Gary Gygax Q&A: part VII - Page 20

What's on your mind?

Mr Gygax-

I've been reading these threads for so long, and so often started a post only to stop and say "Nah," that I cannot now remember if I've actually ever posted this, or merely typed it several times. Forgive me.

My name's Matthew Colville and I grew up playing your game. On behalf of myself and my dozen or so friends, all of whom have been playing together for the last 20 years I thank you, and those who contributed to the inspiration, for your work.

I was very lucky in my life, and have been able to earn a good living and have a satisfying career as a game designer. Had there been no D&D in my life, I would not be recognizable as the person I am today. And I'm very, very happy.

After working for Last Unicorn Games and Wizards of the Coast and Decipher, I am now a designer and story editor for Pandemic Studios. We make video games. When I got my first job in the industry, working on the Dune CCG, I thanked my gaming group. Without their support and friendship, the notion of being a game designer would never have occured to me. I thanked them again when I arrived at Pandemic. I am happy to report that, contrary to what my prior experiences would indicate, there are game companies out there who make a lot of money, make great games, and treat their employees with care and attention.

I thanked my friends, and I must also thank you. Playing D&D in 1986 set me on a path that led directly to where I am now. You and others created a genre of game that captured our imagintion, led us on endless adventures, and left us with dozens of warstories we'll be telling the rest of our lives.

Further, though my formal education includes writing and composition and dramatic forms, my experiences as a game master and a player continually inform my work both as a designer and as a story editor.

I probably have a million questions for you, but obviously that's not the reason for my post. Thank you for the work you've done. Keep it up. I'll run the new Castle Zagyg as soon as I get my hands on it.
    Priest: A Fantasy Hardboiled. Download the sample to your Kindle or free Kindle app!

"Lean and compassionate." -Tim Denee

Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

ř Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Thanks Matthew!

Those very kind words are much appreciated, and they and like testimonials are the best part of sharing my creative work. As i must always point out, however, at best what I did assisted you in realizing your potential even as it brought fun and friendship to you and your comrads.

So all I can add is that I am most hapy to have been of service, and i surely enjoyed the "work"

Cheers,
    Gary

Novice (Lvl 1)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

ř Ignore Vlad Le Démon

FeuMeuFeu

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Getting Francois to do anything other than his graphic novels is a most challenging task, you see.
    Les Chroniques de la Lune Noire ?

Hello, Gary !!!

I've discovered D&D (and RPGs) with the Red Box. I've played AD&D1 and AD&D2...and now i'm playing 3.x and enjoy it...Even if D&D is my favorite RPG, i'm playing other RPG like Castle Falkenstein, Dying Earth, Warhammer (IMO the Enemy Within campaign is the best adventure ever published in the RPG industry), Hawkmoon, Star Wars, Star Trek etc...

The Questions now...

1. You have played with François Marcela Froideval, right ? Is it true that L'Empire de Lynn is located on Oerth ?
    2. Have you ever played other RPG than D&D, C&C or LA ? Which ones ?
    3. In D&D there is Dragons and...Dungeons...why have you choose to set mostly of the adventures underground ? This is not very flamboyant and grandiose for great adventurers to crawl in the filth of tunnels and catacombs . There is a hidden meaning for this ?
    4. What is your favorite color ?
    5. What is your quest ?...

Thanks for all...
    "I love it when a plan comes together."

Books used last session (27-05-2007): Ptolus Monte Cook's City by the Spire, Mongoose Pocket Player's Handbook, Dragon #251.

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

ř Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Le Démon
    Les Chroniques de la Lune Noire ?
    None other Francois is working on the next book now.

1. You have played with François Marcela Froideval, right ? Is it true that L'Empire de Lynn is located on Oerth ?
    Yes, and yes. His area of Oerth was located to the west, and it included the island of Mephreton.

2. Have you ever played other RPG than D&D, C&C or LA ? Which ones ?
    Empier of the Petal Throne, Metamorphosis Alpha, Top Secret, GW, CoC, Paranoia, Dangerous Journeys (Unhallowed [horror] and Mythus [fantasy], and a few others, including some I was testing for paper or computer game publication.

3. In D&D there is Dragons and...Dungeons...why have you choose to set mostly of the adventures underground ? This is not very flamboyant and grandiose for great adventurers to crawl in the filth of tunnels and catacombs . There is a hidden meaning for this ?
    Heh, as if dungeon crawling wasn't the most popular sort of adventure! Note that mant action films and most computer RPGs use such settings, whether actual dungeon-like places, caves, or industrial-type enclosed environemnts. think of the motion pictire Alien.

The meaning is simple, to bring fun and excitement to the players involved. What better than the lurid tension of a subterranean maze?

4. What is your favorite color ?
    The rainbow and all its permutations.

5. What is your quest ?...

Thanks for all...[/QUOTE]

I am consumed by no driving force. I enjoy each day for what it brings.

Cheerio,
    Gary

Hi Boz,

Right you are about reward for effort. Especially nowadays, that just ain't going to happen as time and energy are limited resources.

Surely you have no problems with 2E, as it was your fisrt FRPG It did lose about half the AD&D audience for TSR, though, and that's a fact.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Well 2e was my first edition of D&D. Looking back now that i have the first edition books as well, I can say that is just as different from 1st as 3rd is.

The design team definately had the idea that "The DM should let the player Win" and "Sessions should look like a fantasy novel." Two things that Gygax argued against even back in the day.

While the rules look similiar, there are DOZENS of little changes made to the rules to facilate the new style. Plus plus they got rid of almost everything from unearthed arcana, which was supposed to be the prototype for gary's 2e .

Normally i wouldn't post this for fear of starting and edition war, but Boz did bring it up first. I firmly belive that "old timer" complaints are legimtate and not just nostalgia, as people commonly beleive.

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

ř Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by mistere29
    Well

Normally i wouldn't post this for fear of starting and edition war, but Boz did bring it up first. I firmly belive that "old timer" complaints are legimtate and not just nostalgia, as people commonly beleive.
    Hail1

Edition wars are the height of foolishness. Who can argue with someone's personal taste in entertainment of any sort? Disputing which game or variation thereof is superior is much the same as arguing about what food tastes best or what color is the most pleasing, is it not?

Over and above that, in general gamers have more in common with each other than do non-game buffs, so why fight amongst ourselves about games. Now politics are a different story alrogether

Cheers,
    Gary

Your guess is as good as mine, but the old saw about if it ain't broken don't fix it likely applies.

Cheerio,
    Gary
    Boy, Colonel, this is an extremely good insight. I was one of those people who went along with the conversion to 2e and DM'ed a campaign for a while. Some of the changes in the game mechanics I liked, but more often then not they fell into two categories: 1) they revised something in the game that I didn't fully understand in the first place, or 2) they simplified something in a way that seemd to talk down to the players. This second criticism was made even clearer to me recently when I had the opportunity to peruse my old 2e PHB and DMG at my parents' house. Reading it I felt like I was reading a 4th grade primer! Definitely not the reaction I had when I read 1e stuff (even when I was in 4th grade, heh!).

The final nail in the 2e coffin for me was with all the class-related splat books, however.

Anyway, YMMV, but 2e seems to have meant well (in some respects) but to have been an experiment that ultimately failed. I didn't even know about 3e until about a year before the 3.5 revision and by that time I was well on my way back to 1e, anyway.

Gray Mouser

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

ř Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser

The final nail in the 2e coffin for me was with all the class-related splat books, however.
    TSR was short on sales bacause of the loss of consumer base, so they tried to make up for that by producing a plethora of unnecessary products. That simply drove away more of their customers.

Anyway, YMMV, but 2e seems to have meant well (in some respects) but to have been an experiment that ultimately failed. I didn't even know about 3e until about a year before the 3.5 revision and by that time I was well on my way back to 1e, anyway.

Gray Mouser
    IMO the revision was mainly malicious, and there's no question it is what brought down TSR.

Cheers,
    Gary

Creature Cataloguer
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

ř Ignore BOZ
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by mistere29
    don't go blaming me now.
    don't quote me on that.

I am the D&D guru on Wikipedia (because no one else wanted the job!) so check out the D&D Wikiproject!

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

ř Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by BOZ
    don't go blaming me now.
    Well Dude!

As a Chicagoan by birth, I'll not blame you. Mayor Dailey is another matter...

Cheers,
    Gary

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 20 of 50 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast