What level do you start at and why?

VirgilCaine

First Post
I don't like starting at first level. (I'm primarily a DM)
You have armor, weapons and thats about it.
A mule is a challenge to four characters. A mule.

I can see the attraction of starting directly from the beginning, but I prefer to start at third level.
Anyone prefer anything different?

Crothian

First Post
I perfer first. Its good to see the characters think a bit about challenges and to startth e character development at the beginning. If the party wants to start higher, I actually perfer to still start at fisrt and then just have them gain levels faster. Early character growth and abilites can be very important.

Felon

First Post
Third is a good starting point. It gives characters an extra feat, some skill and possibly class diversity, and most of it all it gives them precious hit points.

caudor

Adventurer
I'm a purist...all characters in my campaign start at level one.

If a 10th level character dies (or an entire party for that matter), it is time to roll up new characters. There are a few exceptions: a character gets resurrected or if I'm doing something special like Ghostwalk.

Last edited:

ironmani

First Post
I usally start at 1st lvl. Because you just seem to be able to really grow your character from there. I know stuff can hammer PCs at 1st lvl, but like it was said, it makes you plan on how to tackle something rather than just rush in and pound on it. A fact I am trying to get thru one of my players head. :mad:
"You see a shape begin to stagger from the alleyway..."
"I'll draw and shoot."
"Whaaa...."
"I've got guns, so that makes me a BMF!"

VirgilCaine

First Post
ironmani said:
I usally start at 1st lvl. Because you just seem to be able to really grow your character from there. I know stuff can hammer PCs at 1st lvl, but like it was said, it makes you plan on how to tackle something rather than just rush in and pound on it. A fact I am trying to get thru one of my players head. :mad:
"You see a shape begin to stagger from the alleyway..."
"I'll draw and shoot."
"Whaaa...."
"I've got guns, so that makes me a BMF!"

I guess he's never actually shot a gun...right?

Gorilla726

First Post
I like to start at level one. You get the whole run of things then. Just a little longer before the campaign is over... *sighs*

Gorilla

Psion

Adventurer
3rd or 4th. Generally 4th

As for why:
  1. Less time these days, would rather have spend time running the adventures I want to run instead of running 3-4 months of "formative" adventuring. It's just not as worth it too me.
  2. Players tend to make backstories that read more like experienced characters than neophytes.
  3. Better survivability.
  4. Access to ECL creatures of up to +3 (beyond that is silly, IMO.)

Last edited:

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
I usually let them start at 3rd level, for the reasons mentioned above (extra hit points, an extra feat, some ability to take a whuppin'). Though the last campaign I started it was 1st level all the way.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases