What's your favorite local game store?

Maerdwyn

First Post
Grodog asked anout mine in Teflon Billy's San Francisco thread, but I thought I'd try to avoid hijacking and start this one.

Anyway, My favorite local game store is Gator Games, in San Mateo, CA.

Gator Games is big (for an urban store) and bright inside and has lots of free parking. The staff is knowledgeable and all are gamers - a few are younger kids from the area, and they mostly handle the younger CCG crowd. The older ones handle the RPGs and Miniatures Games (My only complaint is that they don't really have a board games expert, despite the large boardgame section. The selection is excellent (better than Gamescape's IMO, especially for miniatures and older RPGs), and there is a different sale every week, usually 20% off all CCG's or all RPG or all miniatures and miniatures games, etc. This week (as well as the week of any holiday), the entire store is 20% off. Special orders and pre-orders are always 10%off. Finally, there is usuaully some sort of demo going on in the front of the store, usually being run by a customer, who gets store credit in return for running the demo. Finally, twice a week, the store sponsors gaming at a local pizza place, and during the summer, these nmini-cons have drawn over 100 people a night. My current gaming group started off at one of these nights.

The owner, Jean Seaborg, is also a really high quality person, which is another reason I really like the store. Last month, for example, she gave away product in exchange for customer donations to the local food drive - donating 2 $.80 cans of soup got you a $3.25 LOTR or Harry Potter CCG booster pack.

BTW, My three year old son has a standing job offer from her when he's old enough. For now, she just gives him free Pokemon cards when he goes in.:)

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Well, allow me to contribute to your thread:)

Here in Vancouver, it is Imperial Hobbies by a long. long way.

Incredible selection, knowledgeable staff and competitive pricing give it a big head start.

About ten years ago when a some friends and I ran a convention, we attempted to get local Game Shops to donate prizes in exchange for ads in the program.

We were having no luck whatsoever. The local game stores just didn't seem interested or belive that a convention would increase their business in any way...

Then we asked at Imperial :)

Francis practically buried[/b] us in product. We were giving away prizes for like 8th place in the Car Wars tournament we had so much.

If any Vancouverites can recall Genghis Con North (or it's bastard offspring Altercon), you cna basically thank the good folks at Imperial Hobbies for getting the ball rolling when no one else would.

Emiricol

Any game store except Gauntlet in Modesto, CA. They promise to order books on request, then three months later get shipments of useless cr@p no one wants (but which they obviously special ordered to fit the owners' tastes), but fail to order the stuff they promised you. So now, Talin Comics has my money, and I hope to have my book by end of week.

Ah, I feel better :)

Last edited:

Even if I didn't think they were a good store--and they are--as a freelancer, I'd have to say Dragon's Lair, here in Austin.

Why? 'cuz they give a 25% discount on all role-playing products to anyone who works in the RPG industry. :D

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
I've been to Gator Games a few times.

What nights do they do those pizza night things?

I might consider that in 5-6 months when I have time to DM again... I'll be short 1-2 players depending on who in my current batch I choose to keep.

Lendyl

First Post
Hey Billy, Where Abouts in Van you from?

I'm from Kits area.

I'm a fan of Comic Shop and Imperial (can't decide which I like better)

Dravin

Explorer
There only happens to be one store that I know of locally. That store would be The Comic Shop. While I'm not sure I'd title it my favorite it is the only one.

Turlogh

Explorer
I usually get my gaming stuff at L.A Mood here in London. Good selection and will order what they don't have with no hassels. Staff is pretty knowledgeable (moreso about comics than gaming) and friendly.

We also have an Imperial Hobbies and it blows chunks, it hardly gets new stock and sells old products at full price.

Gizzard

First Post
Gator in San Mateo is probably the best run general game shop in the Bay Area. I do like several others; the various GameScapes, SuperStars for MtG, but Gator gets most of my business by having a large selection of all sorts of stuff. If I want the Lord of the Rings board game, I can find it there. If I want a Celtos mini, I can find it there also. Plenty of RPGs, Warhammer and board games. They are constantly discounting merchandise to keep it moving; if its not a special 20% off day (like this week is, in honor of the MLK holiday) then you can collect stamps which give you back $15 on every $100 spent. They've been around for a good while too; I remember them being big in the Magic scene back in the day. About 50 people would gather on the sidewalk outside the shop to trade cards. Ah, good times.

So where else do people go in the Bay Area? Or LA for that matter? I just made a little pilgrimage around the LA game shops when visiting over Christmas, but I am always looking for new places.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases