Gary Gygax Q&A: part VII - Page 17

What's on your mind?

Heh, OK, last question for the night

With all the talk about Kobalds recently, I got to wondering if you specifically visualized them as dog-like. The picture in the monster manual appears that way, but I don't recall it being specified as such. The kobalds in The Keep on the Borderlands, however, are referred to as "dog-men", and I seem to remember an Erol Otus picture in a module where they appear somewhat canine (although I can't recall the module off hand). Anyway, was the dog-like appearance something you thought of or simply the result of the Monster Manual artist's (DCS, wasn't it?) imagination?

Gray Mouser

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser
    Hey Gary, I have a question regarding the playtesting of the G and D series modules. Did you run these modules as part of your campaign or was it a separate set of adventures that didn't impact the Greyhawk campaign in any substantial way?

Also, since Q1 was actually not of your original devising, how did you end the Giants-Drow series for those players who made it through the modules? Did they end up in the Abyss facing Lolth, face the Elder Elemental God (and be utterly destroyed, I am sure), hang out in the Drow's underworld wrecking havok, simply return to the upper world or something entirely different?

Thanks in advance.

Gray Mouser
    By the time I wrote the G and D series modules, the group of players I DMed for had altered considerably from that of the early 70s, although Ernie and Rob and Terry Kuntz were still there. The adventures in the two series were indeed a part of the overall campaign, and a number of the PCs involved belonged to TSR employees, including Tim Kask and James Ward. We played in the TSR building a good deal after regular working hours.

The successful handling of the G and D series didn't really have any impact on the campaign, save to beef up the PCs. When the lads managed to penetrate all the way to the Vault of the Drow it was most disheartening to me. They took one look around and made haste to get away, so they never did much in the way of wreaking havoc down there, let alone run into Lolth or the Elder Elemental God.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Hey Gary, just thought of another question for you

With the popularity of late of the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter movies which of your 1e modules would you most like to have made into a Fantasy/Sword and Sorcery movie? (BTW, as long as we're engaging in a little wishful thinking just assume the movie budget is comparable to that of the LoTR ).

Gray Mouser
    Whew, 'Mouser!

That's a tough question, mainly because all of those adventures were designed with gaming in mind, not the telling of a dramatic tale. The fact is that I don't think any of them would serve as the basis for a major motion picture. About the only writing of mine that might be viable are the "Magister Setne Inhetep" fantasy mystery novels. and as they are each around 200 pages long, they would convert to a film script pretty handily. Thay they were written for the Dangerous Journeys FRPG system, Mythus, is of no matter, as the few game-specific portions could easily be altered. So too the world setting, the "AErth."

Cheers,
    Gary

Hello Gary, I'm someone who recently rediscovered his love for old school D&D. Really miss the feel of the old game. I could ask you many questions, but I'll try to keep it short.

First, in the Holmes basic set, there is mention of a "witch" class being in the AD&D Player's Handbook. Well we all know there was no witch. Was there originally a witch class that got dropped or was it entirely a figment of Holmes imagination?

Second, was there anything you REALLY wanted to do for AD&D but never got the chance?

Third, besides Castle Zagyg, are you planning on doing any more stuff for C+C?

Thanks, and BTW, Sorcerer's Scroll was the best column ever in Dragon, I'll be running Castle Zagyg this summer (I hope), and Erol Otus drew the best kobolds of any artist who ever worked for TSR or WotC.

Father of the Game

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Heh, OK, last question for the night

With all the talk about Kobalds recently, I got to wondering if you specifically visualized them as dog-like. The picture in the monster manual appears that way, but I don't recall it being specified as such. The kobalds in The Keep on the Borderlands, however, are referred to as "dog-men", and I seem to remember an Erol Otus picture in a module where they appear somewhat canine (although I can't recall the module off hand). Anyway, was the dog-like appearance something you thought of or simply the result of the Monster Manual artist's (DCS, wasn't it?) imagination?

Gray Mouser
    It was indeed Dave sutherland that decided to give the kobolds a dog-like visage, likely because I had described gnolls as hyena-like. I had actually originally envisaged them as more impish ot countenence, but I went along with the depiction, as it made no difference to the game's play.

Kobolds in the Lejendary Adventure game are very different, and very potent as either Avatars or non-avatars opposing the player team.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Loincloth
    Hello Gary, I'm someone who recently rediscovered his love for old school D&D. Really miss the feel of the old game. I could ask you many questions, but I'll try to keep it short.

First, in the Holmes basic set, there is mention of a "witch" class being in the AD&D Player's Handbook. Well we all know there was no witch. Was there originally a witch class that got dropped or was it entirely a figment of Holmes imagination?
    That mention slipped by me, and all I can assume was that either Eric was planning to force such a class upon me, or else someone editing the work thought it a good joke to play. i never had a PC class of that sort in mind for the game.

Second, was there anything you REALLY wanted to do for AD&D but never got the chance?
    No, there wasn't anything critical that was missed by me...other than a proper revision of the AD&D system. Don't ask about what i would have done in that regard. The effort of explaining is not worth it, as such is meaningless.

Third, besides Castle Zagyg, are you planning on doing any more stuff for C+C?

Thanks, and BTW, Sorcerer's Scroll was the best column ever in Dragon, I'll be running Castle Zagyg this summer (I hope), and Erol Otus drew the best kobolds of any artist who ever worked for TSR or WotC.
    As the castle ruins and dungeon levels are hardly begun, and the work to cmplete them will surely take two of us two or more years to complete, I have made no plans to create anything further for the C&C game. While I find it fun as a change of pace, I much prefer designing material for the Lejendary Adventure game

Cheers,
    Gary

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

° Ignore RFisher
    My communities:

Gary, now that I have LA Essentials, you've created quite a quandry for me. Which will I attempt to force upon my group next: OD&D or LA? They are nearly equally appealling to me.

If the Trolls could convince Franšois to do no more work than to locate a copy of his work for them, surely they could find people both to translate & edit it. How nice it would be for us to finally see the work you've told us about in print as a C&C OA!

Any progress on getting a book of your & Rob's recollections of the early days as published in Dragon & elsewhere published?

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Whew, 'Mouser!

That's a tough question, mainly because all of those adventures were designed with gaming in mind, not the telling of a dramatic tale. The fact is that I don't think any of them would serve as the basis for a major motion picture. About the only writing of mine that might be viable are the "Magister Setne Inhetep" fantasy mystery novels. and as they are each around 200 pages long, they would convert to a film script pretty handily. Thay they were written for the Dangerous Journeys FRPG system, Mythus, is of no matter, as the few game-specific portions could easily be altered. So too the world setting, the "AErth."

Cheers,
    Gary
    Hey Gary, thanks for the answer to my query. Just to let you know, I found a copy of The Anubis Murders in a used bookstore back in (maybe) 1995. A great read! I had always been interested in ancient Egypt when I was a kid and found the novel quite good.

Gray Mouser

Father of the Game

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by RFisher
    Gary, now that I have LA Essentials, you've created quite a quandry for me. Which will I attempt to force upon my group next: OD&D or LA? They are nearly equally appealling to me.

If the Trolls could convince Franšois to do no more work than to locate a copy of his work for them, surely they could find people both to translate & edit it. How nice it would be for us to finally see the work you've told us about in print as a C&C OA!

Any progress on getting a book of your & Rob's recollections of the early days as published in Dragon & elsewhere published?
    Howdy!

funny you should say that, as my group is torn between the two much the same way, only a three-way split with LA, OD&D, and C&C. We played in Yggsburg using C&C rules and had a fun time, and now the fellows are dungeon crawling using OD&D and loving it. As soon as possible, though, I want to get to a new La game module that Jon Creffield has just finished and turned over to the Trolls for publication.

As for the book compiling the humorous adventures Rob and i have DMed or engaged in, i asked Rob to supply me with more of his essays, but so far nada... I can't complain loudly, though, for i haven't turned over any castle or dungeon levels to him

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

° Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Hey Gary, thanks for the answer to my query. Just to let you know, I found a copy of The Anubis Murders in a used bookstore back in (maybe) 1995. A great read! I had always been interested in ancient Egypt when I was a kid and found the novel quite good.

Gray Mouser
    Thanks 'Mouser

The Anubis Murders was my first attempt at a mystery yarn, so it is only so-so IMO. the next two, The Samarkand Solution and Death in Delhi were better, with the latter the most exciting from my perspective. Death in Delhi might make a fair to middlin basis for a film script.

Cheers,
    Gary

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast