Aquatic Campaigns

firenice

First Post
As a newer gamer, I am researching a campaign for ideas. I have a half sea elf/half bronze dragon barbarian (ECL 27) that I am currently playing. As an assignment from my DM (to help me familarize myself with the concepts and all that) I am to make up a campaign concept. Not the whole campaign itself, but an idea that can be fleshed out. Telisha (my PC) is a worshipper of Deep Sashelas, and all I have come up with so far is Panzuriel plotting and kidnapping her mother (druid/15) to rid the world of an epic PC and her companions and to spit in Deep Sashelas' eye. I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
I'm not much for aquatic campaigns, but one of the posters here runs one, and if he's got a story hour you might scrounge a few ideas. I don't remember his name, sorry.

Aeolius

Adventurer
My campaign, "Beneath the Pinnacles of Azor'alq" (BPAA), is a 3.5e D&D World of Greyhawk message-based game (Play-by-Post) set beneath the surface of the Dramidj Ocean. Feel free to take a gander at the campaign background, by following the link in my signature below.

One of the PCs is a half-dragon (topaz) succubus, using half-dragon rules from Draconomicon and monster level progression from Savage Species, though technically her mother is a succubus and father is a topaz dragon (can't have a creature created from two templates, as that would leave no base creature, and fleshing out a half-fiend/half-dragon in 3e got messy). As my campaign is set beneath the surface of the sea and topaz dragons can breathe underwater, I decided to grant the PC the aquatic subtype. The character's mother was firmly rooted in the campaign's history, while her grandmother is the main protagonist NPC. Here's an excerpt:

"Over time, Zephra wrought an unholy alliance, starting with her children, the fiendish fey; fruition of her dalliances with nymphs and nixies. Her magically-grafted forearms, an unwitting offering from the topaz dragon Pazos, had gifted Zephra with the ability to both breathe and befoul the waters around her. As she took shelter in the hidden world beneath the waves, the half-fiend continued to research the arcane interactions between the artifacts of Al'Akbar and the circles of stone, while aware that the lair of Pazos was now within her grasp.

It was known to Ariss that Pazos kept his lair in an undersea cave located in the region of the Janasib isles. Within this air-filled cavern, the dragon secreted his hoard; including a collection of magical pearls, an untold wealth in coins of silver, gold, and platinum, and a handful of treasures of artistic value. Among the latter, the dragon kept an ornate tapestry. It was this tapestry which interested Ariss, for she knew what Pazos did not. Depicted upon it was the lost treasure fleet of Tharizdun, now lost beneath the waters of the Oljatt Sea. This much did the dragon reveal to his demonic temptress. This fleet, Ariss knew, carried the dire tome known only as "Lament for Lost Tharizdun".

The succubus had tried in vain, years before, to wrest the location of his lair from Pazos. She gave the dragon a daughter, yet still he held his tongue. In time Ariss grew weary of the dragon's games. After casting their child into the sea, she dispatched the dragon and severed his forearms. These she grafted onto the mangled limbs of her alu-demon daughter, in an arcane ritual which imbued her with many of the dragon's powers and memories.

Sending her fiendish fey to collect the hoard of Pazos, Zephra sought the means to travel to the faraway Oljatt Sea."

firenice

First Post
Aeolis,

THank you for your reply! I have been to your page and have read it. I considered using it, but this concept creation was to be my own, and using yours would be cheating. ;)
That was the only reason that I didn't use it. My half-dragon is bronze, making underwater campaigning easy for me, but as of right now, she is adventuring with her land based companions. This is to introduce said land-based companions to the undersea worlds. The hardest thing I have to overcome seems to be the lack of information about the oceans in Greyhawk. That is our setting for this. Epic level also. So I just puked something out, and once I submit it to my DM, I will see what happens. But being me, I have to attempt to find something unique. Something that hasn't been done, but of course in this game, that is virtually impossible. We'll have to see how it all falls.
But again thank you for your reply!

Aeolius

Adventurer
firenice said:
The hardest thing I have to overcome seems to be the lack of information about the oceans in Greyhawk.

You would do well, to find the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer.

I am working on notes for an undersea mega-adventure set in the Solnor, including such locales as Turucambi, The Sinking Isle, and The Jungle of Lost Ships. I intend to playtest the campaign as a chat-based game and/or face-to-face, then rewrite it into a series of modules. Realistically, as I am also in the process of building a house, I expect this to take at least a year.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases