Heroes for Hire #1: A Gathering of Heroes

BrotherGustadt

First Post
Torpedo

Brock left Avengers Mansion feeling more than a little dejected. He was sure they weren't lying when they'd told him they had a full roster. "And besides, you're legally dead. It'll take time to establish that you are who you say you are, and we can't really do anything for you until then, I'm afraid." Ditto for the FF. And if anybody knew how to reach these "New Warriors", they weren't saying.

He perched atop a high-rise and reviewed his options, coming up with the same answer every time: He needed to get linked up with somebody. He had no money, no identity, nothing to cling to.

"Hey, buddy, it can't be all that bad." Startled, Torpedo spun around, and had to stop himself from gaping: Spider-Man himself had snuck up on him. "Whoops, didn't realize you were, y'know, wearing one of those kinds of costumes," the wall-crawler said, indicating the turbines at Torp's wrists and ankles. "I thought you were a down-on-his-luck clown. So, what's your game? What do they call you: the Braceleteer?"

The brief flash of hope that had sparked to life died just as quickly. "Good Lord, what a day it's been," he mumbled. And now even Spider-Man was cracking on him. "Look, man, just leave me alone, alright? I've got enough on my mind as it is." Brock turned away from Spidey, but the web-slinger just hopped up onto the ledge he was leaning against.

"Sorry. I didn't mean it like all that. What's the problem?" And then, like a dam had burst, Torpedo told him everything that had happened, except the part about possibly having died. The other hero took it all in (sort of), tried once to make a polite exit, and finally gave up. "Wow," he said when it was over. "Well, look, I'm running late. If it helps, I read in the Bugle today that Oracle Corporation is reviving the 'Heroes for Hire' program. Might do you some good to check with them. Otherwise, good luck, I guess." ::thwip::

For the first time in a while, a grin spread over Jones' face. "Yeah. That could be just what I'm looking for. HEY, THANKS!" he shouted after Spidey, now just a black dot disappearing among the skyscrapers. Within the moment, he was en route.

Dark Nemesis

First Post
New York City

Amora sat perched upon a rooftop, looking over the city below with a critical gaze. Occasionally, a cool breeze tousled her blonde hair, but it dod not disturb her from her thoughts. All I must do is show that old fool Odin that I have learned some ‘kindness and humility’, and I shall be allowed back in Asgard. Hero tryouts… that may be just the thing. A small smile crossed her face. It would be an easy task, and who knows? She might even have some fun with it. But first, to prepare. Shopping. I require a new gown. I require a place to take shelter as well… and a mortal male to entertain me… She stepped off the rooftop and began floating down to the city below. It would be easy to obtain that which she required… all she had to do was bide her time for the super-hero tryouts.

hero4hire

Explorer
Oracle Enterprises, NYC: Today

A crowd of costumed figures gathered in a warehouse sized room, located several floors under the Oracle Building.. Looking around one could see many obscure heroes who have dusted off their spandex leotards. Among them one could vaguely remember some of those collected. Such as Tagak the Leopard Lord, Captain Ultra, the Tumbler, and Razorback, just to name a few. Figures milled about as old acquaintances reunited and new ones were made.

D-Man

Dennis looked about, it was certainly an impressive turnout. He spied a hero that looked strangely familiar talking with two of the more ‘colorful’ characters, a bit odd he seemed familiar since he was sure he hadn’t met him in person. He thought his name was Turbo or some-such. Mulling over approaching the man, Dennis was suddenly hoisted a foot off the ground, the victim of a full nelson.

<OOC: reply D-Man, no rolls needed just describe your reaction and how you would escape>

Torpedo

Well it looked like Web-head was right. Unfortunately for Brock though many answered the call-to-arms that Spidey had so kindly told him about. Right now Brock was in the middle of reminiscing with two of the would-be applicants about how they had similarly tried to join the Defenders years ago. Brock was desperate to detach himself somehow from the two.

Tagak: “—and even though Tagak is blind, Tagak could see the wisdom in Torpedo’s words. Tagak knew that Hulk was a menace that Tagak should help to defeat.”

Captain Ultra: “Yeah you sure choked the chicken with that call, Torpey, even with all of us and my patented Ultra-Strength, we couldn’t take that mean green sucker down. Phew! The way Hulk tossed us into the Hudson….Y’know Hulk there reminds me of this villain of mine the ‘Demon-without-humor’. I had to tell him an ‘Ultra-Joke’ y’think that would work on ole Hulkster Torpy?”

<OOC: reply Torpedo>

Enchantress

Amora sighed as she surveyed the riff-raff gathered in the room. Certainly there were a few finer specimens of the male persuasion here, but no one has so much as complimented her once. Surely she looked resplendent in her new attire. Perhaps they were too in awe of her radiance. Yes that must be it.

“Say aren’t you the Enchantress?” Amora turned to see some sort of lumbering minotaur creature addressing her.

Bison: “I’m the Bison…I used to be a bad-guy too…”

<OOC: reply Enchantress>

Echo

Maya was wondering if she had made some sort of huge mistake. She probably was the only person in the room not wearing brightly colored spandex. She could almost feel the cacophony of sound the crowd was making. She started to head out, but was flagged down by a rather ordinary looking man wearing rather mundane clothes.

Joe: “Excuse ma’am aren’t you Maya Lopez?”

<OOC: reply Echo>

Blue Streak

There was electricity in the air. The man known as Blue Streak could feel the tingling of excitement through his cobalt blue armor. Man it was good to see some action again. Just being around all these capes started stirring up the old juices again. He just knew he was going to be a shoe-in for the team. How could they pass up such talent? Nothing was going to bring Blue Streak down today.

“Well lookie what the cat drug in!” Blue Streak immediately recognized the southern drawl before spinning on his wheels to see who was addressing him.
It was the Texas Twister his former team-mate when he was with SHIELD’s Super Agent program. He was a man Blue Streak had betrayed.

Texas Twister: “THUNDER-ation. We gots us a bonafide supervillain in our ranks boys. And it aint the first time he’s tried it neither!”

<OOC: reply Blue Streak>

Paladin

From the control booth above the crowd of would be heroes. Paladin sometimes known as Paul Denning(though that was not his real name) stood side-by-side with Oracle’s Chief Operating Officer Jim Hammond, and Head of Security O’Brien.

O’Brien “Well y’ surely have yuir hands full Mr. Denning. A motley bunch t’be sure.”

Hammond: "This is why we have the interviewing process. I have complete confidence we will find some ‘Diamonds in the rough’ as it were."

<OOC: reply Paladin>

Last edited:

Rybaer

First Post
Who are all these people? Maya wonders in mute silence as her eyes pan across the kalaidescope of spandex-clad wanna-be's. I suppose if they were famous enough to be recognized, they wouldn't be here, though.

She started to head out, but was flagged down by a rather ordinary looking man wearing rather mundane clothes.

Joe: “Excuse ma’am aren’t you Maya Lopez?”

Had the man been dressed in costume, she likely would have walked on past. That he looked...well, ordinary...she was willing to "hear" him out. Besides, as one of the few not wearing a mask, she could actually read his lips.

"Yes, I am," she says. She tries to judge what volume she should speak at based on the number of people in the area...a difficult skill, but one she has developed well. "You have the advantage over me as I don't seem to recall having met you."

Nuke261

Rogue Warrior
D-Man

Oracle Enterprises, NYC: Today
Dennis looked about, it was certainly an impressive turnout. He spied a hero that looked strangely familiar talking with two of the more ‘colorful’ characters, a bit odd he seemed familiar since he was sure he hadn’t met him in person. He thought his name was Turbo or some-such. Mulling over approaching the man, Dennis was suddenly hoisted a foot off the ground, the victim of a full nelson.

Dennis took a step and a half towards the armored guy he recognized when he was suddenly yanked up into the air!

"Huh? What the...!" I don't know who just grabbed me but I guess the tests have started!

His first reaction was to try and break the grip of his attacker. That failing, Dennis would attempt to connect with a swing and try and wiggle his feet back to the ground for some leverage. That accomplished it would be no problem to topple whoever was behind him and gain the advantage.

By the numbers, Dennis. By the numbers.

Last edited:

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Paladin (Paul Denning)

Hammond said:
"This is why we have the interviewing process. I have complete confidence we will find some ‘Diamonds in the rough’ as it were."

Paladin grinned, thinking of the Disney movie, "Diamonds in the rough . . . that would be great if we were looking for Aladdin."

Paladin turned to Hammond, "You should probably make an announcement rather soon, or there is certain to be a few brawls. I'm not certain that's the way you would want to start things out."

Paladin looked through the crowd below, trying to find anyone that he could depend one . . . or any lookers in the group below.

BrotherGustadt

First Post
Torpedo

"Somebody had to do something, Ultra. I'm just glad we were there to do what we could, even if we didn't do so well. But, y'know, with the Hulk it's like that: you HAVE to go up against him because he might beat up the whole town, but you'd still rather somebody else did it because you know he'd just as soon beat YOU up, right?
"Anyway, how've things been for you guys? Ultra, you still got that thing with fire?"

hero4hire

Explorer
Rybaer said:
Had the man been dressed in costume, she likely would have walked on past. That he looked...well, ordinary...she was willing to "hear" him out. Besides, as one of the few not wearing a mask, she could actually read his lips.

"Yes, I am," she says. She tries to judge what volume she should speak at based on the number of people in the area...a difficult skill, but one she has developed well. "You have the advantage over me as I don't seem to recall having met you."

Joe: "No we haven't met." he said smiling. "I am just a really big fan of your work. What brings you to....this?" he asked, indicating the crowd.

hero4hire

Explorer
Nuke261 said:
Dennis took a step and a half towards the armored guy he recognized when he was suddenly yanked up into the air!

"Huh? What the...!" I don't know who just grabbed me but I guess the tests have started!

His first reaction was to try and break the grip of his attacker. That failing, Dennis would attempt to connect with a swing and try and wiggle his feet back to the ground for some leverage. That accomplished it would be no problem to topple whoever was behind him and gain the advantage.

By the numbers, Dennis. By the numbers.

D-Man was initially suprised by the strength and skill of his attacker. Whoever it was, had to be super-strong, and was a skilled grappler to boot. But "Demolition" Dunphy didn't become a UCWF champion for nothing. Though his attacker was taller and had a leverage advantage, D-Man was able to get a leg between his opponent's and with a pivot of his body and a quick underhook he executed a textbook hip-toss. He was about to seize the advantage when he saw who was laying before him. Gladiatrix, a former female wrestler with the UCWF. She and Dennis had a brief "encounter" on the road once.

Gladiatrix:"Still like it rough I see." she said kipping up to her feet, and embraced D-Man, this time a bit more gently. Well a little bit anyway.

Vagabond: " AHEM! Hope I am not interrupting anything..."

Last edited:

hero4hire

Explorer
Keia said:
Paladin grinned, thinking of the Disney movie, "Diamonds in the rough . . . that would be great if we were looking for Aladdin."

Paladin turned to Hammond, "You should probably make an announcement rather soon, or there is certain to be a few brawls. I'm not certain that's the way you would want to start things out."

Paladin looked through the crowd below, trying to find anyone that he could depend one . . . or any lookers in the group below.

Almost prophetically, an altercation broke out on the floor. Paladin quickly played with some knobs on the control panel he was standing at and brought the image up on a viewscreen. He knew one of the culprits, and she was bad news. He had tossled with Gladiatrix before teaming up with Captain America. If she was here, who knows how many other Femizons may show!.

Last edited:

Remove ads