Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore grodog
    My communities:

Gary Gygax Q&A: part VII

Continued from http://www.enworld.org/forums/showth...&page=11&pp=20 (which should be added to the Archive if one of the moderators would be so kind).

PirateCat gave approval after checking with EGG awhile ago to reopen these threads and discussions, so I'm doing so since I have a new Q that only Gary can answer

Hi Gary---

In a discussion at http://www.acaeum.com/phpBB2/viewtop...t=806&start=40 Paul Stormberg mentions that Dave Sutherland was asked by you to paint specific heraldry for the fighter on the cover of the 1e DMG. For anyone who doesn't recall the fighter's shield devices off the top of their head, go to http://www.acaeum.com/DDIndexes/SetP...Scans/DMG.html

I thought that image looked very familiar, and it is very similar to the image of the heraldry for the City of Fax in the Wild Coast, per the World of Greyhawk folio---basically it's the same, except that the DMG shield features the blue line between the red diamonds. To see the Greyhawk Fax crest, go to http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare.../heraldry.html

Relatedly, I've wondered if the other coats of arms displayed on the 1983 Greyhawk box set and the one knight's pennant are also suppposed to represent specific crests/characters/etc.? For an image, see http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/gh/gh-wogbox.htm

Thanks!

Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Howdy Grodog and All!

The armorial bearings displayed on the fighter's shield shown on the original DMG book are those of a Gygax who fought in French service sometime in the 15th century. As I devized all of the armorial bearings for the states of the World of Greyhawk, it is likely that when I did that for Fax I unconsciously borrowed from memory.

BTW, the actual Gygax Family arms are a white goose passant on a green field with a gold star (mullet) in the dexter canton and a bison horn in base, IIRR. The goose, "ganse" in Switzer Deutsche, sounds a bit like the ending of the family name, and it is also alert to danger. The star was supposedly awarded for the bravery of some ancestor, and the bison horn likewise, for calling attention to some enemy threat.

Cheers,
    Gary

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore mythusmage
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    ...As I devized all of the armorial bearings for the states of the World of Greyhawk, it is likely that when I did that for Fax I unconsciously borrowed from memory.
    Most authors merely write themselves into a story, but our Gary has to include the family.

Creature Cataloguer
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore BOZ
    My communities:

hey, nothing wrong with that, i base fictional family trees off of genealogical research i have done on my own family.
    don't quote me on that.

I am the D&D guru on Wikipedia (because no one else wanted the job!) so check out the D&D Wikiproject!

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

Ignore Jupp
    My communities:

hehe cool, now that you say this, there is an age old childrens song here in Switzerland called "Gi-ga-gax" that is about a goose mother walking along the road with its little children.
    Too bad I never examined the whole thing more when I was in Seeberg, Switzerland where I had military service not too long ago. I am sure I would have seen at least one of those family crests with a goose on it. There are dozens of Gygax in that village

Defender (Lvl 8)

Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews

Ignore The_Gneech
    My communities:

Greetings, Col.! I hope your health is holding up!

Nevertheless, I retract my question.

-The Gneech
    Last edited by The_Gneech; Wednesday, 27th October, 2004 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Eh, it was a dumb question.
    I'm disappointed that the second post of every thread starts with "I'm disappointed."
    gneech.com My writing, gaming blog, comics, and art.
    Suburban Jungle A very loud life of quiet desperation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barsoomcore
    "Not everybody likes the same sort of games. Everybody ought to play the sort of games they like. It's not a stupid idea to sometimes try something you're not sure if you like or not. Just because somebody likes or dislikes something you feel differently about doesn't make them (or you) stupid or a jerk. Except Julie Andrews. If you dislike Julie Andrews, you're a jerk. And Golden Retriever puppies."
    Quote Originally Posted by Sejs
    "There is a handsome and mysterious stranger in your future. He will try to kill you and take your stuff."

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Jupp
    hehe cool, now that you say this, there is an age old childrens song here in Switzerland called "Gi-ga-gax" that is about a goose mother walking along the road with its little children.
    Too bad I never examined the whole thing more when I was in Seeberg, Switzerland where I had military service not too long ago. I am sure I would have seen at least one of those family crests with a goose on it. There are dozens of Gygax in that village
    Heh...

likely so, and as i said, that is where my father was born back sometime before 1900.

cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by mythusmage
    Most authors merely write themselves into a story, but our Gary has to include the family.
    Alan, that is true in spades!

The map of the Flanaess is loaded with family and friends names in one or another form

Cheers,
    Gary

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore Erik Mona
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Howdy Grodog and All!
    BTW, the actual Gygax Family arms are a white goose passant on a green field with a gold star (mullet) in the dexter canton and a bison horn in base, IIRR.
    Compare that to the device of the County of Urnst.

--Erik Mona
    Editor-in-Chief
    Dragon & Dungeon

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore dead
    Hi Gazza,

After you left TSR, the company released some atrocious Greyhawk material (for example, WG7 Castle Greyhak). Was this a coincidence or a retalitory attack against you?

Also, after you left TSR, you finished the Gord the Rogue books. At the end of the cycle, Oerth bites the bullet. Was this your way of saying that Greyhawk is dead and that fans should turn away from TSR's version with disdain?

So . . . in other words, did TSR release the Invoked Devestation (WG7 and others) and you respond in kind with the Rain of Colorless Fire (the final Gord book).

Besides that, what long-term campaigns are you running at the moment? How many? What systems are you using? Do you have a D&D 3E campaign on the go?

Thanks.

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast