Gary Gygax Q&A: part VII - Page 13

+ Log in or register to post
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore loki44

ancient history

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    I never read the Arduin Groimoire in toto, but from those parts I did peruse I must confess I held in in no esteem...especially the part about baby fat.
    Since we're asking about older systems and game worlds.....
    Just wondering what you thought about the old Judges Guild stuff and what Necromancer's doing with the Wilderlands now. Do you have any contact with Bob Bledsaw? Have you 2 ever gamed together? I've heard the Judges Guild side regarding their old relationship with TSR, wondering if you can shed any light on that ancient history.

loki44
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.

- Plato

Ignore Krieg
    That it was somewhat too juvenille--Bobby and Uni, the magic items that propped up the team--was not much to my liking.
    There's an editorial on 3.x in there somewhere.

I suppose there was more merit than one would at first assume in P.T. Barnum's observation, "There's one born every minute."
    On a serious note, if he were wrong then we wouldn't be deluged with 100+ SPAM emails a day.

There's no chance that Francois will reply to emails, and he threatens to assail me if I happen to reveal his addy. I'd urge him to publish his Orientsl material, but that would be done in French, so precious little help to us here...

Cheers,
    Gary
    Well I wasn't looking for a means to bug the poor man, just a bit of wishful thinking.

Surely there is a bilingual game company in France that could help him publish his work.
    Chan eil saoi air nach laigh len

'Mouser, it would be perfect if your actual anme were Harry Fischer
    Heh, sorry, no luck. I am pretty short, however, at least that's what people who are abnoramally tall tell me and used to do a bit of fencing

It's funny though, Lords of Quarmal is probably my favorite Gray Mouser and Fafhrd story and was partially written by Fischer (he's responsible for 10,000 words of it I guess, never did a word count but that seems to be a good chunk).

Didn't you meet Fritz Leiber at one point? I seem to remember hearing about that. Ever meet Fischer? In all honsety I know little about the man, myself (except that he was even shorter than me, anyway).

Anyway, while I was never loath to proliferate critters in my campaign, none that you mention were ever much outside the realm in which they were introduced. Of course. the vast labyrinth of the underdark means that drow and the rest might pop up in any subterranean place. I really liked mind flayers as the disguised evil manipulators of mankind, so they appeared in several places in my campaign.

Cheerio,
    Gary
    OK, now that is an interesting bit about the mind flayers, Colonel! Any chance of you sharing a few stories along those lines? Were they in Castle Greyhawk or some other locale? Which PC's confronted them and what were the results? BTW, given you disllike for psionics in 1e did you change their abilities at all or run them as written (I am assuming you were their originator, unlike for some other monsters)?

BTW, as for prizes for the write like Gygax contest, you'll have to ask over on that thread (I am loath even to give it a try!). Who knows, perhaps an autographed 1e Dunegon Master's Guide is in your future!

Gray Mouser

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by jester47

Its odd, I read the script for the last episode and it was very close to the one I had imagined.

Aaron
    Michael Reaves did a truly splendid bit of writing on that episode that was to conclude the D&D Cartoon Show, and it is a shame it never was produced.

Cheers,
    Gary

Hi Gary. I think it's very cool that you answer questions here. Also, a big thanks and I hope you are well The books I have that you've written are favorites of those in my library.

A couple of short questions. Someone asked if you came up with mind flayers, I'd just like to second that as they are probably my favorite creature. I am using them in my current campaign in much the way you mentioned. Someone also mentioned Futurama, just curious, are you a fan?
    Last edited by Raloc; Monday, 31st January, 2005 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Typo demon got me.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Raloc
    A couple of short questions. Someone asked if you came up with mind flayers, I'd just like to second that as they are probably my favorite creature. I am using them in my current campaign in much the way you mentioned. Someone also mentioned Futurama, just curious, are you a fan?
    The mind flayer I made up out of whole cloth using my imagination, but inspired by the cover of Brian Lumley's novel in paperback edition, The Burrowers Beneath

I watched Futurama often, especially after I appeared in an episode. It ran here at the time we were usually not watching the telly, rather having a before dinner cocktail.

Cheers,
    Gary

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore mossfoot
    I watched Futurama often, especially after I appeared in an episode. It ran here at the time we were usually not watching the telly, rather having a before dinner cocktail.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Of course I always wondered... "Why a +1 mace? Surely he'd have access to at least a +5 with some special powers!"
    ---
    To Strive, To Seek, To Find, and not to Yield
    ---
    http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ightbanner.jpg

http://www.fuzzyknights.com

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by mossfoot
    Of course I always wondered... "Why a +1 mace? Surely he'd have access to at least a +5 with some special powers!"
    Heh,

Voice talent proposes, the Producer disposes

I did suggest a larger role, regular appearances, above union minimum, and recording done on location in Hollywood, but all I got from that was a horse-laugh... In short, they gave me a script, and those are the lines I spoke.

Cheers,
    Gary

Gary, I'm going to try my hand at detailing some of the major encounter areas on the large scale hex map in your excellent D trilogy of modules. Since I want to be as "Gygaxian" as possible, please let me know how much credence I should give to the descriptions of Lolth and Blibdoolpoolp in the AD&D Deities & Demigods book. Did the authors get these two deities right, or did some misconceptions enter therein?

The mind flayer I made up out of whole cloth using my imagination, but inspired by the cover of Brian Lumley's novel in paperback edition, The Burrowers Beneath

Cheers,
    Gary
    Thanks for the reply Gary I've always wondered where the mind flayer came from. Happy posting!

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast