Stupid characters.....

Limper

First Post
I was just wondering, who plays PCs with less than a 12 Int? Why and or How do you play someone like this? As hobbies go arn't we the least likely demographic to be able to actually play this.

Out of 14 characters, the lowest Int score I've played was 13. Only one wasn't human. All of them have multi-classed at some point. I tend to have 15 Int fighter types (lvl 4 +1 Int).

I only ask this after noticing the threads on Dumb Paladins and clerics and sorcerers not having many skill points. What do you people do with out skill ranks?

Just a bit of ideal curiosity.

Crothian

First Post
I've played only 6 characters in d20. Bard with a 16, Ranger with a 14, Fighter/rogue with a 14, rogue with a 20, Force adept with an 18, and another star wars character with a 14. I don't know how people can do it. Skills are so important in game, and I'll admit to likeing the Expertise feat as well. When I run I purposely make ways for people to be creative with their skills. I put in uses for every skill at some point. Not every week, but I make sure there's a reason for people to choose the less used skills. It also helps having challenges that aren't combat in games.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
For a brief while, I played a tank with an Int of 8.

It was painful. I *love* coming up with schemes and plans and analyzing clues when I play; having to keep my mouth shut was agonizing.

Fortunately, another player dropped the game, so I played his Int12 cleric simultaneously with my tank; any time I had an idea I wanted to spout forth, I used the cleric as a mouthpiece.

Daniel

Oni

First Post
Less than 12, your minimum seems kinda high. I mean isn't 10-11 supposed to the avg int of the avg human in Dnd? I myself consider myself to be of a fairly avg intellect, maybe ever so slightly on the high end of avg, but thats about it. So I really have to question your assertion that gamers are the least likely to be ABLE to play and avg int. I've always been of the opinion that people in general have, and gamers in particular, have an over inflated sense of their own mental prowess.

Reprisal

First Post
A Question of Scale

I really think it depends on what you think a "stupid character" is... I personally believe that there's nothing wrong with having an Intelligence bonus of less than +1. There are some characters that I believe do not benefit from having a high Intelligence. Fighters, barbarians, and even clerics are a part of this... While there are tangible benefits to having a high Intelligence, I don't feel that it's necessary to have a successful character.

The same goes for the rest of the other attributes, especially Dexterity. I suppose one can place me in the "higher is not necessarily better" especially when it comes to certain trends some players take when designing characters.

I suppose this is why I like having players roll their stats in order, only able to switch two of them... Nice and organic, and it can have an effect on the degree of roleplaying, but it definately depends upon the players in question.

In any event, I personally believe that an Intelligence of 10 or 11 is not stupid by any measure of the word. I actually have issues with the concept of an arbitrary "Intelligence" score (among other things), but I have to work with the system, right? :rolleyes:

Post Edit:

I've always been of the opinion that people in general have, and gamers in particular, have an over inflated sense of their own mental prowess.

Echo, echo, echo, echo... I have noticed a certain... bias whenever the answers to "What would your stats be?" start coming out.

Last edited:

fba827

Adventurer
If I am playing a character will an average number of skill ranks, or fewer, I make darn well sure I excel in some other area (combat or some spells or something). Then I just play the helpless PC when it comes time to actually use skill checks and rely on the kindness of my fellow travelers to do the spotting, searching, tracking, helping me climb, etc. I also make sure I always dismount when approaching combat (due to minimual ride skills) ... just what I do anyway.

That having been said.
I really do try and avoid that because I tend to play characters with at least average Int scores - I like being the brains, what can I say ? ;)

Limper

First Post
Reprisal: You make them roll? I prefer the point build system I want to build a character the way I want him. Rolling your atts. is making due with the garbage life deals and THIS is what we do every day isn't it? But to each his own.

Oni: I a veritable mental giant just ask me. You do have a point but I dont know how to "not know" or how to "not understand" its just horribly frustrating to play.

Skills are one of the coolest tools for PC development 3e has to offer. I cant get enough of them or feats.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Personally I'm looking forward to trying to play a barbarian/cleric of Vangal with LOW intelligence, mainly because he's VERY devoted to Vangal and his cause of bloodshed and destruction. Definately want to pick up the Horseman of Vangal Pr-class.

Never cared for Point buys. Rolling dice has always been my favorite way of dealing with characters.

Zerovoid

First Post
I will never play a character with below 10 Int. I just detest the idea of having to play a character as dumb. If I had 8 int, I would feel like I had to hold back ideas, but with 10, at least my character isn't stupid.

On a related note, how do you play characters with 8 Int, which is usually the minimum in point buy. A number of people in my group have been playing PC's with 8 Int as absolute morons, what I think of as being a 4 or 5 int. I don't enjoy having to interact with PC's who are always stupid, don't understand my big words, forget important things, don't use full sentances, etc... I also detest that the other players make characters like that.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases