Gary Gygax Q&A: part VII - Page 22

+ Log in or register to post
Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Ignore Krieg
    Quote Originally Posted by foehammerx
    I still DM and will always DM your original D&D world. But I basically consider everything that TSR/Wizards did after you left, someones personal house rules.
    As opposed to Gary's personal house rules? lol
    Chan eil saoi air nach laigh len

Hello again Gary,

It appears to me that you are perhaps not comfortable answering questions pertaining to WoG. I am more curious about the campaign as you ran it and not the published stuff.
    But if its simply a matter of absolutely zero interest in revisiting concepts from over 20 years ago. I will leave you in peace.

What Level was Mordenkainen when last you played him as PC or NPC?

In your home WoG campaign what was the biggest most high level epic extravaganza you ever ran?

Was Orcus the father of IUZ in your campaign? (If not, who?)

If all your creative works were destroyed and all that remained was one adventure. Which adventurer would you prefer it be?

Do you have any opinions on Living Greyhawk?

You say you still DM OD&D and AD&D, what world/setting do you use?

Is there anything Wizards has done with D&D that you really liked. (Planescape?,)

And finally heres an important one for everyone reading this. Basically, what recent stuff do you have out now we can buy. Castle wolfmoon?, Yggsburgh?, Novels? Kidneys?

PS: Enormous thanx for your time and patience

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuzenbach
    OK, I've got one. Please forgive me if this has been asked before, but I'm just too damned lazy to look through all the "Gary Gygax Q&A" threads.

Tomb Of Horrors: What were you thinking? Don't get me wrong, I love it. However, this module has got to be the antithesis of dungeons for all those D&Ders who insist upon "role-playing" as opposed to "roll-playing". I mean, you play this thing "in character" and you die. Period. Was it, therefore, your way of indirectly dictating *how* D&D was to be played? It's been suggested by others that TOH was just your way of "weeding out" the average, bad, and good players from the truly great players, if such a thing can even be defined. Well, what gives?

PS: Congratulations on the creation of The Tomb Of Horrors. All dungeons should aspire to its scheming level of challenge and thought.
    Forget the business about role-playing. It is as boring as rule-playing and roll-playing are when made the focus of the game. Notice that I stress game, as that's what is the main operative word in the description of the activity. The majority of persons engaged in RPG activity love to go on dungeon crawls, so the ToH was designed to challenge the best of that lot.

That's the gist of it

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by MeiRen
    First off, let me thank you for coming into this Q&A. I've been loving D&D since I was 12 or so, its exciting to see you here.
    Thank you. My pleasure.

Two questions: I'm a student of East Asian History. I've always been curious, when you wrote "Oriental Adventures", what sources did you use? What was the overarching theme/idea behind the book? Why did you write it the way you did?".
    Zeb cook wrote the OA book, not me, so you'll have to direct those questions at him. I was totally occupied running TSR at the time the work was written and had no time for creative efforts

On a related note, I've always like the historical flavor of the earlier D&D products. I'm not sure what it is about the old books, but it does feel quite a bit like Dark Ages Europe. Now that we've got the OGL, I've been thinking of writing some historical flavored games of my own, simply as a hobby. (I'm not trying to make money.) Any advice?

Again, thanks for coming in. Sorry if you've had these questions many, many times in the past!

Alex Lampros, aka "Meigan Ren".
    A lot of my time has been spent pursuing history, military and otherwise, of the ancient period and middle ages...

If you develop new games don't be surprised if you can find no players outside your own group. The audience for RPGs is relatively small, the number of games available is relatively large, and all require a GM. Most GMs have no time or interest in learning yet another new system

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieg
    As opposed to Gary's personal house rules? lol
    Just FYI, the best of those are called D&D and AD&D...

Heh,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Hello again Gary,

It appears to me that you are perhaps not comfortable answering questions pertaining to WoG. I am more curious about the campaign as you ran it and not the published stuff.
    But if its simply a matter of absolutely zero interest in revisiting concepts from over 20 years ago. I will leave you in peace.
    It is the property of WotC, and as such it is up to them to discuss, not me.

What Level was Mordenkainen when last you played him as PC or NPC?
    I don't discuss my PCs, as now and then I play htem.

In your home WoG campaign what was the biggest most high level epic extravaganza you ever ran?".
    Never did we get into anything of that sort.

Was Orcus the father of IUZ in your campaign? (If not, who?)
    No. The parentage of Iuz was not discussed

[QUOTE]If all your creative works were destroyed and all that remained was one adventure. Which adventurer would you prefer it be?

Rephrasing a question i have already declined to answer will not get any other response.

Do you have any opinions on Living Greyhawk?
    None for publication.

You say you still DM OD&D and AD&D, what world/setting do you use?
    I had been using WoG, but of late i have moved play to the Castle Zagyg environment.

Is there anything Wizards has done with D&D that you really liked. (Planescape?,)
    No Comment.

And finally heres an important one for everyone reading this. Basically, what recent stuff do you have out now we can buy. Castle wolfmoon?, Yggsburgh?, Novels? Kidneys?

PS: Enormous thanx for your time and patience
    Chris Clark hasn't gotten to the publication of Castle Wolfmoon as of yet. He is still working on the last portions of the Lejendary Earth world Setting--three books yet to some, one of which is nearly ready.

I have a slug of stuff in for publication with Troll Lord Games (http://www.trolllord.com/). The most likely items of interest to readers here are the Hall of Many Panes super module and the Gygaxian Fantasy Worlds reference book series that is still in process of being expanded with new volumes.

Ciao,
    Gary

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore loki44
    Kidneys?

Huh? What's a kidney go for on ebay these days?
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.

- Plato

Ignore Krieg
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Just FYI, the best of those are called D&D and AD&D...

Heh,
    Gary

Well said.
    Chan eil saoi air nach laigh len

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by loki44
    Huh? What's a kidney go for on ebay these days?
    Did you know that a proper steak & kidney pie has three sorts in it? That is lamb, veal, and beef kidney. With a thick but flakey crust one makes a lovely supper with a glass of Bordeaux

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieg

Well said.
    Given enough time and opportunity even i can come up with something passable

Cheers
    Gary

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast