Rokugan: Blood and Cherry Blossoms OOC

valeren

First Post
QUESTION: I was just wondering, if the game is set in the year 1130, wouldn't that have some problems with Scorpion characters since it was during that year that they have been exiled to the Burning Sands?

Sephiroth no Miko

First Post
This looks like a very cool game, DM, and I would love the chance to play in the Rokugan setting but I just don't have the time right now. :( But good luck everyone and have fun! :D

Li Shenron

Legend
Dark Nemesis said:
Hey guys,

I am sorry if I did not make this clear from the beginning, but I would like you to create your characters using the classes available in the Rokugan campaign setting. Though I am incorporating elements from the Oriental Adventures book, it does not have the same basic elements that I am looking for.

Thank you, and appologies to those of you who have already build your characters.

Reading the reviews about the Rokugan setting book, it seems like the Samurai and Shugenja classes are almost exactly the same as in Oriental Adventures.

The Samurai has an interesting difference: the ancestral daisho costs XP instead of gold! This raises the question... if I start with a +2 daisho (for a 7th level character), how much Xp do I need to spend and most importantly HOW am I going to spend those Xp? Do I actually need to start one level lower?

Li Shenron

Legend
Fudo Ai (almost done)

Here's Ai's final write-up as a Samurai/Shugenja, which is only missing the equipment.

Code:
Name:		Ai Fudo
Race:		Human , female
Alignment:	Lawful Neutral
Class:		Samurai 3 / Shugenja 4
Clan:		Crane
Family:		Daidoji
Honor:		3
Glory:		1

Personal Description
Height:		170cm
Weight:		50kg
Appearance: Probably because of her childish face and fair skin Ai seems at least a couple of years younger than what she is. She is slightly taller than 
average however, very slim, wears long black hair usually fixed with a simple knot, and has very small feet and hands. Perhaps her most peculiar detail 
is her voice, which always sounds very airy and soft, and has made several people say that she would make for a very good courtier.
She usually prefers comfortable clothes and simple sandals rather than dressing more elegant, unless of course she is invited in public or receiving a 
guest, in which occasion she doesn't disdain elaborate clothing.

Racial and clan Features
Size:		medium
Base Speed:	30ft
Skills:		+1 sp/lv, Diplomacy always class skill
Languages:	Rokugani
Favored class:	samurai
Special:		bonus ancestor feat

Base Abilities (32pt)
Strength		12	Intelligence	14
Dexterity	 	14	Wisdom		10
Constitution	12	Charisma		17**

** one level increase

LEVEL 7

Class	Fighter 3 / Shugenja 4

Initiative		+2
BAB		+5
ST		Fort	+3 +1 = +4 base (+1 Con) = +5
		Refl	+0 +1 = +1 base (+2 Dex) = +3
		Will	+3 +4 = +7 base (+0 Wis) = +7
Hp		10 + 2d10 (avg 11) + 4d6 (avg 14)+ 7 (Con) = avg 42

Weapon prof.	(all Simple Weapons)
			jo (club), dagger, quarterstaff
			unarmed strike, gauntlet
			dart, javelin, shortspear
			light crossbow, heavy crossbow, small blowgun
		(all Martial Weapons)
			wakizashi, katana (two-handed)
			battleaxe, warhammer
			greatclub, greatsword
			guisarme, trident, nagamaki, naginata
			composite shortbow, day-kyu (composite longbow)

Armor prof.	(Light Armor)
			padded
			bone armor
			ashigaru armor
		(Medium Armor)
			chain shirt
			partial armor

Feats:		lv1 Quick Draw
		lv1 Iaijutsu Master (Crane ancestor feat)
		lv2 Dodge (samurai bonus)
		lv3 Mobility
		lv6 Spring Attack

Skills:		name			ab.	rank		total
		Climb			+1		acp
		Jump			+1		acp
		Swim			+1		acp x2

Balance			+2		acp
		Escape Artist¤		+2		acp
		Hide¤			+2		acp
		Move Silently¤		+2		acp
		Ride*			+2
		Tumble			+2	10/2		+7
		Use Rope		+2

Concentration		+1	8		+9

Appraise			+2
		Craft - Calligraphy*		+2	4		+6
		Craft - Painting*		+2	4		+6
		Forgery¤			+2
		Knowledge (Arcana)*	+2	4		+6
		Knowledge (History)*	+2
		Knowledge (Nobility)*	+2	4		+6
		Knowledge (Religion)*	+2
		Search			+2
		Spellcraft*		+2	4		+6

Heal			0
		Listen			0
		Sense Motive		0
		Spot			0
		Wilderness Lore		0

Bluff¤			+3
		Diplomacy		+3	10		+13
		Disguise¤		+3
		Gather Information¤	+3
		Iaijutsu focus		+3	10		+13
		Intimidate		+3
		Perform - Tea ceremony*	+3	2		+5

tot points spent = 60
		*high skill - the use of this skill is honorable
		¤low skill - the use of this skill is dishonorable

Spells:		0th	6/day			DC 14	+2 Air
		1st	6+1/day			DC 15	+2 Air
		2nd	3+1/day			DC 16	+2 Air

Known:		0th	Guidance
			Daze, Ghost sound, Know direction
			Light, Detect poison, Read magic
		1st	Detect snares and pits
			Feather fall, Expeditious retreat
			Cure light wounds
		2nd	Detect thoughts
			Silence

Class features:	Ancestral Daisho
		Element Focus (Air)
		Sense Elements (10-30ft, 3/day)

Languages:	Rokugani, High Rokugani

Equipment:	(tbd)

Class Tools:	Set of Ofuda (divine focus) (15gp, 3lb)
		Spell Component Pouch (5gp)

Other Gear:	Belt Pouch (1gp) + Trail Ration (3x0,5gp) + Soap (0,5gp)
		Waterskin (1gp)
		several outfits for different weather and occasions

Background:	Fudo Ai is the 5th and youngest daughter of Fudo Yoshimori and Daidoji Akane. The Fudo are a very small family branch of the Crane and as such Ai and her brothers and sisters have always been educated under the leadership of their mother's family, the Daidoji. Although she never quite seemed particularly gifted for combat, and also shown some whimsical behaviour since very young age which raised doubts about her strength to follow the bushido code well, it was decided by her family that Ai should have received regular training in the Daidoji samurai school since her tender age, and after proving to be quite agile she was later focused on the art of iaijutsu technique. Besides, she was teached in traditional skills such as calligraphy, cultural knowledge and the performance of the tea ceremony, as she was supposed to be a well-educated maiden in society as much as a good samurai in battle.
Her father Yoshimori however was never pleased by the fact that his children were all being trained according to the wife family's decisions. Being an expert in more than one kind of magic, he had already tried with Ai's elder brothers to have them also trained as shugenja, but with little success. But he noticed that Ai had a somewhat better disposition towards this, and the fact that she was the youngest - and at the same time the least promising samurai - helped Yoshimori manage to get the Daidoji loose the grip on Ai a bit, and the girl was able to follow her father's training at the same time.
At this day, Fudo Ai is in her early twenty. She is usually addressed as a samurai, for how far her father's trainings have gone is not very much disclosed to anyone, and not even the Daidoji relatives knows her current skills as a shugenja. Because she is still considered somehow an unreliable apprentice in the arts of combat, she has never been assigned important tasks for the Crane clan and she has actually ventured in the shadowlands only once, as part of her samurai training.

Personality:	Normally Ai is very well-versed in etiquette and never shows anger or reveal any other strong emotion. Neverthless in her life she occasionally happens to behave strangely or exaggerately for a day, as she would sometimes need to blow out a burden of hidden and contained feelings; recently she has noticed how this behaviour of hers usually happens after a recurring nightmare where she is lost or abandoned in the shadowlands (whatever may be the reason for this nightmares, it is at present unknown to her). Although she is definitely not shy at all, she also seems to often measure her words as she would like to avoid talking about her private self.

Can I choose magic equipment from the Dungeon Master's Guide? From the Oriental Adventure? If I cannot, can you choose the equipment for me from the Rokugan setting book?

No background just yet...still curious about how to do HP...

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Isawa Renshi
[B]Class:[/B] Shugenja
[B]Race:[/B] Human
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] NG
[B]Clan:[/B] Phoenix
[B]Ancestor:[/B] Kitsu Taiko(7)[Commune/Summon/Sense Water Spirirts met 
with friendship, +2 Caster Level to Water spells]
[B]Honor:[/b] 2
[b]Glory:[/b] 1
[B]Void:[/b] 2

[B]Str:[/B]  8 -1      [B]Level:[/B] 6        [B]XP:[/B] 15,000
[B]Dex:[/B] 14 +2      [B]BAB:[/B] +3         [B]HP:[/B] 31 (6d6)
[B]Con:[/B] 10 +0      [B]Grapple:[/B] +2     [B]Current HP:[/B] 31
[B]Int:[/B] 12 +1      [B]Speed:[/B] 30'      
[B]Wis:[/B] 14 +2      [B]Init:[/B] +1        
[B]Cha:[/B] 16 +3      [B]ACP:[/B] -0         

[B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]              10    +2    +0    +2    +0    +0    +0    14
[B]Touch:[/B] 12              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 12

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                      2    +0          +2
[B]Ref:[/B]                       2    +2          +4
[B]Will:[/B]                      5    +2          +7

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Wakizashi                 +3     1d6-1      19-20/x2
+1 Defending Sai          +3     1d4              x2

[B]Languages:[/B] Kami, Rokugani

[B]Abilities:[/B] Elemental Focus(water), Sense Elements(Water)

[b]Advangates:[/b] Benten's Blessing(3)[+2 Cha based skills]

[b]Disadvantages:[/b] Haunt(1), Soft Hearted(2)[DC 20 Will save to take human life] 

[B]Feats:[/B] Dodge, Innate Ability(Path of Inner Peace II, Walk Without Passing,Summon Fog), 
Martial Weapon Proficiency(wakizashi), Simple Weapon Proficiency, Way of the Phoenix, Void Use

[B]Skill Points:[/B] 54       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 9/4.5
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Concentration              9    +1          +10
Craft(calligraphy)         9    +1          +10
Diplomacy                  9    +3   +2     +14
Knowledge(arcana)          9    +1          +10
Knowledge(history)         9    +1          +10
Spellcraft                 9    +1          +10

[B]Equipment:               Cost     Weight[/B]
Wakizashi                300koku      3 lbs
+1 Defending Sai       8,301koku      2 lbs
Bracers of Armor +2    4,000koku       -
Noble's Outfit            75koku      5 lbs
Ofudas                    15koku      3 lbs

[B]Total Weight:[/B] 13 lbs      [B]Money:[/B] 309koku

[B]Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]               26    53    80    160   400

[B]Shugenja Spell DC:[/B] 13 + Spell Level
[b]Shugenja Spells Per Day:[/b] 6/7/6/4
[b]Shugenja Spells Known:[/b]
[i]0-level(5+3, DC 13):[/i] Accounts of Shorihotsu([i]Detect Magic[/i])*, Commune with Elements, 
Crow's Vision([i]Know Direction[/i]), Minor Blessing of Inari([i]Purify Food/Drink[/i])*, 
Stun the Mind([i]Daze[/i]), Summon Water([i]Create Water[/i])*, Virtue, Wisdom of Fortunes([i]Read Magic[/i])
[i]1-level(3+2, DC 14):[/i] Castle of Water*, Detect Taint*, False Face([i]Change Self[/i]), 
Summon Fog([i]Obscuring Mist[/i])*, Walk Without Passing([i]Pass Without Trace[/i])
[i]2-level(2+1, DC 15):[/i] Know the Min([i]Detect Thoughts[/i]), Mend the Spirit([i]Lesser Restoration[/i])*, 
Path of Inner Peace II([i]Cure Moderate Wounds[/i])*
[i]3-level(2+0, DC 16):[/i] Remove Disease*, Walking Upon the Waves([i]Water Walk[/i])*
*Water Spells

[B]Age:[/B] 23
[B]Height:[/B] 5'5"
[B]Weight:[/B] 125 lbs
[B]Eyes:[/B] Brown
[B]Hair:[/B] Black
[B]Skin:[/B] Pale

[B]Appearance:[/B] Renshi has short, clean cut black hair and calm brown
 eyes. He is not the tallest of his clan, but neither is he very short. His face
 is soft and devoid of sharp edges, which seems to flow(literally) into the 
long robes. Among many, he woul be considered very attractive. They are 
a firey Phoenix red, which is ironic in his devotion to water.

