I would buy a Spelljammer:SOTSM hardback

JPL

Adventurer
...in a heartbeat. I've been flipping through the Monster Manual and pondering how some of these critters would work as strange alien beasts, and by golly, there's a lot of potential.

Clean-shaven dwarf freedom fighters. Elven duelists. The bad guys with the upper hand. Great stuff.

As promised, a double scoop of John Carter.

Yep, a 300-page hardback, forty bucks. I'd buy it.

Karl Green

First Post
Hey me three... I really loved the art and the idea. At first I was a little worried that the drow might get overused as the bad-guys yet again BUT I accually liked the idea of it and it really fit in.

JPL

Adventurer
Yeah, the drow get used quite a bit. But it's strange how fresh these standard D&D races become when they're taken out of the usual context, inspired by Tolkein and Howard, and put into a new context, inspired by Burroughs.

Besides...there's pirates in flying ships, and that is always a good thing. And blind grimlock hordes who will eat your corpse after their illithid overlords devour your brain. Also big fun.

I know this has been argued to death, and I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I like this so much better than the original. It's the English major in me...I want a new game to FEEL different, to reflect different conventions, a different genre. This setting, in just a few pages, conveys a feel of the exotic and the unknown --- of unexplored worlds and forgotten kingdoms and infinite mysteries.

Anyway...if a Spelljammer TV series comes to pass, I hope that the producers will consider the "John Carter" movie in pre-production, and take a hard look at what space fantasy looked like in the days before Star Trek and Star Wars. I will be very sad if we end up with some "Andromeda meets Lord of the Rings" abomination with wisecracking heroes and wire fu.

So anyway...Andy and Erik, I hope the two million dollar TV pilot shows half the vision and imagination of your fifty-page mini-game.

Dahak

Explorer
I'd buy a classic Spelljammer hardback without hesitation. I'd buy a SOTSM hardback that had Giant Space Hamsters in it without hesitation. I'd buy a hamster-less Spelljammer SOTSM whenever I got around to it.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Dahak said:
I'd buy a classic Spelljammer hardback without hesitation. I'd buy a SOTSM hardback that had Giant Space Hamsters in it without hesitation.

Yeah, me too. I can always ignore the hamsters, but I want my phlogiston and crystal spheres darnit!

J

Voneth

First Post
I loved the art and the steampunk look. I've got to get around to buying those $20 DMGs and MMs at my store before they run out so I can run this game.

Andy_Collins

First Post
Shadow of the Spider Moon

Aww, JPL, now you're just sucking up. : )

Seriously, thanks for the kind words.

In fact, thanks everybody for the feedback of all kinds. Erik and I appreciate the interest you've shown, and are thrilled that the game has touched a chord in so many of you.

Limper

First Post
Hope this isn't to late. I also thought it wonderful work. Lean on them if you could, I would very much like to give money for such a book. Either way thank you for the artical Mr. Collins.

Remove ads