I just ordered MM III and Valus

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Just ordered Monster Manual III and Ryan "Destan" Smalley's Valus Campaign Setting Sourcebook from Amazon Dot Com. Stupid me, I forgot to "Share the Love" when I ordered.

Is there a way to do it after the fact?

BTW, there was only one copy of Valus left when I ordered. Here's hoping that I got that last copy before someone else.

:D

Cheers!

KF72

Voadam

Legend
Knightfall1972 said:
Just ordered Monster Manual III and Ryan "Destan" Smalley's Valus Campaign Setting Sourcebook from Amazon Dot Com. Stupid me, I forgot to "Share the Love" when I ordered.

Is there a way to do it after the fact?

Cheers!

KF72

Cancel the order and order it again. You can only do that if it hasn't already started shipping though.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Frukathka said:
I'd love to get my mands on Monster Manual III as well.

I've had the Valus for a while (and love it). I got the MM III this past weekend, and finally started going through it this weekend. It's pretty good, IMHO. Tactics for some creatures, where to drop them into Eberron or Faerun for some (didn't notice any such for Greyhawk, but I may have missed them). Some pretty interesting monsters, and a few that feel a little forced: how many golems do we really need? Of the ones we need, do they all have to be so...obvious? And is an energy golem really a golem at all? :\

JustKim

First Post
I've enjoyed MM3 more than any book since the XPH. I was amazed to find the trilloch in there, because I've got them filling a major role in a game but never expected to see official 3E stats for them (Or any 3E stats really). When you look at the monsters by type table you can see WotC listened to the requests of their customers.. there are more fey, there are more oozes, there are more playable humanoids. Even though I wasn't one of the many requesting these things, it's good to know WotC is listening.

One thing I found silly was the avalancher, both because it's a Gygaxian sort of monster and the illustration reminds me of the first Legend of Zelda, where those one-eyed spiders come hopping down from a mountain accompanied by an avalanche of neon orange boulders.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
WizarDru said:
I've had the Valus for a while (and love it). I got the MM III this past weekend, and finally started going through it this weekend. It's pretty good, IMHO. Tactics for some creatures, where to drop them into Eberron or Faerun for some (didn't notice any such for Greyhawk, but I may have missed them). Some pretty interesting monsters, and a few that feel a little forced: how many golems do we really need? Of the ones we need, do they all have to be so...obvious? And is an energy golem really a golem at all? :\

You won't find any such reference to Greyhawk in any of the Monster Manuals. It's core, so it doesn't bare mentioning, at least ITO of the WotC design team.

Now, if Erik Mona were running the show. Ah, that's a pipe dream. Besides he's too busy as the EiC of both DRAGON and DUNGEON Magazines.

I read in the Creature catalog forum that there are already tons of noticable errors in MM III; I'm hoping the nay-sayers are exaggerating. After all, most say it's a good book.

And my order just finished the final shipping process. I'll have my stuff in 7 to 11 days, which also includes Jack Vance's Tales of the Dying Earth and The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers CD. :)

Cheers!

KF72

WizarDru

Adventurer
I've been flipping through it. Some errors are simple, such as forgetting to give certain outsiders the extraplanar subtype. Some are minor (albeit ridiculous) ommisions, such as a couple of entries where they accidentally removed the treasure and alignment entries on some variants of the creatures, but can be inferred from the root creature (or in the case of the Siege Crab, vice versa). A few are math errors, againly mostly on the variant creatures (i.e. the Initiative is wrong, usually). A handful are just dumb or sloppy.

None, however, are show-stoppers. There are some good creatures in there, shoring up some weak core monster categories. A few are silly, but most are good. Some are updated 3e versions of existing creatures, such as the Flind, for example. I think the editing is unfortunate, but the book is solid, and I'd still buy it, even with the errors.

Psion

Adventurer
Had it for a week now; ordered it along with Book of Hell and with my replacement drenched MM.

More fey is good.

4 armed Nycoloth canonized is bad.

Yugoloths powered up a bit is good.

Powered up versions of creatures is good.

Unholy toughness is good. (I thought of something like this long ago. Kicking myself for not using and OGCing it already.)

Remove ads