Changes to the Avengers

driver8

First Post
I really dont read comics anymore. What with the instability of the industry and the total lack of regard for what was once canon I just dont keep up.

But in the old days I was a big Avengers fanboy.But now nothing seems to make sense. This from USA Today:

Comic books
Marvel's 'New Avengers' draws on familiar faces

Comic books have been a cash cow for Hollywood for years. Now Tinseltown is repaying the favor.

Hoping to capitalize on the success of several popular comic-book films, including the Spider-Man and X-Men franchises, Marvel Comics is revamping its Avengers comic book to feature heroes who successfully crossed over to the big screen.

Gone from the team are Wasp, Hank Pym and She-Hulk. New cast members, featured here in an exclusive look at the alternative cover to the first edition of the New Avengers, include Spider-Man, Wolverine, Luke Cage, Spider-Woman and Sentry. A "mystery member" is also on the team, but he won't be identified for several issues. Suffice to say he's a Marvel favorite, a Hollywood hit, and the item in his hands is a big clue.

The only holdovers are Captain America and Iron Man, both of whom are favorites of Hollywood: Scripts are being written for both characters.

But don't look for an Avengers film anytime soon, comic book author Brian Bendis says. "We own all the comic-book characters, but different studios own their film rights. An Avengers movie would cost $700 million."

Link is here:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/2004-10-21-coming-attractions_x.htm

Last edited:

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
driver8 said:
I really dont read comics anymore. What with the instability of the industry and the total lack of regard for what was once canon I just dont keep up.

But in the old days I was a big Avengers fanboy.But now nothing seems to make sense. This from USA Today:

Comic books
Marvel's 'New Avengers' draws on familiar faces

Comic books have been a cash cow for Hollywood for years. Now Tinseltown is repaying the favor.

Hoping to capitalize on the success of several popular comic-book films, including the Spider-Man and X-Men franchises, Marvel Comics is revamping its Avengers comic book to feature heroes who successfully crossed over to the big screen.

Gone from the team are Wasp, Hank Pym and She-Hulk. New cast members, featured here in an exclusive look at the alternative cover to the first edition of the New Avengers, include Spider-Man, Wolverine, Luke Cage, Spider-Woman and Sentry. A "mystery member" is also on the team, but he won't be identified for several issues. Suffice to say he's a Marvel favorite, a Hollywood hit, and the item in his hands is a big clue.

The only holdovers are Captain America and Iron Man, both of whom are favorites of Hollywood: Scripts are being written for both characters.

But don't look for an Avengers film anytime soon, comic book author Brian Bendis says. "We own all the comic-book characters, but different studios own their film rights. An Avengers movie would cost $700 million."

Link is here:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/2004-10-21-coming-attractions_x.htm
On that note, the assestment is correct...but although a infamous JLA flim was made and the cry of cost was never shouted(maybe studios didn't have all the rights...like Marvel has been given away licenses to others) Marvel's fault on that note, they wanted...no, the game plan, is to make each character in their massive library marketable...and with current technology to bring these fiction presonas to live action...its' big $$$$ time. But as Bendis put it...they crossed too many paths, source outlets for their characters and trying to bring a coeshion of characters into one movie will not happen.

You are talking about massive fees of who gets what and where it goes...in other words...HEADACHE.

So no Avengers movie...not for long time, unless they go anime, and that again...is another field of battle.

And lastily...as some characters get revamped, it seems as stated, the movies will now dictate the changes, example, SM Movie has organic web shooters...in the current comic books, the old trusty web shooters will be shooting their last web. I honestly can't say if this is good or bad...but as for the characters, Stan Lee once said in a Marvel Age preview book(Issue 1 or 2 I think)...In the future, the books will get more expensive, and the content will become more adult...(this maybe not an exact quote, but the premise of that statement was said).

Like it or not...his words are coming true.

Like all favorite past times...it was a hobby back then, today...it is all about $$$.

As for Captain Amercia...they should leave him alone, why? His Book has been hitting the restart button a bit too often for my taste...reason: he is a character hard to write for. I will not go futher into it.

Whatever books you have, put them away, for safe keeping, keep the conditions maintain, and in the next 50 years, sell..they might bring back a return on your investment....supposedly.

Sorry, if this didn't fit your question...didn't mean to 'rant'.

Last edited:

Richards

Legend
Actually, I believe I did read somewhere that they are going to make an Avengers movie as an animated feature. Not anime, though. Apparently the rights to the movies for individual characters are for live-action only.

And I just about had a fit when I read the issue this week where Spider-Man suddenly gets organic web-shooters. Gah! Keep that kind of crap in the "Ultimate" universe, and leave my Spider-Man the way he was meant to be!

Johnathan

Edit: typo.

Last edited:

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Richards said:
Actually, I believe I did read somewhere that they are going to make an Avengers movie as an animated feature. Not anime, though. Apparently the rights to the movies for individual characters are for live-action only.

And I just about had a fit when I read the issue this week where Spider-Man suddenly gets organic web-shooters. Gah! Keep that kind of crap in the "Ultimate" universe, and leave my Spider-Man the way he was meant to be!

Johnathan

Edit: typo.
Ain't gonna to happen...the change is done. And oh, on the anime part, I was correct...it will be better in that format :)

Last edited:

Richards

Legend
See, that's the kind of thing I really hate. I can live with making changes to superheroes when you make a movie based on a comic book; I understand perfectly that some things just don't translate to the screen that well, and I'm perfectly fine with having one version of the character in the comics and another version on the screen. So the X-Men movie has them in leather instead of spandex: I was fine with that. But then, some comic book head honcho gets it into his head: "Waitaminute, we'll be confusing people who see the movie and then want to read comic books about the characters from the movie. We'd better go ahead and have the X-Men stop wearing their costumes and start wearing leather instead. Oh, and we'd better revamp the Toad so he looks more like his movie counterpart. And the next time we use Mystique, let's make her all bumpy-skinned like in the movie." The Spider-Man movie used the "genetically-enhanced spider accident" instead of the "radioactive spider accident" and Spider-Man ends up shooting webs from his own body. Again, I was fine with that -- in the movie. But why in the world do they always have to realign the comic books to fit the movie? They're two completely different media, people!

This kind of stuff drives me crazy.

Johnathan

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Honestly, I don't see the reason for the outcry. New Avengers is going to be its own title, and it won't threaten the established Avengers in the Marvel Universe. They are just too well-established to be thrown out whole-cloth. The original version will still be there.

CrusaderX

First Post
Alzrius said:
Honestly, I don't see the reason for the outcry. New Avengers is going to be its own title, and it won't threaten the established Avengers in the Marvel Universe. They are just too well-established to be thrown out whole-cloth. The original version will still be there.

Nope, New Avengers is completely replacing the, um, Old Avengers. :\ There's a big "Avengers Disassembled" story arc running right now, where the old team gets destroyed, leading into the new team. The old comic is ending, and a new one will begin.

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Richards said:
Hence the outcry.

Johnathan
I hear ya, but the changes are moving throughout mostly the current titles in Marvel Comics, Spiderman, Captain America, F4, Thor(book ended) Hulk(I think) And that 'Indentity Disc, or whatever MB is having...should be stopped in its tracks, got to love a knee jerk reaction that copies DC.

Remove ads