[B]Personality:[/B] Isawa Renshi is calm, and slow to anger or action. His 
emotions rule him more than anything, and they flow like the waters of the ocean. While he sees himself as a healer and pillar of strength, Renshi will 
fight if necissary, though he has always had problems with the idea of taking
 a human life.

[B]Background:[/B] Renshi, like most others, was born into his place. Unlike some, however, he was born into the perfect place. As a member of the Isawa family, he had access to the magic of the world from a young age, and
 his talent in this field was easily seen and developed. He grew up learning
 the truth about magic and how to develop it within himself. However, unlike many in his family, he has only taken a small interest in the Void. He sees
 that it has great potential and power, but that is not what he seeks. He
 simply seeks to prove his honor to the ruling members of the family, and
 hopefully one take take a place among the elders. Of course, this will most
 likely be a tough road for one ruled by their emotions, as he can make comments or take actions where one should not in the normal course of 
proper behavior. While his family can accept this, it would be dangerous for
 himself to act soley from his emotions within a more public setting. Every so
 often, he finds that these actions attract the ire of an ancestor, who comes
 to haunt him, expressing their distaste in ways that are more than worrying.

Last edited:

Kangaxx

First Post
Since we haven't heard from DN in awhile, and I have too much freetime on my hands today, I'm going to try to answer some of the Rokugan questions floating around here, and consolidate the rules questions that we need DN's answers for. Hopefully I won't be stepping on anyone's toes too much. :p

The family names for the clans in Rokugan are all-inclusive, so any character from one of the clans has to be from one of the major families. Each family has it's own starting honor, specific class skill, and favored class. The Daidoji are a militant family, known for their guerilla tactics in battle. They have 2 starting honor, hide as a class skill, and fighter as a favored class. The Togashi have 2 starting honor, concentration as a class skill, and inkyo as a favored class. Li Shenron, you may prefer the Kakita, who are known for their duelists and artists. They have 3 starting honor, Iajutsu focus as a class skill, and samurai as a favored class. Yes, Iajutsu focus is a skill in Rokugan.

A Samurai/Shugenga is normally not allowed, (Rokugan p. 39) but I think we can assume DN is ignoring that restriction.

In Rokugan, shugenga are priests, and the ability to speak to the gods, or kami, is a treasured gift. It would be highly unusual for a shugenga to be trained in secret. On the other hand, While it isn't common practice, there's no real stigma against a shugenga receiving martial training as well.

Valeran, I assumed DN meant the beginning of 1130, before Toturi (the emperor) disappeared and the scorpion were exiled. If I'm wrong, then being a scorpion probably wouldn't be viable.

On to the rules questions:

I've also been confused by the stuff DN has said regardng what feats and classes we can use. While some of the OA PrCs (singh ranger) wouldn't work in Rokugan, others (shiba protector, tattooed monk, iajutsu master) are part of the Rokugan mythos and don't have counterparts in the Rokugan book. In addition, several npcs in the Rokugan book have PrCs from OA. For example, Utaku Xieng Chi on p. 20 is a battle maiden. Similarly, I don't understand why any feats from the PHB or OA would be removed. DN, could you clarify this?

We need to know how we're determining HPs past first level, I need to know if I should use the 3.0 or 3.5 ranger (and what the differences are if 3.0) and if we still need an ancestor feat if we buy an ancestor with points.

Whew. So did I miss or screw up anything?

Dark Nemesis

First Post
Hey everyone! Please bear with me; I am still trying to juggle school and my free time activities. Barring this recent trouble with the boards being down, I usually am online everyday, so I will answer your questions. It may not be within minutes after you post them, but I will answer them! Okay then, back to it!

Kangaxx: Just to keep things consistent, go with the 3.0 Ranger. It has the fighter progression for BAB, good Fort save progression, poor Reflex and Will progression, the Track feat at 1st level, and the 1st favored enemy at 1st. HD is d10, and skills are at 4 + Int.

Li Shenron: Go with the fighter/shugenja combo if you’re more comfortable with it. I was merely offering the other as an alternative.

Yes, Iajutsu focus is still a skill in Rokugan.

You may use PHB feats, as well as feats from the Rokugan and OA books. Please forgive me for the previous confusion.

Each family has a favored class, a different starting honor, and a skill that becomes a class skill for them. The starting class listed below is in place of the set Diplomacy class skill listed in the OA book. The Doji’s favored class is Courtier, their starting honor is 3, and their class skill is Knowledge (etiquette). The Daidoji’s favored class is fighter, their starting honor is 2, and their class skill is Hide. The Asahina’s favored class is Shugenja, their starting honor is 3, and their class skill is Knowledge (Shintao). The Kakita’s favored classes are either samurai or courtier, their starting honor is 3, and their class skill is either Iajutsu focus or Perform. The Yasuki’s favored class is fighter, their starting honor is 2, and their class skill is Battle.

If a woman from a higher caste marries into another, she is considered to be part of that family. Her original family might “check up” on their relative, but for all intents and purposes she is no longer part of that family.

About your question regarding the ancestral daisho: See below.

Finally, your updated character! Looks good. I gave you the information regarding each of the vassal families above, so just make the necessary changes depending on the family that you chose. As far as gear, you get the starting gold listed for your level from the DMG. Weapons and armor may come from either OA, or Rokugan, and you may only use the magic items listed in the OA book.

Your background looks okay for the most part, but I do see a few minor difficulties. Would you please send me an email ( darknemesis6878@cs.com ) and we’ll get them worked out.

Valeren: Sent you an email regarding your questions.

Ankh-Morpork Guard: Isawa Renshi looks good! Still need a background for your character. As far as the numbers go, Kitsu Taiko as an ancestor is 7 points, not 6.

See below about hit points.

All:
The ancestral daisho: If you’re taking samurai classes, then you’ve probably noticed that you need to sacrifice a certain number to experience points to increase the weapon bonus.

For a +1, it’s 80. +2 is 320. +3 is 720. +4 is 1280. I’ll consider the first level of experience already spent, so your ancestral weapon is now considered to be +1. Since we’re just starting the game, each person only has 1 more experience point than what they needed to make their level (so, for example, Li Shenron has 21,001 XP for a 7th level character). You have a choice about raising your daisho to +2; you can either spend 3 building points to make it automatically a +2, or you can wait until your character gains the necessary experience.

Hit points: Go with maximum hit points at first level and 80% after that, rounding up.

I’m afraid there was a typo in the opening post: the starting year is 1160, well after the Scorpion’s reinstatement as a clan.

As far as feats go, you may choose feats from the PHB, the OA book, or the Rokugan book. Please forgive my earlier confusion in that respect. :heh: Please use the base classes from the Rokugan book. Any prestige classes from the Rokugan book will be allowed; any prestige classes from the OA book or the Clan secrets book must be pre-approved. No, you don’t need an ancestor feat if you purchase an ancestor.

Okay! I think I just about got everything, but if I missed anything, feel free to throw blunt and heavy objects. :uhoh:

Last edited:

Dark Nemesis said:
Ankh-Morpork Guard: Isawa Renshi looks good! Still need a background for your character. As far as the numbers go, Kitsu Taiko as an ancestor is 7 points, not 6.

See below about hit points.

Could have sworn it was listed as 6...ah well, I shall edit that in a little bit and get things all cleaned up. Background'll probably be done tommorrow

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
So... could I use the tattooed monk class? Or would you prefer I not and got with the other class? Just checking, I shall be getting my Rokugan book and Way of the Open Hand in 3-5 days. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases