First thing out of an "Awakened" mouth...

PenguinKing

First Post
An' if you transplant the intelligent, talking spore plant to better soil, it will give you a few pointers on how to beat the giant scorpion in a game of chess!

... wait, wrong game. Sorry. ;)

- Sir Bob.

Last edited:

fba827

Adventurer
Re: Awakened Donkey

Eraslin said:
Donkey: Ohh, this is gonna be fun. We can stay up late, swappin' manly stories, and in the mornin'... I'm making' waffles!

-Eraslin

Donkey: "I can fly, I can fly"

Villager: He can talk. He can talk!

Okay, I have to stop that now - didn't mean to digress, was just too good to pass up :D

(this and the pink and brain reference just made my evening - not that some of these others didn't add to it either :) )

There was a movie, I think it was called "Day of the Dolphin," where two dolphins were trained to talk. And all the mayhem that ensued, when the government decided that they were useful for non-peaceful missions....

Then there's always the Uplift supplement for GURPS. (Though Awaken only "uplifts" one individual, not the entire species....)

Crothian

First Post
Heretic Apostate said:
(Though Awaken only "uplifts" one individual, not the entire species....)

That brings up a question? If you awaken two rabiits (or any animal) and they mate, will you have intelligent babies?

Ulrick

First Post
The first words out of a cat named Baxter:

"I love chicken, I love liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please deliver

Meow Meow Meow Meow
Meow Meow Meow Meow
Meow Meow Meow Meow...."

Ulrick

Crothian said:

That brings up a question? If you awaken two rabiits (or any animal) and they mate, will you have intelligent babies?

I'd say no. If it were so, you'd be giving future generations the equivalent of a high-level spell, from birth. That would push the spell into an even higher level slot. It's like casting a permanent detect thoughts on yourself. If you have kids, will they be able to read minds, as well?

Of course, that means we need rules for creating magical beasts, since they don't just pop out of thin air. (Ah, for d20 rules for Uplift.... Though, in GURPS Uplift, it's assumed that Uplift is (1) manpower intensive (the work of literally hundreds or thousands of scientists in dozens of fields), (2) time-consuming (taking place over a 10,000 year period), (3) requires lots of culls (there are going to be modifications that just don't work), and (4) extremely stressful to the animal being Uplifted (without extremely talented Uplift Patrons, the Uplifted animal species risks ending up being a bunch of neurological messes).)

Ah, well....

Remove ads