; the case also serves as a holder for lit incense. (10gp)

Money:
533gp, 9sp

Appearance: Cho is a slightly tall young man, solidly built, with a smooth, hairless head and face. His eyes are a rich, ruddy brown, and his skin is somewhat tanned and weathered from traveling outdoors. He wears loose canvan pants with a red and gold obi and haori, plain leather sandles on his feet, with a furoshiki sack in his hand. Thrust in his obi is a nunchaku and several shuriken. Under his haori, he has a tattoo of a sun inscribed on his chest in brilliant colors of red, orange, and yellow.

Personality and History: Togashi Cho, member of the Togashi family of the Dragon clan, on the path to becoming one of the ise zumi, the tattooed monks. Born into the monastery, he was to begin training at an early age. His parents were both retired ise zumi, imparting their wisdom to the younger generation. They met and wedded late in life, and perhaps that was the reason Cho was born with a strange birth defect. He has not a single hair on his body. Utterly average in height and weight otherwise, Cho treated his odd defect as a symbol on how to conduct his life.

As he was, he decided to concentrate on smoothness, perfection, and purity to overcome his shortcomings. He has high aspirations for becoming the best ise zumi of the Dragon clan, and trains hard as he can to earn this honor for himself. He has what might be called an excess of zeal, because he takes every task he is offered on the hopes that he might be able to prove and improve himself. Sometimes he suffers from an excess of enthusiasm in attempting to prove himself, for he has difficulty in saying no to even the most difficult of tasks. However, his will is unfailing, even if flesh holds him back.

Known affectionately as "The Hairless One," Cho had two unusual incidents in his youth that cemented his desire to be the best the Dragon clan could offer. When meditating on a mountain known as the Peak of Storms, he had a vision. He saw himself, naked and curled up like a small child, looking almost like a smooth egg. As he watched, he saw cracks appear in his skin, running and forming into tattoos of astounding complexity. As the tattoos appeared, Cho saw himself unfold and stand, staring at himself. He now had the haughty mien of a dragon, with ridged and scaled eyebrows and crest.

The second incident was much like the first, though this time he meditated in the garden. Having driven himself to become as a powerful dragon, he had begun to overreach himself in pride. Again he beheld a vision of himself as a proud ise zumi with draconic features. However, now the features began to overtake him, turning him from noble to bestial. Fangs grew enormously, and his postured hunched like that of a ravening beast. Cho suddenly understood that the pride of the dragon was overtaking him, and he spent many more days in peaceful meditation and fasting.

He emerged from his contemplation focused not on pride, but on obedience, not on power, but on skill, not on arrogance, but on loyalty. His change from prideful princeling to obedience penitent surprised the more senior monks, but they were quite willing to believe him. Now Cho focuses on improving his skill for the good and the righteous, his Clan, and the people.

Last edited:

Dark Nemesis

First Post
Hey guys,

I am sorry if I did not make this clear from the beginning, but I would like you to create your characters using the classes available in the Rokugan campaign setting. Though I am incorporating elements from the Oriental Adventures book, it does not have the same basic elements that I am looking for.

Thank you, and appologies to those of you who have already build your characters.

Kangaxx

First Post
Couple questions before I start building - Should I use the 3.0 or the 3.5 ranger? I don't have a 3.0 PHB, so it'd be helpful if you could tell me the differences if we're using that one.

Are you using the rule that we need an ancestor feat or void use? I was planning on buying an ancestor with points, and I don't especially want void use.

Kangaxx

First Post
Isida, sorry I overlooked your question earlier. The answer is that Rokugan doesn't contain any of the same PrCs as the OA book, and actually doesn't even have any monk PrCs. It has a new monk core class called the inkyo, but it's basically a crappier version in my opinion.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
Hi and thanks for the feedback :)

Dark Nemesis said:
Li Shenron: Just a few things about your character.

Perhaps you should go with levels of samurai in place of fighter levels. The base attack progression is the same, you gain feats at a similar rate, and you have more appropriate skills. Fighters are associated more with ronin than with the noble caste.

It was my idea to be Samurai/Shugenja, but reading Oriental Adventures I always find passages where it says that basically this multiclass combination is "almost unheard of", and the book keeps saying how samurais think shugenjas are lame and how shugenjas think samurai are lame :p And also it says that all samurais are trained since childhood in the family samurai school, while all shugenjas are trained since childhood in the family shugenja school, so they almost never multiclass!

I thought I understood that a Shugenja which has some combat training always takes the fighter class instead (or otherwise barbarian if belongs to the Unicorn clan, or ranger if belongs to the Crab clan).

It's just the same for me to play either of them, in any case my character concept can be represented well enough. So if you think I should switch to Samurai levels, just let me know (it only takes some extra time to recalculate all skills...).

Dark Nemesis said:
Also, I strongly encourage you to get your hands on a Rokugan book. Most of the feats you have listed aren’t in the Rokugan CS. Also, you would have more spells available to you as a shugenja.

I see, but currently I only hold a copy of Oriental Adventures, and I haven't seen Rokugan books in the local FLGS, or at least I don't remember. Is that very different? OA seems to always make it clear what is available in Rokugan and what is not.

BTW, the feats I have chosen are all from the PHB except one, are you actually saying that we should not use PHB feats? The only feat from OA is Iaijutsu Master, but if that's not part of Rokugan I can change it.

Mmm... that's weird however, it makes me wonder... is there any Iaijutsu Focus skill AT ALL in Rokugan??? From Oriental Adventure it looks like it's one core concept of Rokugan campaign setting...

Dark Nemesis said:
I know you are a Crane, but what family are you? The families are the Asahina, Doji, Daidoji, Kakita and Yasuki. Asahina are primarily shugenja, Daidoji are the samurai, Doji are the courtiers, Kakita are the artisans and duelists, and Yasuki are the merchants. You gain a class skill depending on what family you are from, and your starting honor depends on your family as well.

Ok, this is probably my mistake, that I am not familiar with the setting ;)

Do I have to choose one of those families? I thought it was only an option, so I went with "Fudo" as an hypothetical lesser family. But maybe a "family" in Rokugan means more like a sub-clan rather than family in the western meaning. Those that you mention are included in OA so I can easily pick one of them, only that IIRC it says that ALL Cranes have Diplomacy as extra class skill, it doesn't differentiate between Crane families! Can you tell me which are those skills for each?

Also, would you mind helping me with the following question as well? I thought I read from your links that when two people marry in Rokugan, the wife becomes part of the husband's family. However the wife could be from a higher family than the husband, what happens in that case? I ask you this because I though my character has one parent from a samurai family and another from a shugenja family, only I have to figure out which is which... the idea is that she was mainly trained in the combat arts by the parent of higher family, and privately (and somewhat secretly) trained by the other parent in the magic arts.

Li Shenron

Legend
While I wait for your answer on the background, here's the changes in case I should have Samurai levels instead of Fighter levels:

1) one feat less: drop Skill Focus(Iaijutsu Focus)

2) more skill points: increase Craft(Calligraphy), Craft(Painting), Knowledge(Arcana), Knowledge(Nobility), Spellcraft and Diplomacy by 2 ranks each

3) more class skills: Iaijutsu Focus and Perform(Tea Ceremony) are class skills for the Samurai and therefore their ranks should not be halved

I will post the whole character in the rogue gallery as soon as I know which class :)

Remove ads